arlymaye

Messy Lineages

I used to grab messy ones in the AP and think, "some people shouldn't be allowed to breed" but I had to remind myself that this IS just a game... and kids play and don't care and I DO have the choice to keep or discard what I find... so... I just like to make what I breed "pretty".

I may have posted in this thread a long time ago, but I don't remember so I'll do so now. laugh.gif

When I just started, I didn't care about lineages so much. Therefore, my older dragons are pretty messy. But I quickly got more interested in breeding and lineages, so I try to avoid them now. The only ones I don't mind so much are rares or if they have a Sweetling dad.

im an older user and even now lineage doesnt mean a thing to me unless im trying to trade i want the dragons for their species not for their lineage

Now I know I'm a newbie but I like to think the longer and fuller a lineage the bigger and funnier the family would be tongue.gif but I guess pretty lineages are quite a treat if you have the energy and patience.

If anything, I prefer messy lineages because then I wont feel guilty of ruining something when I breed. Sometimes if I catch pretty but hard to continue lineages (like one that requires a caveborn female silver or something) I throw it back because I can't meet the requirements of what the bloodline asks, so I can hope to give it to someone who can.

Edited by Dracoscar

Since I'm all for CBs (or as close as I can get), I generally freeze certain species of messy commons. The only messy adults I've kept are reds, and I throw back eggs (or hatchies) that I don't freeze. Lineage only matters to me in that other people usually care about short lineages.

Which makes me odd since the rarer a dragon is, the less I want a lineaged one.

Personally I prefer clean lineages, so my Dragons with clean lineages, CB or bred are named, and the "unclean" lineages and left anonymous and sorted to the end of the scroll, unless they perform a special BSA (eg. Pinks and Reds) or are holiday specials. It would be boring if all Dragons were lilke that though. I'd hate to trawl through the Abandoned Page searching for a gem of a lineage or an occasional Cave Born and miss the fun of going "ewww, get it off, get it offffff" as I hurry to re-abandon a messy lineage.

To each, their own.

I don’t really mind if my dragon has a long or messy linage, many of my oldest dragons have super long linages because I always used to hunt the AP due to the slow connection I had as a newbie, and because I joined up before you could look at a dragon’s linage.

That said I do have fun picking up random AP eggs and looking at their linage to find they have something pretty like stairstep or checker, or a cool ancestor like a spriter alt (I like tinselfails). I also have fun picking up an egg and going ‘oh, nice code’ though, so maybe I am a weird person. I don’t throw back the ones without pretty patterns or fun ancestors though, I just keep them.

When I’m breeding I do normally try for second gen, continuing an existing pattern, or something else pretty even though I don’t trade normally (though I am thinking trade is the only way to get certain things) just in case.

I'll breed messy eggs if they're BSA dragons or rares. Otherwise, I try not to.

Edited to add that most of my older dragons are messy. Back in 2009 it was REALLY hard to get a CB unless you had a fast computer or found one dropped in the AP.

Edited by lastcrazyhorn

I really don't mind dragons with messy lineages. In fact, it's fun to see all the dragons in the lineage. I always check to see if my dragon is a Dorkface or thuwed.

sad.gif.... Personally, I don't see the big deal 'bout it... They're still dragons, right?

I personally dislike the aesthetics of a long and messy lineage, it is only interesting in terms of what people have bred together and how far back the current egg (i.e. a silver) goes in its heritage. You can see what people have been trying for when you look at the lineage.

I'll breed messy eggs if they're BSA dragons or rares. Otherwise, I try not to.

Edited to add that most of my older dragons are messy. Back in 2009 it was REALLY hard to get a CB unless you had a fast computer or found one dropped in the AP.

This is also true and definitely why there are more messy dragons on my scroll than I originally intended. xd.png

It certainly didn't seem to matter as much before we got the lineage pages.

When I first joined, I loved long lineages, with dragons I really liked I would look at all the relatives, see who they belonged to, make up my own lineage map and come up with names based on their ancestors. For me that was quite a lot of the fun.

