LoL, I just watched a youtuber that sayed "stick with Mormons in an apocalypse, cause they have a lot of food" and to be honest, it is true, all my Mormon family, and my Mormon home teacher (still not converting and he is coolies with it) all stock up on food and also have a lot for dinner.

I was wondering to all you religious people, has god answered you in way or another? even if it might seem weird or stupid or something else, I am just curious.

I was wondering to all you religious people, has god answered you in way or another?

I am wiccan and i do have receved answeers from Gods ussually when i ask for soething it usually comes in as opportunity to take for something i have lonnged or needed

fair enough aki.

and if it possible to become a god then it would (to me) be like this:

picking up the mantle of the god if he/she is dead, insane, etc. like in a fictional game called "The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim" there is a lot of debate in the game about talos, who after he dead he ascended and became one of the divines, and theories have been going around on the internet such as: in the lore, there was a aedra (the good god people things) named lorkan who tricked the other beings into making a planet, and they did, and when they found out, they killed him, and after thousands of years, talos took up the mantle of lorkan and became the patron of humanity.

that is how I see one becoming a god, but since we have no proof of a god existing and a god not existing, and we do not know how many there may be.........

short version: a god dies, human who does really good and helps humanity takes up the mantle of the dead god.

Yes, we do believe that God has a physical body as well as Jesus. I see where you're coming from about God having a father as well - I'm kind of confused about this myself, now that I think about it! I'll ask one of my church leaders what the official church stance on this is.

Yes...we believe this as well. The levels of glory thing is mostly dependent on how much we are willing to repent of. We believe that God can and will restore us completely, but only as completely as we ourselves allow. We can't be forgiven if we don't repent, and we can't be completely forgiven if we don't completely repent.

Well, that's what we believe. Whether or not you agree with it and believe it as well is up to you.

No. A woman can get to heaven without "submitting" to a man. That has nothing to do with it. Since a woman cannot have the priesthood, that's not a factor in salvation.

Well...yes. If that's what you mean by dismissing the authority of other churches, that we don't recognize their ordinances, then yes, I suppose we do.

Yes, we are trying to baptize everyone. I think we realize we won't be able to on our own and probably not before the Second Coming of Christ, but we believe everyone who accepts our gospel will eventually be baptized.

Yes, that's right. If that is too secretive for you to believe their credulity, then that's your judgement and you don't believe it.

Yeah, I wouldn't count that as a completely credible source of the Mormon faith. It's in opposition to the church, so should be taken with a grain of salt, and while they do cite their sources, they interpreted the doctrine we teach differently in some cases. If you want a site that is officially approved by our church, you should try mormon.org, which is nonmember friendly.

The source I saw for this on that website was not from official doctrine, but from the writings of Joseph Smith. That was his interpretation as a mortal man, his opinion, rather than scripture. The teachings of the prophets were sometimes later proved to be incorrect, because it's not all from God, and it's mixed with their opinion. But I think this falls under the point of God having a father of His own, so I'm not quite sure. I'll tell you after I get an answer.

Yes, we do believe God has a body of flesh and bones.

I'm not sure if this is scripture-canon, but it is a common belief amongst members.

If God has a wife, then they are certainly married.

"Becoming" gods is kind of a stretch. We believe that if we are faithful and do everything we're supposed to, making it to the highest degree of glory, we will be able to receive all of the blessings God has to give us. This is probably where that idea comes from.

In the end, what you believe and what Mormons believe is not going to be completely the same. But my understanding of the word "Christian" is not "one who belongs to the one and only perfect church of Christ" but "one who believes and follows Christ", which can be a Catholic, a Mormon, Baptist, etc, or even a nondenominational Christian, like someone who believes and follows Christ but doesn't go to any particular church. So calling us not Christians isn't very accurate.

Thank you for the discussion and clarification of the Mormon beliefs. I think I better understand the Jewish perspective that Christians do not worship the same God as they do, because I am not at this point able to reconcile the differences in the Mormon beliefs with what I see as fundamental to my Christian faith.

I will always believe there is only one God, who has always existed, and who can take physical form but is not inherently of created matter. God did not come from any place, another planet or here; God does not have wife, as that would suggest the possibility of a second god, which goes against my understanding of what God is.

