Valkiepoo

Cave Blockers: Mossy Egg

Okay, um, I'm pretty sure that to colorblind people, a shade of green would look lighter in shade than the black text (normal/St.Patrick's themes) or darker than the white text (Portal 2 theme), so even if not AS noticeable, they'd still be able to tell.

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

Thats what I don't really know.

The only colorblind person I has a problem with seeing specific colors as black/really dark gray-something. He has the problem with red though... So maybe there arn't people that have the problem with the green shading.

But you are right. I think the most common colourblindness is a red/green issue.

I don't like the idea of changing the appearance of the mystery egg (whether it be changing the ? to a ! or changing the color) because there are countless people with computers so slow that it helps them to turn off images even when they hunt in the cave. If you make recognition of a mossy egg reliant on images, these people will be at a disadvantage. Why not change the color of the egg description text to green, or tack something on at the end, like "It's mossy." Or, have an alternate description for every egg that contains the word "moss" or "mossy" somewhere. This sounds like a lot but it really wouldn't be that hard to come up with. The pink egg for instance could be, "It's bright. And pink. And mossy." The red egg could be "This mossy egg is rather warm." And so forth.

Just to say, there are plenty of people with fast connections who still hunt with images off (*cough cough guilty*).

I think it would be kind of clunky to put in a "mossy" thing in the descs, but I see why it would be useful. Perhaps instead of changing the text itself, the letters could become green? Or bold?

Yeah, I think a green text would still be distinguishable as a different shade of gray. x_x Otherwise, they would still have the problem when hunting plain colored eggs on the AP.

I like the idea of the moss sprite just overlaying on the ? egg (as opposed to a green ?), but with images off people wouldn't see it. :b So I'm in favor of a change of color with the description (or a bolding of the description!) Adding an "It's mossy!" at the end could make things kind of cluttered, though it's not really a bad solution. It wouldn't be bad either way.

Yeah, I think a green text would still be distinguishable as a different shade of gray. x_x Otherwise, they would still have the problem when hunting plain colored eggs on the AP.

Actually, I'd think colorblind users would just think those two breeds happened to have the same egg sprite. Considering some have the same description, it's not too far-fetched.

I know a few colorblind people, one that plays this site- though her problems are more about blues and browns. She doesn't have many problems with telling apart closely-colored eggs, though. It's like silvers, silver tinsels, storms and whites- similarly colored, sure, but we can tell them apart, if only from shading styles.

Adding a little mention of the moss on the egg in the description sounds good. Changing the text of the egg just seems kind of odd to me. xd.png;;

Out of curiosity, I ran a google search for color blindness simulators online.

Found this place. I used their simulator on DC's abandoned page a few times, to see what it looked like. My conclusion was that if the shade of green on the question mark is enough of a different value or intensity, people who are color blind will still be easily able to distinguish it from the red question marks.

Out of curiosity, I ran a google search for color blindness simulators online.

Found this place. I used their simulator on DC's abandoned page a few times, to see what it looked like. My conclusion was that if the shade of green on the question mark is enough of a different value or intensity, people who are color blind will still be easily able to distinguish it from the red question marks.

That still doesn't really help people who have to hunt with images turned off though.

Interesting idea, though I'm a little iffy on the "MSAs." Seems a little bit too much of a pain to code.

Another alternative to encourage users could be, say, getting a "moss" badge after having raised 20 or so moss-covered dragon eggs? Doesn't change the function of the dragons themselves, and relatively easy to code, sorta like the splash badge, just keeps a running count of those raised, and gives the badge once you've reached a certain number. Given the five minute delay required for the egg to get mossy, and the sheer number of users, even just needing to raise 20 of them would cause a pretty high demand for moss-covered eggs.

That still doesn't really help people who have to hunt with images turned off though.

I don't particularly see why there needs to be something to distinguish for people who have images turned off. =X

I don't particularly see why there needs to be something to distinguish for people who have images turned off. =X

Because they couldn't see the green question mark as against the red one. I speak as one who for ages HAD to hunt with images off, or the page simply didn't load (dial-up on a very poor phone line..)

Because they couldn't see the green question mark as against the red one. I speak as one who for ages HAD to hunt with images off, or the page simply didn't load (dial-up on a very poor phone line..)

I think the question is more along the lines of "why should we design a feature around the fact that some people hunt with images off." On the one hand, you could say that images are there "for a reason," but the images are also hidden "for a reason," so you could say that you're not supposed to be able to get any information from the images, and so we shouldn't add information to be gleaned from the image.

The site has blind users. The AP is already utterly unusable for them because of the lack of clickable alt text, why introduce a new feature without due consideration for adhering to very basic web standards? In this case, if the mystery egg was different, the alt text would be different; instead of "Mystery Egg" it could say "Different Mystery Egg" or some such. Solves the problem rather neatly.

