Valkiepoo

Cave Blockers: Mossy Egg

I like this idea.

msa ideas:

Coldsnap:

Puts all dragon young into a state of hibernation for 1 day. They can recieve OV/UV/C, BUT THEIR HATCH/MATURE TIMER DOESN'T MOVE.

cooldown 5 days

USED 1 PER EGG, ONCE PER HATCHLING

Would also increase pickup of AP eggs with low time, since you'd have a better chance of saving them.

Cupid's Arrow:

Targeted at 1 adult dragon the same gender as the mossy using it. makes it able to breed again with its most recent mate IF THE MATE WAS ALSO HIT. therefore you'd need two, one Male, one Female, with this MSA to use it.

Note- the dragon will not mate with anyone else until it mates with its beloved, even if it has to wait normal time.

Cooldown 1wk

USED ONCE PER DRAGON PER 2 WK

...instead of moss growing on the egg, it is found by some mischevious... um... fairies?  Who, like, enchant it?

I might be replying to an old comment, but I died when I read this.

On-topic: This is a pretty good idea, and I support, but there's something pulling at my sleeve that I dare not to answer about this.

Edited by Suwako

I kinda like that twist, it would allow more wiggle room with the actions, since coming up with good actions related to moss is rather hard.

Yes! This would be grat, maybe with a little tweaking- but half the egg ARE stone, and the rest would be fine for moss to attach to. ANYthing to clear those biomes, but I do think it would be best if you can't telll until it hatches wheather it will be 'mossy' or not- otherwis this could increase the eggs in the AP.... but if you made it impossible to tell, we could get a few more hatchies in the AP.

Nice idea. I like thinking how some people would not be able to tell which egg they were trying to catch (like a surprise) and perhaps more users would go after the dragons' MSAs.

I don't like cave blockers and take one or two of them myself every time I go hunting and there aren't any dragons I'm actually interested in. A mossy egg would mean a slightly more likely chance of finding something the older users are actually interested in. Look at those Brimstones. Only a percentage of users bother grabbing them and certainly not me anymore. I'm still trying to get a dragon I don't have such as a Blusang tongue.gif and blockers aren't helping. Mossy eggs would give some users with slower computers or internets a better chance since those with lightning fast loading take everything first glance.

Coldsnap:

Puts all dragon young into a state of hibernation for 1 day. They can recieve OV/UV/C, BUT THEIR HATCH/MATURE TIMER DOESN'T MOVE.

cooldown 5 days

Would also increase pickup of AP eggs with low time, since you'd have a better chance of saving them.

I quite like this idea for an MSA and moss is known to inhibit the growth of seedlings so it does make sense that a Mossy dragon could slow down a hatchlings growth rate, NOT an eggs, but I don't think eggs were being suggested here. A name change is probably needed though as Coldsnap doesn't really make a lot of sense, maybe Hibernate or Deep Sleep, any other suggestions. It could be similar to the Naptime MSA "<dragon> lets out a massive yawn that is immediately contagious. The hatchlings all seem affected and drop off to sleep." but instead of fogging the hatchlings it merely puts them in hibernation for a day.

I quite like this idea for an MSA and moss is known to inhibit the growth of seedlings so it does make sense that a Mossy dragon could slow down a hatchlings growth rate, NOT an eggs, but I don't think eggs were being suggested here. A name change is probably needed though as Coldsnap doesn't really make a lot of sense, maybe Hibernate or Deep Sleep, any other suggestions. It could be similar to the Naptime MSA "<dragon> lets out a massive yawn that is immediately contagious. The hatchlings all seem affected and drop off to sleep." but instead of fogging the hatchlings it merely puts them in hibernation for a day.

I'll agree that the MSA being used on eggs doesn't seem right (and, as Pokemonfan 13 said, would make Neglected easier to obtain. That doesn't seem right, as they wouldn't really be...well...neglected). Putting the hatchlings to sleep for a day could actually get support; It could be used as a safety net to give your ER hatchlings time to grow, or prevent the hatchling from growing up while a trade is going on...as long as it has 4+ days (Had this been around, I could have used it to prevent one CB red I had from growing up).

The idea of giving my hatchlings another day certainly has my support.