I am not about to define how heaven is organized. Outside of Mormonism, I have not heard anything of levels, and that concept goes against my belief that God loves all of us equally and redeems us completely.

Along with the levels of heaven, excluding women from the highest level unless they submit to a man who can get there goes against my belief of the equality of all people.

No, I do not believe the secretive nature by which Joseph Smith translated those plates. No one else ever read the plates directly, and history shows that translations done by a single person tend to be much more full of errors than those done with others checking/contributing to it. The fact that it contains contradictions with what I believe from what Jesus taught makes me distrust it all the more.

Net, I respect that you live according to your beliefs, I just do not share them. Thank you again for the discussion

I was wondering to all you religious people, has god answered you in way or another? even if it might seem weird or stupid or something else, I am just curious.

Yup! Most often the answers came when I was a devotee to Loki--the things I asked for and needed always happened before there were real consequences for not having gotten them, the ones I wanted but didn't need did not. Usually the things I needed and hasn't gotten were because of a like of money or resources, but after communing over it, opportunities would show up to give me what I needed. For example, I needed $400 I just didn't have a couple months ago (my car needed work unexpectedly) and I had no idea how I was going to make that much. I can't just pick up extra hours at my job because it's a set schedule, same every day, and nothing I was listing on Craigslist was selling. I asked Loki about it, and the next day I sold two old game consoles and a computer, giving me $300 out of the $400 I needed, then I finally got a letter saying that I was approved for $125 per month in food stamps, leaving my grocery money suddenly free.

Yup! Most often the answers came when I was a devotee to Loki--the things I asked for and needed always happened before there were real consequences for not having gotten them, the ones I wanted but didn't need did not. Usually the things I needed and hasn't gotten were because of a like of money or resources, but after communing over it, opportunities would show up to give me what I needed. For example, I needed $400 I just didn't have a couple months ago (my car needed work unexpectedly) and I had no idea how I was going to make that much. I can't just pick up extra hours at my job because it's a set schedule, same every day, and nothing I was listing on Craigslist was selling. I asked Loki about it, and the next day I sold two old game consoles and a computer, giving me $300 out of the $400 I needed, then I finally got a letter saying that I was approved for $125 per month in food stamps, leaving my grocery money suddenly free.

Talking about well done Loki plan biggrin.gif i had a debt for phone once 200$ and i just suddenly found freelancer job for illustrations and did 220$ instead

Net, I respect that you live according to your beliefs, I just do not share them. Thank you again for the discussion

Respect is as much as anyone can ask. You're welcome. smile.gif

i may/may not be an Agnostic Theist, and the only part of the 'Bible' that i'll -and dare i say it, 'believe in' is Revalation 21:6; 'I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life, freely'.

other than that, my religion is my family, simple as that.

it's like Woody Allen once said: `If God exists, i hope he has a good excuse'.

A friend of mine used a phrase that really sums up my ideas about religion very nicely: "Do whatever floats your boat. Just don't sink mine." I'm Christian. I attend a Presbyterian church almost every Sunday. If that's not what works for someone else, fine. I'm more than happy to respect whatever you may believe or not believe, but I think it has to work both ways. I don't push my beliefs on people. I don't even really talk about it that much, except for in the instance when someone asks what my plans are and I tell them I'm doing something with my church. So it really irks me when other people try to tell me I'm wrong or make me feel silly for what I believe.

I have a professor who's an atheist. Generally speaking, I don't care. You can believe or not believe in whatever you like and as long as you're not a jerk to me, we'll still get along fine. But today she just made me so angry. Right now, I'm really turned off to her, the class, and even the play we were reading that set her off on her tangent. Right now, we're studying Moliere's Don Juan. Of course Don Juan is a character who doesn't tend to respect Christian values. Again, fine. That in itself doesn't bother me. But the professor chose to linger on that fact. First, it was pretty harmless, just an aside that as an atheist she felt he was right to not put much stock in Christian teachings. Then, though, she launched into this whole tirade, which consisted of, "I mean, think about it! Christianity teaches x, y, and z, and I mean, when you think about it, what a ridiculous fable!" And then she started snickering about it and, after an obligatory "And I'm sorry if there are any Christians in the room, I don't mean to hurt your feelings", repeated the "how ridiculous" sentiment.

Sorry?

