Keriel

Mass or multiple release

I don't really like the idea of a quick way to total scroll scouring. Sounds like a hacker's delight or a confused younger sibling's easy path to screwing someone over.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Ainisari I already checked, you don't lose the trophy, I have 400-something but I still have my gold trophy.

When did this change? I thought people lost their trophy level if they released so many dragons to take them below the trophy level?

Edward, that could still happen to any dragon, I think there was this one time I accidentally released a dragon I wanted to keep because the looked the same, although I can see the danger of this, maybe a double check reminder would be useful for that sort of button. Or maybe you can only select up to 10 dragons or some, anything is better than one by one is better than anything.

Yes but at least it's only one, and it's easier to double check that one dragon.

And while I do get that people can still accidentally release certain dragons now and that they can complain about other things now, I can see this adding to the complaints very easily in people wanting their dragons back. I get that even if it were a thing, they wouldn't be getting any dragons back, but still. Those that complain will want a lot of changes.

Maybe if it pulls up a separate confirmation page with the list (name and code included) of the dragons that were checked? And maybe even a message saying to double check the dragons in that list to make sure they can't be released? Enough warnings and I'm sure it will combat any complaints nicely.

Cuz like I said, it's not a bad idea. While I don't think I'll ever use it (I just don't release dragons), if I had a need for it I would probably want it. I want it in my Pokemon games, that's for sure XD

EDIT: oh yeah, I totally forgot about hackers. I feel like there will be some people that might get hacked and all of their dragons suddenly gone. While a hacker could do that normally, it's much harder.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

Yeah the hacker thing would be a problem, I don't know, maybe security question or something, not sure about that one.

I would never use something like this. I have released a few dragons here and there, but I would never mass release dragons. If you want to release a bunch of dragons now, but don't want to keep putting in your password just change to action name. Most web browsers will remember the words that you type into the boxes. I just double click on the box and choose the action word I need, fast and simple. I would rather see more needed things worked on. Something like a mass change sort order.

With something like this we really have to weight the pros of convenience against the cons of possible hackers/siblings/etc and just how many whining threads we'll get in the Help section because of it. In this case, I really don't think it'd be worth it.

The number of people who would actually *use* a mass-release option is very, very small, compared to the number of users with siblings who would love an easy way to seriously screw up their scroll. Yes, we are all responsible for our own scroll, but making it *that* easy to screw over is just... Not a good idea.

I'm still on the side that considers this option to be too dangerous. Yes, a hacker/sibling/room mate/whatever can still cause you a lot of damage if you happen to forget to log out from a shared computer. But, right now, this is still very tedious work. However, just hitting the "release all dragons" button would be a piece of cake for shady characters - and be an incentive to actually wipe other people's scrolls if they can get into their account.

The gain is minimal, as only a very few people would actually need this. However, the risk of abuse is enormous. Plus, there are more important features TJ could spend his time on.

If you really want to start over, just create a new scroll and ask TJ to burn your old one.

Make this action, along with any future potentially-dangerous action, require on-site password confirmation and then e-mail confirmation.

If you aren't safeguarding your e-mail like a citadel then tough luck, because e-mails have been used as confirmation devices for quite some time (very long time for registration and password changes, and recently for secured login for services like Steam).

Err, I don't know. At one point I started caring about generations, decided to completely reform my scroll and therefore had to release a whole lot of dragons. But to me that seems more like a one-time thing - I mean, who's going to release a couple of hundred dragons every week, right?

Such a feature doesn't seem necessary to me. If you'd like to go through the process of releasing a bunch of dragons, it's probably worth doing it very carefully instead of quickly selecting a big group together and getting rid of them in one go - there's too much risk that you'll release something you didn't want to touch, and there's no way back. I can see how many complaints may take place because of this, "Well, I accidentally released X along with 50 other dragons, any way to get it back? It's very dear to me, I simply didn't pay enough attention."

Since releasing isn't something people tend to do *very* often, regularly or a lot, I think the way it works now is perfectly fine.

When did this change? I thought people lost their trophy level if they released so many dragons to take them below the trophy level?

It does, it just takes a few days. *knows from experience* I released several dragons when I was hovering around 200, and I ended up having a silver trophy when I had less than 200 adults for a day or so until the system caught up.

As for the suggestion, I feel it's unnecessary and slightly dangerous. I mean, what would happen if an active player with 1000+ dragons accidentally pressed the button and released years of playing? Unless there were a bunch of protections, such as requiring a password and having an "Are you sure?" popup, I can't see this being a good idea.

No. I really don't think this is necessary. I have rarely released dragons into the Wilderness, but it does take careful consideration. There are already many questions in Help about missing or accidentally released dragons, and a mass release option is just more errors waiting to happen.

No. I really don't think this is necessary. I have rarely released dragons into the Wilderness, but it does take careful consideration. There are already many questions in Help about missing or accidentally released dragons, and a mass release option is just more errors waiting to happen.

A post or two above you solves the question of accidents.

Make this action, along with any future potentially-dangerous action, require on-site password confirmation and then e-mail confirmation.
Unless there were a bunch of protections, such as requiring a password and having an "Are you sure?" popup, I can't see this being a good idea.

If you "accidentally" go through multiple layers of confirmation and protection required for a mass-release, it isn't an accident.

If you "accidentally" go through multiple layers of confirmation and protection required for a mass-release, it isn't an accident.

Not all of the questions of missing dragons from the Help threads are that easily dismissed.

