Keriel

Mass or multiple release

As I recently came back I looked at my scroll and just wanted to try start over.

But of course unless I got TJ to delete my account, the only way I could start over is to release my dragons one by one. Slowly and painfully.

I don't wish to have my account deleted, as there are some dragons I am attached to. But releasing one by one is so tedious it can be tempting to just make another scroll and risk getting caught (no I won't do that. too much risk for me)

I don't know how hard it would be to code or how popular it would be. But I'm sure I'm not the only person whose come back after a break and wanted to start over

I've been releasing my longer-lineaged Shimmers and Tinsels (I have traded for and been gifted a ton and have also bred a lot but still only have two or three real 3gens - no good trade fodder), and having to do it one at a time is a real royal pain. Is there any way we could be able to highlight several dragons and release them all at once?
Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I'd be okay with this. Unless someone sees some big issue with it, I wouldn't mind this feature. Wouldn't use it much myself, but every now and then I decide to clean out a bit.

I guess it would be useful if someone wanted to get rid of all their dragons, but I am a little curious to know why you want to start over?

because i've been away so long i want to catch some dragons again but it's hard to catch what i don't already have and apart from some exceptions i don't like having more than two adults of each. so starting again makes catching a less picky business as i'll be happy to pick up commons that tend to clog up the biomes.

won't make sense to a lot of people. i just have a few control issues linked to my anxiety. XP so i'm not entirely sane

I'd rather not have a mass release feature. Imagine someone with 2000+ dragons getting their scroll hacked, and the hacker being able to release all dragons with only a few clicks. That would be just too painful.

Perhaps mass removes would have to be confirmed via email? If you've got your email client hacked too, you've got bigger problems than losing dragons, after all.

I'd rather not have a mass release feature. Imagine someone with 2000+ dragons getting their scroll hacked, and the hacker being able to release all dragons with only a few clicks. That would be just too painful.

O

blink.gif

M

blink.gif

G

blink.gifblink.gif

Indeed - no !

Edited by fuzzbucket

i don't see how this would be a bad idea. and besides if you were hacked, i'm sure if someone honestly wanted to, they'd release all your dragons despite how many there are one by one. so what if it makes them easier to release them all if it was going to happen anyways.

i support this, just because some people like the OP come back to this game and want a fresh start and having two scrolls is against the rules. or maybe some people just realize they hate "inbred" dragons or what not when they play the game longer and want to release them. i know people do that too.

i don't see how this would be a bad idea. and besides if you were hacked, i'm sure if someone honestly wanted to, they'd release all your dragons despite how many there are one by one. so what if it makes them easier to release them all if it was going to happen anyways.

I kinda doubt this, but that's just me. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to tedious tasks and if I were to go into someone's account for malicious reasons, releasing each dragon one by one would be a pain.

As for the OP, there are plenty of people who only collect two or one of every dragon. I looked at your scroll and you are still missing plenty. If you "start over" like you said, soon you will have collected the two of each and there will be nothing to collect again. If you want to keep collecting, bump up your over all numbers you get.

I also don't see a reason for a mass release button...in fact I think someone came up with it before and it was shot down for some reason.

I actually approve of this idea, mainly because I LOVE a game when I first start it (or start over), because everything is so new then (no matter if I'd be seeing it for the 5th time)

and about the hackers, I agree with it's gonna happen anyway if you get hacked, whether it's one by one or all of em at the same time.

Perhaps mass removes would have to be confirmed via email? If you've got your email client hacked too, you've got bigger problems than losing dragons, after all.

I'm with this.

An e-mail confirm system for mass-release would work for me. Very safe, and still faster than the alternative.

I do not agree with this idea. Most users would never need it, and those users who do need it would probably only ever use it once, at most. It seems like something that would take up TJ's valuable time to code it for very little ultimate pay-off, when he could be coding other things which are more useful on a daily basis, like new BSAs (hatchling incubate!) or an in-game "marketplace" for trading.

It wouldn't be an awful feature to have, but it's very, very low on my list of priorities for changes I'd like to see in DC, and we have to keep in mind that we can't come up with a good idea and magically snap our fingers and it happens. Someone (TJ) actually has to take out of their day to code it when he could be studying or hanging out with his friends, and that coding time could be going to other, more practically useful features.

Plus, many users who would like to have a "fresh start" wouldn't want to have a TOTALLY fresh start. They'd prefer to hold onto a few dragons, such as CB holidays or rares, rather than getting rid of EVERYTHING. So TJ would also have to code it in such a way to allow people to check off dragons NOT to release, which would be even more complicated and take up more time.

I think when someone wants to release all their dragons, the best thing to do is just get started releasing them. Even if you have over 1,000 dragons that you want to release, if you sit down and devote an hour or two to releasing them you will be rid of them before you know it, especially if you are using tabs with firefox with java and images disabled and you paste your password into the password box each time rather than manually typing it in. Even if you can commit to something like releasing 100 dragons per day (which really wouldn't take long at all), you would be rid of them all in 10 days. You just have to sit down and do it, ya know?

if you were hacked, i'm sure if someone honestly wanted to, they'd release all your dragons despite how many there are one by one. so what if it makes them easier to release them all if it was going to happen anyways.