I'm here to learn about French literature, not what you think about my beliefs. If you think it's ridiculous, fine. Whatever. You do that. But please be respectful enough not to go off about it, especially not when it's the kind of situation where you're a professor in front of a class, so I can't either put in my two cents or walk away if I'm bothered. A general rule of thumb: If you have to either preface or follow up a statement with "no offense", "I don't mean to upset you", or whatever, you probably just shouldn't say it. Nine out of ten times, you're little conciliatory remark doesn't make what you're saying any less aggravating. No matter how you frame it, referring to my faith as a "ridiculous fable" and having yourself a good laugh about it is going to be offensive.

And I found it especially grating because it happened during Holy Week. It's kind of a special time. It's leading up to our biggest holiday and Good Friday service is my favorite church service all year because I find it very meaningful and poignant. I particularly don't want to hear about how ridiculous my faith is now, when I'm trying to get into a frame of mind to anticipate and appreciate what's to come.

I just find the whole thing really frustrating. I really liked this professor up until this point in the semester. I wish she would speak a little less English in class, but I've generally found her to be really nice and knowledgeable and I've been enjoying the class and the material. I'm probably inordinately irritated by it, but the fact remains that at the present time, my opinion of the class and her as a professor has really soured. Maybe it'll fade in time, but in any case I feel like she was incredibly unprofessional.

/End rant

Anyway, yeah. Basically, I'm all for everyone getting along and believing whatever makes them happy or makes sense to them. I chose my church because I felt called to be there. I was going through a really tough time and even though I'd stopped attending church except for on Christmas and Easter when I was a kid, I suddenly felt compelled to get back into the habit. It started with the intention of going to a Catholic church because that's what I was raised in, but a series of circumstances led me to the Presbyterian church I'm currently at, and that's where I found what I needed. I understand that different people find different paths others may find what they need in other faiths. I just think everyone needs to respect each other enough to live and let live. Don't try to force your own beliefs on someone who doesn't want them and certainly don't ridicule people for whatever beliefs they may have.

Sorry for the long-ish rant. It was kind of gnawing at me all day, and since I don't really have anyone IRL to talk to about it, I figured this was as good a place as any to get it off my chest.

Depends if you believe in an immanent God or a transcendent God.

If anything, surviving my car crash would be the closest I have to believing someone/thing wants me to stay around for now.

Yes, though typically not in the way I requested/expected, but different/better.

I have questions for those who consider themselves spiritual but not religious - that is, believe in God/higher being but do not go to church/synagogue/mosque/whatever.

Please note that I am basing these questions on my beliefs that 1) God is real and 2) we are communal creatures. Differing beliefs will change how/if these questions can be answered, so explaining yours may be helpful.

A) How do you reconcile your spirituality with our communal nature?

B) How do you nurture your spirituality?

C) How/do you nurture communal spirituality? What does that look like?

Edited by Awdz Bodkins

Definitely not stupid! ^^

I've had answers from both the gods I follow, though in a less direct way. The times I've needed courage, I'd ask for Thor to be my protector and felt much safer. As for Eywa, I don't often ask her for things, as her domain is more the whole over the individual. But I've definitely felt her there in a "mother's arms" sort of sense.

Something I thought was a bit interesting happened to me the other day when I was having a discussion about my Atheism with a Christian friend. I don't remember what it was that spurred her response, but at one point she said, "How can you be so sure that there isn't anything after?" And I honestly almost burst out laughing and told her, "You sound just like most Atheists talking to religious people."

Anyway, now I'm randomly curious- does anyone here practice Wicca? If so, I'd be greatly interested to have a chat sometime about it, as accurate information can be hard to come by (especially on the internet).

Also, it sounds like a few people here practice Norse religion. Do you pray to/worship/honor (not sure for the right phrase, apologies if any of those are offending) all of the gods and goddesses, or only certain ones? If it's only certain ones, how do you pick?

Also, it sounds like a few people here practice Norse religion. Do you pray to/worship/honor (not sure for the right phrase, apologies if any of those are offending) all of the gods and goddesses, or only certain ones? If it's only certain ones, how do you pick?

I didn't pick Thor so much as he picked me. Used to worship all of the Norse gods, but I never really heard much from the rest of them. Now I'm not so much a Heathen as a "general Pagan who follows whatever gods find me."