I know I have put the wrong egg or hatchling in a trade before, and have had to promptly cancel the trade to avoid sending the wrong dragon.

I have used the function confirmation rather than the password confirmation ever since I accidentally killed an egg instead of abandoning it while working in an auto-pilot hurry. While my password is still required for trades, all other actions need the specific action entered, preventing me from abandoning when I'd rather incubate.

Also, when working with javascript turned off, the confirmation popups do not appear.

Finally, with the problem of someone with a shared computer and someone else acting on a signed-in scroll, it seems like someone else could do a LOT of damage in a hurry if they were mad at a sibling/spouse/classmate. I'm glad I don't need to worry about this issue.

I still say no.

With javascript disabled the popup doesn't appear and if passwording is enabled for actions your password can autofill tongue.gif Meaning it only takes clicking on the release button to release a dragon.

I think the more practical question is whether this feature is worth the time it takes TJ to write and implement it. Yes, it's kind of tedious to release dragons one by one, but it probably takes TJ even longer to write a clean code for it, and after he does, how many people would use it, and how often? Not very many. I just think this feature is too situational.

The suggestion to have multiple partitions on one scroll is a much better use of coding, IMO. Recently I've gotten so many PMs with the request "check my scroll for ______." Don't get me wrong, all the people who told me this have wonderful things on their scroll that I would love to have babies from if I had the time to find them in the 20+ pages of dragons they live with. The sad part is a lot of those people also put great care into sorting their scroll manually and having everything labelled. It would be great to give them more options for sorting, and it makes visiting others' scrolls a better experience.

Even though I don't manually sort my own scroll, I would love to separate my dragons so visitors know which is worth looking at if they're looking for something specific.

Even with multiple confirmations, if you are releasing many(think 100+) dragons at once, it would be awful hard to notice in that very long list you had selected your CB gold instead of the long, messy, inbred one(especially if the feature uses codes rather than names) or your second gen Thuwed from amongst the long list of commons. I for example have a problem in that my mouse is near dead, meaning that sometimes it double clicks when I meant a single one. What that means is that I can unclick a dragon, but because it double clicked it is STILL clicked and if I am not careful it would remain that way.

I think the more practical question is whether this feature is worth the time it takes TJ to write and implement it. Yes, it's kind of tedious to release dragons one by one, but it probably takes TJ even longer to write a clean code for it, and after he does, how many people would use it, and how often? Not very many. I just think this feature is too situational.

While I don't like this suggestion, I don't like this reason for not doing it. No one but TJ can decide what suggestion is worth his time to do.

Edited by Nectaris

To be honest, I don't see how having your scroll hacked would make this suggestion dangerous. I have actually never heard of someone whose scroll was hacked, nor can I imagine why hackers would target DC scrolls.

BUT I see how this feature could easily be abused by siblings or room mates. So I do agree that some sort of email confirmation, or even a confirmation delayed by a couple of days, would be a wise thing to implement.

I can see no need for this AT ALL, and the risks far outweigh any possible benefits, in my book.

To be honest, I don't see how having your scroll hacked would make this suggestion dangerous. I have actually never heard of someone whose scroll was hacked, nor can I imagine why hackers would target DC scrolls.

BUT I see how this feature could easily be abused by siblings or room mates. So I do agree that some sort of email confirmation, or even a confirmation delayed by a couple of days, would be a wise thing to implement.

It happens.

Spite. General mischief. Things like that. It could just be viewed as a prank by someone, without realizing that the release is permanent and it actually will effect the actual scroll owner. Or it could be someone jealous of that scroll owner, so they hack into the account and release all their dragons (or at least all the "valuable" ones) out of spite.

I can see no need for this AT ALL, and the risks far outweigh any possible benefits, in my book.

This. The risks are just too serious for the tiny time-saving benefit, and the *very* small number of users who would actually use it.

As has been pointed out, a million different confirmations are *not* going to stop you from accidentally checking a CB over an inbred, especially if they are next to each other.... I know I've accidentally *bred* dragons because they were right next to each other. I can't imagine permanently releasing!

This just isn't worth it. Honestly, if you are so interested in changing your playstyle or whatever that you want to release tons of dragons, isn't it worth going slow and making sure you do it right?

I've been releasing my longer-lineaged Shimmers and Tinsels (I have traded for and been gifted a ton and have also bred a lot but still only have two or three real 3gens - no good trade fodder), and having to do it one at a time is a real royal pain. Is there any way we could be able to highlight several dragons and release them all at once?

The risks of accidentally releasing something, to me, far and away outweigh the benefit of a few people being able to release quicker.

Cheers!

C4.

Has TJ ever restored an accidentally (or maliciously) released dragon?

If not, then I'm dead against this--too much abuse potential. Yah, someone could release all your dragons slowly, or you could goof up yourself, but it'd require a lot more work to do such damage--enough that most people would just give up.

Has TJ ever restored an accidentally (or maliciously) released dragon?

If not, then I'm dead against this--too much abuse potential. Yah, someone could release all your dragons slowly, or you could goof up yourself, but it'd require a lot more work to do such damage--enough that most people would just give up.

This pretty much. I dunno how often someone's scroll ACTUALLY gets hacked as in broken into via coding thingies..., BUT I could DEFINITELY imagine someone with an evil sibling or roommate having a problem because of this.

The thing is, too... it seems to me as of limited usefulness.

I can't see myself wanting to release THAT many dragons, honestly. ( THOUGH I can't speak for what others do and might fight useful.)

Edited by Silverswift