Obscure_Trash

Religion

In my experience Christians get sort of mad if you ask that question because God just "is" and always "was."

Get sort of mad?

teslakana, if God created the fourth dimension, time (which is part of the universe), why would God need a beginning?

Edited by Princess Artemis

Given my experience, health care professionals and receptionists chew gum in hospitals. But then, I live in New Vegas, so my experience doesn't count in the face of yours tongue.gif I mean, clearly, how could it? I don't have a medical degree.

I'd have to ask my moms what the policy in their hospitals are, but I know that when I worked at a restaurant, that chewing gum was prohibited because of safety and health reasons. I would think hospitals would have similar regulations.

Get sort of mad?

teslakana, if God created the fourth dimension, time (which is part of the universe), why would God need a beginning?

Just my experience. I don't totally know why they do it, maybe because it makes God seem less all-powerful if something ELSE created God.

I'd have to ask my moms what the policy in their hospitals are, but I know that when I worked at a restaurant, that chewing gum was prohibited because of safety and health reasons. I would think hospitals would have similar regulations.

I suppose it depends on where one is. I have stories I could tell, but this isn't really the place for them. Suffice it to say, most of my encounters with gum chewing doctors and nurses, while being in their professional setting, haven't been in places where they would be in danger of dropping the gum in an open wound or something like that.

Just my experience. I don't totally know why they do it, maybe because it makes God seem less all-powerful if something ELSE created God.

Maybe? Maybe they are not very firm in their faith. Maybe it annoys some of them because they hear it a lot from people who expect it to tear down the foundations of their entire religion? Maybe they hadn't thought of it and aren't in the mood, though I can't imagine many who would be like that and are over the age of 12.

It just seems like one of those things along the lines of, "Can God make a rock so big He can't move it? Well, can he?!" Either the answer is really, really long (which the askee likely wasn't looking for) or doesn't really have one, which the askee holds up to be "proof" that God isn't omnipotent.

Nah, dude, "I don't know" would be admitting that you do not, in fact, know the answer.  Which you did not and are still flouting the fact that you do not.  It's a very good attitude for scientists to have, to know when they don't know the answer.

Or you could have said, "That's not allowed in UK hospitals" and that would actually be information, but then we wouldn't be expected to fall intimidated by you, then, would we?  We would actually have an authority beside yourself to look to.  I note you do frequently expect people to look to you as the authority rather than laying out information and letting them decide.

Given my experience, health care professionals and receptionists chew gum in hospitals.  But then, I live in New Vegas, so my experience doesn't count in the face of yours tongue.gif I mean, clearly, how could it?  I don't have a medical degree.

*shrug* Okay then. If it's alright with you though, I'll continue to talk about what I know, and you can conjecture on own experience. But since you don't have a degree and don't work in a hospital, and the several hundred of my coworkers, friends, lecturers and teachers all do hold degrees and have spent their lives working in those environments, I will continue to take their word over yours.

Oh, and of course there's the thing of me actually being an Infection Prevention and Control Trainer, which means it's my job to teach people things like 'don't chew gum.' But hey, what would I know? :~)

Edited by Kestra15

Don't worry, most people are intimidated and in awe of my intellect; you may be too.

Human insecurities work in mysterious ways...

*shrug* Okay then. If it's alright with you though, I'll continue to talk about what I know, and you can conjecture on own experience. But since you don't have a degree and don't work in a hospital, and the several hundred of my coworkers, friends, lecturers and teachers all do hold degrees and have spent their lives working in those environments, I will continue to take their word over yours.

Oh, and of course there's the thing of me actually being an Infection Prevention and Control Trainer, which means it's my job to teach people things like 'don't chew gum.' But hey, what would I know? :~)

I'll just chalk up to my imagination those doctors and nurses I've seen chewing gum in hospitals and offices then. I just imagined my dystonic reaction to the sound! The Great And Powerful Kestra Has Spoken and erased them all from existence and every reality! *poof* There they go. Thanks, man, you're so helpful : )

My mom worked at a hospital for several years and I often had to run up there to bring her stuff she forgot. Usually, someone was chewing gum - if not my mom (who was a receptionist), then one of the nurses or doctors. Often more than one. My mom was usually among them. And most chewed with their mouths open and cracked it obnoxiously. I'm glad I never got hospitalized there (I also have misophonia).

I have no idea if there's a rule about gum chewing in hospitals in the US. If there isn't, there SHOULD be, and if there is, then it should be ENFORCED. Obviously I'm highly biased about the sound, but I'm sure all that snapping and popping is spreading microscopic drops of spit and microbes everywhere. Just...urgh.

I'll just chalk up to my imagination those doctors and nurses I've seen chewing gum in hospitals and offices then. I just imagined my dystonic reaction to the sound! The Great And Powerful Kestra Has Spoken and erased them all from existence and every reality! *poof* There they go. Thanks, man, you're so helpful : )

...or, to quote yourself, that was in an American hospital. I'm talking about English hospitals. It's okay though; I understand my brilliance can dazzle.

Depends who you ask.  I've seen people insist babies go to Hell if they don't accept Jesus as their savior.

How is a baby going to do that ??? blink.gif

Princess, I have to hope we never meet. I have an ear condition which is hugely HELPED by chewing gum... Oh dear sad.gif

But I used to work in the Health Service in the UK - and as far as I recall, no-one in a clinical setting was allowed to chew gum. Receptionists - I don't know; I was in an office setting, and it didn't seem to be a problem; no-one ever mentioned it to me (not that I chew constantly, but on a bad-ear day, I might have to..) I don't quite know how this came into religion, though...

Edited by fuzzbucket

Warning for Language, George Carlin's Religion is censorkip.gifcensorkip.gif http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o</b>

'nuff said  dry.gif

For those of you who don't want to click through, it's a link to the "Religion is bull****" routine by George Carlin -- which is brilliant, but does not apply very well to religions other than most forms of Christianity.

