Obscure_Trash

Religion

see I'm Wiccan, if I REALLY wanted something done, and no traditional means can help me achiveve it, I'm going to get some good money together and I'm going to a Priestess or practicing Wiccan if they take money for their services because they probably know what the censorkip.gif their doing and I'm following their instructions. I'm not using some half assed text from the internet because that could backfire (unless it's from a credible source)

I also believe that the only way for a deity or demon to find out what you're doing with their name or anything is if you do a summoning ritual and confess to them, unless you're doing it in the presence of a wild raven in which case Odin's gonna know by dusk or dawn depending on what time it is.

But that still doesn't mean I'm going to even pretend Hoodoo , not happening...

I also believe that some people are born special, with a keener eye for the supernatural than others , psychics, Wiccans that can practice, people with the third eye pyrokentics (they are real) things like that. Not some willy nilly OMG!!! I love twilight and magic teenager who probably is poltergeist (had my mom ask me if I was earlier this year because of what was happening in the house, might of been me, but lately if she's noticed anything it's Gabriel doing it)

I also believe when you die, you either reincarnate or go to the spiritworld. The spiritworld has a "hell" in it, which is where you go if you're bad in this life, it doesn't matter what religion you followed.

Edited by NixAyum

I've been looking into Wicca for a while, and I think it may be the religion I stick with. It just kinda clicks. It makes sense to me. I was really comfused about the whole magic/spellcasting thing, but I think I understand it now.

On that note, does anyone know some reliable websites on Wicca? Wicca For the Rest of Us was very helpful, and I was wondering if anyone knew of some similar websites.

I'm lucky enough to have a active wiccan commuinty in my town, so can't help you there

I've been looking into Wicca for a while, and I think it may be the religion I stick with. It just kinda clicks. It makes sense to me. I was really comfused about the whole magic/spellcasting thing, but I think I understand it now.

On that note, does anyone know some reliable websites on Wicca? Wicca For the Rest of Us was very helpful, and I was wondering if anyone knew of some similar websites.

Wicca For the Rest Of Us is honestly the only website I've ever come across that I'd wholeheartedly endorse.

I can recommend some books though, if you'd like...?

As to Sorrowgrave's post: In the vast majority of Wiccan Traditions we of the priesthood are NOT allowed to charge for our services, for various reasons, beyond a reasonable fee for expensive materials. Therefore if I went to a Wiccan priest/ess and they started quoting me prices I'd immediately be very skeptical of their skills and their training. Just my own personal experience, YMMV.

(Of course not all witches are Wiccans, and non-Wiccan witches are free to do as they please within the bounds of whatever other religion they may follow if that religion imposes conditions on their practice of witchcraft.)

Edited by prairiecrow

Wicca For the Rest Of Us is honestly the only website I've ever come across that I'd wholeheartedly endorse.

As to Sorrowgrave's post: In the vast majority of Wiccan Traditions we of the priesthood are NOT allowed to charge for our services, for various reasons, beyond a reasonable fee for expensive materials. Therefore if I went to a Wiccan priest/ess and they started quoting me prices I'd immediately be very skeptical of their skills and their training. Just my own personal experience, YMMV.

Some book recommendations would be wonderful, thank you. c: I have more limited access to them, but I'm sure I could find a few at a library.

Haha, I haven't found any other websites that seem legitamite either. xd.png

Edit: Satyr is not good at wording things.

Edited by satyr76

I'm non-religious. I grew up being toted to Baptist churches, then started going to a Methodist church with my grandmother as a teenager. I've seen the best of religious folks, and some of the worse. I completely renounced any belief in religion last year. Personal reasons.

I do believe that there *is* something for us after we die. Maybe it's because I've lost SO.MANY people dear to me that I believe it out of some mental need, I don't know. Just through losses here and there, I feel as if I've been sent signs from my loved ones. Again, it might be mental and imagined, but I don't feel like it is when it's happening.

I actually have a lot of wierd thoughts/questions about religion but it wasn't until I started typing this reply that I realized how sleepy I was, so I'll just leave it at this and maybe edit it later to include more.

Some book recommendations would be wonderful, thank you. c: I have more limited access to them, but I'm sure I could find a few at a library.

Haha, I haven't found any other websites that seem legitamite either. xd.png

Edit: Satyr is not good at wording things.

"Wicca for Beginners" by Thea Sabin is the essential first book, IMO, because it clearly outlines the theory that underlies Wiccan practice, and a good understanding of that makes everything else you'll read much more comprehensible.

