Valkiepoo

Cave Blockers: Mossy Egg

Bumped to get this thread more views.

Also, why not these eggs could have negative effects to those around them? Such as adding on a day to their time, therefore un-cubating them. Or it could turn them into a hole different species of dragon completely. Or, it could cause an egg to have 75% fail rate while trying to pick it up.

I've been following this, i think that the only logical thing for the mossy dragon is to create a separate sprite for it. It would take far to long for people to get permission, and THEN create the moss for EACH dragon in the cave and every dragon after that...

That is, ONLY talking about the mossy sprites deal. If it just affects the way the egg grows up.. well that's different.

What if you pick up the egg and it DOES take more views... And it dies easier if it's mossy?

This being said- The egg shell will not stay on your scroll if it dies a mossy egg

I like the idea. It seems more entertaining.

~Removed - was that a copy'pasta accident?~

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Mossy eggs should make nearby eggs sick easier.

Or, a mossy egg could transform form a common to a uncommon, such as a sunsong or glory drake.

So, a mossy egg could turn the egg into a moss dragon. Sounds pretty cool to me.

Or it could incubate it, since it keeps the heat in. And it's moss could wrap around other eggs, making them harder to wedge out, around 4 clicks and the affected egg should be a 1-click grab.

Gotta say I'm not liking these suggestions for a mossy egg making it more difficult to grab anything else on the page. I really don't think that was the idea of the original suggestion - that idea is to make people want to pick the mossy egg itself up - not to make it harder to pick up anything else.

People are already frustrated with eggs they don't want blacking pages. If that were still happening, but the eggs they *did* want had become harder to grab.... no. Just no.

Having the egg change into a different dragon also defeats the object. As it currently stands we *need* more of those 'blocker' breeds on people's scrolls for the ratios to behave. This is a way to make those common blockers more desireable by giving them an additional ability.

All the suggestions for a new dragon type would just create a new uncommon. We don't want that. We want people picking up and keeping the common eggs, and we need them to *stay*, as commons, on people's scrolls.

I should also add that I do really like the suggestion in the original post, and totally support it. I just don't like or support many of the suggestions on recent pages.

I should also add that I do really like the suggestion in the original post, and totally support it. I just don't like or support many of the suggestions on recent pages.

Same here. I think Mossy Egg is a great idea to get people to pick up blocker eggs, but adding the elements to adult sprites is just overcomplicating matters. The OP has since edited his post to indicate that he doesn't think it practical or realistic. And please, NOTHING that would make an egg harder to pick up - it defeats the entire purpose.

Edited by LibbyLishly

I do think this is the best idea we have so far for clearing out the blockers.

I do kind of like the idea of this leading to a whole new type of Dragon though. I know that a lot of people are against that because the idea is to get more blockers on scrolls and therefore help out the ratios, but I think that it'll help just as much if there is just a small chance of the dragon turning mossy. Especially if it isn't revealed to be a mossy until it hatches.

My idea-

You grab the mossy egg, lets say its a Waterwalker. The egg text would read This egg seems to be floating on a puddle. The shell of this egg is covered with a thin layer of moss. It doesn't seem to hurt the egg, but hopefully the dragon inside is unharmed. and the egg would appear with the mossy overlay 100% of the time. And would remain this way until it hatches.

The grand majority of the time, lets say 97%, the egg hatches as a completely normal Waterwalker. Since it is a hatchie at this point most people wouldn't bother to ap it, and it will just grow up on their scroll and help the ratios, yay!

BUT that last 3% of the time it hatches into a completely different dragon. With a description something like...Aww...it's a cute baby dragon...but not the one you were expecting! It seems slower and more sleepy then most."

I think keeping the rarity of the turn so low will keep Mossy dragons valuable enough that most people will still grab/raise the eggs even though they almost always end up with a blocker hatchie. I mean, look at the work people are willing to put into getting a neglected.

I do think this is the best idea we have so far for clearing out the blockers.

I do kind of like the idea of this leading to a whole new type of Dragon though. I know that a lot of people are against that because the idea is to get more blockers on scrolls and therefore help out the ratios, but I think that it'll help just as much if there is just a small chance of the dragon turning mossy. Especially if it isn't revealed to be a mossy until it hatches.

My idea-

You grab the mossy egg, lets say its a Waterwalker. The egg text would read This egg seems to be floating on a puddle.  The shell of this egg is covered with a thin layer of moss. It doesn't seem to hurt the egg, but hopefully the dragon inside is unharmed. and the egg would appear with the mossy overlay 100% of the time. And would remain this way until it hatches.

The grand majority of the time, lets say 97%, the egg hatches as a completely normal Waterwalker. Since it is a hatchie at this point most people wouldn't bother to ap it, and it will just grow up on their scroll and help the ratios, yay!

BUT that last 3% of the time it hatches into a completely different dragon. With a description something like...Aww...it's a cute baby dragon...but not the one you were expecting! It seems slower and more sleepy then most."

I think keeping the rarity of the turn so low will keep Mossy dragons valuable enough that most people will still grab/raise the eggs even though they almost always end up with a blocker hatchie. I mean, look at the work people are willing to put into getting a neglected.

I would make a point of grabbing them.

Right now the only thing I'm after is a few of the uncommons/rares I don't have, as well as snagging 2 DayGlories. But after 6pm, I can't get the Glories I need and wind up grabbing other eggs.

