Now for a couple questions for y'all on things that I am a bit confused on. 

Why do you think we made him uncomfortable?

If god is supposedly a god of love, then why would our sharing our love of people by giving them hugs be something a follower of god be upset about?

Back when I was a church goer, I found that a lot of times when someone preaches quite often and quite vigorously about one particular subject, that can actually be reflective of issues that they're struggling with that they kind of project out to everyone else. Kind of like if you tell a bunch of lies, then you're more likely to be suspicious that everyone is lying to you, or you overcompensate by trying to prove to people how much you disapprove of a given activity...or you're a married youth pastor who went on and on to a bunch of high school kids about adultry while "witnessing" way too much with a college student. Most boring sermons ever when you're 14. dry.gif

I'll also add that, although there are a whole lot of people who are just rather judgey and have to be pompous about everything they personally hate (which is sometimes pretty much everything), I've known a few people who were molested who developed the idea that physical contact was evil as a way to deal with things and to avoid intimacy.

Not saying that's what that guy's deal was. He could just be a tool. But I thought I'd just throw out there that sometimes people negatively focus on others because they don't know how to deal with their own issues. Of course, that doesn't make it okay, but there's a chance that he's less an evil guy and more just a really messed up, hurting guy.

Also *hugs philpot123*

Now for a couple questions for y'all on things that I am a bit confused on.

Why do you think we made him uncomfortable?

If god is supposedly a god of love, then why would our sharing our love of people by giving them hugs be something a follower of god be upset about?

From what I've seen of that sort of preacher on my universities, they look for attention. By standing there and attracting attention away from him he may have felt threatened.

Could he read your signs? He may have also assumed they said something else.

From what I've seen of that sort of preacher on my universities, they look for attention. By standing there and attracting attention away from him he may have felt threatened.

Could he read your signs? He may have also assumed they said something else.

That may be, though we didn't intend to threaten him, which is why we went to the other side of the plaza.

Oh yeah he could read the signs. We made them very easy to read at a distance. smile.gif

is okay if i say i am a Jashinist???

Why wouldn't it be okay? Your beliefs, and what inspires them, are up to you.

Of course it's okay! I've never heard of that though... what is it, exactly? I'd love to learn more.

Well, yeah, if you honestly believe it. Although, I must say, that having read the link Kestra provided if you *did* honestly believe that I also think you'd need to be locked up as a danger to society.

Same as someone that was truly and honestly dedicated to, say, Khorne.

Edit: adding link to Khorne for those that don't know of him.

Edited by TikindiDragon

I'm not religious by any means. I have issues with a lot of it and over all cannot stand it. I just have a question about it.

Do you think it's right for someone to pray for another soul after they have specifically stated they do not believe in god or any religion at all?

The reason why I ask this is because someone on my Tumblr saw my reply to their post and wants to pray for my soul because I believe all homosexual/bisexuals are no different than me or anyone else around.

If it's family doing that I get it and understand it. I won't tell them to stop cuz they are family and they do care. What I'm more wondering about is random people you've never even met or actually talked to online/in real life.

I don't think it's right after they say they are not religious. It's kinda like a slap in the face saying "I don't care what you believe in I'm going to do it anyway".

I'm not religious by any means. I have issues with a lot of it and over all cannot stand it. I just have a question about it.

Do you think it's right for someone to pray for another soul after they have specifically stated they do not believe in god or any religion at all?

I think it's hideously rude and presumptuous to pray for someone if they've indicated that they would not welcome such a thing being done on their behalf.

Period. Full stop. No ifs, ands, or buts.

And all I have to reply to that is: is it really going to hurt you if they personally do it themselves? It's not like they're standing over you right before you go to bed praying for you to come to Christ or for you to be delivered from the bowels of hell and whatever those radicals pray for.

Believe me, I'm a full believer in Christ and I entirely acknowledge Him as my Lord and Savior, but I absolutely cannot stand when the medium over comes the message. Like, give me a break.

