El3m3nt

The Elder Scrolls

Looking very forward to it. I'm already tuning up my comp to make it more powerful. It's a bit of money investment, but I use my comp for so many things it's all worth it (need a powerful graphic card for painting, for example, and I've got a very efficient cooling system).

For some stupid reason, I can't play Oblivion with mods. My BF has played a highly modded Oblivion in this very same PC and it has worked wonders, and with me, the game just crashes and the savegames corrupt. I don't get it, I think she hates me. tongue.gif

Anyways, probably the main storyline won't be very interesting. In my latets Oblivion gameplay, I've totally skipped Martin's quest and went about the world minding my own business.

But I am looking forward to see the Dark Brotherhood return, as well as the Thieve's Guild. Boy, were those quests interesting!

As for marriage... meh, it's not something I'm looking forward to, but the idea of dating a random waitress makes it more D&D RPG experience, which is always an interesting view. I can't help but feel they've sort of copied that from Dragon Age Origin's success with pairings, as most people were more interested in that than in the storyline itself.

Stealth kill is an interesting view as well. Again, an Assassin's Creed like feeling, but one that was much needed as, in Oblivion, you ended up swinging your sword about most of the time (those who used swords, I was more into archery).

From what I've seen, the graphics have not been improved much from previous titles, but it's not something that bothers me.

I think the story line will be the most interesting yet. A dragon god returning to wreak havoc upon Skyrim and ultimately all of Tamriel? Sweet.

I confess I didn't much care for Morrowind - it alwasy felt far too dragged out at the start for me. Plus I rather hated that if you accidently wandered into the wrong area you'd get wasted by much higher level monsters. I like the feeling of an open world to explore, and without level balancing I find it starts to feel more enclosed and railroaded.

I do love Oblivion, though. Still playing that rather obsessively. And, like DragonNighthowler, I've taken to almost completely igorning the main plot a lot of the time.

Quite excited for Skyrim, though obviously we'll have to wait and see exactly what it brings!

I just started playing Morrowind a few weeks ago. I hope to play through Morrowind and Oblivion before Skyrim comes out. I can't wait for 11.11.11 (nice date)!

I play Morrowind, and didn't bother getting Oblivion. The reasons for that is one, my video card couldn't handle it at the time, and two, my dad told me they have less places to explore and the storyline is not as interesting or good as Morrowind. Usually if there is a PC game my dad doesn't like, I won't like it either; unless it is a shooter game, I just don't like those in general. I really wish I could play Morrowind right now because my laptop is really old and overheats far too quickly. ;_;

Lunar, has your dad ever tried Oblivion?

It is like Morrowind.

Its storyline is huge, and consists of about 30-80 quests. It is challenging and more difficult. The enemies are more advanced, and the map is bigger I think. There are over 500 side quests that are all epic, with 4 guilds that have 20-50 quests each until you get to guild master.

Get it wink.gif

Currently boycotting Elder Scrolls games due to the Bethesda vs. Mojang lawsuit which recently went to court. I know a lot of Minecraft people are doing the same, many to the point where they're sending emails to Bethesda saying "Drop the Scrolls suit or I pirate Skyrim."

Since it's tangentially related to this thread, figured I'd ask. Does anyone here automatically think Elder Scrolls upon seeing that a game is titled "Scrolls"? Anyone?

Not really. I don't see why they did that...

I also heard a rumour that the Bethesda legal team is completely different from the Bethesda development team and the the devs didn't even know...

Just a rumour, though.

Lunar, has your dad ever tried Oblivion?

It is like Morrowind.

Its storyline is huge, and consists of about 30-80 quests. It is challenging and more difficult. The enemies are more advanced, and the map is bigger I think. There are over 500 side quests that are all epic, with 4 guilds that have 20-50 quests each until you get to guild master.