Next up, I'd suggest "Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" by Scott Cunningham. Cunningham has been justly accused of being a little on the light side, but the advantage of this particular book is that it gives you the information you need to start practicing his version of the religion on a daily basis, and Wicca is a religion of doing in my experience.

Third, I think you should try to get your hands on a copy of "The Triumph of the Moon" by Ronald Hutton. There's a lot of bad history floating around out there, and Hutton provides an in-depth examination of the origins of Wicca (hint: it ain't "the oldest religion out there" by a long shot).

Hope that helps. smile.gif

ETA: Authors to steer clear of include Silver Ravenwolf, Fiona Horne, and whoever wrote that godawful book "Wiccapedia" (ugh!)

Edited by prairiecrow

Thanks, that helps a lot. <3 I'll try to find them next time I go to the library.

On a similar note, does anyone know if books by Janet and Stewart Farrar are reliable? My dad gave me their book, A Witches Bible Compleat, and the title made me a bit wary, so I was wondering if anyone had read it.

Thanks, that helps a lot. <3 I'll try to find them next time I go to the library.

On a similar note, does anyone know if books by Janet and Stewart Farrar are reliable? My dad gave me their book, A Witches Bible Compleat, and the title made me a bit wary, so I was wondering if anyone had read it.

They're two of the most solid Wiccan authors out there, and you're fortunate to have that particular book because it provides an excellent window into the practices of Alexandrian Wicca, one of the original Traditions.

Thanks. c: After reading about fluffy bunnies, weird spellings make me kinda wary, so I wasn't sure how it would be. xd.png I'll definitely get started on reading it the first chance I get.

Edit for spelling fail xd.png

Edited by satyr76

ETA: Authors to steer clear of include Silver Ravenwolf, Fiona Horne, and whoever wrote that godawful book "Wiccapedia" (ugh!)

Oh really? Why Silver Ravenwolf? "To Ride a Silver Broomstick" (I think, anyway) was the first Wiccan book I had, given to me by my older 'sister'. I found it delightfully intriguing.

Oh really? Why Silver Ravenwolf? "To Ride a Silver Broomstick" (I think, anyway) was the first Wiccan book I had, given to me by my older 'sister'. I found it delightfully intriguing.

http://wicca.cnbeyer.com/ravenwolf.shtml

That explains it better than I can. I've never read her books, but from what I've heard, it's full of misinformation.

http://wicca.cnbeyer.com/ravenwolf.shtml

That explains it better than I can. I've never read her books, but from what I've heard, it's full of misinformation.

Although I am not Wiccan nor have done much study into it past my normal curiousity, I do have a couple of Wiccan friends including my closest friend, and I have heard from her that Ravenwolf is a bad, bad example of Wicca - I believe she said it was something about the author's bigotry and lack of willing to accept anything but 'her' way.

I've certainly always found her writings to be rather extremist and off-putting.

She's a bigot (her attitudes toward Christianity in particular are truly disgusting) and a liar (she was caught faking her Wiccan lineage, which is a really big deal in our community). Plus she peddles bad history and dumbs things down to the point of insensibility. Plus, she charges people a fee to stand in circle with her, even at events where she's not leading the rite (again, a huge contravention of general Wiccan principles).

In short, she's bad news from start to finish. (Oh, and her rituals are badly put together as well. That's, what, six strikes? smile.gif)

Edited by prairiecrow

(Of course not all witches are Wiccans, and non-Wiccan witches are free to do as they please within the bounds of whatever other religion they may follow if that religion imposes conditions on their practice of witchcraft.)

that's what I was talking about when I said in my first post if they take fees, some of those crystals can get mighty expensive as well as other ingredients. Considering their doing YOU a favor it only seems fair that if it costs them (some things you can only use once even if it physically looks "normal" ) you should atleast forward something to pay for replacing their supplies if they ask you too.

Some aren't as good at cleansing a crystal or stone after use as others are, sometimes it's better to let the stone rest and get another one, assuming it's place of origin isn't from the trail of tears. In which case, on most cases put the rock back where you got it.

My Great Grandparents live in Nebraska near a reservation, I was walking in their yard over spring break picking up stones to see if any felt "right" when I held them, one gave me a shock and hurt like a wasp sting, I dropped it that did NOT want to go anywhere, another and the one I kept felt warm and didn't cause any pain to hold it.

I kept that one as a reminder of my great grandparents, I also have a rock from my paternal side of the family's great grandmother's yard I got when I was three.