Do I personally find it wrong that someone prays for another even if they don't believe in God and is open about the subject? No. I do not. Do I find it wrong that someone wouldn't pray for someone because that is the case? Yes.

Why?

Because Christ specifically states--His most important lesson--is to love your neighbor. Don't take it literal, He really means you should be compassionate towards other human beings. You need to show them grace. Show that you care. Being a Christian goes right down to the core meaning of love. Things that lead away from this, such as the belief if you don't go to church means you'll go straight to Hell, is false. Besides, it was love for us is why Christ was nailed to the cross and died for our sins. It's love that He's coming back.

Even if it was something absurd as your personal views, it doesn't matter. You pray for their well-being and hope the best for them. I do it all the time, even if my friends constantly tell me they don't believe in God. I still pray for them because I care. Sure, of course I wish they would find Christ in their hearts, but I can only be an influence in the way where I am the one that does it. I will not force it upon them because it's just flat out wrong. A relationship with Christ doesn't involve three people, not four, but two--Christ and you.

I pray for a lot of people. Because I just care.

That's my answer, hope it isn't too long.

I get hoping the best for someone but like I just said I don't believe in god and they just turned around said something along the lines of "I'm not going to read your post and I'm going to pray for your soul to be saved because hell is a awful place".

I get it if it's a comfort to you but it's people like this person that makes me stay away from it. I don't like being told if I don't do this I'm going here and if I support this or that I'm condemned for all eternity and the hatred it's used for is just so wrong on so many levels.

I use to pray and believe in god but after a couple things and seeing some of the things religious people will do to others I am completely turned off to the idea of a god (because to me if there was one surely he'd step in and stop this by now). I told this person in the first sentence that I do not believe in it and they replied with that.

I mean friend/relative I get but a complete stranger saying they are going to after you specifically said you don't believe in any form of religion is like I said before a slap in the face. If you just generally pray for everyone I do understand that as well but specific people like in my case no.

I think it's rather rude to respond to somebody who says they don't believe with telling them they're going to pray for you.

Would it kill people like that to be quiet and just do it without saying it? Because saying anything that amounts to "You're going to hell, so I'm going to pray for you even though you don't believe in hell btw I'm not paying attention to your words because I know you said something I don't agree with and that's all I need to know you're going to burn" is just... Going to completely defeat the idea of "spreading the Good News" when it inevitably turns people away from the religion and just pisses them off.

Now for me, I don't believe it should be said they're going to pray for them. If maybe one of my friends or acquaintances is going through a hard time with their life, I simply say a few comforting words, make them feel better, and maybe tell them I'll keep them in my prayers. That's it. I don't say anything along the lines of being rude. That's just, well, rude.

Now, I do have to say, God is not a vending machine. You can't just ask him for something and expect you'll get it. He's more than a machine that hands to what you think you want. But really, I've been through a lot of bad things in my life before, things that others would easily resort to suicide. I stuck it out though, and this was a time before I even believed in God, and just survived. Really, I have. I have the papers to prove it.

Just because he doesn't give you something doesn't mean he doesn't care. He never gives you more than you can handle. If you couldn't handle it, you wouldn't have it. Simple as that. I feel sometimes a shaky feeling of doubt sometimes, but really, I just pray about it and tell myself to just have faith.

I'm actually a nondenominational Christian, because branches of Christianity certainly send me reeling sometimes. Honestly, most branches I really can't stand. I think the only branch I would ever be okay with is Protestants, even if they are known to be the PDA police. Whatever. That's minor compared to the things I've...seen. Our church actually feels very uncomfortable with it.

Now I'm curious; how many of you can list of some of the Christian superstitions we have? And I don't mean going to Hell--Hell is actually a lot of times misinterpreted, much to my irritation.

What exactly do you mean by "superstitions"? I was raised in a Christian household and am now an atheist. I don't feel I hold very many misconceptions.