Edited by warriorjames

Coldsnap:

cooldown 5 days

I don't know if that would be needed for AP eggs though- low time eggs tend to get snatched up in seconds in the AP.

I can see it being useful for newer players though who still haven't quite gotten the hang of hatching eggs yet, or for players who might not be able to get online for whatever reason for a few days.

Why not have a mossy egg turn into an entirely different species--a moss dragon?

To add to what Pokemonfan said, this would also mean that once people got their fill of them, they'd stop grabbing the mossies. Where if they had a chance to have ONE of multiple semi-rare BSAs upon reaching adulthood, more would b grabbed for their usefulness. Look at reds. They're not really rare. But people (like me) have armies of them just for their incredibly useful BSA.

Now, say a mossy is just a normal new dragon. Get a couple, done. All collected, on to other things. But suppose instead they stay commons that count to those ever-important ratios and have that 30% chance of growing up and revealing a very useful MSA. Like them or not, people are going to grab those things right up in hopes of hoarding an army of those useful MSAs.

(This has probably all been explained before...)

This idea is amazing! smile.gif One of my favorite Dragons is Day Glory's and Night Glory's and I would trade an Ice Egg for one of these! ( I just need to get an egg out of mine dry.gif ) And I'm sure people will love to have these and get them in their favorites! Can I help?

More a variation to coldsnap:

Late bloomer: The targeted hatchling does not grow up unless it hits 1 hour or gets onto someone else's scroll.

Benefit: Good for trading hatchlings. biggrin.gif

Just throwing an idea out here, feel free to ignore me if you think it's retarded.

How about creating a Moss dragon (wait, hear me out) with no BSA, but with the tendency to make moss grow out of unsupervised things? That way, there's something to blame for the mossy eggs, and depending on the Moss dragon's description, more MSAs could be added (MSAs would have to be decided before making the moss dragon's description, though). Like, when it makes moss grow on eggs, if the eggs hatch mossy they gain a bit of the Moss dragon's powers, which explains the MSAs. It'd be important to not have it be a BSA (maybe being raised by humans nullify their moss-making powers?), or if not, people would just create their own mossy eggs and that'd defeat the purpose.

Another advantage would be that the time that has to pass for an egg to become mossy could be randomized, because it's the dragon's fault and they can find the egg at different times. So, instead of every egg taking 5 minutes, it could be a 3-7 minutes range or something like that. We had a randomized growing time for eggs and hatchies before the Change, so it shouldn't be that hard to code.

...And as a bonus, if moss dragons are common, you could have a mossy moss dragon.

I really like this idea. It's been worked on and it seems like everything is logical. I would actually prefer them to just have a moss-covered egg because it's just different to look at, and then have them hatch to a normal looking dragon that is more aloof than the other hatchlings that didn't have moss on them. I don't think there needs to be a new breed.

But just out of curiosity, excuse me if it's been asked already, is the dragon affected mentally or just personality-wise when moss has grown on their egg? It's mentioned in the OP that the dragons would be slower, and prone to laziness.

I also really like the idea of MSAs that would be really convenient like Incubate, Fertility, and Influence. Except I would think these MSAs had to be really beneficial to help out with getting these cave-blockers-made-mossy to be moving all the time.

I love the idea and think it could work but one problem; (I appologize if it's brought up previously...) but if moss adds to an egg's appeal then couldnt a lot of people sit there refreshing to wait until the egg turns? If they turn after 5 min I think thats a bit too long when thats a possibility. 3 min, perhaps? Just a thought smile.gif

Well, at least for me I tend to take the egg furthest to the right when I'm deliberately taking a blocker to get things moving. So the two left eggs would stay for a long time and turn mossy, while those deliberately taking eggs would take the furthest right egg and keep things moving to some extent.

With mossy eggs this would probably be an even stronger tendency unless one of the other two was an egg you really wanted [like when I was catching waterhorses for a trade if a waterhorse was in the coast no matter the position when I popped in I'd take it]

I'm just going to quote this so I don't have to say it again. Basically I imagine that people would continue to go after the far right egg, and the other two would sit long enough to turn mossy. I also think that it shouldn't take too long for an egg to go mossy, since anything that sits for 2-5 minutes isn't going to be anything but a blocker and isn't likely to be picked up other than as a slot sacrifice to keep things moving.

