Skypool

Sexism

On one hand, I think it's good that we're becoming more sensitive to actual child molestations. On the other hand, we're becoming way too sensitive to it.

Though, I'm not really getting what's with the guy and this picture. Did he upload it to the internet or something? I dunno, that just seems kinda weird, in a sense. I can understand if you think that your kids are cute, and you have every right to flood the internet/your blog with pictures of them, but why pictures of them while they're bathing? It's not the fact that he was with them that bothers me, but the fact that a picture was apparently taken and spread around. >_> If it was just a picture he kept in his scrapbook/camera or something it wouldn't seem so weird, but...

And, for the record, while people are definitely way more sensitive to men being perverts, there are a good deal of people who are calling "CHILD MOLESTER" when it comes to women, too. For example, I don't exactly remember who, but some sort of newer celebrity (Miley Cyrus? Lindsay Lohan? As if I remember) was the speculation of possible child molestation because she liked to sleep in the same bed as her mother as a child.

Now, I know that because she's a celebrity, people will be all over her and wildly exaggerating everything, but the reason why I brought that up is because I've had the same sort of accusation thrown at me because I have always slept in the same bed with my aunt or my mom with me (along with a crapload of dogs/cats, of course). I've never once been molested in my life, and most definitely not by anyone in my family. 9_6

Nothing in the article says anything the picture being spread around. I've heard of at least one story of someone being reported after they simply went to a store to have the photos printed for personal use.

Ah, ok, that clears a lot up, thanks. I was wondering how the hell people got a hold of the photo in the first place. xd.png

Yeah, that's completely ****ed. =|

Well, I'm not saying that's what happened, either. The article doesn't say anything about it. But I have heard of stories like that -- people are getting far too paranoid. I've also heard stories about teens who get charges brought against them for kidnapping after finding a lost kid -- and trying to help the kid find it's parents. If I found a similar kid I'd do the same, but I'm a woman -- I can be trusted with peoples' children, apparently.

Yeah, but I'm referring to if it was a situation like that. =U

For the record, sometimes a photo with a parent in a bath with two kids means that they're being molested.

Sometimes it means that it's just a parent taking a bath with their kids. rolleyes.gif

I don't have an issue with being wise to such things, but...that takes wisdom, which is, apparently, in short supply.

As I have seen it said, knowledge is understanding that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting tomatoes in the fruit salad. What seems to be happening here is people are putting habañeros in their fruit salads >_<

I read recently that all of 115 children were kidnapped by strangers in one recent year in the US. In a nation of over three-hundred million, that is so extraordinarily rare as to be something not really worth worrying about. The vast majority of sexual predators who prey on children do so to children they know. Not strangers in a sandwich shop. Parents, step-parents, family, that is the highest number, then there are neighbors and people like the karate or dance teacher. Not friendly old gentlemen in a sandwich shop. Does it still happen? Yeah, very rarely, and there could very well have been something about that man, other than his maleness, that gave off weird vibes...but chances are, no, there wasn't. Just based on statistics, the best way to keep children safe from sexual predators is to never let them near their parents and extended family, however this is so absurd as to be impossible.

Bringing full-out misandry to bear, death-glaring and humiliating every man who dares to interact with a child, doesn't make kids safe from predators. Of course, keeping in mind, for people who do that...they do just as often have sons as daughters, so they ought to know, that by doing this, they are creating an environment where in a few short years their sons will bear the brunt of their misandry.

And yeah, taking baths with your young kids...for crying out loud. I don't remember ever doing that with my dad, but I do remember my sister and I used to be allowed to go into the bathroom when he was bathing; he'd just cover himself up with a washcloth. OMG PREDATORY. When we got older, that stopped, but it wasn't any big deal. I used to take baths with my male cousins. No big deal!

Maybe it's just me but I think taking a bath/shower with your parents is totally creepy. Pretty sure it's not done at all around here if the kid is old enough to remember anything. Seeing your parents naked = eyedeath. One time I almost saw my dad naked and I'm still scarred for life.

I'm going to use SCIENCE for an example.

If a scientist had been culturing a certain type of bacteria from a certain area of the world, hoping to find varying strands of that bacteria, but only found one or two strands that were actually turned out to be quiet harmful to other biological organisms, then the scientist would make the deduction that only harmful strains of bacteria exist.

This is what I've done, essentially. Is it the RIGHT thing to do, essentially? No.

Bad example. The scientist would not make such a deduction from such a comparatively-small sample pool, but instead say that thus far all known strains of bacteria are harmful. Very different meaning there. This is because science does not assume such things. Perhaps if we had a statistically-significant sample then we would start to assume such, but even then we would still test each new strain individually to check that it was harmful.

I do remember bathing with my brother, and my sister bathing with my Dad. Never found it weird back then, although I don't know if I'd do the same with my kid.

Edited by Kestra15

Maybe it's just me but I think taking a bath/shower with your parents is totally creepy. Pretty sure it's not done at all around here if the kid is old enough to remember anything. Seeing your parents naked = eyedeath. One time I almost saw my dad naked and I'm still scarred for life.