It depends really if you ever go to church or not. I mean like speaking in tongues, possessions, exorcism, snake handlers in church, and some odd ways of taking communion.

Now for me, I don't believe it should be said they're going to pray for them. If maybe one of my friends or acquaintances is going through a hard time with their life, I simply say a few comforting words, make them feel better, and maybe tell them I'll keep them in my prayers. That's it. I don't say anything along the lines of being rude. That's just, well, rude.

Now, I do have to say, God is not a vending machine. You can't just ask him for something and expect you'll get it. He's more than a machine that hands to what you think you want. But really, I've been through a lot of bad things in my life before, things that others would easily resort to suicide. I stuck it out though, and this was a time before I even believed in God, and just survived. Really, I have. I have the papers to prove it.

Just because he doesn't give you something doesn't mean he doesn't care. He never gives you more than you can handle. If you couldn't handle it, you wouldn't have it. Simple as that. I feel sometimes a shaky feeling of doubt sometimes, but really, I just pray about it and tell myself to just have faith.

I'm actually a nondenominational Christian, because branches of Christianity certainly send me reeling sometimes. Honestly, most branches I really can't stand. I think the only branch I would ever be okay with is Protestants, even if they are known to be the PDA police. Whatever. That's minor compared to the things I've...seen. Our church actually feels very uncomfortable with it.

Now I'm curious; how many of you can list of some of the Christian superstitions we have? And I don't mean going to Hell--Hell is actually a lot of times misinterpreted, much to my irritation.

Violletta the things I prayed for was two of my pets. One was my dog who was sick and I was hoping he'd return home safe and sound. He didn't. No god to comfort me it was just me and my parents. Another one was one of my cats who had a stroke and lived about 2 months almost to the day before he died.

Some of you may find that silly to lose faith over that but that wasn't what fully pushed me into hating religion. What finally did was seeing the things they'd do to others and the things they'd say. The fighting that they'd do over what I consider just a book (nothing malicious intended it is just how I view the bible, a book filled with stories you can find comfort and morals in).

Before that I was fine. I was losing faith because there seemed to be nothing there. No guardian angel, no spirit to guide me or comfort me. The only things that did was around me. Things I could see and feel. I'm to the point if I don't see it I don't believe it. I do have my theories on certain subjects but if I can't see it I don't believe it is there.

By now though I don't want a part of it. I may say those little phrases like "I swear to god" or some other thing but they don't mean anything other wise. The hatred and prejudice people get from religion isn't something I like. My mom thinks being a homosexual is wrong (from what I understand). I believed that for a while but after that it changed thankfully and now I think for myself.

But yeah I just don't get how you can tell people you don't believe something and they can turn around and say straight to your face that it doesn't matter what you believe they are going to do it anyway.

I mean like speaking in tongues, possessions, exorcism, snake handlers in church, and some odd ways of taking communion.

Uhhh what? O_o'

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

Is that what they said word for word? That's...over the top.

As for that--I wasn't meaning to aim it at you. I was just saying. I'm sorry if I worded it a little funny, I tend to do that. All apologies if I caused offense.

It is a challenge sometimes to believe in something you cannot see. I know, I struggled with it for awhile. But that is yet a test of faith. Complex, frustrating, and sometimes driving me to a full of fit of tears, it drove me mad sometimes. But these things are what help me learn to grow as a Christian.

As for my superstition, I see I'm getting blank replies and confusion. Probably too much Christianese. Glossolalia, also known as speaking in tongues. I just wanted everyone's opinion on this because it's a weird subject for me. We don't practice it, but we had a sermon about the medium overcoming the message that involved this gibberish. You don't have to read everything--the first parts sum it up pretty well.

Edited by Violletta

Frankly, for me, I just don't even see the point of "growing" to take it on faith. I don't see the point of having faith or belief.

Is that what they said word for word? That's...over the top.

