RheaZen

Current Thought Thread

The worst part about writing is having to look up all sorts of bizarre information. Like, I just learned there are no Build-a-Bear stores in Zurich or Stuttgart (actually, there don't seem to be any in Switzerland or Germany at all) and so now if I want to go on with my idea of my MCs going on a teddy bear making spree for Christmas (for a friend's 3-year-old that they feel the need to spoil), they're going to have to do so in London... and that's going to necessitate a charter flight to deliver the bears in time for Christmas. Fortunately, one of them is a commercial pilot (hence the "they're going to be here or there on any given date") and can presumably get a deal in order to use one of the company's small planes for the trip... but now I need to figure out just how small a plane would work for the flight in question in order for them to make the round trip in one day.

Edited by catstaff

47 minutes ago, catstaff said:

but now I need to figure out just how small a plane would work for the flight in question in order for them to make the round trip in one day.

Fairly small will do, methinks.

Why am I so tired today?

No, I will probably not crack a code that people have tried to crack for 70 years, especially since I don't really know how to do that.

(Oh, I should read that e-book about it that we have somewhere.)

That Zodiac killer thing required computers doing maths to the code millions of times. I can't do that. (I mean I could write a Perl script that does... things... and... then... uh... something happens? And suddenly I have a deciphered message? Uh-huh.)

Of course if the person writing the code happened to have a brain that worked similar to mine, I could find a solution that other people can't find because they just don't look at it the right way... Or if I guess correctly what a part of the message says, and nobody else guessed it before me... Because after reading one Wikipedia article about the case, I surely know enough to... um... nope. :P

7 hours ago, catstaff said:

The worst part about writing is having to look up all sorts of bizarre information.

you should see some of the posts in the NaNo group i'm in on Facebook - people ask all sorts of things.  there's even a thread asking "what's the weirdest thing you've ever looked up" and threads that are like "i just asked my significant other this really weird question and got the weirdest look and now i can't convince them it's for my story!!"  heh.

my boss may be weird at times, but snow day tomorrow! yay! :D 

13 minutes ago, trystan said:

you should see some of the posts in the NaNo group i'm in on Facebook - people ask all sorts of things.  there's even a thread asking "what's the weirdest thing you've ever looked up" and threads that are like "i just asked my significant other this really weird question and got the weirdest look and now i can't convince them it's for my story!!"  heh.

Oh, I believe it! I think one of the weirdest things I looked up was the exchange rate between US dollars, British pounds, and French francs in 1870, for an old Phantom of the Opera fanfic I wrote a few years back. This charter flight I'm contemplating for my current story is going from London to Joensuu, Finland and back, in December which might make a difference as to what equipment can handle the conditions. Joensuu does have regular international flights to and from Turkey, but they're seasonal rather than year-round and it looks as if the only year-round regular flights are strictly domestic to and from Helsinki. I was contemplating a Gulfstream G-IV or something similar, but now I'm not sure that's do-able given the probable snow on the ground. Gotta see if I can find out what Finnair uses on the Helsinki-Joensuu hop, I guess.

Craziest thing I ever asked my other half for a story was, "Honey, how would you go about dislocating my shoulder and breaking my collarbone while knocking me to the ground?" when I was trying to work out an assault scene for my published novel.

And woohoo for the snow day! My other half is getting one of those tomorrow as well.

Edited by catstaff

i... have no idea what the craziest thing i looked up or asked my husband about.  some of the stories i've written took place in a totally different world, and worldbuilding is always fun. :D 

also, yaay for published novels! :D 

Too many people awake and online. It's Sunday night.

Me. I have an excuse. Chronic sleep problems.

Do you ever look at Saltkin trades and just feel like a kid born to single mom in a bad neighborhood going to school with trust fund kids?

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

3 hours ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

Too many people awake and online. It's Sunday night.

Me. I have an excuse. Chronic sleep problems.

Do you ever look at Saltkin trades and just feel like a kid born to single mom in a bad neighborhood going to school with trust fund kids?

Oh heck yeah! I've been playing since Skywings were new (just missed the original Holly release, darn it!) but I can't draw worth beans, so no chance of spriting anything and having an alt of my own. And no prizes, either.

And related to nothing whatsoever, I think schools should be more creative in getting kids to pay attention in class, maybe by utilizing music. Especially Iron Maiden and Sabaton, as both bands cover history in their music. Heck, Sabaton has their own history channel on YouTube! I can picture it now, "Okay, class, today we're covering the Battle of Britain, so I we're going to start by listening to Aces High by Iron Maiden." Or, "Today we're talking about WWI aerial combat, so let's listen to Sabaton's The Red Baron."

3 hours ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

I want to go to sleep. 😴 

I also don't want to go to sleep. 😕 

Problems, i haz'em.

Sorry to hear that.

Sleep issues stink. I hate trying to stay up a little late to reset my body clock, only to fall asleep at the computer, nap for an hour or so, then wake up and be wide awake to the point that I can't sleep at bedtime.

That feeling when it seems like you have everything gathered together that you need - which means there must be something you're going to need later and won't have...

It takes a special kind of uncoordinated to cut one's leg on a pizza box. Apparently, I'm special.🙄

if this wind keeps up, it'll be hard to sleep. also, i ought to fix that tomorrow...

Since when did she have that phone number, and whose handwriting is it, and I should really stop thinking about this.

Sometimes when you're tired and hurting, you want someone else to take care of you and put you to bed like you're five again. 

As a writer, it's really encouraging to see the first story you're uploading to a new fanfic site get its first review even before you've uploaded all the chapters.

Edited by catstaff

Nope - apparently, I can't stop thinking about it. (Warning: photo of dead person. Rather harmless though. Just some guy not being alive.)

I really, really don't feel like cleaning the litter box. But it needs it, sigh.

3 hours ago, catstaff said:

I really, really don't feel like cleaning the litter box. But it needs it, sigh.

i have this thought every night.

but i also have 6 boxes.....(and 7 cats!)

I want to both read and sleep. Unfortunately, that old bit about putting a book under your pillow to absorb its info while you sleep is only wishful thinking.

2 hours ago, trystan said:

i have this thought every night.

but i also have 6 boxes.....(and 7 cats!)

Two cats is all my apartment complex allows. (And my other half thinks that's already too many cats, silly man!)

I wish I knew how I pulled something in my neck/shoulder area. It hurts no matter what position I try to relax in, and without knowing how I did it, I'll probably end up doing it again.

14 minutes ago, catstaff said:

Two cats is all my apartment complex allows. (And my other half thinks that's already too many cats, silly man!)

hubby is "trying" to get me to want yet another cat XD 

hubby says as long as he keeps saying "there's cats all over the place" we have enough cats XD