So you don't believe that we should consider your emotional needs if you come in for treatment, especially over an extended period of time? That I shouldn't consider your personal well-being? And why would you need a doctor's consultation for someone to attend to those needs?

I didn't say a hard no, plz to not be putting words in my mouth.

Of course you should. But emotional needs =/= spirituality. More precisely, there is more to "emotional needs" than "spirituality". Otherwise, I'm not spiritual, so are you saying I'm just not emotional?

I'd want medical consultation to be part of whatever because I dislike the idea of like, relying solely on stuff like "faith healing" and you did ask in the context of healthcare.

I'm raised atheist but both my mother and I are agnostic. All my best friends are religious but none of them are particularly the regular church going type.

What I'm curious to know is if most christians actually believe in heaven & hell. I went to a Christian primary school but most of my classmate didn't believe in either.

Without the concept of hell and punishment for sin, the concept of grace and salvation has no meaning. So yes.

Without the concept of hell and punishment for sin, the concept of grace and salvation has no meaning. So yes.

I disagree.

You can have salvation without torment. The alternative could be oblivion, for example, while salvation could lead to a much more desirable state of eternal bliss or something.

On that topic, I'll forever fail to understand how ANY sin can possibly warrant eternal suffering. Temporary suffering as punishment? Yeah, I can get that. But how can anybody possibly deserve to suffer eternally?

Especially since God is supposed to be all-knowing--wouldn't He therefore know before your birth if you would attain salvation or be condemned? Then, it could only be the work of a horrifically cruel and probably sadistic being to even allow one to come into existence while knowing even before that person was born that they would suffer eternally. There is nothing just or merciful or loving about condemning a person to eternal torment before they are even conceived.

Though I suppose if you don't believe in an all-knowing God, it could work... Still a pretty crappy deal, though.\

I didn't say a hard no, plz to not be putting words in my mouth.

Of course you should. But emotional needs =/= spirituality. More precisely, there is more to "emotional needs" than "spirituality". Otherwise, I'm not spiritual, so are you saying I'm just not emotional?

I'd want medical consultation to be part of whatever because I dislike the idea of like, relying solely on stuff like "faith healing" and you did ask in the context of healthcare.

Spiritual (adjective)

1 relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things:

I’m responsible for his spiritual welfare

having a relationship based on a profound level of mental or emotional communion:

he never forgot his spiritual father

(of a person) not concerned with material values or pursuits.

Spirituality: A quality that goes beyond religious affiliation, that  strives for inspirations, reverence, awe, meaning  and purpose, even in those who do not believe in any good. The spiritual dimension tries to be in harmony with the universe, strives for answers about the infinite, and comes into focus when the person faces emotional stress, physical illness or death.”

Spirituality is about:

 meaning and purpose

 hope and strength

 people’s values

 belief and faith in self, others, and for some this includes belief in a God or higher power

 trust and forgiveness

 morality

 love and relationships

 creativity and self-expression.

Those definitions I asked you about the emotional side - please don't interpret that as being me putting words in your mouth, but rather I was presenting another angle. Since you didn't provide me a definition of what you think spirituality to be I was working from the definition I have been given for spirituality and how I understand it, which to me encompasses the emotional needs of a person as much as anything else. So no, I'm not saying you lack in emotions, but what I am saying is you do have a spiritual aspect - that everyone has an aspect of spirituality. Spirituality does not seem to be necessarily about religion, belief in life after death, etc, but it is about meaning, purpose, your own morality and values and emotions - something of a broad subject.

And I find it interesting that you understood 'spirituality in healthcare' to be faith healing or the like. From a nursing perspective, spirituality in healthcare is looking after the spiritual needs of a person, so considering their emotion state of being, their belief system or lack thereof, building relationships with them and maintaining that person's relationships - we don't mean it to be sitting their and praying for someone or bringing in the local faith healer, but it can include that if that is that person's personal belief system. So we don't mean coming over and reciting prayers rather than giving you drugs, but more attending to your emotional well-being, ensuring that your non-physical needs are met - so the need for support, for comfort, having your friends and family to hand, stuff like that.

