Skypool

Sexism

Feminism is the advocacy for gender equality. It has everything to do with sexism.

I don't really get it, lol. I get that it's equal rights to women, but I don't see how that correlates whether you treat a woman like a human being or not. I must be blind.

I don't really get it, lol. I get that it's equal rights to women, but I don't see how that correlates whether you treat a woman like a human being or not. I must be blind.

We wouldn't need to be feminists if there weren't inherently sexist things already in place.

Sexism is not gender equality. Therefore, it's one thing feminism tries to stop or educate about. Many anti-gender equality things are done out of sexism (or misogyny). Feminism is a ton about sexism. The two are absolutely linked.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

blink.gif You know I'm not sure why you all accepted my comment, and seem to have got so uptight about Kestra when we were basically saying the same thing. We're not excusing it, it's still creepy, but both of us are saying that it may not be 'simple' sexism.

I don't quite get how saying we think it might not be the greatest example, as there may be more going on, equates to approving of their actions or somehow thinking a medical issue excuses them?

blink.gif  You know I'm not sure why you all accepted my comment, and seem to have got so uptight about Kestra when we were basically saying the same thing. We're not excusing it, it's still creepy, but both of us are saying that it may not be 'simple' sexism.

I don't quite get how saying we think it might not be the greatest example, as there may be more going on, equates to approving of their actions or somehow thinking a medical issue excuses them?

Your comments seemed completely different to me blink.gif . You said that the vast majority of men would find that creepy. Kestra said, "Ah yes, all men are creepy." but no one on this forum or in that link made any kind of statement about all men or even implied something like that.

And for the guys who do drive by stuff, I don't think they have severe mental problems, or they wouldn't be capable of driving. I've actually seen a video of a guy masturbating in public and then walking over to a woman who was reading and ejaculating on her while his friends video taped it as a joke. I'm pretty sure it's even been made into a gif now, obviously because so many other people have somehow found it humorous.

I also recall another gif where a woman was wearing a skirt and was walking across the street and a man ran up to her, put his hand up her skirt, yanked down her underwear, and ran away.

Edited by Syaoransbear

blink.gif You know I'm not sure why you all accepted my comment, and seem to have got so uptight about Kestra when we were basically saying the same thing. We're not excusing it, it's still creepy, but both of us are saying that it may not be 'simple' sexism.

*looks back after too much Diablo 3* You didn't go straight for sarcasm and then talk down to the assembled posters. That's why your response was far better received. It was said with respect.

I hate it when people who actually know your personality will still be sexist towards you. We were at some BBQ last night for my brother's girlfriend that graduated and for a present someone got her a barbie book because she collects barbies. My mom kept showing me every page of the barbie book despite the fact that it's well known that I am not a girlie girl and I'm not interested in barbies at all. I didn't even play with them as a kid. Frankly, I detest them. And then later she asked if I wanted to see my brother's girlfriend's barbie collection. I just wanted to be like, "You KNOW I'm not interested in that you are only asking me because I'm a girl". It's not like she asked my brother or my fiance if they wanted to go look at a bunch of freaky barbie dolls.

This happens so many times to me and it's frustrating. My dad knows I love fishing, my tackle box is even bigger than his, but he's never asked if I wanted to go up north fishing with him. He only invites my brothers or even my fiance. It's frustrating when you are excluded from the things you love doing and only invited to the things you hate doing because of your gender. It's even more frustrating when the people who do it are the people who know you and should know better. It's like they think being sexist is easier than having to think about your personality and whether or not you would enjoy something like that.

So, saw somebody elsewhere saying something to the effect of

"It's impossible for men to experience sexism, because men are in a position of power and those in a position of power cannot be discriminated against."

So, saw somebody elsewhere saying something to the effect of

"It's impossible for men to experience sexism, because men are in a position of power and those in a position of power cannot be discriminated against."

Sounds like one of those stupid "check your privilege" things... who's to say someone's privileged or not?

Sounds like one of those stupid "check your privilege" things... who's to say someone's privileged or not?

Their definition of "sexism" is something along the lines of "institutional discrimination based on sex" and since "men are in power" they can't be "institutionally oppressed" and thus cannot be victims of sexism.

