angelicdragonpuppy

Auto-Approve Descriptions

I like the idea of a bit more freedom with the descriptions,and autoapproval of descriptions along with a header that states something along the lines of "(scrollname) has added additional notes on (dragons name)" to separate the standard information from user generated.

All of that can work as long as there is a report button.

And a new method of alerting mods who handle descriptions to reported content. Some tools to deal with those reports immediately would be nice too, even if its only the ability to edit the description (to erase completely if needed), or to mark it to require approval (removing it from view) before it can be re-added to the main site (giving time to edit, or talk with the owner if possible on how to change it).

I take back what I've said before; I think getting rid of the description approval process entirely is the best course of action. It would allow more creativity in that descriptions would be able to be more than just information about a dragon; they could then become poems, games where a "disease" spreads (seen it done on Flight Rising, and it was really cool), etc. It would also allow reworking of old descriptions or fixing typos without the need to go through the approval process again. I think a simple header before the description that says, "User-Created Description" would suffice.

If a person gets reported X amount of times and their descriptions are deemed inappropriate, maybe they'd need to go on "description moderation" and have moderator approval before their descriptions go through?

Edited by PieMaster

Okay I just had a wild thought:

What if some type of new paper looking texture was added on to the pages of described dragons? So the page would look like normal, except when you get down to where the description is, it'd be a different (perhaps white) bit of paper tacked on, saying "Additional notes: description blah blah blah." It would help make the site / user text differences clearer and also makes it easier to tell at a glance if a dragon is described! biggrin.gif

...One question, though, which applies regardless of how auto approved descriptions might go down; where would the report button be found? It should be easy to find yet not glaringly distracting, either.

Perhaps there could a dedicated moderator team JUST for approving dragon descriptions? I have had a few dragons who have been approved by members for 6 months and are still awaiting moderator approval. At this point, I've decided it's not even worth describing any more dragons. I'm sure there would be people willing to take on that job. smile.gif

Perhaps there could a dedicated moderator team JUST for approving dragon descriptions? I have had a few dragons who have been approved by members for 6 months and are still awaiting moderator approval. At this point, I've decided it's not even worth describing any more dragons. I'm sure there would be people willing to take on that job. smile.gif

Description mods: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=143873

(I still prefer this auto-approve suggestion myself.)

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Random idea: If this gets implented, change the "Review User Descriptions" feature into a, "Read User Descriptions" feature and still allow people to read random descriptions and comment on them. I know some people enjoy reviewing/reading random descriptions and providing people with feedback, so this would still be really fun. The owner of the dragon could choose whether to allow critiques, comments, or both, and the commenter would be able to choose to submit a critique or to submit a comment (if both are allowed). This would preserve the fun of reading, commenting on, and critiquing others' descriptions if auto-approving gets implemented.

TLDR; allow users to continue to comment on and critique descriptions at the discretion of the describer if this feature gets implemented.

this is a huge problem all the time.

I have descriptions that will hit a year of wait soon...

Perhaps at least sth like 5(or sth) approvals + no reject could simply get auto-accepted?

Edited by VixenDra

Random idea: If this gets implented, change the "Review User Descriptions" feature into a, "Read User Descriptions" feature and still allow people to read random descriptions and comment on them. I know some people enjoy reviewing/reading random descriptions and providing people with feedback, so this would still be really fun. The owner of the dragon could choose whether to allow critiques, comments, or both, and the commenter would be able to choose to submit a critique or to submit a comment (if both are allowed). This would preserve the fun of reading, commenting on, and critiquing others' descriptions if auto-approving gets implemented.

TLDR; allow users to continue to comment on and critique descriptions at the discretion of the describer if this feature gets implemented.

I'd love this <3

this is a huge problem all the time.

I have descriptions that will hit a year of wait soon...

Perhaps at least sth like 5(or sth) approvals + no reject could simply get auto-accepted?

Yes, I believe this a great idea! Bradamante has 6 accepts already, no rejects, and still... I guess that, just like the names, mods could remove 'rule breaking' descriptions as well. That is, if they didn't get rejected.

This would really speed up everything c:

Oh, I'd love that. :3 I've read some pretty epic descriptions that had already been approved on player's scrolls and sort of wished I could leave a comment to let them know how much I enjoyed it.

