Obscure_Trash

Religion

I am atheist.

I truly do not believe in a 'god' or anything of the sort. From what we as humans have discovered through science, it doesn't seem possible. I just can't fathom the possibility of God actually existing. It's a little too much for my brain to handle. >.>

I was raised Christian but it never really stuck to me, even when I was a little kid going to Sunday School. Whenever the teachers would tell us a story from the Bible or whatever, I'd think "that's unfair" or "why would God let that happen?" And all around me were these other kids who believed so full-heartedly in God that I was kind of shunned, even though I didn't say out loud what I thought.

Edit: I just thought I'd add that religion interests me greatly. I've read the Bible and tried to think like people from a multitude of different religions. I think it's awesome how people can put so much faith in something that isn't a proven fact.

Edited by Lady Artemis

I'm kind of flitting between agnaostic atheist and agnostic theist at the moment, which the "theist" part being Wicca. I figure that this will settle eventually, and if I convert to Wicca, I'll commit when I'm ready. c:

I'm kind of flitting between agnaostic atheist and agnostic theist at the moment, which the "theist" part being Wicca. I figure that this will settle eventually, and if I convert to Wicca, I'll commit when I'm ready. c:

I have a friend who is Wicca, she's pretty awesome. That's one of my favorite religions.

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what is Wicca? I'm curious, enlighten me (:

Oohoohoooh, witchcraft...always did interest me. *reads about Wicca*

Honestly I had never heard it called Wicca before. Huh. Probably a religion they wouldn't want to focus too much on in my cautious public school?

Oohoohoooh, witchcraft...always did interest me. *reads about Wicca*

Honestly I had never heard it called Wicca before. Huh. Probably a religion they wouldn't want to focus too much on in my cautious public school?

Probably not xd.png

Lots of people frown upon it because they think it's all summoning demons and stuff but it's actually really cool and NOT dark.

Probably not xd.png

Lots of people frown upon it because they think it's all summoning demons and stuff but it's actually really cool and NOT dark.

Yeah, I never really got the fuss over witchcraft. It has always really just...been so cool to me, so interesting, so the fact that the Harry Potter books are banned in some countries for encouraging witchcraft is just ridiculous. Tsk tsk. Peoples are so sensitives.

And my teachers are hardly comfortable talking about creationism in a biology class, so I doubt they would teach us anything more than Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, etc. The basics, the world's leading religions. What they think we should know.

Religion is such a source of debate. (I JUST SUMMED UP MY NATION'S CONFLICTS LIKE OMGLOL)

I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy... (bonus to anyone who knows the movie)

Religion is such a source of debate.

Mhmm. My dad's family is Buddhist, and my mom's family is Christian, so there was a bit of trouble when they wanted to get married, so they both ditched their respective religions, so I was raised in a very secular family. Hence I don't really have a religion. My mom's turned Catholic in the last few years though, my dad doesn't mind.

Wicca isn't all witchcraft. Most Wiccans are witches, yes, but not all, and ere are plenty of witches from other religions, including Christianity.

If you want a great website in Wicca, check this out. It's the best Wicca website I've found. c:

I am atheist.

I truly do not believe in a 'god' or anything of the sort. From what we as humans have discovered through science, it doesn't seem possible. I just can't fathom the possibility of God actually existing. It's a little too much for my brain to handle. >.>

I was raised Christian but it never really stuck to me, even when I was a little kid going to Sunday School. Whenever the teachers would tell us a story from the Bible or whatever, I'd think "that's unfair" or "Why would God let that happen?" And all around me were these other kids who believed so full-heartedly in God that I was kind of shunned, even though I didn't say out loud what I thought.

Exactly how I feel. I just don''t think that "God" is possible. I mean if something bad happens I think Why would a God let that happen? But religious people would say it was better than it could have been. To me that's an odd way if thinking, because if you go your whole life thinking about everything like that, then everything proves God is real. I try to stay out of religion, and I like to think of myself as someone without religion. Society places too much importance on religion and it sometimes ends up making people treat other people unfairly, which is why I'm not even truthful about my religion at school and when I talk to my family about it they say I can't decide my religion yet, then they try to force their religion on me.

