Obscure_Trash

Religion

i don't know about you people getting into philosophy and whatnot, but i'm a nihilist pastafarian.

~Removed~

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Members of the Baha'i faith. It was founded in the 19th century IIRC, in Persia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahá'%C3%AD_Faith

From my encounters with local Baha'i I'd say it's a peaceful and philosophical religion which emphasizes tolerance.

Yes, yes it is biggrin.gif

For better reference there's the website which is more informative and safer than Wikipedia. Members of the Baha'i faith are not allowed to see pictures of the prophet Baha'u'llah without going to Haifa in Israel, and if one goes on Wikipedia, there is a chance that one will see that picture. Not that it matters to most of you tongue.gif But Bahai.org is a better source of info.

Older members and regulars: I do believe you have witnessed my transformation from Christanity to my current faith, Theravada Buddhism.

I am a Mormon, and the play quite offends me.

I wonder if anybody knows what Mormon is…

Which play?

And given what a large denomination of Christianity Mormonism is, I'd say most people likely know what Mormons are. Mitt Romney, anyone?

Im pretty sure its the Book of Mormon. (I live in NYC tongue.gif)

Funny thing. Every time i open my door to religious people; like Jehovah's Witnesses, i pretty much slam the door on them biggrin.gif

I am a Mormon, and the play quite offends me.

I wonder if anybody knows what Mormon is…

I have a couple friends who are Mormon, and I'm reading the Book of Mormon right now. I'm in the middle of Alma. Also, I plan to read the Doctrines and Covenants when I'm done, because I think they'll be quite different.

Do you mean The Book of Mormon? I thought it was funny, but obviously I wouldn't be sensitive to it because I'm not a Mormon. But it's just humor after all. Most religions get made fun of at some point or another.

My dad was Mormon growing up, but he converted to Christianity. Yes, I will say it that way because of his experiences and also my aunt's who was excommunicated from LDS for the same. Since my dad was not excommunicated, everywhere he has lived for the last 30+ years (I'm sure more, as he converted a long time ago), he has had Mormons stalking him. No matter where he moves, they find him and make sure he knows they know where he is. He has asked to be excommunicated so they'll stop pestering him (or something to that nature), but unlike my aunt who just had to convert, apparently they don't let men leave as easily and they keep telling him the only way to get the LDS to stop following him where ever he goes is to request it from a local bishop. As he does not believe he should have to do anything like that considering he does not believe the Mormon bishops have any authority over him and subjecting himself to their authority would be against his religion, he refuses to do it, so there it is, he gets followed and Mormons waste their time tracking him down.

Anyhow, I know quite a bit about Mormonism from him and his side of the family, many of whom are still Mormon. I've got no issue with Mormons individually but taken as a large, absurdly rich conglomeration...well, I wish they'd respect my dad's wishes, though I understand why they won't--they believe they have spiritual authority over him when they do not.

Older members and regulars: I do believe you have witnessed my transformation from Christanity to my current faith, Theravada Buddhism.

Hey man congratulations. Buffhism is a really demanding way of life if you want to go all the way, so good luck.

Hey man congratulations. Buffhism is a really demanding way of life if you want to go all the way, so good luck.

Thanks, Kai.

Kansas GOP House Speaker ‘Prays’ That Obama’s ‘Children Be Fatherless And His Wife A Widow’.

A Christian leader praying for the death of the President of the USA. Discuss? (Personally I think that imprecatory prayer is utterly disgusting, no matter what religion you're a member of.)

From the article:

Nick Sementelli at Faith in Public Life notes that Psalm 109, which is a prayer for the death of a leader, became a popular conservative meme after Obama’s election. The “tongue-in-cheek” prayer for the president was seen on bumper stickers. The relevant part of the psalm reads:

Let his days be few; and let another take his office

May his children be fatherless and his wife a widow.

May his children be wandering beggars; may they be driven from their ruined homes.

May a creditor seize all he has; may strangers plunder the fruits of his labor.

May no one extend kindness to him or take pity on his fatherless children.

O’Neal forwarded the prayer with his own message: “At last — I can honestly voice a Biblical prayer for our president! Look it up — it is word for word! Let us all bow our heads and pray. Brothers and Sisters, can I get an AMEN? AMEN!!!!!!”