On the dragon’s page, a note in bold letters will explain to viewers that the information below is a user-added description.

Actually something like this would be pretty neat. It could even be as simple as putting "Notes:" before the description part. Just a little thing to distinguish where breed text ends and description text begins. This would both allow for more variable tenses (a change to 1st person wouldn't seem so out of place when it was broken off from the rest of the text, allowing for "I am the owner" or "I am the dragon" type descriptions), and would make it clearer which dragons are described and which aren't. Right now it's very easy to overlook described dragons, because on top of them being so rare to begin with, one can't always tell with a swift glance if there's custom description after all that text or not. X___x

Since concerns keep getting brought up about site accountability for things that may be auto-published if auto-approve was added, adp, perhaps you could add something about this to the OP?

I would go for something like:

Dragons are creatures with nearly unlimited life spans. They can survive for long periods of time, and no one has found a dragon that has died of old age. Adolescence is usually marked by the growth of a hatchling’s wings, although not all breeds of dragons grow wings and some breeds have other traits that indicate the beginning of maturation. Once they hit adolescence, hatchlings change quickly, maturing to their full forms in only 2 years.

Dragons don’t communicate with each other verbally, but they will growl to scare off predators and frighten prey. Young dragons will emit an extremely high-pitched squeal when they are frightened. To communicate, they use telepathy with each other and to speak to other creatures.

Black Tea dragons have small scent glands on the underside of their wing arm that release a pleasant scent. Though many creatures enjoy being in the vicinity of Black Tea dragons, the scent is intended to draw in swarms of butterflies. Though Black Tea dragons are full sized dragons, these insects are the mainstay of their diet.

Breeder's Notes:

Silly Sarah is very silly and enjoys playing pranks on her friends - or really anyone nearby, really. Unfortunately, most of her pranks involve dumping dead butterfly guts on unsuspecting passersby. For some reason, not all dragons appreciate this as much as Silly Sarah does. The other black tea dragons seem okay with it, however.

Or something like that.

(Although I'm not sure I agree with this differentiation meaning we should allow first person. But I do think something like this would help alleviate concerns of who is responsible for individual descriptions.)

Dame J is blessed with a code that, should she have been male, been embarrasing.

This is why I do not support auto accept, there should just be a certain about of user approves.

This is why I do not support auto accept, there should just be a certain about of user approves.

You should see some of the auto-approved names that have been reported to us. ;3

Yes indeed. I reported a scroll full not long ago... racism and sex-words both.

I like this idea. This could also be a good way to find and report bad descriptions.

I have a suggestion. Instead of an automatic approval system, keep the user/moderator reviews but limit how much sentences people can use to describe their dragons.

And add a few scroll wheels with pre made aspects, such as: Affinity(Neutral/Agressive/Passive), combat orientations(PVP, NPC),abilities/spells, and personality. Exept keep the abilities close to the breed. For example a Brute dragon is not going to have the same options as a Shallow Water dragon. You already have the sort of guide lines on the Dragon Cave wiki. But have variety for each breed so not everyone is the same.

Reducing how much a person can type will reduce cohesive vulgarity and with less to read the moderators should be able to sort through descriptions faster.

But keep a text box so people can still put their own back story to their dragons, so it still is personalized but limited.

(On a side note, I have noticed with games that reduce player input such as HearthStone that has taken away the ability to chat there is little extreme player harassment)

Anyways thank you for listening.

Edited by Merpoi

I have a suggestion. Instead of an automatic approval system, keep the user/moderator reviews but limit how much sentences people can use to describe their dragons.

And add a few scroll wheels with pre made aspects, such as: Affinity(Neutral/Agressive/Passive), combat orientations(PVP, NPC),abilities/spells, and personality. Exept keep the abilities close to the breed. For example a Brute dragon is not going to have the same options as a Shallow Water dragon. You already have the sort of guide lines on the Dragon Cave wiki. But have variety for each breed so not everyone is the same.

Reducing how much a person can type will reduce cohesive vulgarity and with less to read the moderators should be able to sort through descriptions faster.

But keep a text box so people can still put their own back story to their dragons, so it still is personalized but limited.