Said something that translates to "a man hating a woman = sexism but a woman hating a man =/= sexism".

>_>

Oh jeez, that's just disgusting, KageSora. While I'll be the first to say that I don't believe men have it as hard as women when it comes to their gender on average, I would be an idiot to say that men don't experience any sort of sexism at all. =|

Also, I'm sorry to hear that, Syaoransbear. I can imagine that must be very frustrating. D=

There are some people who define a good few -isms to be something which requires power in addition. If they go a step further and say that men cannot experience sexism because men are the sex in power in our society, they have forgotten a key fact: not all men are in power. It is racism when a white person is subject to all manner of racial ugliness because of the color of their skin. It is sexism when a man is subject to all manner of sex related ugliness because he has a penis.

That said, the idea of privilege isn't useless. It's worth understanding before deciding not all of it works. Just as a racial privilege example, as a white person, I have the privilege of never having to worry about random people thinking they can touch my hair, and I have the privilege of not having to worry about those very same people getting angry at me if I tell them to keep their hands to themselves. If you think that's an absurd example, I suggest doing an internet search--it's pretty amazing how some people feel free to humiliate others by petting them just because their skin is dark.

When I was able-bodied, I had the privilege of never having to worry about doors being built to allow my easy entry. As a person with full vision, I have the privilege of never having to worry about how I'll read the menu at a restaurant. As a person with full hearing, I have the privilege of never worrying about whether or not a movie will be comprehensible to me or not. There are so, so many more things I am privileged to have. Having those privileges isn't a bad thing, but I'd be very ignorant indeed if I thought everyone got the same nice things out of life as I do.

If you're curious about what privileges you might have, that's how it is decided. Put yourself in someone else's shoes, and you'll find that there are all manner of subconscious assumptions people make about what they get in the world. That's pretty much how privilege works, and if someone stomps into a group of people commiserating about how they've had to endure yet more people touching their hair and proclaim loudly that that never happens and they are being too sensitive and they are making things up...then...that person should check their privilege.

The way it does not work, is it's not something that ought to be used to insult someone or belittle them. Just because I'm white and middle class (more or less...I live comfortably is the point) and therefore privileged in those ways doesn't mean I can't have problems or I can't sympathize or I deserve to be brought low so people with darker skin and lower economic class can stomp all over me. It doesn't mean I cannot experience racism. I can. I just have had the phenomenal privilege of not really having ever had to worry about racism in my personal life. This is the case with a good few men--they have had the privilege of not having to worry about sexism in their lives. And that is no small privilege.

So...before rejecting the concept of privilege, look into it a bit. There is something to it, and it's not such a bad thing to grasp to get some perspective on life.

Edited by Princess Artemis

Logic - always funny.

user posted image

Oh, by the way? The baby isn't seven pounds for all nine months. It grows. And I do pretty well with my extra 40lbs so I'm fairly certain I can handle a measly 7lbs. Why bother with curling irons and heels anyway? If the guy doesn't find you attractive unless you've spent two hours prettying yourself up, he's not worth it. If he finds you attractive just as you are, why do you need to spent two hours prettying up? And please, it takes you a whole night to get over crying? I can have a good sob in the lift between floor 3 and floor 4 and still walk into my patient's cubicle as if nothing happened. And why the heck are you helpless while you nail polish dries - just kick their behinds and then redo your nails. It's not that hard.

Edited by Kestra15

Unamusingly, it seems like the majority of the local men expect it as a given that women should strut around in high heels for their eye pleasure, while not succumbing to taking care of their looks themselves. As also noticed by visiting foreign male friends. Just saying. :u

Other than that, I find the "reasons to be proud for having a certain set of genitals" posts in any flavour very annoying in most cases.

Unamusingly, it seems like the majority of the local men expect it as a given that women should strut around in high heels for their eye pleasure, while not succumbing to taking care of their looks themselves. As also noticed by visiting foreign male friends. Just saying. :u

Other than that, I find the "reasons to be proud for having a certain set of genitals" posts in any flavour very annoying in most cases.

The joys of one-upmanship.