I feel like part of this is just so people who don't understand Wicca and other religions like it can get what is being said, I believe in my first one I also mentioned Voodoo , they have priestesses as well, and honestly those I"m a little fearful of because of how strong they can be. NOT someone I want to accidentally step on toes with. (I think it's Marie Laveau , the mother not the daughter most people are familiar with when it comes to voodoo)

satyr76

go to deviant art and type wicca in the search bar, sometimes the people who make stamps like that or other things have blogs where you can read about their experiences as followers of it from a insider look. First hand accounts are pretty credible.

Edited by Sorrowgrave

She's a bigot (her attitudes toward Christianity in particular are truly disgusting) and a liar (she was caught faking her Wiccan lineage, which is a really big deal in our community). Plus she peddles bad history and dumbs things down to the point of insensibility. Plus, she charges people a fee to stand in circle with her, even at events where she's not leading the rite (again, a huge contravention of general Wiccan principles).

In short, she's bad news from start to finish. (Oh, and her rituals are badly put together as well. That's, what, six strikes? smile.gif)

That's interesting, I didn't know that. Good thing I don't have her book anymore. x)

I used to be really interested in Wicca back in middle school with all my friends. We banded together and called ourselves a coven, haha. It was cute. Nowadays my close friends and I sometimes get together late at night and go meditate under the moon and stars with our candles. It's very peaceful and relaxing and I always feel a bit...I dunno how to really put this, but, "uplifted", I guess.

I don't recall much about Wicca though since I didn't have many resources when I tried practicing it. Now I just like to meditate with my different crystals; I keep them in a necklace spring that holds them close to my heart, and I change out the different crystals depending on what kind of energy I feel I need that day. I'm also really bonded to the stone Blue Apatite, and my friend is the same way with Tiger's eye.

She's asking about something that has been beaten to death in the news a few weeks ago, not something that was in this thread.

A search engine might be a better place to find facts about it, in any case.

Oh... because I heard it was something to do with religion...

Pretty much, the founder (or CEO? Don't remember) of Chik-Fil-A announced that he upholds "traditional"- (and by traditional, I'll assume he's talking about what people refer to as traditional nowadays) marriage between one man and one woman. Also a few years ago it was revealed that Chik-Fil-A donated a good portion of their profits to anti-gay organizations, a good majority of which are hate groups (if not all).

Some people are crying "freedom of speech and religion" because other people are getting riled up that the company has taken a stance against gay marriage. A couple majors in different towns are also preventing Chik-Fil-A from creating an outlet in those towns.

Personally, I'm just not giving them my business. I don't care that the founder/ceo/whatever has his personal values. Those are his values. I just don't think businesses should be getting involved like that, it's a bit inappropriate for the business industry. I feel it's a little backwards to be upholding the restriction of American rights like that, but hey, he can believe and feel all he wants.

Some people are crying "freedom of speech and religion" because other people are getting riled up that the company has taken a stance against gay marriage.

And these people are, of course, continually ignoring the fact that they do spend company funds on groups that actively work to oppress the homosexual population in America. THAT is the big reason many people are upset (not all, since some don't understand that are are just mad about the stance, and some are just bandwagon haters...) But most people I've talked to are upset about the funding, not the religious beliefs.

And these people are, of course, continually ignoring the fact that they do spend company funds on groups that actively work to oppress the homosexual population in America. THAT is the big reason many people are upset (not all, since some don't understand that are are just mad about the stance, and some are just bandwagon haters...) But most people I've talked to are upset about the funding, not the religious beliefs.

Exactly. I haven't seen anyone get up in arms about "we gotta silence this guy because he's a Christian blah blah blah" so I get really amused when they cry "freedom of speech". They can speak all they want, doesn't mean we have to listen to it. Or like it. Or follow it. We're upset because of the funding of the company, not that the guy has different beliefs than our own.

I would have been just happy if he said HE held those personal values but not the company.

Exactly. I haven't seen anyone get up in arms about "we gotta silence this guy because he's a Christian blah blah blah" so I get really amused when they cry "freedom of speech". They can speak all they want, doesn't mean we have to listen to it. Or like it. Or follow it. We're upset because of the funding of the company, not that the guy has different beliefs than our own.

I would have been just happy if he said HE held those personal values but not the company.

This, this so much. I mean, I wouldn't even be so upset if the had a passive stance (wouldn't like it, but wouldn't detest them for it). But funding like that is taking an active stance to harm a portion of the population based on religious belief. And that's what's so wrong with this whole thing.

Some people are crying "freedom of speech and religion" because other people are getting riled up that the company has taken a stance against gay marriage.

They are speaking up about freedom of speech issues because at least one mayor, of Boston, straight out said he would abuse his power in order to prevent any Chick-Fil-As from setting up shop in his town.

When government starts trying to punish a company for the speech of its CEO, yes, that is a free speech issue.