So given those definitions of 'spirituality,' does that change your answers somewhat?

Edited by Kestra15

I disagree.

You can have salvation without torment. The alternative could be oblivion, for example, while salvation could lead to a much more desirable state of eternal bliss or something.

On that topic, I'll forever fail to understand how ANY sin can possibly warrant eternal suffering. Temporary suffering as punishment? Yeah, I can get that. But how can anybody possibly deserve to suffer eternally?

Especially since God is supposed to be all-knowing--wouldn't He therefore know before your birth if you would attain salvation or be condemned? Then, it could only be the work of a horrifically cruel and probably sadistic being to even allow one to come into existence while knowing even before that person was born that they would suffer eternally. There is nothing just or merciful or loving about condemning a person to eternal torment before they are even conceived.

Though I suppose if you don't believe in an all-knowing God, it could work... Still a pretty crappy deal, though.\

Because as the great theologian R. C. Sproul said, sin is cosmic treason. In a worldly sense, if you have a perfectly just king sitting on the throne, and you commit heinous crimes against him, in his justice he has to dispense the due penalty. Because God is holy, He must punish sin.

While it's true that any sin leads to separation from God, how many people have committed one sin? Ever stolen something? Lied? Blasphemed? Looked with lust? Hated someone? Jesus said looking upon a woman to lust after her is committing the sin of adultery in the heart, and hating someone is like the sin of murder. There's not a person on earth who has just sinned "once or twice."

Depends on your theological views. I believe that those who reject God do so of their own will and choosing, and those who are saved are saved by God's sovereign call and grace.

Because as the great theologian R. C. Sproul said, sin is cosmic treason. In a worldly sense, if you have a perfectly just king sitting on the throne, and you commit heinous crimes against him, in his justice he has to dispense the due penalty. Because God is holy, He must punish sin.

While it's true that any sin leads to separation from God, how many people have committed one sin? Ever stolen something? Lied? Blasphemed? Looked with lust? Hated someone? Jesus said looking upon a woman to lust after her is committing the sin of adultery in the heart, and hating someone is like the sin of murder. There's not a person on earth who has just sinned "once or twice."

Depends on your theological views. I believe that those who reject God do so of their own will and choosing, and those who are saved are saved by God's sovereign call and grace.

I still don't think that anything can possibly warrant eternal punishment. There is not eternal sin, IMO. If you kill people, you don't spend eternity killing people. People who steal don't steal for eternity. There is a finite amount of time and pain a single sin can cause, even when magnified by repetition.

I can't therefore believe that anything could possibly deserve eternal punishment. Years, decades, centuries even of punishment? Sure. Thousands of years of punishment? Sure. Hell, millions of years worth, even. But not eternal, not never-ending punishment. Because I don't believe that there is such a thing as never-ending sin.

But God would know before their conception if they would chose to reject Him or not--and therefore still allowing them to be born, knowing full well that they would reject Him is still cruel. Like I said, though, if you don't believe God is all-knowing I can see it. But I can't agree with a god being all-knowing and still allowing people to come into the world just to suffer eternally and that god being anything short of cruel and sadistic.

Edited by KageSora

I still don't think that anything can possibly warrant eternal punishment. There is not eternal sin, IMO. If you kill people, you don't spend eternity killing people. People who steal don't steal for eternity. There is a finite amount of time and pain a single sin can cause, even when magnified by repetition.

I can't therefore believe that anything could possibly deserve eternal punishment. Years, decades, centuries even of punishment? Sure. Thousands of years of punishment? Sure. Hell, millions of years worth, even. But not eternal, not never-ending punishment. Because I don't believe that there is such a thing as never-ending sin.

