kittygrl

Gandalf or Dumbledore

Gandolf or Dumbledore?  

254 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, here's the main thing. I vote Gandalf. Spoilers below for HP and LOTR.

1. They both die. But Gandalf comes back even more powerful.

2. Gandalf died in a battle with a Balrog. Which is freakin' huge and powerful. Dumbledore planned his death because he was stupid enough to put on that ring! If he didn't, he would still be alive and DH would be much different.

3. Dumbledore plays everyone likes puppets. Gandalf is all, screw that! I'm going into battle myself!

4. Gandalf was first.

Don't get me wrong, I love both. But Gandalf wins hands down.

user posted image

This is why I chose Dumbledore. He had his funny quirks, Gandalf did not. He was human and therefore closer to readers. Gandalf was insanely powerful and could solve problems in a bat of an eye (though most of the time he didn't; gotta give him credit for that).

Also, Snape's face = pure WIN!

This is why I chose Dumbledore. He had his funny quirks, Gandalf did not. He was human and therefore closer to readers. Gandalf was insanely powerful and could solve problems in a bat of an eye (though most of the time he didn't; gotta give him credit for that).

Also, Snape's face = pure WIN!

This.

user posted image

^This is false. Yoda said it first!! (just thought I'd let you all know that)

I'm a kid, I read Lord Of The Rings, and I hated every second of it. Of course, I'm also the kid who is obsessed with Eragon, the series hated by about everyone.

Oh yeah, and I voted Dumbledore.

^To the person who wrote this and the other one who responded confused about people hating Eragon: I like Eragon (am obsessed with it too) but I also like LOTR so that part's a bit different to this quote. But yes, tons of people hate the series.

I choose Gandalf. Not only was he first but he is also way better than Dumbledore. Pretty much my side falls along the lines of what Dragonrider said... except (and no, before people start accusing me of being a hater) I don't prefer Harry Potter. I don't hate it but I don't like it either. Never have. It's a neutral thing toward HP since I've read all the books and have watched all the movies. I'll do it again if I get a chance but I'm still going with Gandalf.

I honestly think the reason I like Gandalf more than Dumbledore is that they took Richard Harris' awesome beard and put a beard-tail on Sir Michael Gambon. At least Gandalf's awesome facial hair is consistent. I hate the beard-tail. Sir Ian McKellan, I love your beard.

Gandalf all the way, especially since Dumbledore was based on him in part.

Don't get me wrong, the Harry Potter books are great, but nothing even comes close to Tolkien's degree of world-building. smile.gif

Gandalf. He rides Shadowfax, for crying out loud. Any wizard that rides the Lord of All Horses gets my vote.

I voted Dumbledore, because he was the first of the two I fell in love with, and thus wrong though it might be, I was always comparing Gandalf to him instead of the other way around.

That being said--that's when it comes to EARLY BOOKS Dumbledore. I much prefer Gandalf over the not-so-clean-past wimp Dumbledore turned into in the last few books. ;_____;

Whereas, you know, Gandalf remains awesome through the whole thing and keeps blowin' up orcs right until he sails out to new horizons <3

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

i voted gandalf, cause i am reading the hobbit and i plan to read the lord of the rings, plus i went lotr(lord of the rings) wiki and found out aside from the other wizards(including saruman and radagash) he is one of the oldest things in middle earth, well the balrogs are the oldest, and since he became the white wizard after killing the last balrog to protect frodo baggins, he has became the strongest wizard, other than salron who is not a wizard that was created like gandalf, and now i am getting confused by what i am saying.

thanks for your time and have a good night/day.

I totally went against my first instinct and voted Gandalf. Because, in the grand scheme of thing, Gandalf is 100% epic and Dumbledore is maybe 90% epic.

I voted Dumbledore, because he was the first of the two I fell in love with, and thus wrong though it might be, I was always comparing Gandalf to him instead of the other way around.

