kittygrl

Gandalf or Dumbledore

Gandolf or Dumbledore?  

254 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

who is better Gandalf from lord of the rings?

or dumbledore from harry potter?

state your reasons here xd.png

your reason for choosing can be absolutely anything

Edited by kittygrl

#1, it's GandAlf tongue.gif

#2, Gandalf gets my vote. He has so many powers that don't come out in the books, or especially the movie. Wizards in Lord of the Rings are few and far between and horrendously powerful, while wizards in Harry Potter are fairly typical. Gandalf, all the way <3

~Inappropriate video removed~ Proof Gandalf is better than Dumbledore

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!

((Has some language))

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

That depends. Are we talking in overall coolness factor, or taking into account the fact that Dumbledore is just a human wizard while Gandalf is an Istari. So of course Gandalf's probably far more powerful, but Dumbledore's pretty far up there for a human.

That depends. Are we talking in overall coolness factor, or taking into account the fact that Dumbledore is just a human wizard while Gandalf is an Istari. So of course Gandalf's probably far more powerful, but Dumbledore's pretty far up there for a human.

Gandalf smokes. He's chill. But he can kick butt. I think he wins in power AND coolness wink.gif

totally Dumblydorrr!! and he appears in a movie after he frickin Died!

Edited by poisonedlove

totally Dumblydorrr!! and he appears in a movie after he frickin Died!

Gandalf defeated a Balrog and came back from the dead. Pwnt.

As people have said before, Gandalf is a freakin' Istari.

He also has better fireworks. And he's never early, nor is he late; he arrives precisely when he means to.

And Gandalf has WAY more names than Dumble. Olórin, Mithrandir, Tharkun, Greyhame, Gandalf the Grey, Gandalf the White, The Grey Pilgrim, Stormcrow, The White Rider, Lathspell...

As people have said before, Gandalf is a freakin' Istari.

He also has better fireworks. And he's never early, nor is he late; he arrives precisely when he means to.

And Gandalf has WAY more names than Dumble. Olórin, Mithrandir, Tharkun, Greyhame, Gandalf the Grey, Gandalf the White, The Grey Pilgrim, Stormcrow, The White Rider, Lathspell...

and Incánus ^.^ (totally googled it)

Gandalf, Dumbledore is cool and all, but Gandalf could beat him man to man and he's just cooler! I'm pretty sure Dumbledore couldn't go head to head with a Balrog!

To be entirely fair, though, a good deal of those names are just different "translations" of the same name into the various languages of Middle-earth... wink.gif

To be entirely fair, though, a good deal of those names are just different "translations" of the same name into the various languages of Middle-earth... wink.gif

Eh, not really. 'Mithrandir' may translate as 'Grey Pilgrim', but Olorin, Lathspell, Gandalf, Incanus, and Tharkun all mean different things in different languages.

I'm going to say Gandalf.

Setting my reasons why in white text because my reasons have to do with book 7 and I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone who hasn't finished deathly hallows yet...

At the end of the seventh book, Rowling basically said the reason for Dumbledore's power was the Elder Wand in his possession. Gandalf does not possess any particularly special artifacts to make him more powerful... even his sword, while rare, is a generic ancient Elven blade with the stereotypical anti orc and evil creature detection powers of any of the blades forged around the time of the Silmarillion. And it's not even like Gandolf is in possession of The Only Ancient Sword On The Book... other characters also possess similar weapons. While he does possess one of the three rings for the Elven kings, that doesn't make a difference in terms of giving him power because throughout the books none of the three Elven ring wielders use their rings' power. Doing so would attract Sauron's attention, and that would be bad. And without any special "ultimate power" weapons, he was able to defeat a Balrog and come back from the dead.

Edited by Layn

That depends.  Are we talking in overall coolness factor, or taking into account the fact that Dumbledore is just a human wizard while Gandalf is an Istari.  So of course Gandalf's probably far more powerful, but Dumbledore's pretty far up there for a human.

Probably going with this. IIRC, Istari belonged to the Maias, the lesser order of Iluvatar's (the god who created Arda, the world in which Middle Earth resides) servants - or, rather, executives -, below the Valar, however, they're old as heck and noone really knows exactly when the Istari arrived to Middle Earth, so age + innate mysticism wins.

Edited by lightbird

I'm going to say Gandalf.

Setting my reasons why in white text because my reasons have to do with book 7 and I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone who hasn't finished deathly hallows yet...

At the end of the seventh book, Rowling basically said the reason for Dumbledore's power was the Elder Wand in his possession. Gandalf does not possess any particularly special artifacts to make him more powerful... even his sword, while rare, is a generic ancient Elven blade with the stereotypical anti orc and evil creature detection powers of any of the blades forged around the time of the Silmarillion. And it's not even like Gandolf is in possession of The Only Ancient Sword On The Book... other characters also possess similar weapons. While he does possess one of the three rings for the Elven kings, that doesn't make a difference in terms of giving him power because throughout the books none of the three Elven ring wielders use their rings' power. Doing so would attract Sauron's attention, and that would be bad. And without any special "ultimate power" weapons, he was able to defeat a Balrog and come back from the dead.

Except Dumbledore beat the guy who owned that wand before him. He fought against a powerful wizard armed with a power weapon and won. That has to count for something.

I'm going to say Dumbledore, for the simple reason that it annoyed me how little magic Gandalf did. If Dumbledore had been as Minas Tirith instead of Dumbledore, I'm pretty sure he would have had a much bigger role in fighting the Orcs. Okay, Gandalf fought with his sword and staff alongside the soliders, but Dumbledore probably would at least taken out the towers and catapults.