But God would know before their conception if they would chose to reject Him or not--and therefore still allowing them to be born, knowing full well that they would reject Him is still cruel. Like I said, though, if you don't believe God is all-knowing I can see it. But I can't agree with a god being all-knowing and still allowing people to come into the world just to suffer eternally and that god being anything short of cruel and sadistic.

Certain secular crimes are deserving of the ultimate punishment of death. Crimes against the God who made you are deserving of eternal separation and punishment. Whether or not you BELIEVE it is one thing, but it is what the Bible teaches.

As to your second part...

What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory—even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?

(Romans 9:14-24 ESV)

Yes, the Bible is clear. God has called certain people to salvation and left others to the consequences of their own choices and actions. However, my belief is that God in His sovereignty does not violate the other aspects of His character in His election to salvation. He is still perfect, just, holy, and righteous.

user posted image

Proud Pagan here, but this is funny laugh.gif

Edited by Sorrowgrave

I don't understand the concept of 'if you don't believe in God, you'll rot in hell.' Gee, I'm not wasting my breath worrying about dying, so why does hell even matter? And why in the world worry about 'nothing after death'? That'll just make you a nervous trainwreck. There's nothing you can do once you're dead, so enjoy life. 8|;

*Atheist. I know religious people who take the same view.

*also grumpy because the whole 'hell' thing doesn't evne make sense, if you think about it. Underground is where bodies go, so wouldn't you go to hell even if you were a perfect person? And what do they mean by 'perfect'? Physically perfect, mentally, morally?

*No, I don't want answers. I'm venting.

Edited by Ashes The Second

user posted image

1. Not wrath, justice.

2. Not envy, righteous jealousy, as He is deserving of our full devotion.

3. God ordains everything in His sovereignty for the purposes of His will, so rather than being slothful, He is at work in everything.

4. It is not pride, it is what He deserves. If God is truly all perfect, sovereign, the creator of all things, He is deserving of all worship.

5. God requires no sustenance, so human greed preventing people from eating on earth does not imply gluttony on His part.

6. Tithes and offerings are not necessary for the approval of God. It's all His anyway, He can't BE greedy. Rather, tithes are expressions of faith in His promises, giving Him our "first fruits," and offerings are simply giving from the extra we have to those who have little.

7. Not even sure what's being implied there.

Basically what that picture is saying is not what the Bible teaches, so it's irrelevant.

1. Not wrath, justice.

2. Not envy, righteous jealousy, as He is deserving of our full devotion.

3. God ordains everything in His sovereignty for the purposes of His will, so rather than being slothful, He is at work in everything.

4. It is not pride, it is what He deserves. If God is truly all perfect, sovereign, the creator of all things, He is deserving of all worship.

5. God requires no sustenance, so human greed preventing people from eating on earth does not imply gluttony on His part.

6. Tithes and offerings are not necessary for the approval of God. It's all His anyway, He can't BE greedy. Rather, tithes are expressions of faith in His promises, giving Him our "first fruits," and offerings are simply giving from the extra we have to those who have little.

7. Not even sure what's being implied there.

Basically what that picture is saying is not what the Bible teaches, so it's irrelevant.

1. Yet if a person kills another for not obeying them, it's murder, not justice.

2. What has he done to deserve that? My gods have done more for me than he has. Yet they don't demand worship.

3. So his will is to have people starve to death, kill each other in wars, suffer from disease and poverty, and be forced to live hopeless and alone? Doesn't sound like much of a loving god to me.

4. Again, tell me what he has done to deserve worship besides being what you call "perfect."

5. Maybe not gluttony, but I find it sick to let people starve when he has everything in his power to feed the hungry.

6. I'll give you this one here, though I do disagree that everything belongs to your god.

7. I'm not too familiar with the bible, but I think this has something to do with marriage being supposedly holy or approved by god or something like that.

Certain secular crimes are deserving of the ultimate punishment of death. Crimes against the God who made you are deserving of eternal separation and punishment. Whether or not you BELIEVE it is one thing, but it is what the Bible teaches.

