Skypool

Sexism

The people supporting that are basically saying doctors should let pregnant women die when in a state of emergency in a hospital.

Only men were allowed to vote on this.

Where did you get that only men were allowed to vote on it? HR 358 was put before the entire House of Representatives to vote on and that includes a fair number of women.

I don't like it, I hope it never passes the senate and that the President won't sign it, but lying about the bill's process will never help your stance.

Edited by diannethegeek

In the UK the mother's life is sacrosanct; the mother is always saved before the baby, unless the mother expressly says otherwise whilst in good mental health.

In the UK the mother's life is sacrosanct; the mother is always saved before the baby, unless the mother expressly says otherwise whilst in good mental health.

I believe this is true in most places, I know it's the same here in the States.

I also don't believe that any doctor in their right mind would let a pregnant woman die on his operating table just because they didn't feel morally right to remove a fetus. Personally, I'd rather have the doctor save me. I could always try for another child, or adopt in a worst-case scenario, but I've only got one life.

I'm against sexism but I must admit that there are things that a gender does best than the other. For example:

Men are better at hard labor than women. Cus men are stronger and can lift more wight.

But women are better than men at doing different stuff at the same time, organizing things,

Better teachers, better doctors, etc.

But they can do things the same: being in charge of a company, politics, etc.

I'm against sexism but I must admit that there are things that a gender does best than the other. For example:

Men are better at hard labor than women. Cus men are stronger and can lift more wight.

But women are better than men at doing different stuff at the same time, organizing things,

Amerylis admits I'm a better teacher than her, and it's partially due to my better organisation.

One of my least favorite sexist jokes involves the theory that women with big breasts are stupid. An uncle on my mom's side made this joke once (while drunk I realize now), I was so mad I held a grudge against him for years. I'm a female with big breasts, and I'm not stupid because of my cup size.

But now that I've gotten that off my chest (hurr durr), I agree that genders are biologically made to do certain things better than the other, but these things are usually physical and there are cases (though rare) where this hasn't mattered at all.

One of my least favorite sexist jokes involves the theory that women with big breasts are stupid. An uncle on my mom's side made this joke once (while drunk I realize now), I was so mad I held a grudge against him for years. I'm a female with big breasts, and I'm not stupid because of my cup size.

But now that I've gotten that off my chest (hurr durr), I agree that genders are biologically made to do certain things better than the other, but these things are usually physical and there are cases (though rare) where this hasn't mattered at all.

LOL... brilliant !!!!!!

I think this is really based more on individuals than gender. Both me and my best girl friend can outwork all the men in our lives laborwise. We're used to it while they're all kind of lazy computer nerds who can't focus on one thing for that long. x3

Scientifically men are better at somethings than women and vice versa

BUT this is on a mass scale. if you look at indaviduals you will find women who are better than men at male jobs depending on so many different factors.

i can be a stereotypical girl. i cry a lot and get upset easy, i am not strong and i am petite apparently pretty, cute, beautiful (i argue these points to death) i love animals, and have been obsessed with horses from a young age. so far i fit the general sexist stereotype for my age (18)

now to break the mold

I LOVE bugs, dirt getting messy and smelly. my fingernails are broken splintered and in ill repair from work. i love animals, yeah normal, but would you find most stereotype girls cleaning maggots of a sick lambs backside?? i think not. my hair does whatever it wants to so long as it stays out of my way when working. i listen to hard rock to heavy metal to symphonic rock. NO modern pop stuff. i almost never wear makeup of any description. no mineral powder foundation or anything. in some cases i am willing to work harder and get more dirty than the guys

example, Farming class, training cattle for the show. one decided it needed to take a dump. the boys ran crying out how gross it was. i was splashed by the stuff, i look at the spots on my leg... "Thanks Alice, I really needed that" laugh and keep working

stereotypes are generalizations. inaccurate evaluation of the masses. people take them and apply them on small scale which then becomes sexism. My boss is sexist. he refuses to let me off service counter because i'm female and not strong enough to do work around the store. funny all the women there hate him, wonder why

I've been the victim of sexist bullying, and I have a huge problem with sexism. I don't mind the fireman, policeman things, but I can't stand when people say, "Girls can't do (blah blah blah)!"

Where did you get that only men were allowed to vote on it? HR 358 was put before the entire House of Representatives to vote on and that includes a fair number of women.