I mean if something bad happens I think Why would a God let that happen?

Well, some of us believe gods don't have any control over our lives. Personally I believe they have better things to do than keep a constant eye on us.

Wicca isn't all witchcraft. Most Wiccans are witches, yes, but not all, and ere are plenty of witches from other religions, including Christianity.

If you want a great website in Wicca, check this out. It's the best Wicca website I've found. c:

... Except Christianity includes express condemnations of the practice of witchcraft, so someone claiming to be a "Christian witch" would be disregarding that part of the Christian faith...

Well, some of us believe gods don't have any control over our lives. Personally I believe they have better things to do than keep a constant eye on us.

And then there's the idea of a god not always being kind or indifferent.

Wrathful or sadistic gods have been believed in.

I'm a writer, and I'm kind of like a god to my characters--I created them, I have the ability to step in and change any details of their lives that I chose (theoretically anyway, haha), they die if I chose and they suffer as I see fit.

I'm almost certain that if my characters were capable of feeling as real people are, and of comprehending me, that they would view me as a cruel and sadistic god, simply because of the glee I get from putting them into horrible situations that traumatize them or kill them or something like that.

It's not so hard to imagine a higher power than ourselves that felt that way, too.

... Except Christianity includes express condemnations of the practice of witchcraft, so someone claiming to be a "Christian witch" would be disregarding that part of the Christian faith...

Playing devil's advocate here, but those condemnations are in the same places where they command women covering their hair, and condemn eating shellfish, and say G-d is one.

Edited by ShinyTomato

Exactly how I feel. I just don''t think that "God" is possible. I mean if something bad happens I think Why would a God let that happen?

God gives us a brain to make our choices. As an adult most people should know right from wrong. God does not make bad things happen, people do.

Playing devil's advocate here, but those condemnations are in the same places where they command women covering their hair, and condemn eating shellfish, and say G-d is one.

Exactly. I've met a few Christian witches in my time, and they seemed quite reverent and devout to me.

Also, to repeat the distinction just because it's so vitally important: witchcraft, the technical practice, is not the same thing as Wicca, the religion, although the two are commonly confused in the minds of the general public. smile.gif

Edited by prairiecrow

Taliban: Afghanistan Attack Linked To Anti-Islam Film

KABUL, Sept 15 (Reuters) - Afghanistan's Taliban claimed responsibility on Saturday for an attack on a base which U.S. officials said killed two American Marines, saying it was in response to a film that insults the Prophet Mohammad.

Camp Bastion, in southern Helmand province, came under mortar, rocket-propelled grenade and small arms fire late on Friday in an attack in which several servicemen were wounded.

"The aim of this attack was revenge against Americans for the anti-Prophet movie," said Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf.

U.S. President Barack Obama has vowed to "stand fast" against violence which has spread since the amateurish film of obscure origin triggered an attack on the U.S. consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi that killed the ambassador and three other Americans on Sept. 11, the eleventh anniversary of the al Qaeda attacks on the United States.

Britain's Prince Harry was at Camp Bastion at the time of Friday's attack, but was unharmed.

Earlier this week, the Afghan Taliban said they were doing everything in their power to either kill or kidnap Queen Elizabeth's grandson in what they dubbed their "Harry Operations."

"Prince Harry was never in any danger," Martyn Crighton, a spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), said, adding that it would investigate whether his presence on the base had motivated the attack.

Britain's Sky News said a Taliban commander had told the broadcaster that Prince Harry was main target of the attack. Sky's Kabul correspondent said she checked with a Taliban spokesman, who said the attack on Bastion was indeed in revenge for the Islam film, but that Bastion was chosen as the target because Prince Harry was there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/15/t...26pLid%3D205973

These people are barbaric PERIOD. They also think the solution is to kill, they do not know what peace is. Yep, got to love their religion, not.

When you have a religion that requires total submission, and death is the price you pay for not submitting, there will never be peace. Some people will not ever, ever submit. Therefore, there will never be peace where there is Islam. Foolish to think we could ever bring them peace, they live and die by the sword and if they don’t have a foreign enemy to kill, they turn on each other. “Give me liberty or give me death", someone once said.