Hmmmm. Not really weighing in here (simply don't have the time today) but I just thought I'd throw it out there that there are some not unsizeable denominations that do not consider the scriptures to support eternal tormant in fire, but rather a sleep of death until the ressurection of *all* physical bodies prior to judgement.

So, yeah, there's debate about wether or not eternal damnation *is* what the Bible says.

1. Yet if a person kills another for not obeying them, it's murder, not justice.

2. What has he done to deserve that? My gods have done more for me than he has. Yet they don't demand worship.

3. So his will is to have people starve to death, kill each other in wars, suffer from disease and poverty, and be forced to live hopeless and alone? Doesn't sound like much of a loving god to me.

4. Again, tell me what he has done to deserve worship besides being what you call "perfect."

5. Maybe not gluttony, but I find it sick to let people starve when he has everything in his power to feed the hungry.

6. I'll give you this one here, though I do disagree that everything belongs to your god.

7. I'm not too familiar with the bible, but I think this has something to do with marriage being supposedly holy or approved by god or something like that.

Poor comparison really. A better comparison is a judge dispensing a penalty for breaking a law. God is the ultimate judge.

He created the world and everything in it. Basically the founding assumption is God is good, I am not, and He is worthy of my worship.

No. God's perfect will is different from His sovereign will. In His sovereign will, He leaves the depraved to their sinful choices and the consequences of their action. His perfect will is that none should perish, all should come to Him, and for people to be perfectly amicable and generous and everything else that could solve the world's problems, but we won't, and we aren't. We're sinful.

Considering you don't believe in Him, that's expected xd.png

I mean, we disagree fundamentally about lots of things. I'm just saying what the Bible says. We're getting into points of theology that hinge on the belief that the Bible is the inerrant word of God. If you don't believe that, then it's perfectly okay to reject the portions of scripture that are difficult to come to terms with. I can't do that.

Hmmmm. Not really weighing in here (simply don't have the time today) but I just thought I'd throw it out there that there are some not unsizeable denominations that do not consider the scriptures to support eternal tormant in fire, but rather a sleep of death until the ressurection of *all* physical bodies prior to judgement. So, yeah, there's debate about wether or not eternal damnation *is* what the Bible says.

Daniel 12:2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

2 Thess. 1:9 And these will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power.

Matt. 25:46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

Etc.

Sure, not everyone agrees that there IS eternal torment. But I believe it's rather hard to argue that point from scripture. Rather, it involves rejection of certain passages.

Edited by philpot123

He created the world and everything in it. Basically the founding assumption is God is good, I am not, and He is worthy of my worship.

And this is where we disagree once more. I don't believe in ultimate good and evil. Even gods have both sides, therefore it's up to the individual to decide who is worthy of worship (or if not outright worship, who they should follow). It's not inherent.

Considering you don't believe in Him, that's expected xd.png

I never said I don't believe in him. I just don't follow him.

If you don't believe that, then it's perfectly okay to reject the portions of scripture that are difficult to come to terms with.

It's not that it's difficult to come to terms with. That would imply that I believed in eternal punishment, which I don't. And since I don't, I don't need to come to terms with anything.

And this is where we disagree once more. I don't believe in ultimate good and evil. Even gods have both sides, therefore it's up to the individual to decide who is worthy of worship (or if not outright worship, who they should follow). It's not inherent.

I never said I don't believe in him. I just don't follow him.

It's not that it's difficult to come to terms with. That would imply that I believed in eternal punishment, which I don't. And since I don't, I don't need to come to terms with anything.

Right, so we have fundamental disagreements that result in us having a rift in this department that is unable to be crossed tongue.gif

Ah, okay, sorry!

Oh, that was in reference to people who believe in "Christianity" but don't like what those passages of scripture have to say about punishment being eternal, so they have to reject them. Since you don't accept scripture as authoritative, it's not a problem for you. It's inconsequential to your worldview.