That being said--that's when it comes to EARLY BOOKS Dumbledore. I much prefer Gandalf over the not-so-clean-past wimp Dumbledore turned into in the last few books. ;_____;

Whereas, you know, Gandalf remains awesome through the whole thing and keeps blowin' up orcs right until he sails out to new horizons <3

It is for this reason that I actually voted for Dumbledore. Gandalf was really awesome and all, but I like the fact that Dumbledore was made more...human. He had a dark side and yet he was one of the greatest wizards (on the good side) of all time. Gandalf just seemed like he was perfect to me.

GANDALF

not only because I love LOTR, he has a lot of power, and he is generally awesome smile.gif

*Belgarath biggrin.gif

Well given the choice between Dumbledore and Gandalf ONLY... I have to say Gandalf, because

a - he can be awesomely arrogant in such a nice quiet way "I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to" to frikkin Aragorn, because you know a 90 year old ranger with elven blood destined to be king is just a silly little thing (as is the elven prince)

b - DESPITE being an incredibly old Istari he is "human" and flawed and afraid. He doesn't WANT to go to Middle Earth to stop Sauron because he's afraid, yet goes when ordered. He doesn't see Saruman's betrayal until it's too late because honestly he doesn't want the kind of responsibilty of being "the White" (at least it always read thus to me). He knows the Balrog will be able to kill him (imagine how that'll feel to an immortal being) and STILL faces it to protect the rest of the party.

c - It never FEELS as if he could handwave all the problems away. He is incredibly powerful, but his powers obviously work less direct than throwing fireballs or something. I don't think that he "lets" the others help but that he genuinely does what he can under the circumstances only that "magic" doesn't work that easy-solve-everything way it does in D&D. Since we see Dumbledore through Harry's eyes he actually seems a lot more powerful, he practically is omniscient (in the school) as powerful as a wizard gets, etc.

d - Dumbledore manipulates children (and adults) to play out his masterplan, he doesn't do his job as a headmaster very well by letting someone like Snape (who I adore but is a terrible teacher) act as he does in the classroom and as I can't say this clearly enough he MANIPULATES CHILDREN to DIE for him (the world... whatever)

As a RL teacher I simply can't overlook the WRONGNESS of that approach sorry but in RL Dumbledore wouldn't be a hero but someone who belonged in a prison for child neglect.

Herk, you said that way better than I could have myself. Gandalf forever. <3

I've only read 1/3 of The Hobbit, that took me a month, and finished the whole Harry Potter series in a week, because I loved it so much.

Dumbledore.

While I would love to say Dumbledore, because I like Harry Potter even more than I like LOTR (which is like saying I like ice cream more than I like cookies...both are great), Gandalf really would win. They really aren't on equal footing, even if you compare the worlds they have to fight evil in. LOTR is on a grander fantastical scale than Harry Potter is, while lacks the extreme evil that LOTR has. Yes, Voldie is very evil, but it's just not the same scale. That is not to say that Harry Potter is not equally as good, or even better (depending on your stance). Harry Potter is much more relatable, which makes it a great story. However, if you want true high fantasy, LOTR is where it is at.

Gandalf totally deserves my vote. LOTR is awesome, (better than Harry Potter in my opinion), and he could win a fight against Dumbledore any day.

Plus, he has great fireworks.

Gandalf. Hands down. LOTRs is so much better than HP. In fantasy content and danger content...

What exactly did the originator mean by better?

If it who is more magically gifted in thheir world, Gandalf. If, on the other hand, it is who appeals to me more, than Dumbledore.

As I am older and JK hadn't been born when I read the Tolkien books, I have known Middle Earth far longer than Harry Potter's world. I liked Frodo, Sam, and the lore of the hobbits, but never cared for any of the wizards in the series. Tolkien conceived an extremely powerful wizard, but he is not to my liking. It's a matter of personal taste.

I love the Harry Potter books as a whole and have reread them especially the first 3 numerous times..

Humanity wins for me and the more endearing character is the weaker Dumbledore.