Valkiepoo

Cave Blockers: Mossy Egg

This is already in the cave pretty much, with very small differences. Every 5 minutes, the eggs will be changed around. Like recycled said.

Support for this! This is going to make the cave so much more interesting, and even if no BSA is implemented, I would still love to see the new moss egg sprites(Ugh, this is when I want to have some sort of frozen egg thing so I can collect the mossy sprite)

I know but it just seems to me even with the shuffle, only the same eggs keep appearing.

True, because we need more variety among Commons, to increase variation in the eggs appearing.

But would the eggs then become mossy in one or two minutes, to encourage faster movement?

I know but it just seems to me even with the shuffle, only the same eggs keep appearing.

10 mints and 6 guardians in the backlog cycling back and forth will not magically give you a gold or a magma.

Of course, there are more eggs involved than what I just said and it is very likely that a few rares are mixed within them. But regardless, rarer eggs will have a lesser chance of showing up despite rotation simply because of the sheer number of commons.

It is supposed to give you a chance to see the rares (or other commons that aren't showing atm), as opposed to having the same blockers sit there for half an hour, not promising you that a rare would show up.

But would the eggs then become mossy in one or two minutes, to encourage faster movement?

If they're turning that fast then yes, most likely. At least initially when they're released. No telling how badly the grabbing will die down after the initial rush for mossy eggs.

Edited by CNR4806

Add "And it's mossy!" to the text description - my concern about this is that some descriptions are already fairly long (granted, most of them aren't currently blockers, but they could be someday, theoretically).

I don't think that adding those three words will impact on the length so much that it becomes a problem. I think this would be a good way of telling them apart.

I'm not sure if the currently suggested MSAs are a good idea or not, but having mossy eggs with moss specific actions is something that has my support!

Though I'm not sure how this would work now with the eggs in biomes changing every five minutes.

I don't like this, it would just add unnecessary complication to the cave and likely cause competition for the special dragons, also devaluing the normal dragons that already aren't of high value. If there's an incentive, it should be small and not last into adulthood, like getting some hours off the timer or something. That way players would have a benefit to grabbing eggs that have been around for a while, but there wouldn't be a market for them. I feel like making the mossy dragons different with special descriptions and MSAs is just asking for trouble.

"Moss-specific action" does sound wonderfully silly though.

I don't like this, it  would just add unnecessary complication to the cave and likely cause competition for the special dragons, also devaluing the normal dragons that already aren't of high value. If there's an incentive, it should be small and not last into adulthood, like getting some hours off the timer or something. That way players would have a benefit to grabbing eggs that have been around for a while, but there wouldn't be a market for them. I feel like making the mossy dragons different with special descriptions and MSAs is just asking for trouble.

You're brilliant!

If the mossy eggs had a day knocked off the timer, perhaps as long as it stayed on the original scroll? that would be immediately useful in encouraging people who might have a 'meh, maybe someday more of these' type of use for whatever blocker is involved.

Because if the eggs turn mossy within a minute or two, there would be a glut of them on every common type of egg in every biome, and how many hundreds of BSAs of that type would people actually want? laugh.gif

Edit: and you're right - '... "Moss-specific action" does sound wonderfully silly though.'

Gotta love it!

Edited by Syphoneira

I don't like this, it  would just add unnecessary complication to the cave and likely cause competition for the special dragons, also devaluing the normal dragons that already aren't of high value. If there's an incentive, it should be small and not last into adulthood, like getting some hours off the timer or something. That way players would have a benefit to grabbing eggs that have been around for a while, but there wouldn't be a market for them. I feel like making the mossy dragons different with special descriptions and MSAs is just asking for trouble.

Could you please explain how it would be devaluing the normal dragons? As far as I see it, giving long-sitting eggs a moss-specific action would mean that these under-loved cave blockers would gain interest and be picked up more.

I like the idea of mossy eggs losing a day as long as they stay on the picker-upper's scroll, but I think it should be in conjunction with the MSA, not instead of it.

Edited by MessengerDragon

Just putting a thought out from a note in the OP... so there seems to be a problem with putting moss on adult and hatchling sprites. What if, instead of modifying the sprite itself, a small patch of moss was sprited that could be placed directly under the dragon, as if it was sitting/standing in a patch of moss? I know several dragons have flying poses and this suggestion might look strange with them, but perhaps something could be figured out...