Right, so we have fundamental disagreements that result in us having a rift in this department that is unable to be crossed tongue.gif

Right. But that's why it's fun to debate. Isn't it good to hear the other side of things?

Ah, okay, sorry!

S'all right. Just a little misunderstanding.

Oh, that was in reference to people who believe in "Christianity" but don't like what those passages of scripture have to say about punishment being eternal, so they have to reject them. Since you don't accept scripture as authoritative, it's not a problem for you. It's inconsequential to your worldview.

Ahh, gotcha. I don't think I'm going to get into how those passages should be interpreted though; I'll leave it to someone who understands the bible more than me.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Sure, not everyone agrees that there IS eternal torment. But I believe it's rather hard to argue that point from scripture. Rather, it involves rejection of certain passages.

As I said - not really getting into the discussion. Or actually disagreeing with you from a personal point of view. I was just tossing it out there that there's disagreement even in Christianity about it (and as is usual in such theological discussion their opinions are backed with scripture) so it's not quite as flat out simple as it might appear on the surface.

As to your second part...

What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory—even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?

(Romans 9:14-24 ESV)

Yes, the Bible is clear. God has called certain people to salvation and left others to the consequences of their own choices and actions. However, my belief is that God in His sovereignty does not violate the other aspects of His character in His election to salvation. He is still perfect, just, holy, and righteous.

That depends on interpretation and if you believe the Bible is completely unaltered, too. IIIRC, there is a belief among some that the idea of Hell as eternal torment was later added to the Bible and is not part of the original text, too. Or that it was mistranslated, etc.

Besides, I still don't understand how a crime against God deserves eternal suffering. But you can explain it to me all you want, I just don't think I'm capable of understanding it. I've had it explained over and over and it never makes sense to me.

I mean, He knows our choices before we are even born--some are then born destined to fail, never even having a chance because He knew what their ultimate fate would be before they were even conceived. And I will never be able to understand how such a being could be considered loving and merciful.

If He did not know beforehand who would be saved and who would fall, that I could understand. But I'm pretty sure the Bible says that He is all-knowing, too, so...

I know this isn't exactly the same thing, but...

I'm a writer, so I get to "play god" and create worlds and characters. But honestly? My characters have "wills" of their own, so to speak, and they "talk back" to me quite often. I have a plan that I lay out for them--but I find that if I "listen" to what my characters "want" and chance my plan for them to suite them as they change, the stories turn out better. When I try to just say "Nope, this is the plan I had for this character, not gonna change it", it turns out a lot worse.

So to me, the idea of a creator who won't alter their plans as they see how their creations grow just seems... Strange. And all my creations are fictional characters! So it seems even stranger to me that a creator who has real people as their "characters" would be so... "This is my will, and that's what's happening, too bad for you if you happen to get the short end of the stick and suffer forever!"

And I myself don't like creating characters who are destined to fail. I mean, I know I need to in the end to have a "bad guy", but I still feel kinda bad about it. But, if I found out that these were real people, I don't think I actually could go through with creating a person solely for the idea of them failing and then suffering forever because of it.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Lemme know if I'm just babbling and stuff doesn't make sense, my brain's a little bit friend from working Pokemon Day today.

user posted image

That's a fun twist, given your beliefs. Here's my perspective on what was listed.

Wrath: Not wrath, more like necessary pruning for the health of the plant. I already mentioned my view about folks having free will and being interconnected, and that destructive choices can destroy God's plan for humanity.

Envy: Putting anything before God means at some point they will be making destructive choices. Again, God's actions are like pruning.

Sloth: Is a teacher being lazy by letting students make errors from which they can learn? Or by giving them challenging projects to build their skills? True, it does not make any sense from our perspective, but we do not know what is being taught until after we learn it.

Pride: God is the source of all life and wants us to grow healthy. When we turn to other things, it is like overindulging in junk food instead of maintaining a healthy diet.