Get it wink.gif

Yes, my dad owns it and he liked Morrowind better. And Morrowind has Twelve guilds I think? Some of them though you can't join other ones in, and there are at least eight quests if I remember right for each person you can get quests from. Not to mention side quests that you get from random people in the game that you meet in your travels. And that's just for the regular Morrowind, and not its two Expansions that add a lot more quests. My dad has two guide books for the whole thing and the book is big enough thickness wise to be a novel, but the size of the magazine sized guides. It's HUGE. I know that there are at least five hundred quests that you can do, most likely not including the expansions. I also had a friend from college who only liked Oblivion because it had better graphics, but he missed playing Morrowind because he like the plot line and everything in that one better. Besides, my computer still can't handle the graphics. xd.png

I've only played Morrowind, but I loved it. biggrin.gif I'm really excited for Skyrim, even though I don't even have an XBOX 360. xd.png

The only elder scrolls game I played was marrowind and I couldn't find a safe place to level, everything seemed to strong for me

The only elder scrolls game I played was marrowind and I couldn't find a safe place to level, everything seemed to strong for me

The best thing to do is lower the difficulty if its too hard and gather ingredients from the first area you are in and fight crabs. That's all I can suggest about that.

Currently boycotting Elder Scrolls games due to the Bethesda vs. Mojang lawsuit which recently went to court. I know a lot of Minecraft people are doing the same, many to the point where they're sending emails to Bethesda saying "Drop the Scrolls suit or I pirate Skyrim."

Since it's tangentially related to this thread, figured I'd ask.  Does anyone here automatically think Elder Scrolls upon seeing that a game is titled "Scrolls"?  Anyone?

Considering Scrolls is coming out on the VERY SAME DAY as TES;Skyrim... yes, Bethesda has all the rights to sue, and Mojang was playing dirty game there. So if anyone deserves to be boycotted, it is not Bethesda who is protecting her rights, but the other company.

Edited by DragonNighthowler

Considering Scrolls is coming out on the VERY SAME DAY as TES;Skyrim... yes, Bethesda has all the rights to sue, and Mojang was playing dirty game there. So if anyone deserves to be boycotted, it is not Bethesda who is protecting her rights, but the other company.

No it's not. Scrolls isn't even in Alpha yet. Minecraft full was originally supposed to come out the same day as Skyrim and was even pushed back a week.

Mojang was just trying to cover all their bases. They even offered to give up the trademark and Zenimax is still taking it to court. Whatever they've twisted their panties about it's not about Mojang wanting to trademark their one-word title.

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/10990169550/a-short-response

I just saw this:

http://kotaku.com/5846111/mojang-v-bethesd...and-daddy-fight

I feel the need to clarify a couple of things:

We realized we should apply for the trademark “Minecraft” to protect our brand. When doing so, we also sent in an application for “Scrolls”. When Bethesda contacted us, we offered both to change the name to “Scrolls: <some subtitle>” and to give up the trademark.

They refused on both counts.

Whatever reason they have for suing us, it’s not a fear of us having a trademark on the word “Scrolls”, as we’ve offered to give that up.

Whoever is in the wrong it's not Mojang.

Edited by Lythiaren

No it's not.  Scrolls isn't even in Alpha yet.  Minecraft full was originally supposed to come out the same day as Skyrim and was even pushed back a week.

Mojang was just trying to cover all their bases.  They even offered to give up the trademark and Zenimax is still taking it to court.  Whatever they've twisted their panties about it's not about Mojang wanting to trademark their one-word title.

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/10990169550/a-short-response

Whoever is in the wrong it's not Mojang.

Ah, ok. Got confused there.

I don't know. Boycotting a game company because of something that doesn't affect us... well, I'm not even going to bother.

TES has been Bethesda's trademark for ages. I can see their reasoning.

Rowling has sued and won endless lawsuits against people for names alone, or similarity of them, and I didn't see anyone boycotting Rowling because she went against the russian dude with the Tanya Grotter and the Magic Double Bass books.

But I guess you lean more favorable to Mojang while I lean for Bethesda. Either way, I won't be boycotting anyone because it's their issue and they should solve it themselves.

A different story would be if Bethesda pretended to introduce Malware into my PC (cough* EA's Spores? *cough*), in which way, I simply won't buy the game at all. That wouldn't be boycotting either. I simply do not want a game that inserts malware into my comp.

Edit; Ok, read the article. Honestly, Bethesda is acting like I would if my trademarked products were being threatened.

I reafirm my idea, Mojang is doing dirty game here.

