Obscure_Trash

Religion

I was wondering to all you religious people, has god answered you in way or another? even if it might seem weird or stupid or something else, I am just curious.

Depends if you believe in an immanent God or a transcendent God.

If anything, surviving my car crash would be the closest I have to believing someone/thing wants me to stay around for now.

I was wondering to all you religious people, has god answered you in way or another? even if it might seem weird or stupid or something else, I am just curious.

Yes, though typically not in the way I requested/expected, but different/better.

I have questions for those who consider themselves spiritual but not religious - that is, believe in God/higher being but do not go to church/synagogue/mosque/whatever.

Please note that I am basing these questions on my beliefs that 1) God is real and 2) we are communal creatures. Differing beliefs will change how/if these questions can be answered, so explaining yours may be helpful.

A) How do you reconcile your spirituality with our communal nature?

B) How do you nurture your spirituality?

C) How/do you nurture communal spirituality? What does that look like?

Edited by Awdz Bodkins

Definitely not stupid! ^^

I've had answers from both the gods I follow, though in a less direct way. The times I've needed courage, I'd ask for Thor to be my protector and felt much safer. As for Eywa, I don't often ask her for things, as her domain is more the whole over the individual. But I've definitely felt her there in a "mother's arms" sort of sense.

Something I thought was a bit interesting happened to me the other day when I was having a discussion about my Atheism with a Christian friend. I don't remember what it was that spurred her response, but at one point she said, "How can you be so sure that there isn't anything after?" And I honestly almost burst out laughing and told her, "You sound just like most Atheists talking to religious people."

Anyway, now I'm randomly curious- does anyone here practice Wicca? If so, I'd be greatly interested to have a chat sometime about it, as accurate information can be hard to come by (especially on the internet).

Also, it sounds like a few people here practice Norse religion. Do you pray to/worship/honor (not sure for the right phrase, apologies if any of those are offending) all of the gods and goddesses, or only certain ones? If it's only certain ones, how do you pick?

Also, it sounds like a few people here practice Norse religion. Do you pray to/worship/honor (not sure for the right phrase, apologies if any of those are offending) all of the gods and goddesses, or only certain ones? If it's only certain ones, how do you pick?

I didn't pick Thor so much as he picked me. Used to worship all of the Norse gods, but I never really heard much from the rest of them. Now I'm not so much a Heathen as a "general Pagan who follows whatever gods find me."

I didn't pick Thor so much as he picked me. Used to worship all of the Norse gods, but I never really heard much from the rest of them. Now I'm not so much a Heathen as a "general Pagan who follows whatever gods find me."

If you don't mind me asking, how do you mean Thor picked you? Did he answer your prayers more often, did he speak to you? Why do you think he picked you?

If any of my questions are too intrusive, feel free not to answer.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you mean Thor picked you? Did he answer your prayers more often, did he speak to you? Why do you think he picked you?

If any of my questions are too intrusive, feel free not to answer.

It's kind of an odd story actually. I was in a nasty fight with my parents and was feeling really trapped and like I didn't want to be around anymore. Then I was outside later, and it started thundering. And I felt comforted. I knew it was him and it was like he was saying "I'm here, you don't have to be afraid of them anymore."

I really hope that all made sense. It was an experience that held a lot of meaning to me, while to others it might not seem like much happened.

It is ok to believe in any god people want to believe.

I find it really rude when people call me a sinner and unsaved trash. I am not a sinner. I am not unsaved trash. Please do not force your sin down my throat. (Not directed at anyone, but I just wanted to say how I feel, if its ok).

I'm personally an Atheist. While I may not believe in a higher power, I think that everyone has the right to their own religion and their own beliefs.

I do not like the "You're going to censorkip.gif for not believing in God." I hate it when people of different religions (more so Christians) try to shove their religion down my throat. No, I'm not a satanist. I'm not a minion of the Devil. I'm not a sinner. Discussing religion is fine, but argumentative "I'm right, you're wrong" conversations I dislike a lot.

Recently I've been annoyed by a certain Facebook post that says "It's One Nation Under God or get out." I don't like the mentality that the US is a Christian-only nation. There's many religions that thrive here. I find it a bit hurtful to post those type of things.

Speaking of Facebook, I have never understood why it's okay for people to post religious pictures or writing that thanks God, but as soon as I post something on Atheism, I'm suddenly the bad guy? I don't post things that say "Christians are stupid" or anything like that though.

I have never understood why it's okay for people to post religious pictures or writing that thanks God, but as soon as I post something on Atheism, I'm suddenly the bad guy?
I don't really understand it either. Then again, I also don't really understand what there is to post on atheism, as it is neither a religion nor a belief system... The only thing that all atheists have in common is the lack of the belief that there is a god or gods. (Unless it is exactly what you're telling people: "No, atheism has nothing to do with devils or sacrificing blood on crossroads at midnight on Friday the 13th.")

- Said as an irreligious nonspiritual atheist. (I will say that I am atheist when asked. Otherwise I'm just following a personal moral code.)

I don't really understand it either. Then again, I also don't really understand what there is to post on atheism, as it is neither a religion nor a belief system... The only thing that all atheists have in common is the lack of the belief that there is a god or gods. (Unless it is exactly what you're telling people: "No, atheism has nothing to do with devils or sacrificing blood on crossroads at midnight on Friday the 13th.")

- Said as an irreligious nonspiritual atheist. (I will say that I am atheist when asked. Otherwise I'm just following a personal moral code.)

An atheist may have faith in the existence of the universe without having any religious beliefs about it. The world is, that much everyone knows. Why? Hence the debate.

An atheist may have faith in the existence of the universe without having any religious beliefs about it.
True. However, this is also something unrelated to atheism as such... You can also be an atheist and be religious, for instance.