As for that--I wasn't meaning to aim it at you. I was just saying. I'm sorry if I worded it a little funny, I tend to do that. All apologies if I caused offense.

It is a challenge sometimes to believe in something you cannot see. I know, I struggled with it for awhile. But that is yet a test of faith. Complex, frustrating, and sometimes driving me to a full of fit of tears, it drove me mad sometimes. But these things are what help me learn to grow as a Christian.

As for my superstition, I see I'm getting blank replies and confusion. Probably too much Christianese. Glossolalia, also known as speaking in tongues. I just wanted everyone's opinion on this because it's a weird subject for me. We don't practice it, but we had a sermon about the medium overcoming the message that involved this gibberish. You don't have to read everything--the first parts sum it up pretty well.

Sorta but I got it wasn't aimed at me.

I'll quote what they said. I don't think they go to this site so hopefully it's safe.

im not going to read any of this, i just pray that people like you will be saved hell is an awful place. You all will be in my prayers.

That is a exact copy paste of what they said to me in their reply.

The whole speaking in tongues thing don't make since to me even after reading that. -lol- I'll try to re-read it later see if it'll make since. If all else fails will ask my mom.

I think the superstitions are just plain our weird and funny. They're real interesting to talk about and see what others have to say about them.

Hmm, yeah, I'm just going to ahead and say that is definitely what not to do. That's actually very unchristian to do that sort of thing. I'm ashamed of people who claim they're Christian yet turn and do that kind of stuff. Such hypocrites.

I know how all this feels too. I've been on both sides of the fence. I was raised in strict religion, but now, I'm pantheist (more similar to atheism or agnostic than anything else).

My sister and only sibling IS die-hard religious, though even she is not the religion we were raised with. We go rounds regularly. She often says she'll 'pray for me' often saying this right after a heated debate we have. To me, that translates to her thinking I'm WRONG and she needs to 'pray for me' because in her thinking, I'm wrong, incorrect, etc. and need to be saved from my own thinking and beliefs.

To me, this is an insult and disrespect for my beliefs. I respect hers (or anyones for that matter), but they are disrespecting MINE and stepping over mine by saying they need to use their religion, their religious affiliation to correct or make mine better. We CHOSE our path just like you. Respect it and we'll respect yours in turn. In many religions, isn't this the 'Golden Rule?'

Edited by Blazewing

I think it's hideously rude and presumptuous to pray for someone if they've indicated that they would not welcome such a thing being done on their behalf.

Period. Full stop. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Hell yes. I had a secretary once who used to say "I know you don't like it but I will pray for you..." mad.gif

How NOT religious can you get - isn't REAL religion supposed to respect the views of others ? I thought it was appalling of her, and if she felt she HAD to do it, I wished she would just NOT TELL ME and make it so much worse !

I believe everything and nothing at the same time, but do not subscribe to any organised religion, as I feel more strongly by the moment that ORGANISED religion is profoundly damaging. I call myself "eclectic". I was raised by an Anglican minister. It didn't take, from the age of about 16 - and he was fine with that (more than can be said for my mother, who was horrified when we had a civil wedding and didn't have him marry us !) And my sister keeps telling me I do so believe in God, I just haven't realised it yet - which is - OK-ish, as she doesn't push it !

I asked him once if he believed in God and he said he didn't know. THAT kind of minister I can cope with xd.png

Saying "I'll be praying for you" in the context of some moral disagreement like that is effectively a slap in the face, you're a disgusting person and I'm going to say it in a somewhat more acceptable way. It would be far better to just not say it, and if you feel like prayer is necessary then do it privately.

As far as speaking in tongues and whatnot, the Reformed position I hold to states that the gift of tongues and prophecy ceased with the canonization of scripture. They were necessary before the word of God was completed, but now that we have the entire work of God that He saw fit to give us, they are no longer necessary or possible.

I'm curious, Violletta, as you said Hell is often "misinterpreted," what is your understanding of the Biblical concept of Hell?