I think that creating a new Mossy dragon species would make this work better. A new sub-description isn't a good enough motivator, and you would have to have an incredibly brilliant MSA to make it worth it (the current ones don't seem logical enough to work, unless the moss somehow produces sleep or affection inducing spores).

Now, I realize that the whole point of this is to keep the ratios in check by encouraging common raising. However, if Mossies kept track of their original breed, they would still work towards the common ratios. And I know it's possible to do this, because Zombies keep track of their original breed.

New sprite + cool BSA is the best way to go about this, I think.

I think that creating a new Mossy dragon species would make this work better. A new sub-description isn't a good enough motivator, and you would have to have an incredibly brilliant MSA to make it worth it (the current ones don't seem logical enough to work, unless the moss somehow produces sleep or affection inducing spores).

Now, I realize that the whole point of this is to keep the ratios in check by encouraging common raising. However, if Mossies kept track of their original breed, they would still work towards the common ratios. And I know it's possible to do this, because Zombies keep track of their original breed.

New sprite + cool BSA is the best way to go about this, I think.

This suggestion poses a different problem, though - zombies aren't breedable.

Would you be able to breed the new species? And, if so, would it be able to breed its own species, or would it act like frills do now, or would it breed the original species it was before it turned mossy? (And if so, how would you know what that species is? I can see the help forum now, "My mossy bred a spitfire! I thought dragons couldn't breed anything other than the type of dragon they are!")

This suggestion poses a different problem, though - zombies aren't breedable.

Would you be able to breed the new species? And, if so, would it be able to breed its own species, or would it act like frills do now, or would it breed the original species it was before it turned mossy? (And if so, how would you know what that species is? I can see the help forum now, "My mossy bred a spitfire! I thought dragons couldn't breed anything other than the type of dragon they are!")

I imagine you wouldn't be able to breed them. You could say the moss 'took over' the growing embryo, creating a new creature that doesn't reproduce the same way a normal dragon would (kind of like those weird mushrooms that take over ants xd.png).

Also, we already have that issue with UVs breeding Spitfires, haha, and it's still not really much of an issue. Even if Mossies were allowed to breed their original breed (which, again, I don't support), I doubt it would cause a sudden flooding of the help section. wink.gif

This suggestion caught my attention...and seeing people suggest creating a moss dragon caught my attention even more.

A while back...oh god, probably about a year or more ago, I wanted to create a new Dragon Suggestion for a Moss Dragon I had created on this site far too long ago (it had been originally used as a sketch for an Ancient Dragon I believe, but was rejected and suggested that it looked better as a Moss Dragon). However, when I suggested it the idea was turned down for reasons I don't think I can say? Though that's not to say that I don't want to try again...specifically for another species that I've really wanted to suggest.

Though I would probably have to talk to Sock about it.

Other than that...this idea seems kind of cute if anything.

edit :: and then you have the Willow Moss Dragon, although that one is quite different than the moss that is being discussed here.

Edited by Dragnia_Zonatia

As for the poll, I answered other, as I feel it should depend on the biome. Lichen would be more in places like desert, volcano, and alpine, while moss would be in the other three.

Love this idea, has a high added-fun-factor! tongue.gif Hope everybody keeps brainstorming on those MSA's...

To add to what Pokemonfan said, this would also mean that once people got their fill of them, they'd stop grabbing the mossies. Where if they had a chance to have ONE of multiple semi-rare BSAs upon reaching adulthood, more would b grabbed for their usefulness. Look at reds. They're not really rare. But people (like me) have armies of them just for their incredibly useful BSA.

Now, say a mossy is just a normal new dragon. Get a couple, done. All collected, on to other things. But suppose instead they stay commons that count to those ever-important ratios and have that 30% chance of growing up and revealing a very useful MSA. Like them or not, people are going to grab those things right up in hopes of hoarding an army of those useful MSAs.

(This has probably all been explained before...)

This, and what Pokemonfan13 has said.

They need to get mossy fast enough to actually move the biome, but it could be random with some eggs gathering moss faster than others. I don't think they need to be a new breed, I think adding a nifty BSA would be good enough. There are lots of dragons I only have one pair of, if they had a BSA, or even a chance of a BSA, I would be more inclined to fill a slot with them.