Keriel

BSL do you agree?

Okay, this page is seven pages so hopefully I'm not just repeating anything, but coming in to say where I float on the issue, and maybe get involved;

Pitbulls are actually very low on the bite frequency. I think like, Dachsunds are one of the worst about biting? The reason they gain so much notoriety is what their jaws have been bred into. There can be a horrible moment where a Pit locks a jaw and can't even make themselves let go.

That said, I do understand some BSL against Pits. It should not, however, commit to them being naturally more -dangerous-. It's how people raise them that's the danger, which I know has already been said.

Also Dobermans. They can be sweet but their brain eventually compacts and makes them irritable. But they're still a lot less frequent than the small irritable breeds.

One of the sweetest dogs I have ever met was named Daisy. She was a fine specimen of a Rottweiler. She was gentle like a lamb.

Edit: Bread... Bred... sleep.gif

Edited by MinervaClay

Okay, this page is seven pages so hopefully I'm not just repeating anything, but coming in to say where I float on the issue, and maybe get involved;

Pitbulls are actually very low on the bite frequency.  I think like, Dachsunds are one of the worst about biting?  The reason they gain so much notoriety is what their jaws have been bred into.   There can be a horrible moment where a Pit locks a jaw and can't even make themselves let go.

That said, I do understand some BSL against Pits. It should not, however, commit to them being naturally more -dangerous-.  It's how people raise them that's the danger, which I know has already been said.

Also Dobermans.  They can be sweet but their brain eventually compacts and makes them irritable.  But they're still a lot less frequent than the small irritable breeds.

One of the sweetest dogs I have ever met was named Daisy.  She was a fine specimen of a Rottweiler.  She was gentle like a lamb.

Edit: Bread... Bred... sleep.gif

Pitbulls don't lock their jaws, that's a myth. They don't even have the strongest bite pressure out of all of the dogs.

What makes pitbulls capable of so much damage is their tenacity. What makes people think a pitbull locks its jaws is all mental. It's their determination that makes them hang on and not let go, not anything physical. A german shepherd is bred to bite, let go, reassess the situation, and then bite again if it's necessary. They just want the threat to go away or no longer be a threat, they don't need to kill it because they weren't bred to hunt.

A pitbull is bred to kill prey no matter the cost. No matter how injured a pitbull gets, they've been bred to ignore the pain and keep hanging on or reengaging until whatever they've bitten dies, because the animals they've been bred to kill are dangerous to humans and to have a dog wimp out and run away puts the human in danger. Keep in mind, they've been bred to do this with large wild animals, and no pitbull should ever do this to a HUMAN. So if a pitbull goes after a human, it's a ginormous mistake either on the breeder's part or the owner's part. But I think the pitbulls that make such a grave error are extremely rare, so BSL just hurts a lot of innocent dogs and it makes breeding them go underground where even less favorable breeders will breed mentally unfit dogs and less favorable owners will seek them.

I don't really understand how BSL was ever invented. I'd prefer to see breeding some breeds become regulated and force their owners to attend classes on how to properly raise a dog than just have entire breeds banned. It's also pathetic how many dogs are mistaken for pitbull-type dogs and are euthanized because their face was too square and the owner couldn't prove it WASN'T a pitbull.

Edited by Syaoransbear

If I'm not mistaken, and correct me if I am wrong, Rotties and GSDs have the strongest bite forces, not pibbles.

I do thing that BSL is really atrocious. and I actually love the idea of breeding becoming more regulated and smart, and having breeders and trainers attend classes(Perhaps needing a certificate or licence?) to breed/train these animals. It is very easy to mess up a dog mentally, and it isn't the dog's fault.

My best friend's aunt has the SWEETEST pibble ever, he is such a giant softy, if BSL cropped up in our area he would be destroyed with no care of what he's like. So yeah I am 100% against it.

That being said. IF they MUST have their silly BSL(they shouldn't but) they need to give dogs a VERY thorough evaluation before they destroy them. And dogs that pass should be left alone. :\

But I think any dog can be rehabilitated, if given a chance and a caring hand, which is why BSL is atrocious.

Golden retrievers? Pugs? Akita?