Edited by Princess Artemis

...I like the idea of 'and its mossy!' added to all the descriptions of an egg rather than any of the other things. For example.

'This egg is very reflective, almost metallic looking. And it's mossy!'

...I like the idea of 'and its mossy!' added to all the descriptions of an egg rather than any of the other things. For example.

That would be so very entertaining : )

Like Princess Artemis said, users who are blind or who have other vision problems would be at an even greater disadvantage if the mystery egg image is altered, rather than something else. And not just for the benefit of blind users, but also everyone with a slow computer or connection. Having a different egg image for mossy eggs, or altering the description somehow, seems to me it would be equally easy to code either way. It's not like I'm suggesting that we go out of the way to help people who turn off images. But since there are people who have to hunt with images turned off in order to catch anything decent, and since there are blind users or sight-impaired users who would have trouble with just an altered image, and since it seems equally easy to change egg descriptions rather than to change the images, I don't see why we shouldn't choose the option that makes hunting mossy eggs more accessible to a greater number of users.

Blind people play this game? The person wouldn't be able to see their dragons, see what they're named, or see what their lineages are like. Unless they have someone to do all this for them ... but wouldn't that make the game kinda boring for the blind person? They aren't doing anything themselves.

Or is there some sort of program that reads things aloud to the blind person?

I'm just curious!

Edit: Just took the time to read through the first post. Over all I like the idea! Makes things a bit more interesting for the cave blockers. However, I do agree that making changes on the appearance of the mystery-eggs is a bit unfair, since some people are colorblind, or need to have their images shut off. I'd vote for a small change in egg description rather than a change in appearance (though users that posted below me suggested making both physical changes and description changes ... which I have nothing against!)

Edit 2: As for the MSA's, I like the random option. I think all the MSA's sound great and it'd be cool to see them all in the game!

Edited by Flérida_Pagan

Is there some reason we can't have both an image difference and a description difference? o3o (I for one would prefer, if there was an image difference, that the moss just overlay on the ? sprite)

Either way, I just want to see this implemented. x3 Wookie's moss is great and should work on all eggs.

What needs most work I think is what the MSA should be. Disenchanting (on the first post) seems the most useful, but maybe we should try brainstorming some more ideas? Just to see if we could find something that fits a bit better?

Should there only be one MSA? Or should there be random MSAs, to keep people interested?

PA/Renorei, do you mean color blind rather than just blind? Tbh, I have a hard time seeing (pun not intended) how someone that cannot see at all can play this game...

Is there some reason we can't have both an image difference and a description difference? o3o (I for one would prefer, if there was an image difference, that the moss just overlay on the ? sprite)

That's exactly what I was thinking xd.png I was hoping for a green "!" mark and something in the description (i.e., "and it's mossy!"). Something different to make that egg stand out in all retrospects.

PA/Renorei, do you mean color blind rather than just blind? Tbh, I have a hard time seeing (pun not intended) how someone that cannot see at all can play this game...

Someone can be legally blind without being pitch-black-can't-see-anything-at-all blind. Just like with deafness, there are varying degrees of blindness. With deaf people, there are very few who are 100% completely deaf. There are blind people who have enough residual sight that they could play a game like this, along with the help of assistive technology. There is at least one legally blind person I know of who plays DC who is a member of the forums. I haven't seen this person around lately, but I distinctly remember that they had a hilarious signature, with a picture of a blind person's cane with the text, "The beatings will continue until morale improves!"

PA/Renorei, do you mean color blind rather than just blind?  Tbh, I have a hard time seeing (pun not intended) how someone that cannot see at all can play this game...

I mean blind, as in legally or totally.

Somewhere deep in Suggestions, a blind player requested that the AP have alt text added to it so she could use it with her screen reader. She was quite loudly shouted down for this and told that she couldn't possibly enjoy DC because she couldn't see the sprites. It was, of course, utterly absurd to tell her what she could and could not enjoy, but that's what happened.

Since people who are deaf can enjoy music just fine, I don't see at all why a blind person couldn't enjoy a game with written dragon descriptions all over the place.

ETA:

Or is there some sort of program that reads things aloud to the blind person?

I'm just curious!

Yes, blind computer users use programs called screen readers to navigate their computers. They don't need monitors. The screen reader is their monitor, it reads all the text so they can hear what's on a web page.

If this MSA idea went through and the mystery eggs had the question mark turned green on them to indicate a mossy egg, if the alt text continued to say Mystery Egg, it would exactly the same to a blind user as it would be if they hadn't changed at all.

Edited by Princess Artemis

that is HILARIOUS. xd.png

(although you'd be waiting a VERY long time for that one o.o;;)

Edited by DarkEternity