C'mon, folks... Christianity might be really popular, but to claim that all religions are identical to it is just plain disingenuous.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

The WBC are going to attempt to protest a soldier's funeral in my hometown this saturday. There's going to be a counter-protest though, and I'm definitely going. We're going to form a human wall to block them from the funeral. >:D

The WBC are going to attempt to protest a soldier's funeral in my hometown this saturday. There's going to be a counter-protest though, and I'm definitely going. We're going to form a human wall to block them from the funeral. >:D

I wish you the best of luck with that wall and hope you succeed.

Don't forget to teach them about how bad it is to forget pancake mix. :'D

Good luck!

Princess, I have to hope we never meet. I have an ear condition which is hugely HELPED by chewing gum... Oh dear  sad.gif

That makes me sad. I don't know if I could put up with the sound in order to meet you : ( I would try, I think, because I like you so much. (The topic came into the religion thread more or less because I said I have more trouble getting doctors and nurses to stop chewing gum than I do getting them to respect my taste in music, and Kestra the All-Knowing answered my question about knowing how many doctors chew gum by saying "None of them because I've never seen one do it : D"...and we've been poking each other from there. I should really stop doing that.)

I have heard it said that the most effective way to counter-protest them and respect the funeral is to find out what hotel they are staying at and double park behind their cars so they can't ever get to the funeral.

How is a baby going to do that ???  blink.gif

And that was exactly why I couldn't take them seriously.

Isn't there supposed to be, like, you can't go to Hell for not excepting Jesus until you're capable of grasping the concept? (From what I vaguely remember from discussing the subject with my parents years back)

Though, I've seen some nasty stories, and I just hope they're not true. (Like the mother who prayed with her mentally disabled daughter that Jesus could help "make her more human" so she could accept Jesus. I really, really, REALLY hope somebody was just making that up.)

But those people seriously said to me that babies go to Hell because they haven't accepted Jesus. sleep.gif' They were very... Militant about pushing their beliefs on others. They went around cornering students at the community college I was attending at the time and preaching to them. They were really going at it with this Mormon kid, he wasn't having any of their BS (not saying that preaching is BS--just the rather verbally abusive way they were doing it was). I got off easy by saying I did believe (at the time I did still identify as Roman Catholic) and having a vague knowledge of the Bible questions they asked me to prove I wasn't lying (seriously, they were going around grilling other people who identified as Christian, and not in a polite way--it was like a freakin' interrogation).

They just were like "IF YOU DON'T ACCEPT JESUS YOU GO TO HELL. NO EXCEPTIONS. NOT EVEN FOR BABIES OR PEOPLE WHO DIED BEFORE EVEN KNOWING THAT CHRISTIANITY EXISTED. THEY STILL SHOULD HAVE ACCEPTED JESUS EVEN THOUGH THEY'D NEVER HEARD OF HIM BECAUSE IT WAS TOTALLY THEIR FAULT FOR BEING BORN IN A PLACE WHERE THE "GOOD NEWS" HADN'T REACHED YET. OR FOR BEING BORN BEFORE JESUS CAME. THEY SHOULD HAVE ACCEPTED HIM TOO."

And I was just all kinds of confused on how somebody could accept Jesus if they've never heard of God or Jesus, or if they were born before Jesus was. o_O Or if they're not mentally capable of grasping the concept of God and Jesus and sin (like babies!)

Edited by KageSora

My cats all used to believe in Ceiling Cat. Will they be OK ?

I have heard it said that the most effective way to counter-protest them and respect the funeral is to find out what hotel they are staying at and double park behind their cars so they can't ever get to the funeral.

That's a genius idea xd.png I'll ask around if anyone knows where they're staying.

(Like the mother who prayed with her mentally disabled daughter that Jesus could help "make her more human" so she could accept Jesus.  I really, really, REALLY hope somebody was just making that up.)

Remember how I told you there were extremist Christians in my area? Yeah, they do that. They also say that a preacher has "healing hands" or whatever and apparently stopped a cancer patient from getting effective treatment. Many horror stories abound(such as "starvation rooms to cleanse oneself"). I do think that a factor could be that, unlike in the U.S which has a lot of more moderate sects, we don't have many moderate sects and many militant ones (like Sun Myung Moon's unification church) as the first people to ever preach Christianity had to be die-hard committed to coming here, and were probably more extremist in their beliefs.

But seriously, some of the things that people did disgusts me. Like publicly going to Afghanistan and preaching Christianity, making the kids sing Christian songs, etc. Then they got kidnapped and our government had to ransom them. rolleyes.gif And they're still trying to do it.

Good thing though, not many people do believe in those extreme sects; my friend, for example, goes to a more "conservative" church, but they're not really extreme per se, just a bit restrictive.

Edited by ylangylang

My cats all used to believe in Ceiling Cat. Will they be OK ?

Fuzz, I love you.

My cat believes in the Basement cat. He won't quit staring at the door.

My cat believes in the Basement cat. He won't quit staring at the door.

Perhaps I am the personification of Basement Cat - I have dark hair, I lived in the basement, everyone feared me when I came up...

In fairness, the fear arose from my bad breath and BO.

Just got back from the protest, and guess who didn't bother to show their faces?

On the plus side, it was nice to see so many people supporting the family. They were lined up all up and down the streets; there had to have been at least a couple hundred there.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Just got back from the protest, and guess who didn't bother to show their faces?

On the plus side, it was nice to see so many people supporting the family. They were lined up all up and down the streets; there had to have been at least a couple hundred there.

That's great, St. Jimmy. :3

@Kestra; Quit with the ego, please. We kinda get it. |D;