If I saw a mossy version of a common/blocker not getting picked up, I'd snag it just because.

And for the majority of the time it hatches true? Instead of dumping it to the AP if you're that set on not keeping blockers, why not post it to the "Take an egg, leave an egg" forum? I'm sure someone would be glad to have a free hatchling, and then the breeder can go right back to mossy hunting.

Edit: I'm voting 'mossy' but with a condition.

An interesting note regarding moss though -- it seems to grow in a "microbiotic crust" with lichen in some places, such as that Utah desert. It seems to me the people of the dc world wouldn't be scientific enough to separate the moss and the lichen into different plant species, but would see the mat of growth and call it one thing. I think lichen is probably the plant most likely to grow on eggs, but it would also make sense for the people to call it moss, mistakenly.

Technically, it is lichen. But when a person goes out to the woods or to a foresty/wooded stream, the plant-like growths on the wood/rocks often gets called 'moss'. Lichen can grow on wood. It has a distinctive shape, but people call it 'moss' anyways.

Edited by SkylerFarrier

I'm not sure why people would want to add negatives to a Blocker egg that people were trying to get players to pick up because of a different egg sprite appearance, and chance of an altered description, and I'm also not sure how you'd work giving a BSA to various Blocker sprites on the basis of their having been mossy eggs, although perhaps the changed description would justify this, if the different spriters and TJ had no objection.

But I wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot pole if they could slow down/harm other eggs on my scroll... and I'd be extremely upset if a low-gen Shimmer, CB metallic or other hard-to-come-by egg or special lineage was altered by one, as well.

I really like this idea, and hope someone actually makes a Moss Dragon! We have a vine dragon, so why not? I vote for a series of plant dragons. biggrin.gif

What if to make a Moss Dragon, you had to fog an egg with 1 unique view for a certain number of days, but not enough to make it a neglected or to die?

I know there are some flaws with this idea, but I still want a Moss Dragon.

I really like this idea, and hope someone actually makes a Moss Dragon! We have a vine dragon, so why not? I vote for a series of plant dragons. biggrin.gif

What if to make a Moss Dragon, you had to fog an egg with 1 unique view for a certain number of days, but not enough to make it a neglected or to die?

I know there are some flaws with this idea, but I still want a Moss Dragon.

The idea here is to add moss to eggs in the biomes that have been around for too long, not to have a way to create one on your scroll.

Oh! This sound cool. I don't cave hunt much anymore, but if I might get a diffrent dragon or a BSA I might at least check the biomes once and a while. Even if it was a small chance like a alt, that would be great!

If it was just I different description, though, I wouldn't bother. And I wouldn't want there to be a downside, like it could spread on your scroll.

I love the idea! biggrin.gif I don't cavehunt much because I can never find anything decent in there(because of commons that stay there forever xd.png), this however would definitely change things.

I don't have time to go slogging through 18 pages of posts, so I don't know if this has been addressed yet, but what if the dragon that gains a MSA has a BSA? Unlikely, I know, but it could happen! Does the dragon now have two actions? Or does the MSA replace the BSA?

I think this will only make the issues worse, because no one will want to grab a "Boring, non-mossy common." About 95% of the eggs would just end up sitting there until they turned to moss, the only people that would nab non-moss would be the newbies.

If there wasn't a subtext/sprite addition, then the result could end up being even worse, with eggs left there for too long of time periods, or just constantly being caught and the thrown back into the AP, making the AP even more full of the cave blockers.

The system works fine right now, and I don't think anyone's dieing because of this 'problem.' In reality, the treasured rares that hide behind the CBers are only rare because they are hidden behind commons. (Just to a dress general complaints about cave blockers.) The rares we so treasure would only fall under common or uncommon if there were no, or very few, 'cave blockers.'

The only system to get rid of the eggs efficiently are the projects occurring on the forums, where users are rewarded for picking up the offending eggs.

I didn't actually swear, just used the emote to express how I feel about having to pick up an egg I don't necessarily want just to get things moving again. I have done this, but I've never been happy about it, and it usually just brings another blocker on the screen. Which makes me spout more censorkips xd.png

Regarding being different on every egg - I'm not sure how feasible that is. There is a large number of eggs, and creating different moss sprites for each in addition to the coding to ensure each moss lines up with its egg sounds like it might make this a more improbable project. It might be feasible to have 3-4 different overlays, but I'm not a coder and not sure how easy/hard that would be.

I like the 3/4 different overlays idea, and I thought of a new idea because of it: What if the different overlays had different amounts of moss, and the overlays with more moss have greater chance of the dragon to be affected?

With the AP no longer blocking the cave, which means a non-moving cave is less of a problem (because you can see it 24/7 instead of 5 minutes), and people being more willing to take blockers to reveal other eggs (because dumping blockers into the AP is pretty much guilt-free now), I don't see much point in this anymore other than "oh look new stuff, pretty!".

Also considering the counter-arguments that point out the potential flaws of this suggestion, I cannot support this.

Edited by CNR4806

This seems like a good idea albeit not very well thought out imo. If giving mossy eggs a msa hurts the chances of this happening, then I don't want any msas. Maybe instead a badge of raising 50 mossy eggs? I like the idea that 3% out of a 100% of mossy eggs salt and hatch into mossy dragons. But THERE IS NO REASON WHY MOSSY EGGS SHOULD BE DIFFICULT TO OBTAIN.