I would like to point out that, certainly in my case, I have no actualy memoried of being in the bath with my parents. We're talking under the age of 4 here. I only know about it because I've seen the photographs.

Although I did used to sit in the bathroom and chat with my Mum while she was in the bath as a teenager. Can't say it bothered me all that much (and only bothered her because I used to tell some truly appaling jokes at the time).

Princess - People's actions and what they say are the very first thing I judge people by. In fact, I have right to believe that this is what most people do. After all, if a stranger were to walk right up to you, say something rude, then just walk away, then you'd assume that that was a rude person. (Well, I assume that you'd assume that. But assumption gets us nowhere.)

Indeed they do get you nowhere. If someone came up to me and said something rude then walked away, I might decide right there and then not to give them a chance to show me they were not rude people, but I wouldn't assume I knew them well enough to make a judgment call on their character.

I am against extreme-sexism/discrimination. But terms like "policeman" or "mailman" I do believe can be gender neutral. (I only read about half of the first page before posting, lol)

I have recently dealt with an "extreme" sexist, as he is now my boss. He believes that women have no common sense, and he stated that to me, not in those words, but it was still very clear. Now, I'm no feminist, but that did piss me off enough to start talking to lawers about it, as I refuse to work for someone who thinks I cannot do my job due to the fact that I'm a woman.

I do laugh at jokes made about either sexes by comedians or friends, as they are jokes, nothing serious. And I do believe some stereotypes about men and women alike are true. I do believe men, naturally, have more upper-body strength, while women have more power in their legs. That is all with the exception of body builders and people who work out. I know that my legs are stronger than my fiancee's, but her could easily beat me in an arm wrestling match (neither of us workout)!

I tend to usually keep to myself and go with the flow of things, so if people are sexist, so long as it doesn't affect me, than I don't care.

Now, as far as judging people.... I do judge people... Pretty much everyone does, whether they admit to it or not. I do agree with god.ofthedead in the sense that we all create generalizations about people we see/interact with, it just happens. I work with the public on a daily basis, and I keep my eye on pretty much everyone. There are people who walk in that I will not take my eyes off of because I have assumed, or judged, that they may do something wrong, and that they are a shady person. Sometimes they do nothing, but quite often they steal minor things, or "tag" the bathroom stalls.

I would like to point out that, certainly in my case, I have no actualy memoried of being in the bath with my parents. We're talking under the age of 4 here. I only know about it because I've seen the photographs.

I think there's a rather awesome photo of myself and my brother when we were little (4 or 5?) standing in the bath (together) completely coated from head to foot in bubbles biggrin.gif

All I can remember thinking is that baths were way more fun if you had someone to have a water fight with - I imagine my parents weren't too impressed xd.png

Ah, yes, when I was in Japan, we had an opportunity to try public bathing a couple of times. It was separated by sex, so it was just us girls, but you do go into the baths completely (yes, completely) naked, so we were all a bit self-conscious at first. But, by the end of it we found it was a terrific bonding experience and we continued to visit the baths a few more times before we left.

Ugh! Very sorry to hear that, gotd. sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif Do you have a place to stay? Are there any adults (who respect you, that you trust) who know what's happened?

St. Jimmy - Meaning was implied. Basically, if you act like a child, you will be treated like a child.

Shall we go back to the hard-working teenager example? I wouldn't say they're acting like a child, they just happen to like things meant for children.

Sorry for the language, but...

~Link removed for excessive cussing and explicit discussion.~

(Link might not be safe for work, but I don't care, this is absolutely terrifying)

Edited by kiffren

~Link removed for excessive cussing and explicit discussion.~.[/url]

(Link might not be safe for work, but I don't care, this is absolutely terrifying)

I would like to point out that the vast majority of *men* would think masturbating openly in public places like that was more than a little creepy. Guys that do that have far more problems going on than 'simple' misogyny.

Edited by kiffren

While I don't disagree with that, it's not just the people that are masturbating in public that are disgusting there. =|

~Link removed for excessive cussing and explicit discussion.~.[/url]

Ah yes, all men are creepy.

Coz women are never sexual at all in public, of course. It's not like you'll find girls wearing little more than a bra and belt in public grinding up against their boys/girls/goats, especially come club-night.

You'll probably find that a lot of those 'creepy old men' are suffering with dementia and other debilitating mental conditions, which means that their concepts of socially-acceptable behaviour are quite out-of-sync with everyone else. And it's not just males, but females - talk to any mental health worker and chances are they can tell you about instances where both males and females have been caught doing inappropriate acts, or been stopped from doing inappropriate acts, of a sexual nature.

Edited by kiffren

... Who said all men are creepy?

Christ, you guys. Are you completely missing the point? The point is that these women are getting harassed frequently in uncomfortable ways because of their gender. Don't you find that just the eensiest bit wrong? o__ó

Edited by Zovesta

I think the term 'woman' is sexist.

Woo the man = woman. ._.

I think the term 'woman' is sexist.

Woo the man = woman. ._.

Woah oh my god please tell me you're joking xd.png