I don't like it, I hope it never passes the senate and that the President won't sign it, but lying about the bill's process will never help your stance.

Fifteen Democrats voted for what women's groups are calling the "Let Women Die" Act.  These include anti-choice Congressmen Jason Altmire (PA), Sanford Bishop (GA), Dan Boren (OK), Jerry Costello (IL), Mark Critz (PA), Henry Cuellar (TX), Joe Donnelly (IN), Tim Holden (PA), Dan Lipinski (IL), Jim Matheson (UT), Mike McIntyre (NC), Nick Rahall (WVA), Mike Ross (AR), Collin Petersen (MN), and Heath Shuler (D-NC).

That's it. I am NEVER going to America. NEVER, EVER, EVER. dry.gif

I believe- or rather I'm hoping- that Britian would never pass a law like that...

Edited by Ruins

Only men voted for it, it wasn't only men who voted on it.

Well then I read it wrong because of a summary on another forum, but don't assume I'm "trying to help my side" by lying, please. Honestly? I don't care about this much, I don't think it would pass anyway.

That's it. I am NEVER going to America. NEVER, EVER, EVER. 

I believe- or rather I'm hoping- that Britian would never pass a law like that...

I doubt it's going to pass in the USA.

Edited by TheDarkCynder

Why Do Girls Have To Buy Pink Toys & Princesses

Riley has an important message for all the toy makers and marketers out there: stop trying to force pink stuff on girls. They like other colors, too. And while you're at it, some girls like superheroes just as much, if not more, than princesses.

If you were looking to add some inspiration to your Christmas Eve, watch this little girl's impassioned speech against gender stereotypes in toy manufacturing. We only wish we had been this articulate and impassioned when we were her age.

Not sure how youtube works here, this is the link to her rant, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OrMT8Wv9mI

Lots of news sites are picking this up,

Pint-size philosopher: The articulate Riley, thought to be around five years old, says that toy-makers should stop trying to force girls to buy pink stuff and princess toys

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-20...ereotyping.html

I often ask for guy toys because I hate the pink they try to sell girls. It is ridiculous the things they try to sell. Especially the Bratz, dear god, don't get me started on the Bratz.

~Merged~

"That's a good question, Riley."

Indeed.

Reminds me of a commercial I recently saw in which a boy was playing with girl and boy toys. I got super excited. If I can think of what the commercial was for and find it, I'll post it.

Oooh, I'd love to see that commercial, too.

This reminds me of the huge stink a little while ago over a J. Crew ad, which showed one of their top designers painting her little boy's toenails neon pink. Apparently, he loves pink, and having his nails painted, and she wanted to show a cute "behind the scenes at home" moment in the ad -- and instead, it started a HUGE storm of protest from Fox News and right-wing groups, all claiming that she's going to warp his fragile young mind and do irreparable damage to his psyche.

What. Just what.

I was going to post a link, but actually, if you do a search for "pink nail polish ad," you'll get dozens of articles as your first results. I can't believe it's still the top search result for those words. Wow.

Also, my favorite color is and always has been blue. It drove me nuts when I was little that there were so few blue-themed girl toys.

both sexs are equal thou i wish women would stop using the i gave birth to the baby thing

Oooh, I'd love to see that commercial, too.

This reminds me of the huge stink a little while ago over a J. Crew ad, which showed one of their top designers painting her little boy's toenails neon pink. Apparently, he loves pink, and having his nails painted, and she wanted to show a cute "behind the scenes at home" moment in the ad

I still can't find the commercial. Dx

Awww, that's adorable. <3

both sexs are equal thou i wish women would stop using the i gave birth to the baby thing

Using it how? What? o_O

DON'T TAKE AWAY THE PRIVILEGE. smile.gif

DON'T TAKE AWAY THE PRIVILEGE. smile.gif

What does that mean? Bearing children is not a privilege women have been granted by society simply by virtue of being women.

.............Am I the only one who understands what linkx7 said?

Edited by cmw2625

When you talk about privilege in a thread about sexism, be prepared for it to be taken the way it means in the realm of sexism and to be questioned on how it was used and what you mean by it, perhaps as an examination on what that particular statement meant.

I understood what linkx7 said; I wish (some) men would stop saying "I'm the man," as if (in most cases) possession of a penis is a super power.

Just because I understood doesn't mean I don't still want an explanation for what linkx7 said, nor does it mean I'm still not curious what you mean by what you said.

Edited by Princess Artemis