Xythus

Search

I'm not talking about a huge developed search engine like Google, but has anyone ever had a time typing out a user's scroll after meeting a fellow online/IRC - or once saw a dragon / lineage that you liked but forgot the exact name and can't find it because there was like, say, a _ or a - or a ' or random spaces in between?

For example: You saw a dragon named D'owry Ba-ta-kah (http://dragcave.net/lineage/sUQlf / http://dragcave.net/lineage/n/D'owry%20%20Ba-ta-kah), and really wanted a baby from it. But you don't quite remember exactly how to spell it, and you forgot to note the code, so you might type "Dowry Ba-ta-kah or D'owry Batakah and then obviously you get a page that says: You can't seem to find the dragon you're looking for. And you just can't seem to find it, since the owner isn't showing. That, or you know who owns it, and yet the owner's scroll is closed. (grrr lol!)

Basically, a simple search function in which you type a name/word, and it just simply shows two things: If they exist, the dragon or the user with that name.

I'm not quite sure if you can suggest a general word, and then it shows a list of dragons/users with SIMILAR names (For example: Typing "Black" will pull up both "Black" and "Black Hole" as results, as well as many others.) Also, I'm not quite sure if symbols and/or spaces will go about this. The problem about this is that something like DRAGON might bring up like 1000000 searches, since there are some people who have Surnames, etc.

Perhaps there can be a code searcher too, or is that pushing it??

I do not deny that this isn't really a MUST BE DONE/THERE thing, just an extra, like the tele links. No immediate use, but helpful should you really need it.

I have thought of the goods and bads:

PROS:

~If someone really needed to find someone or a dragon, this will shorten their search and make it easier

~Don't worry about stalkers, since people who don't want to be stalked already have theirs closed/adults hidden, and people who could care less has theirs open

~Find a name that you want to know if is available (this can be countered with "Just type it up in the view/lineage link!")

~Put it somewhere where it isn't out in the open, so people who don't care for it won't be "bothered by its presence" and if people need to go out of the way to search for something, they will.

CONS:

~I have NO knowledge about coding, so it may be a difficult thing for TJ....or not.

~It isn't too necessary, just an extra; only useful if you need it from time to time

~With the number of growing dragons every year, will this be a problem for such an idea?

Please don't hesitate to voice your opinions, no matter how against or for you are.

Thanks! biggrin.gif I've always had this idea, but not so sure of its possibility.

A search feature for Dragon Cave? =o I can definitely see myself using this. There've been plenty of times where I've gotten the user's name wrong by a letter or so, and just couldn't for the life of me remember.

I don't think there'd really be any down sides, it would just be a nice extra thing to have on the side. It'd also be pretty fun to browse through all the dragons with, say, "Thuwed" in the name, or any old word, like maybe "Paint" ;3 It would just be interesting, even if not wholly necessary.

Actually, I think we really do need something like this. Right now, there's no way to look up users/dragons if you don't alter the URL yourself. This would make everything, I dunno... a little more connected? A little more accessible?

I actually think this would be a great addition to DragonCave, but not for the reasons the OP gave. If you are looking to contact a user about a dragon, searching DC won't help at all, because only a fraction of users are actually on the forum, and some of those have different names. (Ie, if you search and find that the person who owns that specific dragon is "Marliee" or whatever, well how does that help? There may not be a "Marliee" on the forum, and there would be no other way to contact them. So while I like the search-on-DC suggestion just as a fun tool to look at dragons, I don't think it will do what the OP is asking.

PROS:

~If someone really needed to find someone or a dragon, this will shorten their search and make it easier

~Don't worry about stalkers, since people who don't want to be stalked already have theirs closed/adults hidden, and people who could care less has theirs open

I also don't like the idea of people wanting this feature in order to "find someone". It's simply not true that people who don't want to be stalked have their scroll hidden, that's a completely invalid assumption. I have my scroll visible but I would definitely not want random people to use a search function to find my scroll, and then come onto the forums and message me about "really wanted a baby from it". No thank you.

What are you trying to say, TJ? That it's impossible? (Or, at least, that it's not possible for Google, and you're not as boss as Google, so it is in effect impossible?)

Edited by ~!~