The real alarm is that an Islamic mob frenzy occurred outside our embassy in London. Given the invasion of Muslims into western European nations over the past couple of decades has created these immigrant Imans to threaten and in some cases act with violence upon any real or perceived offense to their prophet. Remember the native Dutch politician that was murdered about five years ago because he was gay? He was gunned down in his own country by an Islamic immigrant. How many acts of terror occurred or have been thwarted solely by Islamofascists that have their "soft invasions" into Western Europe and the United States? Just wait until these protests and riots by Muslims start happening in America!!! This is a direct confrontation between Islamic religious fanaticism(a foreign concept to our nation) meets American freedom of speech with our traditions, values, and the freedom we had through September 10th, 2001. With the subtle growth of Islam in America, we need to seriously ask ourselves how long will it be before this foreign religion enacts the same anti-American mayhem on our shores?!!!! We've already had 9/11,The Fort Hood murderer, the Times Square Pakastani plot to bomb Times Square. Yet, we're forced to "celebrate diversity" at the expense of our freedom and fleeting way of life. America needs to IMMEDIATELY stop foreign aid to these countries. Let them live with their tyrants and various factions of Islam. Billions for AMERICANS NOT FOREIGNERS! Our government needs to send them all back from where they came from.

I think common sense would dictate that the Prince should not be in combat, especially in an area of complete nutcases. His presence further endangers our troops due to the fact that the radical nuts will want to try and kidnap or kill the Prince. I admire his bravery and sense of duty, but it comes at too high a price to the other troops that he is serving with. Because he is royalty, I do not think he should be in danger this way either.

Radicals to not represent an entire religion, culture of people, or country.

That is all I can trust myself to say on this.

These people are barbaric PERIOD. They also think the solution is to kill, they do not know what peace is. Yep, got to love their religion, not.

That is not fair, Kat. That would be like me condemning Christianity for the Holocaust, or the fact that multiple churches in the US and abroad think that Rom should be sterilized because we cannot be saved.

Think about violence by Christians for a few seconds -- witch-hunts that still happen in other countries, Uganda's kill-the-gays legislation, or bombings and shootings at abortion clinics, throwing rocks at people leaving synagogues and mosques, rapes in attempts to change orientation, right here at home.

The actions of the few are not a reflection of the beliefs of the many. There are over 3,500 active duty Muslims in the US Armed Forces, and possibly more that haven't publicised it.

Taliban: Afghanistan Attack Linked To Anti-Islam Film

KABUL, Sept 15 (Reuters) - Afghanistan's Taliban claimed responsibility on Saturday for an attack on a base which U.S. officials said killed two American Marines, saying it was in response to a film that insults the Prophet Mohammad.

Camp Bastion, in southern Helmand province, came under mortar, rocket-propelled grenade and small arms fire late on Friday in an attack in which several servicemen were wounded.

"The aim of this attack was revenge against Americans for the anti-Prophet movie," said Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf.

U.S. President Barack Obama has vowed to "stand fast" against violence which has spread since the amateurish film of obscure origin triggered an attack on the U.S. consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi that killed the ambassador and three other Americans on Sept. 11, the eleventh anniversary of the al Qaeda attacks on the United States.

Britain's Prince Harry was at Camp Bastion at the time of Friday's attack, but was unharmed.

Earlier this week, the Afghan Taliban said they were doing everything in their power to either kill or kidnap Queen Elizabeth's grandson in what they dubbed their "Harry Operations."

"Prince Harry was never in any danger," Martyn Crighton, a spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), said, adding that it would investigate whether his presence on the base had motivated the attack.

Britain's Sky News said a Taliban commander had told the broadcaster that Prince Harry was main target of the attack. Sky's Kabul correspondent said she checked with a Taliban spokesman, who said the attack on Bastion was indeed in revenge for the Islam film, but that Bastion was chosen as the target because Prince Harry was there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/15/t...26pLid%3D205973

When you have a religion that requires total submission, and death is the price you pay for not submitting, there will never be peace. Some people will not ever, ever submit. Therefore, there will never be peace where there is Islam. Foolish to think we could ever bring them peace, they live and die by the sword and if they don’t have a foreign enemy to kill, they turn on each other. “Give me liberty or give me death", someone once said.