(On a side note, I have noticed with games that reduce player input such as HearthStone that has taken away the ability to chat there is little extreme player harassment)

Anyways thank you for listening.

I'll go ahead and give your suggestion a huge. shiny NO for further reducing user freedom on description, especially regarding length. It is already strict enough as it is with the 1000 character count, which amounts to less than 200 words in general.

I'll go ahead and give your suggestion a huge. shiny NO for further reducing user freedom on description, especially regarding length. It is already strict enough as it is with the 1000 character count, which amounts to less than 200 words in general.

I'll raise you an even shinier no.

And it wouldn't reduce cohesive vulgarity - one word is all THAT takes smile.gif

Yes indeed. I reported a scroll full not long ago... racism and sex-words both.

I once very nearly did the same, but changed my mind after talking with some other people about it. The problem was that the (in my mind) objectionable names were all in German, too. Names like "Little Virgin" for a BP hatchling, for example.

I once very nearly did the same, but changed my mind after talking with some other people about it. The problem was that the (in my mind) objectionable names were all in German, too. Names like "Little Virgin" for a BP hatchling, for example.

Well, let us just say that the names were very much cleaned up after I reported them smile.gif And they could not have meant anything else blink.gif ]

Little Virgin is harmless enough. Things related to the n word and to female parts are NOT.

People who have a certain amount of approved descriptions already (5 sounds good) should be moved to an auto-approval process. They're proven capable of writing solid descriptions, so they can handle the leeway. As with names, there could be a warning and penalty for inappropriate content - if players aren't sure if something would fly or not, they can PM a description mod.

People who have a certain amount of approved descriptions already (5 sounds good) should be moved to an auto-approval process. They're proven capable of writing solid descriptions, so they can handle the leeway. As with names, there could be a warning and penalty for inappropriate content - if players aren't sure if something would fly or not, they can PM a description mod.

I haven't really thought auto-approving is a good idea, but I do like this variation. Five seems too low to me, though. I'd make it a minimum of ten approved descriptions, and twenty-five might be a better indicator. With some of the excellent and prolific writers in the Cave, this might actually knock down the backlog considerably, allowing Mods to focus on the writers who need a little guidance on getting their beginning descriptions approved. <3

Just giving this topic a bit of a bump, as the description backlog is still a pressing site issue and something undoubtedly in need of fixing. I know I for one would write a lot more descriptions if the backlog wasn't so ridiculously large, but at the moment, it's nigh-impossible to have descriptions actually make it to the site, and by the time they do, there's sometimes a typo or something that makes you want to rewrite and resubmit portions. Auto-approval is seeming more and more appealing each day.

I've posted in here before (link for the curious), and usually I make it a policy not to repeat myself, if possible (because I'm sure people don't want to hear me drone on about stuff), but I would really love to see this.

It's just been super frustrating working with this site feature as it currently is; I tend not to say anything about that because I know it's currently purely handled by people who pour their own free time into it, and I dislike coming across as a critic of these people even in unintended subtext. As it is, I would really take a lot of joy out being able to describe my dragons... and it currently doesn't feel like that's actually possible, even if it technically is. sad.gif By the time my descriptions actually appear on the site, much of the emotional impact that writing them had has unfortunately been sucked out of them by a background fear of the description being rejected (thus needing to be rewritten and requeued). (Mind you, this is pretty absurd, because to date none of my descriptions have been rejected that I recall.)

I think this suggestion would be a pretty decent solution to the current problems - and I don't think it's going to result in issues, as long as the user descriptions were clearly marked as being, well, user-contributed.

Maybe the user-submitted text could be separated from the dragon description in two ways (simultaneously):

1) a blank line between the two blocks of text,

2) a little line of text reading For this particular dragon, additional notes seem to have been compiled by the scroll-owner: or something along those lines.

Something like that. smile.gif

I don't really like the idea of auto-approve to be honest, but something definitely needs doing about the current situation. I actually much prefer the idea of user-mods for descriptions only, partly because I enjoy reviewing and partly because tbh I like seeing comments on my descriptions. But maybe having auto-approval after say 15-20 descriptions approved would be good? And then achieving description mod status at 40-50 descriptions written, with no reports made against you? A combination approach basically.

And separating them obviously from the official site descriptions seems like a very good idea whatever happens.