Atheism is a belief system, actually. it's the staunch belief that there is no higher power, and many will go to great lengths to defend that belief, and some even try to give evidence to strengthen their arguments when going toe-to-toe with deists.

Agnostics, on the other hand, don't know, don't care, and there's really not much else to it.

Edited by Omega Entity

Atheism is a belief system, actually. it's the staunch belief that there is no higher power, and many will go to great lengths to defend that belief, and some even try to give evidence to strengthen their arguments when going toe-to-toe with deists.

Agnostics, on the other hand, don't know, don't care, and there's really not much else to it.

One very wide and nebulous aspect does not make up a belief system. (And whether the standing to one single question is yes, maybe, or no makes no functional difference.) Anyone who, when presented with the question "Do you believe there is/are god(s)?", responds with "I don't think there are." is automatically an atheist, regardless of all other beliefs.

You should also make a distinction between atheism (lack of belief in ...) and antitheism (against ...). What you described more fits the latter...

I have some questions, I hope they don't offend anyone but I would like to hear an answer;

1. Why am I a sinner when I don't believe in it?

2. How am I satanic when I don't believe in neither of the 2 christian deities?

These are not targeted at any specific person.

Also I have 1 thing I want to say;

"I can't do that because of my religion" is fine, but "you can't do that because of my religion" isn't fine.

I'm personally an Atheist.

No, I'm not a satanist. I'm not a minion of the Devil.

What devil?

I do find the way you phrased that a tad ironic. You say you don't believe in God, but the way you worded that post, it's like you're implying the devil is real, but you just aren't one of his minions. lol

I'm not sure if that's how you meant it, but I thought that was kind of funny. Obviously, if God isn't real the devil can't be either. smile.gif

1. Why am I a sinner when I don't believe in it?

You may be a sinner in the eyes of believers for whatever reason, and nothing can change the fact that other people have opinions and express them, but if you don't believe in a higher power yourself then who cares what anyone else thinks? It shouldn't matter to you a whit if, in your mind, such a thing as 'sin' doesn't exist.

2. How am I satanic when I don't believe in neither of the 2 christian deities?

Again, maybe others may think that about you, and again, if in your mind neither deity exists, who cares what others think? You should feel 100% confident and secure in your own mind about who and what you are. As long as you're at peace in your own heart and mind, that's what matters, not the labels of others. If someone says you've sinned, or are 'satanic' for whatever reason, simply blow it off as the bs you believe it to be and don't give it another thought. Why sweat something that, in your mind, doesn't exist?

Edited by MedievalMystic

^It's possible to believe in the devil without believing in God, (at least in my opinion it is.)

((Personally, I find it much easier to believe in a system such as the one Terry Pratchett described in his book - every god someone believes in exists somewhere. Considering all the different beliefs out there, it makes more sense if all of them are real.))

((((Completely off-topic, but I just noticed that if you take the 'd' off 'devil', you get 'evil'. ohmy.gifxd.png ))))

Hi everyone

I decided to add I am a me. It means I am unknowing, but I believe and respect people's belief. As well as follow a mix of beliefs which is what makes me feel comfortable and know what feels right to me

In that regard, I have been to Christian colleges, churches and studied many religions/beliefs. ( Wiccian ( white, black, green and blue sects), Shamanism, Taoism, even a few of the more taboo, Satanism to name one)

In all to me have basis to exist, it's like telling people there's no such things as ghosts, or explaining evolution without the missing link.

People will believe what they feel is correct. It's what makes us well us. I'm not here to debate ( though not bad with it) I'm not telling whos right and wrong.

Edited by KuroYukia

I think this is the nearest thing to a civilised discussion on religion I've seen anywhere on the internet :3

I'm somewhere between atheism and agnosticism in a way I find very hard to describe >_< It doesn't quite feel true to say 'I don't believe in anything remotely resembling a god' but trying to explain what I do believe always comes across implying I really believe something which I don't - I just don't think that hard about it. I guess maybe I could call it 'atheist with fuzzy edges around the concept of 'luck' and extra respect for the possibility I could be wrong' tongue.gif

I wish I'd had better religious education in school with regard to non-Christian faiths, but for all our school was supposedly non-religious the headmaster was one of those people who thought Christianity was for everyone. In any case I'm quite thoroughly turned off the idea of following an organised religion, regardless of what my beliefs might or mightn't be.

You may be a sinner in the eyes of believers for whatever reason, and nothing can change the fact that other people have opinions and express them, but if you don't believe in a higher power yourself then who cares what anyone else thinks? It shouldn't matter to you a whit if, in your mind, such a thing as 'sin' doesn't exist.

I mean, I don't call them farquaad, why should they call me a "sinner"?

This [on a larger scale] isn't really a problem with religion, it's a problem with people forcing their judgements out into the open and onto people who haven't asked for them.

People are welcome to think of me as a sinner for disbelieving. If we're actually having a conversation in that general direction they might even get away with telling me once. But once I know what they think and have told I'm not going to change the topic needs to be left behind or it becomes pure name-calling. The same applies to people who think my hair is stupid or that I wash up my dishes in the wrong order.

And they're welcome to stop hanging around with me if they don't want to hang around with a sinner/someone with stupid hair/someone who washes up wrong. Some people weren't meant to get on - that's not a problem it's a consensus.

Edited by ObsessedWithCats

The bottom line is that people are going to call you whatever they want to, when they want to, whether you like it or not and there's no stopping that. That doesn't mean you have to own it.

People can slap whatever labels they choose to on others. Does that make it truth? No, that makes it opinion.

As to the opinions of other people about me personally, well, they can call me names till the cows come home and I still sleep well at night. lol People can slap all the labels on me, or anyone else, that they please. I don't sweat it. Neither should you.

Edited by MedievalMystic