Unlikely. For one, it would be tedious work, and if you happened to check in during the process, you'd be able to stop it by logging in and changing your PW at once. Just make it a short, simple password and you should be able to do it before the hacker gets back in. But with a mass-release tool, you could lose all your dragons in a matter of a few seconds with no warning whatsoever. Also, consider the potential for evil siblings getting on your computer and "accidentally" using the mass-release option.

In my mind, the risks far outweigh the benefit.

...Most users would never need it, and those users who do need it would probably only ever use it once, at most.  It seems like something that would take up TJ's valuable time to code it for very little ultimate pay-off, when he could be coding other things which are more useful on a daily basis, like new BSAs (hatchling incubate!) or an in-game "marketplace" for trading...

This, so very much. It's not that I'm against it but I'm certainly not inclined to using it and I think very few people will be. Not worth TJ's time, I think.

...Plus, many users who would like to have a "fresh start" wouldn't want to have a TOTALLY fresh start.  They'd prefer to hold onto a few dragons, such as CB holidays or rares, rather than getting rid of EVERYTHING.  So TJ would also have to code it in such a way to allow people to check off dragons NOT to release, which would be even more complicated and take up more time. ...

I think that is what the OP intended, as she says there's some dragons she's attached to. And indeed, it would be next to useless if it was an all-or-nothing deal, as you can just ask TJ to burn your scroll and then register a new account if you want to get rid of everything.

I support these ideas, so long as there's like a check box/list thing so you can choose to release some but not others.

One thing that doesn't seem to be mentioned, is that there are dragons it would not be possible to get again in CB, or at all.

Renorei had an excellent suggestion, which would also give the OP something to do before 'filling up' again on those dragons still obtainable in CB (assuming that this matters in this case) although, depending on the length of time the OP's been away, she might want to check into retired breeds to be sure that she won't do anything she might later regret.

Or she could consider Releasing older dragons individually after catching replacements and thereby do it a little at a time, with minimal risk of finding out too late that she should have kept her Old Pinks and Frills...

Edit: *if* the OP's is the scroll under the name of Keriel, that scroll has a Bronze trophy and under 50 dragons, so that even if the Releasing process was already under way, there's relatively little there to remove...

Edited by Syphoneira

Not really. I mean, just speaking personally... If for whatever reason I gained access to somebody's account and wanted to cause harm, I'd go for the fastest, simplest method to cause the most damage. If they had just a few dragons, release 'em all. If they had a lot, target rares and/or CBs, holidays, things of special lineages, maybe look for ones that have a good, pretty lineage or look like they're part of a project and release or kill those. I wouldn't release all 200 dragons somebody had, though, because it'd be too much work. I could still cause a devastating amount of damage by targeting specific dragons.

I could even rename their dragons to have very, very inappropriate names, hoping to get them in trouble. I could change their e-mail and password to prevent them from being able to get back in to fix it, either. If they're not a forum member, they'd be much less likely to be able to get help quickly (unless they decided to register here to get help, of course, or ask a forum-member friend for help) or to even know how to report to TJ that their scroll was hacked, they've lost access, and all the inappropriate names were NOT their doing but the work of another person trying to get them in trouble.

Personally, I like ~!~'s idea--and e-mail confirmation would be good. Or perhaps you could have a second password to protect such a feature--if somebody hacked your main account, they'd then have to figure out the other password to use the feature.

But I'm personally very iffy on this. I can see the benefits, but at the same time... Unless it has very good security, it could very easily result in a scroll tragedy for somebody with cruel/young siblings or who gets hacked or something.

Personally, I think it would be better to allow 'multiple' scrolls in a way. I don't mean let people make multiple accounts, but have several scrolls linked to one account. We have pages for viewing X number of dragons at a time, so perhaps elaborate on that idea and have 'multiple scrolls' where one keeps records of different things? It would make sense from an RP perspective, too--you, as the scroll owner, would have several scrolls with more detailed and specific information. Perhaps one scroll in which you list only inbred dragons, or one scroll in which you record the members of a certain lineage project. Or maybe you just keep all your males listed on one scroll and females on another, or you keep each breed to it's own scroll.

In such a way, you could be perhaps allowed X number of scrolls to link to your main one. You could set which scroll was your main scroll, and people viewing it could have a note like "You find a small sack of scrolls with [username] written on it. You take out the scroll with the fanciest ribbon tying it closed. The other scrolls seem to have tags attached to them, would you like to look at one of them instead?" and you could click one of the other scrolls (perhaps users could label them themselves?) or pick "No, this one looks interesting for now." to look at the main scroll.

That way, people who want to 'start over' can put a blank scroll as their main scroll. I've thought about starting over a few times, but I'd rather not have to give up all my dragons--especially the ones that are hard to get now!

When you checked your account, you'd be able to view your main scroll, with links to your other scrolls.