Edited by DragonNighthowler

Zenimax is trying to tell the world that you can't use the word "scrolls" for anything ever, because they don't want someone to use a title that's more similar. Mojang is going "woah sorry dude my bad". Like I said they offered to give up the trademark and Zenimax refused. The fact that they offered to drop the trademark at all tells me they had no intention of using the trademark to cause harm to Bethesda. Meanwhile Zenimax is going "AN EXAMPLE MUST BE MADE".

Zenimax is trying to tell the world that you can't use the word "scrolls" for anything ever, because they don't want someone to use a title that's more similar. Mojang is going "woah sorry dude my bad". Like I said they offered to give up the trademark and Zenimax refused. The fact that they offered to drop the trademark at all tells me they had no intention of using the trademark to cause harm to Bethesda. Meanwhile Zenimax is going "AN EXAMPLE MUST BE MADE".

I don't believe that. Mojang was really not going to harm Bethesda when he wanted to own the trademark for, literaly, everything, while Bethesda only owns it for video games?

xd.png

Sorry, but if I was Bethesda, I'd act exactly the same way. If they give up now, this could send precedent for future attempts that could, eventually, destroy Bethesda.

IMO, Notch is all;"OH! Poor, poor me, I'm such a good dude and I'm being harassed by the evil bad company!"

I frankly see no difference between this, and if suddenly tomorrow Hyundai decided to create a super sports car and call it Hyundai Enzo, AND, not happy with that, pretend to own the trademark Enzo for literally every single media.

Ferrari would sue them, and damn reasonably too.

I go back to Rowling. She got into quiet a few lawsuits herself, and yet nobody thought she was being the evil, mistress of books who wanted to destroy poor, puny, tiny authors.

She was someone with a business protecting her interests. Trademark business is tricky, and Notch is not the happy go jolly good dude as he appears to be.

He did not actually give up the trademark. The USPTO rejected his pretentions (I hightly doubt he would just, give up, if the USPTO had been favorable to him), and thus he recoiled in an attempt to look victim yet again against the evil, cruel Bethesda leviathan.

The point is, if Bethesda lowers its head now, how long until I decide to bring out a fantasy sandbox, call it the Scrolls of Elder, and Bethesda won't even be able to sue me because the NOtch/Zenimax sent legal precedent? How long until someone actually uses TES in a game? Until Bethesda looses the trademark completely?

I see it clearly. Bethesda is simply centerd around its interests, and I understand it.

I would take the same legal course as Bethesda or Rowling were any of my trademarks at risk.

If you read the follow-up article that's edited into the first, Bethesda tells their story for the first time.

Supposedly, they have no choice. If they let this case go to rest without taking it and fighting it, then they will be in lesser power to actually fight it when someone intentionally makes a game that plays off the brand name, like "the eldritch scrolls" or something.

I don't like it, but it seems that both parties are on even ground.

If you read the follow-up article that's edited into the first, Bethesda tells their story for the first time.

Supposedly, they have no choice. If they let this case go to rest without taking it and fighting it, then they will be in lesser power to actually fight it when someone intentionally makes a game that plays off the brand name, like "the eldritch scrolls" or something.

I don't like it, but it seems that both parties are on even ground.

That's the point. It's exactly the same as with Rowling's Lawsuit against Tanya Grotter and the Magic Double Bass.

It's pretty much become a two-sided PR stunt at this point really, I'll give you that. But no, they did offer to drop the trademark. It's not their fault the offer was refused. They didn't actually give it up because it was refused, so why drop the application then?

The legal side for Mojang is the work of their lawyers and Carl Manneh putting on their business hats. The legal side for Bethesda is the work of Zenimax. No matter which side wins, Mojang will get the short end of the stick because Zenimax is doing it to make an example of them for fear of setting a precedent.

Do I believe the Mojang trademark was done with intent to harm Bethesda? No, because as both the follow-up article and every entry of Notch's blog that even mentions TES state quite clearly, he idolizes Bethesda. He wouldn't knowingly throw punches at them because he has no reason to hate them.

And for the record, I think the friendly Quake 3 match would have been a much better and more positive PR stunt for the two.

Edited by Lythiaren

So far I've played Oblivion and fell in love with it. I want to try Skyrim and fall madly in love with that.