Are you kidding me? Some dog breeds, such as the pit bull and chow chow are misunderstood. Why? Because of extremely stupid people -.-

Oh gosh, they better not place breed restrictions o'er here in CA. ; A;

I knew a pitbull named China and she was the sweetest thing. All she wanted to do was cuddle and slobber on you. When I was still taking my tec. class for animal care there was this Labrador that no one could touch. It wasn't even him being in a kennel. I'm not even sure why the owner thought it was okay to bring that kind of dog to be groomed by teens. I don't think you can pin that kind of thing on a breed as a whole. Dogs have different personalities.

A Labrador is on there blink.gif

Aren't labs friendly and all. I mean they help the blind people walk and they are used in many different jobs like a retriever, search and rescue and they are great to be around with. I understand pitbulls and presa de canarios but Labradors? Come on.

A Labrador is on there  blink.gif

Aren't labs friendly and all. I mean they help the blind people walk and they are used in many different jobs like a retriever, search and rescue and they are great to be around with. I understand pitbulls and presa de canarios but Labradors? Come on.

I guess it could be blamed on the fact there's so very many Labs - and that increases the numbers of injuries. Also, most of the people don't care about discipline - the bring a nice cute puppy, all fluffy and cuddly - but still, it's a dog, it understands the world in a dog way and should you not communicate with it properly... in the end most of the guilt is on the owner.

Recently I saw a statistic in a local paper - most injuries was caused by Jack Russels, dachshunds and Yorks, closely followed by German Shepherds. And it's all about a fact that J.R.'s have been "in" recently and very few people see the TERRIER behind J.R. - and terriers are dogs needing firm hand of an alfa.

Just for the record, we had a female dog, mixed of Amstaf and Dalmatian - perfect dog, unforgettable, the wide smile, energy and passion... now we own a Pharaoh hound, male, and he established himself somewhere between cats and parrots - the cats are superior, of course. And even though we never "trained" him, we only always act as a pack, when a kitten attempts to eat his food, he turns to us to execute the justice. But however he tries to pretend he's silly, he know his way around wel... biggrin.gif

As for "fight dogs" - yes, restrict it, but reasonably. You see them so very often at the hands of weird types (no, I do not see someone with green hair, tattoos and piercing as weird) who can't control them at all... ninja.gif And I know a few of them, I mean dogs, who are the cutes creatures I've ever seen...

So, it's NO to ban or kill, YES to some restrictions...

Edited by YDraigMelys

Labs aren't outright aggressive, but they ARE very mouthy dogs! They're retrievers and can be very nippy and mouthy, and dogs don't always understand that their nips can hurt, they don't always understand their strength when they're trying to play!

I had a lab for a short time and she was an utter sweety, BUT, she did have problems with biting and nipping people when she wanted to play, and it was VERY very difficult to teach her not to do that.

It's not outright aggression it's more having an instinct to be a mouthy nippy dog, it's just something they have to have trained out of them!

Golden Retrievers are the same way

But dogs are very rarely aggressive for no reason, it's usually the result of being bored because they have no stimulation, or being mistreated. A bored dog can be a very destructive dog.

So always exercise your pooch<3

It's not outright aggression it's more having an instinct to be a mouthy nippy dog, it's just something they have to have trained out of them!

That depends on the dog. Our next door neighbors had a pack of chocolate labs that were well known for being aggressive. They bit everyone in the family but me, and that was just luck. The only reason I wasn't was because another neighbor's lab mix defended me so I could get away. And no, they weren't just "being mouthy", one of them had Mom on the ground and might have gone for the throat if she hadn't had defended herself(he got her arm instead). The neighbors only controlled them when they bit someone NOT in my family who was willing to sue.

In some ways I do agree with BSL, although not necessarily with the list in the OP. Whilst there are exceptions (I'm sure examples have been mentioned in this thread dozen of times) most breeds are controlled or have a bad reputation for a reason. A breed of dog whose ancestors have been selected specifically for fighting, blood sports or hunting dangerous game is automatically going to become more of a risk than say, a herding or retrieving breed.

Although in each case of a dog attack the influence of the owner on the animal in question should be taken into account.

In the UK dangerous dogs like the Tosa and APBT are listed as banned; however, there are exceptions to the rule and the few breeds that are actually listed in the act are actually allowed to be kept provided that their owners are capable of handling them safely and that they have various licenses allowing them. That seems like a pretty good idea rather than outright banning a breed completely.