Gluttony: God is the source of all things; how can God have less than everything? As for letting some hunger - see sloth.

Greed: As a protestant, I recall learning about "indulgences" being rejected in the middle ages by those who wanted to reform the Church out of evil practices. Jesus pointed out that the pictures on money are of the government leaders, not God, and said to give to the government (literally, "Caesar") what is the government's and to give to God what is God's. If we are to tithe, it is like unto fulfilling civic duty, everyone pitching in according to their means for the betterment of all.

Lust: Marriage is about far more than physical copulation. God bestowed the gift of physical pleasure on humans, which I believe is intended as a extra special bond between the couple to help them respond to one another more fully in other aspects of life. We need to understand how to put another's needs ahead of our own, so that we can learn to put God first, as is healthiest for our souls.

Again, just my current perspective. Obviously yours is quite different. wink.gif

Just a little situation I saw on Friday that I think y'all in this thread may enjoy reading.

A bit of background first. The university where I work often has very religious people come on campus and preach at the students as they pass into/out of the Student Union building. There are a variety of groups/people and they use many methods that range from just handing out small bibles to yelling at the students with full "fire and brimstone" sermons.

Well, A friend and I have been giving out free hugs (holding up "free hugs" signs and wishing people a great weekend) these past several Fridays, just to help brighten people's days at the end of a week of school/work. It was inevitable that our being on the plaza would coincide with some of the religious people being there as well.

That Friday, there was one of the loud "fire and brimstone" preachers yelling at the people passing by set up on the south side of the plaza. In order to not crowd him, my friend and I set up on the north side of the plaza and soon had started to give out free hugs.

When the first person came by to give us a hug, the preacher glared at us and changed his sermon to something that said that there was nothing good in earthly love because the only love that was without sin was the love of christ. My friend and I ignored his yelled preaching and continued to wish people a good weekend. Barely fifteen minutes into our being there, the preacher picked up his stuff and walked off.

It seems that we chased him off and made him uncomfortable, though we had no intention of doing so. We weren't endorsing any religion or lack thereof, nor were we saying anything against anyone.

Now for a couple questions for y'all on things that I am a bit confused on.

Why do you think we made him uncomfortable?

If god is supposedly a god of love, then why would our sharing our love of people by giving them hugs be something a follower of god be upset about?

If god is supposedly a god of love, then why would our sharing our love of people by giving them hugs be something a follower of god be upset about?

I can honestly say, as a comitted Christian myself... buggered if I know. I do sometimes wonder how much of the Bible these guys have actually read.

People with small, shrivelled, bitter hearts often can't stand to see other people being genuinely loving and happy. It just sticks in their craw.

I'd say that's probably what happened in this case. I've never met a Christian of that stripe yet who was genuinely kind and compassionate. They concentrate on hating others and looking down on "sinners", and as a result they're usually exceptionally mean-spirited individuals (again, in my personal experience).

I wouldn't be upset by free hugs and cannot see why someone who genuinely wants to spread some peace and love around would be upset by it either.

PS I've had a crap day, can I have early hugs?

I wouldn't be upset by free hugs and cannot see why someone who genuinely wants to spread some peace and love around would be upset by it either.

PS I've had a crap day, can I have early hugs?

*hug*

Always willing to help improve someone's bad day with a hug, no matter what race, religion, or whatever.

I was talking with my best friend (and husband) about this, and they mentioned that, in their view, Jesus likely would have been right beside my friend and I giving out free hugs. Such a different view than that the preacher was yelling about.

Glad to hear that several of you feel similarly to me, in that good will encompasses all people. smile.gif

As the resident forum fundamentalist, a backwards Bible thumper... I love hugs. Not sure who peed in his cheerios, but that guy sure wasn't basing that off any scripture I can find tongue.gif feel free to brighten my day anytime, I won't preach hellfire at ya because of it.