I personally have never seen the attraction in high heels *shrug* Especially when Amerylis decides to add another three inches to her already-impressive height.

Well, Latvia has one of the highest female-to-male ratios in Europe, so perhaps part of the issue is that men are often raised as more precious than women (and often by their mothers), i.e., that there is a certain sense of entitlement, even if they lack education (which might give a certain lack of self-esteem which is manifested as pronounced macho-ism, the obsession with looking manly etc.), social skills or general human decency. Here, it's perfectly excusable to blame women for being picky censorkip.gif*es with high standards instead of trying to better yourself.

Although I do think that there is partial blame in marrying those kind of men and thus perpetuating the image, although, if you are desperate and the choice really isn't that big, it's probably not easy.

Edited by lightbird

Here, it's perfectly excusable to blame women for being picky censorkip.gif*es with high standards instead of trying to better yourself.

Ugh, tell me about it, same here, it's gotten to the point where some people (that I know in real life/on the internet) have taken to calling out ugly/fat women and call them "orcs" and tell them not to come out of their houses. Same goes for a stereotype here that ugly women can't get sexually harassed. I wish they'd look on their own reflections in the mirror before they say that. Another thing I personally find funny is that they're now saying is that there's "reverse sexism" and that "men are being marginalized" and give out examples such as men paying for their dates and stuff.

Well, Latvia has one of the highest female-to-male ratios in Europe, so perhaps part of the issue is that men are often raised as more precious than women (and often by their mothers), i.e., that there is a certain sense of entitlement, even if they lack education (which might give a certain lack of self-esteem which is manifested as pronounced macho-ism, the obsession with looking manly etc.), social skills or general human decency. Here, it's perfectly excusable to blame women for being picky censorkip.gif*es with high standards instead of trying to better yourself.

Although I do think that there is partial blame in marrying those kind of men and thus perpetuating the image, although, if you are desperate and the choice really isn't that big, it's probably not easy.

There's a reason I liked the Baltics ;~)

I did notice in Estonia that, in the two week-long visits I made, I never saw a single girl I wouldn't say 'no' to.

There's a reason I liked the Baltics ;~)

I did notice in Estonia that, in the two week-long visits I made, I never saw a single girl I wouldn't say 'no' to.

:'D

Which brings me to another social stigma - Baltic girls are shallow censorkip.gif*es who are only interested in rich foreign dudes.

Which brings me to another social stigma - Baltic girls are shallow censorkip.gif*es who are only interested in rich foreign dudes.

My god, same here!!! It's amazing how two different countries are so like each other. I live in Asia. *hugs lightbird*

It's gotten to the point where I can't even talk with my foreign professor without a few weird looks.

Edited by ylangylang

My god, same here!!! It's amazing how two different countries are so like each other. I live in Asia.

Where are you from?

Well, I come from a relatively poor (for EU standards) Post-Sovietic country, so the local mentality here is pretty... depressing. I hope I can eventually get the heck out of here when I graduate.

Light, I wasn't joking in the 'Pics of Yourself' thread when I said I found you attractive :~P

And while I only know a handful, the ones I do know are actually pretty decent. One of them I'd happily describe as my closest friend.

Light, I wasn't joking in the 'Pics of Yourself' thread when I said I found you attractive :~P

And while I only know a handful, the ones I do know are actually pretty decent. One of them I'd happily describe as my closest friend.

Actually, I also think that, in overall, girls in the whole region (Russia, the Baltics, Poland, CZ) are relatively lovely to look at, even without the whole get up.

I was mainly trying to point out that by local standards... it's like nothing is ever enough.

Actually, I also think that, in overall, girls in the whole region (Russia, the Baltics, Poland, CZ) are relatively lovely to look at, even without the whole get up.

I was mainly trying to point out that by local standards... it's like nothing is ever enough.

Come to the UK, they could walk around in tracksuit bottoms and messy hair and they will have their choice of the local boys.

Not that the local boys are much good :~P But the point stands; come to the UK, and every Baltic girl is considered a goddess without having to worry about the hours of preparation.

What I want to know is whether it's the air or just good genetics :~P