Dragonguy73

Roosters-Male Chickens

Honestly, I love the idea of roosters. I really liked the sprite that someone made - I really can't remember who it was, but it was beautiful. However, I would prefer that the chickens not be able to breed. The adult and hatchling/chick descriptions don't really make sense with the idea that you intentionally bred the egg - they both say something along the lines of "You really have no idea what the egg was doing in the cave." If you bred it, unless you had serious memory issues, you should remember very well why it was in the cave/on your scroll.

I too like the idea of having roosters, and making them unbreedable like dinos.

... I support.

and I would like to note that this isn't a request for something not in the cave (like puppies or kittens...) it's something already in the cave... so I don't understand why you guys are acting like it's something new................................

however they shouldn't be able to breed

but to explain the chicken's lack of breeding should be that since the chickens are around dragons so much that they smell like dragons...and therefore are scared of each other. (I'm terrible at wording things...)

Chickens are one of the joke breeds within the cave. Joke breeds are just that, a joke. Thus they are not allowed to breed.

My Shallows can breed. They have Splash. That's a joke.

... just sayin'.

I'm not going to put out my actual opinion here atm, as having only hens doesn't make sense. But having hens and roosters unable to breed doesn't make sense. And having Cchickens take as long as dragons to breed again doesn't make sense. And making a cute, *rare*, *laughably valuble* joke egg common via explosive breeding doesn't make me happy.

Er-how's this for a no-rooster explanation: We eat them.

... Wait. Then we'd eat the hens, too. Phht. Nevermind, then.

So, undecided from me right now.

My Shallows can breed. They have Splash. That's a joke.

... just sayin'.

Shallow waters are dragons, though. It's different.

I wouldn't mind having Roosters added to Dragon Cave, but don't feel the need for non-dragons to breed.

Hmm. I don't know. I certainly wouldn't mind having roosters, and would kind of like it. I'd sort of prefer that they didn't breed, though... But really, I wouldn't get terribly worked up either way. *g*

(Although, honestly, I think that the only real value - comparative to commons, that is, at least as far as trades and such are concerned - of jokes like chickens and dinos IS that they're unbreedable and can only be caught in the cave. Otherwise... I think 90% of people who trade for them now soon wouldn't.)

Edited by Imbecamiel

Why not make it so that you can breed a chicken egg, but the new egg will nave no record of its lineage?

I'm not entirely happy with the idea of chicken lineages, only because I think it would encourage people to start suggesting other kinds of fowl, and I don't think DC needs that. (It's different for Dinos because people are already suggesting new Dinos.) However, I do think it makes no sense for chickens to be unbreedable. After all, we know they breed in captivity...

Edited by ~!~

I thought the chickens were based on the chickens in Harvest Moon games? I can see the argument against roosters in that case, since there aren't roosters in Harvest Moon (for the most part? I've only played a few versions so I'm not sure, but there weren't roosters in any of the ones I played). Not that I'd be opposed to roosters . . . I love all things fowl . . . but I completely understand why they wouldn't be added for the sake of the joke.

Edited by Goslander

I like the idea of roosters because they're pretty, but I don't like the idea of the chickens breeding. To me the chickens are like the dinos, not dragons and not breeding. Chicken lineages? It just seems weird.

I agree with this. Love the rooster idea, but not breeding. No matter how epic it would be to have an even-gen chicken lineage.

Agree with the above. I'd love roosters but I don't want chickens to be breedable.

I love roosters, and I'd be delighted to have some in the cave. Breeding, probably not (I think of them as more decorative than active members of my scroll) but I'd love to have the sprites.

Whether they are breedable or not, however, doesn't eliminate the fact that chicks can grow up to be male or female, and so roosters would make a logical addition to the cave.

I agree with this, especially with the recent introduction of male and female sprites for all dragons.

Even if the poultry is supposed to be just a joke, it would still be nice to have the male versions as well as the female for completion sake.

Edited by Dubious

I support adding roosters. However, I don't think they should be able to breed. And I'm also opposed to having chickens and roosters, and not having a breed option. It's just too non-intuitive to have a male and a female of the same species and be unable to breed them together. (Also, we'd eternally be getting suggestion/request threads about allowing them to breed.)

My solution: include a breed option, but have the breeding result always be "The two chickens breed to produce an egg. It was delicious."

For collecting sake, I'd love a rooster, but not to be able to breed chickens. So what if it doesn't make sense that you can have a rooster and a hen but they can't breed? Having all chicken eggs out there magically hatch into just hens doesn't make much sense either.

My solution: include a breed option, but have the breeding result always be "The two chickens breed to produce an egg. It was delicious."

LOL. Do want.

Oh my. I'm with Sock on Sir_Read-a-Lot's suggestion: That would be hilarious. And only enforce their position as jokes-only, this not being "Everything Cave." :D

Seriously, I do think that would be a really fun solution to the various opposing issues that've been raised.

I agree with this, especially with the recent introduction of male and female sprites for all dragons.

wait, what?

wait, what?

The addition of male and female sprites instead of just one sprite.

My solution: include a breed option, but have the breeding result always be "The two chickens breed to produce an egg.  It was delicious."

This would be hilarious!

Edited by Dubious

Support. That is awesome xd.png. Definitely enforces joke position, and adds pretty rooster.

Win.

My solution: include a breed option, but have the breeding result always be "The two chickens breed to produce an egg.  It was delicious."

I like this idea. I'd never use it because the egg would be fertilized, but it's really quite funny. It would be great to have that added as a way to allow roosters and chickens to coexist - others could have fun breeding their chickens, and I could have fun raising the roosters and staring at their awesome sprites. xd.png

EDIT: Still, I think that it would sound slightly more proper to make it, "The two Chickens bred to produce an egg. It was delicious." Or, "The two chickens breed to produce an egg. It looks delicious." That way, the past/present-tense doesn't get mixed up.

Then again, I may be wrong with that. I am by no means an expert on grammar.

Edited by Snow Plow

I like this idea. I'd never use it because the egg would be fertilized, but it's really quite funny. It would be great to have that added as a way to allow roosters and chickens to coexist - others could have fun breeding their chickens, and I could have fun raising the roosters and staring at their awesome sprites. xd.png

EDIT: Still, I think that it would sound slightly more proper to make it, "The two dragons bred to produce an egg. It was delicious." Or, "The two dragons breed to produce an egg. It looks delicious." That way, the past/present-tense doesn't get mixed up.

Then again, I may be wrong with that. I am by no means an expert on grammar.

True. I would go with past tense. If it just looks delicious, you still might keep it.