Floralpikmin99

Minecraft Dragcave Mod.

Hi everyone. I want to make a DC Minecraft mod. But before I start I need to know how the artists of some dragons want me to give them credit. I want to add most of the current dragons. So I want to know before I start if an artist doesn't want me to add one of their dragons.

And for those who don't know what Minecraft is, here is the Wikia:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Minecraft_Wiki

While I have no experience with java coding, my brother is learning ruby, which can be converted. I'm hoping that this could be a fun little project for him to work on. But, as said earlier, I didn't want to officially start until I knew if I could add any dragons at all.

Possible Features:

~Wild dragons will spawn randomly around the world. Most dragons should have a rough estimate of how they should be sized.

~Dragon breeding might be possible.

~Wild Dragons will act based on their DC description. Any description that doesn't say their nature will be neutral. Meaning they'll attack if you attack them first.

~You can tame neutral and passive dragons. Perhaps by feeding them the kind of food they eat. Again, this will be based on their description and maybe even appearance.

~Players can use a saddle to fly on larger dragons.

If all goes to plan, this should be a very decent mod. Plus it will add a nice touch to Minecraft worlds.

I will also accept any help from anyone willing to! Just contact me on the MC forum instead. wink.gif My MC username is Jclermont.

Possible Dragons So far:

Water Walker

Horse

Gray

Black

Dark Mist

Skywing

White

Pygmy

Green

Harvest

GoN

~~~~~~~~~~~

I will PM all of the artist for these dragons tonight. I will erase all of the ones I can't add for the release.

Current Models:

Black Dragon Model:user posted image

Water Walker Model:user posted image

Gray Dragon Model: user posted image

Horse Dragon Model:user posted image

Green Dragon Model:user posted image

Harvest Dragon Model:user posted image

~Animation Plan~

Since this will be my first MC mod, I don't know how well they'll all stick together at first. My plan is that they'll have segmented necks, tails, and bodies. They'll also get better wings eventually, for now, the models are updated and look much nicer than my old ones.

Edited by Floralpikmin99

Oh, this sounds very interesting! How are you going to code it, though? Will these eggs need certain requirements to grow, for instance for every person that joins your world, the eggs gets closer to hatching? Can you ride the dragons or breed them? *rambles on and goes to borrow parent's credit card and buy minecraft*

Oh, this sounds very interesting! How are you going to code it, though? Will these eggs need certain requirements to grow, for instance for every person that joins your world, the eggs gets closer to hatching? Can you ride the dragons or breed them? *rambles on and goes to borrow parent's credit card and buy minecraft*

Well not everyone knows about DC so I thought players can hatch dragon eggs by using an incubator. The incubator will look and act similar like the incubator for Moas in the Aether mod. Dragons will also breed if a male and female are together. A random egg of the two will appear.

A player can also ride any dragon only if He/She hatched it. Wild dragons will not allow the player to ride.

Ooh, wild dragons are in it too?! I know what game I want for Christmas. And what mod I want to download along with it. xd.png

because some of the artists don't look at this section, you have to PM all of them to make sure they will let you. also, this is a good thread to look at for permissions on the artists' artwork: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=51554

Thanks for the Link! Now I'm able to know what dragons I can and can't add. biggrin.gif

Since I need to look up a lot of dragons I'll release them all over time. wink.gif

Would you be attempting to scale them properly given the height of the player and cows, etc? Most dragons are conservatively around horse/elephant size. Are you familiar with Techne? Are you planning to animate them? How will you be managing their behavior? Do you have someone good at Java on hand, or are you just being hopeful?

Oh, and will they have unique animations and sounds? Like, if you get permission to use the paper dragon, will it make little crinkly paper sounds when they walk? xd.png

Would you be attempting to scale them properly given the height of the player and cows, etc? Most dragons are conservatively around horse/elephant size. Are you familiar with Techne? Are you planning to animate them? How will you be managing their behavior? Do you have someone good at Java on hand, or are you just being hopeful?

My brother will hopefully learn to code soon. If not my dad's great at coding and can probably have half of the coding done in 5 minutes. xd.png

TLOSpyrogirl: Hopefully, But maybe not right away... The paper idea is interesting though... I'll try it if I can add Papers. wink.gif

Guess what mod I'm getting! Not this one! jk

This sounds like the greatest idea of all time! Please send me a PM when you're done!

I have a question (if I get a certain answer I'll DEFINETLY download) will it be for JUST modloader or modloader + forge, or what? Some people make one for each, but that's a bit extreme, I say...

I don't play Minecraft, do you want to make the DC dragons similar like the Enderdragon? but I have a question the creatures in Minecraft are all blocky built, but do you know maybe if it would possible to import 3D models who are smoother and not blocky build into Minecraft? because I currently made 3D models but it would be awesone if I could use them.

I would look to the Mo' Creatures mod for some inspiration and possibly even help. Torojima, the creator of the Chococraft mod is also AMAZING and may be able to give you some pointers.

As far as breeding goes, I would recommend using a system similar to Chococraft, using a custom, farmable crop as the breeding item and past that treating breeding in the same way as in vanilla minecraft.

On Forge VS Modloader, do Forge, it has a modloader built into it and also seems to be far more common than Modloader. As far as I know it also handles item ID's to avoid conflicts.

If you need someone to do HD textures, and you have a good, labeled template for the mob skins, I may be able to help out there. I did a 128x set for Chococraft and a 64x for Minecraft Comes Alive already.

(I'm fairly experienced in minecraft and the forums, can ya' tell? biggrin.gif )

This would be awesomesauce if it ever gets finished. *bookmarks page*

Wow, I kinda forgot about this entirely! Time to answer all questions...

@Spelunker, Seiti: Adding models that aren't blocky would kinda destroy the point of it being in Minecraft. Everything has to be in cubes. However, I have seen some really creative models coming from the Pokemobs mob that make the model look nice and round. There are also a couple mobs that break down models further for vanilla MC mobs, making them animate nicely. I can try to make models similar to this, but no promise that it will happen.

@Zigadooz: I don't think the mod will come out with breeding right off the bat. Maybe for hybrids (If I get the right permission) But it might take some time for my brother, (Or anyone else wanting to help with code) so get everything working. However, adding more crops sounds interesting. I can try to think of a few fitting crops.

-Also if you want to help with models/textures that'd be great! Since I forgot about this topic, my current flats are terribly outdated and ugly. I'll be sure to update sprites now as I make them. (If I don't forget again)

@Xarria: I'm not sure which one it'll end out to be. Knowing that MC Forge is a pain to install I'll try to shoot for the simplest way to download possible.

Since all the dragons are pixel art, then making them as blocks actually shouldn't be that bad... right?

tongue.gif

Since all the dragons are pixel art, then making them as blocks actually shouldn't be that bad... right?

tongue.gif

Well, unless Zigadooz wants to enhance the quality, they won't look perfect. They won't have the same fantastic shading and textures they have now. They're really simplified. But it's down to your opinion if they're "Good" or not.

tongue.gif