I've always seen the appeal of having cb rares, because they're harder to get. I also like the look of structured lineages. They look awesome and time and effort goes into them. It makes sense that these are more desirable than "messy" lineages.

A gold is still a gold to me though.

At first, when I joined DC, I didn't care about lineages, just the nice sprites were important. Now I have dozens of "ugly" lineages I want to replace.

However there are a few special messy dragons I'm not going to get rid of.

A lot of my older dragons are messy lineaged or even inbred and I love them as they are. I don't really care about lineages, so I still breed some of my messy Rares. If I get commons, though, I hatch them on my scroll before I abandon them for obvious reasons...

I have a lot of messy lineages, most are my older dragons from before I card about lineages. Now I will only collect messy lineaged reds. I try very hard not to breed any of the messy ones, except reds and occasionally Trios. If I'm hunting the AP and find a bunch of messy lineages I usually start biting them.

I confess I used to breed my messy lineaged silvers - I no longer do so unless it's requested of me. I also don't normally keep messy AP-pickups.

Like several of the others here most of my messy-dragons date back to around '09, and as stated I no longer breed them. I much prefer a nice EG now, so as a general rule that's all I breed.

I actually think it's fun to check out a long, long, messy lineage. It shows the dragon's 'history', and makes it more interesting to me. I have CB dragons, and dragons with short, neat lineages, and purebred dragons, and so on, but also a fair number of messily lineaged dragons. I don't really care which is which, myself. smile.gif

If it's rare, I tend to breed a few shinies off it and then deadline it.

If it's common I either keep it and never breed it or toss it back to the AP.

I love getting messy lineages from the departures thread or the AP when they have interesting colors/breeds or especially when there are interesting names.

I don't do a lot of my own breeding right now so if I've got space to be randomly picking up things from the AP, I will actually prefer a messy lineaged dragon (even without the interesting things I mentioned above) to a caveborn. I could be picking up caveborns for future breeding potential and have done that with some bsa dragons that I have vague plans to try to create some "gifting-2nd-gen-purebreed-bsa-dragons" things in the future, and periodically I'll keep a AP caveborn just because. But in general I like to look at an AP egg's lineage rather than a blank area where that lineage would be.

Edited by diaveborn

I'm a lineage snob; I don't keep messy AP finds anymore, except to freeze. Even my metals don't get bred very often because of messy or inbred lineages, which is why I was super happy to catch my first ever CB silver recently. I love lineages with any sort of defined pattern and always try to breed my dragons so that the resulting lineage is beautiful and appealing. If that means I don't breed some dragons, then so be it. I know lots of players don't like when the AP is clogged with messy lineages, so I try not to contribute to that.

I used to not care about lineages when I first joined....but now I really only want CB stuff. And if it's lineaged, it would need to be a perfect stairstep/perfect spiral/EG/etc etc.

The only times that I don't care about lineages is if I'm being gifted a Bluna, Hellfire, or Golden Wyvern, or if I see one in the AP. My scroll acts as a shelter for them since they're my favorite breeds, so I don't really care what their breeding is.

if i find anything messy in the AP i usually throw it back .-. if i get messy shimmers i deadline them.

messy lineages are pretty much worthless to me other than for freezing.

I plan to try to stop collecting messy lineages...

But at the same time, I've just started on a project that I'm going to work on with my messy-lineaged dragons - I am going to make the most spectacularly messy lineage as I can with my dragons (without inbreeding). It's going to be huge!

But I don't plan to drop any of their offspring into the AP.

For me, it's all about lineages. The longer I play, the pickier I get tongue.gif I released everything that was inbred originally, then I released everything that was messy. For the most part, I have nothing on my scroll that isn't a CB, or perfect stair, spiral, or even gen. I even purged my metals twice so that I have nothing that isn't a two breed stair, spiral, or checker, or a pretty mixed even gen. I don't like deadlines or zombies either. Like I said, super picky lol. Messy ones are great for freezing, that's about all I see them having a use for.