Just a passing thought xd.png I'm no good at spriting or coding, so I don't know if any of this is even possible.

But anyway, I like the idea of MSAs and mossiness. I may come back if I get an idea for a new MSA - I think that if you plan to rotate them (for which ratios would seem like a good idea), then there should be five or so at least.

Oh and perhaps different colours of moss for the different MSAs? This would work best if it changed very subtly on the hatchie moss sprite and then more fully on the Adult moss, IMO... Perhaps a blue for the naptime, or yellow for something else? Different colours of moss do exist, after all.

I prefer mossy eggs having a day removed to having a BSA. I think a BSA overcomplicates things and it just not necessary.

Why does it have to be this way? lol

user posted image

Do you mind explaining how Mossy Eggs relate to mass-bred BBW? I thought the Mossy Eggs were eggs sitting in the biomes, not in the AP.

Edited by SullenCat

Just going to put my support onto this if I haven't already.

Also, I had a thought for adults: perhaps a mossy shadow-like underlay for the moss-affected sprites? Done right, it could make it look like the adult was on a patch of moss. However, this wouldn't work for Deep Seas, Waters, or any dragon with a flying pose. (Although I'm sure the latter could be seen as 'they're flying above it!')

i think only eggs should have any moss on their images, hatchlings and adults should be untouched.

now i think since we have the 5 min shuffle, an egg that sits out for at least 30 seconds should become mossy

Edited by CellyBean

i think only eggs should have any moss on their images, hatchlings and adults should be untouched.

now i think since we have the 5 min shuffle, an egg that sits out for at least 30 seconds should become mossy

That is FAR too short a time.

That is FAR too short a time.

I agree 30 seconds seems too short. However, I am kinda interested in seeing this thread start from scratch from another dedicated OP since the original suggestion is from 2011 and suggests five minutes as a good time... something that will no longer work since eggs shuffle every five minutes anyway.

Tbh, I'm not sure where I stand on this idea anymore or how many eggs would be impacted with what seem like reasonable choices to work within the 5 minute shuffle (1 minute sitting? 2.5 minutes sitting?). While I'm still interested in the base concept of "more useful BSAs" - is this still a useful suggestion in getting the cave moving considering current cave timing?

If you like, I could create a new OP?

I have a few ideas that I could outline, including at least one that would involve replacing the 5min shuffle, rather than including it.

Obviously most of the base ideas would be the same: egg turns 'mossy' when it sits in the biomes too long, gains green '!', and then can become a mossy version of the dragon it originally was.

If you like, I could create a new OP?

I have a few ideas that I could outline, including at least one that would involve replacing the 5min shuffle, rather than including it.

Obviously most of the base ideas would be the same: egg turns 'mossy' when it sits in the biomes too long, gains green '!', and then can become a mossy version of the dragon it originally was.

i rather not get rid of the 5 min shuffle tbh. instead why cant we have the 5 min shuffle and mossy eggs? say the egg turns mossy after three minutes and if anybody wants it they can pick it up otherwise it gets shuffled after 5 mins to show different eggs

It's simply that mossy eggs is a different idea, and could possibly work better in some ways without the shuffle. I want to put forward several different variations of the basic idea so that more, and more interesting, discussion can happen smile.gif

Anyway, if we want a new thread, I'm working on an OP to post up. PM me if you want to see my progress. I'll get it finished and posted as soon as a mod PM's me and asks me to do so or I see this thread closed smile.gif

Anyway, if we want a new thread, I'm working on an OP to post up. PM me if you want to see my progress. I'll get it finished and posted as soon as a mod PM's me and asks me to do so or I see this thread closed smile.gif

I wasn't demanding nor really even asking for a new topic. I was simply pointing out "the OP is a bit outdated, so if we do wish to continue discussing this topic, a new topic with an active OP might make more sense." If you want to create a new topic, that's fine. If you don't want to create a new topic, that's also fine. The choice is actually up to you.

As this thread was created several years ago and we have since gotten the five minute shuffle, this suggestion is now a bit out of date, so I am going to go ahead and close this thread.

If any user is still interested in this idea or sees the base problem as an issue and they have an idea they wish to suggest, they may create a new thread for it.