Naturally, dragons could be sorted on each scroll according to how you'd like to sort them, and they could be moved freely from one scroll to another--and maybe they could show up on multiple scrolls? And if you got tired of having several, you could simply move the dragons to another scroll and destroy the now-blank scroll they had been on?

That would allow for not just the ability for users to start over if they chose without having to get rid of everything, but it would also let people sort things in more ways that we have now...

/long post

You could set which scroll was your main scroll, and people viewing it could have a note like "You find a small sack of scrolls with [username] written on it. You take out the scroll with the fanciest ribbon tying it closed. The other scrolls seem to have tags attached to them, would you like to look at one of them instead?" and you could click one of the other scrolls (perhaps users could label them themselves?) or pick "No, this one looks interesting for now." to look at the main scroll.

Now this would be a good idea for those with 1000s of dragons. Even with 500+ it's a lot of scrolling searching for mates when breeding. It'd cut down on loading.

It certainly couldn't be an all or nothing system.

I have seen this style and the same feature I am after on many other similar sites that are nowhere near as developed. This certainly wouldn't be a priority feature. I agree with that. Ideas such as mossy egg to move blockers out of biomes would rank higher in my opinion and market place to.

I recall there being threads on hatchling incubating already and it being shot down because it's just another shortcut allowing people to collect faster. This is more about convenience than anything, as I know there are people who may not want to wipe the scroll but just clean it up. Over all it would make gaming experience just that bit easier allowing more concentration on the fun side instead of the tedious work

I am not a coder, but I do know that template codes are available for this type of set up. My friend is an amateur coder and my brother as well. Both have used these templates before in website design. I know it isn't professional level, but it's easier than starting from scratch. And this forum is a template-based forum. I’ve seen thousands with the same template but different set-up and graphics. So TJ isn't against using templates

As for people not using it, it's amazing how people will change attitudes when an option becomes available. I’ve done it often where I’ve thought I would never use new features (on other sites mainly as I have been away from DC) and now I swear by them.

As for risks, there’s risk in kill functions and the vampire bite and many other available functions that require password verification. If people take the necessary precautions to protect their account there shouldn’t be too many issues.

It isn’t a kink free idea. But no brand new idea ever is

Edit: i also like the idea of having multiple scrolls on the one account. that way people can organize. so a scroll for rares, a scroll for CB a scroll for AP etc. and in my case the ability to ignore a certain scroll and have the illusion of starting over. i just imagine tht would harder to code. but less risk.

Edited by Keriel

I guess it would be useful if someone wanted to get rid of all their dragons, but I am a little curious to know why you want to start over?

true, but anyways, I bet if you asked TJ he could do something maybe. like send him an email and including the codes of the dragons you want to keep or what ever. either way, im pretty sure I wouldnt mind doing it. wasts more of my time witch is something I want to do.

I don't know if any of you guys have want to start over in DC or just release a bunch of dragons. At first I didn't care about linages, my goal only being to earn the golden trophy. Now that I've reach that goal I have multiple dragons I want to collect clean and cb linages to do breeding projects and stuff but I don't most of my messy linages anymore and having no wish to kill them. Now I have to go and enter my password repeatedly to at least 200 dragons I don't need anymore. So why not have a button that works like a release button but it allows you to pick however many dragons (like you would when you're creating a trade) you want to release into the wild and enter a password like you normally would but only once, instead of entering it over and over and over again.

This sounds awfully dangerous. I can already see the complaints from people accidentally checking the wrong dragon and releasing it.

It's not a bad idea, just sounds dangerous.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

Yes please!

+1 from me, But like where an alternate custom sort layout, you can click a checkbox on all the ones you'd like to release. Yes please!

@EEF, it would be their own fault... They can complain, but don't people on DC complain incessantly anyway?

Edited by IcarusTheDragon

I don't know if any of you guys have want to start over in DC or just release a bunch of dragons. At first I didn't care about linages, my goal only being to earn the golden trophy. Now that I've reach that goal I have multiple dragons I want to collect clean and cb linages to do breeding projects and stuff but I don't most of my messy linages anymore and having no wish to kill them. Now I have to go and enter my password repeatedly to at least 200 dragons I don't need anymore. So why not have a button that works like a release button but it allows you to pick however many dragons (like you would when you're creating a trade) you want to release into the wild and enter a password like you normally would but only once, instead of entering it over and over and over again.

If you could do that, and did, I am pretty sure your trophy level would drop to reflect the new number you have. It would be much better to release them one at a time, as you get new ones. Or you could use them as markers to divide generations and name them accordingly. I usually do that with frozen hatchies, but adults would work.

And with those kind of names, you would not accidentally breed them.

Edited by ainisarie

Edward, that could still happen to any dragon, I think there was this one time I accidentally released a dragon I wanted to keep because the looked the same, although I can see the danger of this, maybe a double check reminder would be useful for that sort of button. Or maybe you can only select up to 10 dragons or some, anything is better than one by one is better than anything.

Ainisari I already checked, you don't lose the trophy, I have 400-something but I still have my gold trophy.

Edited by Featherheart