Kansas GOP House Speaker ‘Prays’ That Obama’s ‘Children Be Fatherless And His Wife A Widow’.

A Christian leader praying for the death of the President of the USA. Discuss? (Personally I think that imprecatory prayer is utterly disgusting, no matter what religion you're a member of.)

From the article:

Ugh. Something that has to be understood about the Psalms (and scripture in general) is that just because something happened doesn't mean it OUGHT to have happened. The psalms as David's honest open heart to hearts with God, filled with unchecked emotion. It's a very human thing. But just because David poured out his heart to God like that does NOT mean we should be praying the same thing about ANY person, especially our president. Context people, context...

So yes, it definitely ISN'T a good thing to be praying. The most oft quoted part of that passage is "let another take his office" because that's what they're really hoping. The rest of it is usually left off.

That is one nasty prayer and just because its scripture doesnt mean its acceptabled to direct it at someone else.

Edited by Kai

That is one nasty prayer and just because its scripture doesnt mean its acceptabled to direct it at someone else.

Yup.

Whoa dude... we just agreed on something. High five!

Eh, old news. Some really hate Obama.

Weird Fox news audience at recent SC Debate booing the Golden Rule

Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YOh-rpvjYg

xd.png

As far as I'm aware, there's no scientific evidence of anything supernatural (God, ghosts, psychics, etc.). So, I don't believe in any religion.

I believe that there is a god, supreme being, ascended being whatever have you. The worship of him being optional. I view him as a caretaker of sorts, like the curator of a museum. I believe he is there to make sure things stay in balance, because there is a precious balance to the universe*. He is there to make sure everything goes as smoothly as they can possibly go.

*I don't care who you are, but if you can remember the last 10 minutes of your life, you cannot tell me that there isn't at least some sort of force guiding the universe. Whether it be a fully conscious being capable of bending reality to its will, or just an accidental effect that has shaped the universe to the way we perceive it.

I believe that there is a god, supreme being, ascended being whatever have you. The worship of him being optional. I view him as a caretaker of sorts, like the curator of a museum. I believe he is there to make sure things stay in balance, because there is a precious balance to the universe*. He is there to make sure everything goes as smoothly as they can possibly go.

*I don't care who you are, but if you can remember the last 10 minutes of your life, you cannot tell me that there isn't at least some sort of force guiding the universe. Whether it be a fully conscious being capable of bending reality to its will, or just an accidental effect that has shaped the universe to the way we perceive it.

I'm curious... why do you see Him as necessarily male?

I'm curious... why do you see Him as necessarily male?

They might have just been using 'him' as a placeholder. If you can't say what exactly God is, then how can you give him a gender?

We refer to humans as 'he', or as 'men/man', even though human beings definitely are not all male.

They might have just been using 'him' as a placeholder. If you can't say what exactly God is, then how can you give him a gender?

We refer to humans as 'he', or as 'men/man', even though human beings definitely are not all male.

But assuming that's the case, doing so enforces a not-so-covert sexism: the Creator/Divine Ruler of the universe is of course male, because"male" is the default/superior/obvious position for a being in authority.

I would challenge that on the strongest possible terms, but then again I come from a religious tradition where the Divine is honored in male/female complementary polarity, and the Goddess is conceived as the eternal/ultimate principle. Without the God, She is barren, but the God represents all transitory life rather than the grounding force that everything else springs from.

Edited by prairiecrow

the Creator/Divine Ruler of the universe is of course male, because"male" is the default/superior/obvious position for a being in authority.

Conventionally, however, referring to someone whose gender is unknown as he is acceptable. I personally prefer to use singular they when referring to a person of unknown gender. I wasn't saying that God is male, in fact I would argue that if there is a God then it is genderless.

Conventionally, however, referring to someone whose gender is unknown as he is acceptable. I personally prefer to use singular they when referring to a person of unknown gender. I wasn't saying that God is male, in fact I would argue that if there is a God then it is genderless.

But if God made people to look like him, would he have a gender because people have genders?

But if God made people to look like him, would he have a gender because people have genders?

Look like =/= exactly. God could be an androgynous person.

God would have to have two genders then.