The real alarm is that an Islamic mob frenzy occurred outside our embassy in London. Given the invasion of Muslims into western European nations over the past couple of decades has created these immigrant Imans to threaten and in some cases act with violence upon any real or perceived offense to their prophet. Remember the native Dutch politician that was murdered about five years ago because he was gay? He was gunned down in his own country by an Islamic immigrant. How many acts of terror occurred or have been thwarted solely by Islamofascists that have their "soft invasions" into Western Europe and the United States? Just wait until these protests and riots by Muslims start happening in America!!! This is a direct confrontation between Islamic religious fanaticism(a foreign concept to our nation) meets American freedom of speech with our traditions, values, and the freedom we had through September 10th, 2001. With the subtle growth of Islam in America, we need to seriously ask ourselves how long will it be before this foreign religion enacts the same anti-American mayhem on our shores?!!!! We've already had 9/11,The Fort Hood murderer, the Times Square Pakastani plot to bomb Times Square. Yet, we're forced to "celebrate diversity" at the expense of our freedom and fleeting way of life. America needs to IMMEDIATELY stop foreign aid to these countries. Let them live with their tyrants and various factions of Islam. Billions for AMERICANS NOT FOREIGNERS! Our government needs to send them all back from where they came from.

I think common sense would dictate that the Prince should not be in combat, especially in an area of complete nutcases. His presence further endangers our troops due to the fact that the radical nuts will want to try and kidnap or kill the Prince. I admire his bravery and sense of duty, but it comes at too high a price to the other troops that he is serving with. Because he is royalty, I do not think he should be in danger this way either.

Definately not fair. In fact Islam is just a peaceful as Christianity. In fact ponder this; Christainity, Jeudism, and Islam all pray to the same god.

Christainity seperated from Jeudism before Muhammad was born, and the followers of Islam came from Arabic Christains and people of the jewish faith as well as arabs practicing another religion.

In other words we all worship the same god in different ways, and just like there are many denominations of Christiainity, there are many sects of Islam.

And there are extremists from every one of these religions.

Christianity->KKK, Westboro Babtist Church

Islam->Al Quida, Taliban (really a political group not one in the same with Al Quida though there are some conections)

Jeudism->Gush Emunim Underground

Cairo has, 18 million people. The protest had less than one thousand. Are we to carpet bomb 18 million people to strike at a handful?

Ooh, ooh! I got my hair and bits of scalp pulled out by some fundie Christians a few days ago, can I bomb all the Christians too?

Edited by ylangylang

Covering hair is an interesting doctrinal debate in the Christian church...

The condemnation may be in the same parts of the law, but eating shellfish didn't bear the penalty of death, did it?

Exactly. I've met a few Christian witches in my time, and they seemed quite reverent and devout to me.

Not saying all Christians feel this way, but this is my belief in regards to that, my own convictions based on my (very possibly/probably flawed) understandings of scripture.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

Argue about the word that is translated "homosexuals" all you want, that's not what I'm referring to.

If this verse were to be taken at face value, it would seem that no one could really inherit the kingdom of God. Who hasn't stolen something? Or, if Jesus is to be taken seriously when He said that looking with lust is committing the sin of adultery in your heart, who hasn't? However, it continues on...

Verse 11,Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

So. What I personally feel about this passage is a distinction between the saved believer, who is no longer what they were before (such were some of you) and the unbeliever who continues in sin. There are other passages on the same subject, faith producing works, knowing trees by their fruit, all that oft-quoted stuff. I, personally, have difficulty reconciling someone claiming to be a Christian but continuing in something that is Biblically sinful. It appears, to me, to be contrary to the message of scripture. Some may disagree on that point. I would also believe, based on my understanding of the relevant passages, that the practice of witchcraft is sinful. Others will disagree on that point as well. But as I said. Personally, I can't reconcile the two. Being a practicing witch and also a Christian... doesn't work with my incredibly biased worldview.