I didn't pick Thor so much as he picked me. Used to worship all of the Norse gods, but I never really heard much from the rest of them. Now I'm not so much a Heathen as a "general Pagan who follows whatever gods find me."

If you don't mind me asking, how do you mean Thor picked you? Did he answer your prayers more often, did he speak to you? Why do you think he picked you?

If any of my questions are too intrusive, feel free not to answer.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you mean Thor picked you? Did he answer your prayers more often, did he speak to you? Why do you think he picked you?

If any of my questions are too intrusive, feel free not to answer.

It's kind of an odd story actually. I was in a nasty fight with my parents and was feeling really trapped and like I didn't want to be around anymore. Then I was outside later, and it started thundering. And I felt comforted. I knew it was him and it was like he was saying "I'm here, you don't have to be afraid of them anymore."

I really hope that all made sense. It was an experience that held a lot of meaning to me, while to others it might not seem like much happened.

It is ok to believe in any god people want to believe.

I find it really rude when people call me a sinner and unsaved trash. I am not a sinner. I am not unsaved trash. Please do not force your sin down my throat. (Not directed at anyone, but I just wanted to say how I feel, if its ok).

I'm personally an Atheist. While I may not believe in a higher power, I think that everyone has the right to their own religion and their own beliefs.

I do not like the "You're going to censorkip.gif for not believing in God." I hate it when people of different religions (more so Christians) try to shove their religion down my throat. No, I'm not a satanist. I'm not a minion of the Devil. I'm not a sinner. Discussing religion is fine, but argumentative "I'm right, you're wrong" conversations I dislike a lot.

Recently I've been annoyed by a certain Facebook post that says "It's One Nation Under God or get out." I don't like the mentality that the US is a Christian-only nation. There's many religions that thrive here. I find it a bit hurtful to post those type of things.

Speaking of Facebook, I have never understood why it's okay for people to post religious pictures or writing that thanks God, but as soon as I post something on Atheism, I'm suddenly the bad guy? I don't post things that say "Christians are stupid" or anything like that though.

I have never understood why it's okay for people to post religious pictures or writing that thanks God, but as soon as I post something on Atheism, I'm suddenly the bad guy?
I don't really understand it either. Then again, I also don't really understand what there is to post on atheism, as it is neither a religion nor a belief system... The only thing that all atheists have in common is the lack of the belief that there is a god or gods. (Unless it is exactly what you're telling people: "No, atheism has nothing to do with devils or sacrificing blood on crossroads at midnight on Friday the 13th.")

- Said as an irreligious nonspiritual atheist. (I will say that I am atheist when asked. Otherwise I'm just following a personal moral code.)

I don't really understand it either. Then again, I also don't really understand what there is to post on atheism, as it is neither a religion nor a belief system... The only thing that all atheists have in common is the lack of the belief that there is a god or gods. (Unless it is exactly what you're telling people: "No, atheism has nothing to do with devils or sacrificing blood on crossroads at midnight on Friday the 13th.")

- Said as an irreligious nonspiritual atheist. (I will say that I am atheist when asked. Otherwise I'm just following a personal moral code.)

An atheist may have faith in the existence of the universe without having any religious beliefs about it. The world is, that much everyone knows. Why? Hence the debate.

An atheist may have faith in the existence of the universe without having any religious beliefs about it.
True. However, this is also something unrelated to atheism as such... You can also be an atheist and be religious, for instance.

Atheism is a belief system, actually. it's the staunch belief that there is no higher power, and many will go to great lengths to defend that belief, and some even try to give evidence to strengthen their arguments when going toe-to-toe with deists.

Agnostics, on the other hand, don't know, don't care, and there's really not much else to it.

Edited by Omega Entity

Atheism is a belief system, actually. it's the staunch belief that there is no higher power, and many will go to great lengths to defend that belief, and some even try to give evidence to strengthen their arguments when going toe-to-toe with deists.

Agnostics, on the other hand, don't know, don't care, and there's really not much else to it.

One very wide and nebulous aspect does not make up a belief system. (And whether the standing to one single question is yes, maybe, or no makes no functional difference.) Anyone who, when presented with the question "Do you believe there is/are god(s)?", responds with "I don't think there are." is automatically an atheist, regardless of all other beliefs.

You should also make a distinction between atheism (lack of belief in ...) and antitheism (against ...). What you described more fits the latter...