kiramaru7

What Do You Consider an Army?

I'd say you have an army of some breed if I'm scrolling down your scroll and at some point I'm like "whoa, this person has a ton of Guardians," or something like that.

I think haveing a army is like having a TON of a certian amount of dragon. Me personally i have a huge addiction in collecting paper smile.gif i will trade pretty much any thing for papers golds silvers even chickens for papers. i have right around 100 paper at the moment and i am still collecting and wanting more. A army is just what you call your hording of a certian dragon.

I have 40-something reds and 30-something silvers, and I think of -them- as armies. Over 100? I need to get cracking! xd.png Of course nowdays, it'd be much easier to have armies of the caveblockers--spitfires, whiptails, canopies, electrics...

I have two major "armies".

I have my main pebble army, which is my pride and joy. <3

That one consists of around 200 pebbles at the moment. I haven't counted or organized them recently, but doing so isn't exactly a small task anyways so that's understandable.

I also have a nifty water walker army which is much smaller. It's my "up and coming" army. I think at the moment it's hovering around 50.

I've also unintentionally collected large groups of dragons (such as my red horde or vampire coven), but that's harder to do.

I've given my opinion on what numbers I automatically categorize as an "army", but I always set the goal much higher for myself.

For myself, an army is not "complete" until it hits 100.

Anything below that is "in progress".

Edited by Pink

Here are a couple old screenshots of my "armies":

user posted image

user posted image

My screen isn't big enough to take pictures of those two anymore, so...yeah. If your alternate custom sort looks like that, it's an army.

I have 88 Canopies and 127 Nocturnes. I don't want any more of them (although maybe someday I'll round out the Canopies to an even 100). These are examples of armies of dragons where someone just has a lot of them, not for any particular love of the breed. It is cool having them tho'.

The closest I have to this in other dragons is 53 regular Blacks and 30 Storms. All things considered, I actually want armies of Blacks and Storms, so I think, perhaps, I will try to make them. I really do love both, and not just for the rareness--three of my favorite dragons I have are Blacks and Storms.

but dragons are bigger than people by far, so 150,000 people army is what 10 dragons tongue.gif

I think anything over 30 to be an army, could you imagine 30 dragons surrounding you? even the smallest dragon is huge wink.gif

but like someone else said...to someone with under 500 dragons

an army can be small

to those of us over 1000,

30 isn't so much anymore wink.gif

Thanks, kiramaru7! Moved to SD for further discussion. <3

You're welcome! This is turning out to be a really good discussion. Thanks to everyone who's added their thoughts on what makes an "army." biggrin.gif

Wow, thought I was growing some armies, but I guess according to you guys I'm not. Ah, well.

I would love an army badge! It'd be cool if you could have one for each different breed you have an army of, but that would probably be too complicated. I don't have any armies yet, but I'm working on a personal lineage project and I'll end up with 99 balloon dragons, so I'm sure that will be an army.

Oh, and I plan on having a cheese army, too. I'd love to have a full page on my scroll of cheese dragons.

For the badge, I think 100 would be a good number. That way, no matter what, you would have to at least have a bronze trophy.

even the smallest dragon is huge wink.gif

Well, pygmies are actually housecat size, so they're not so huge. =P

I would love an army badge! It'd be cool if you could have one for each different breed you have an army of, but that would probably be too complicated.

It could be one general badge shown on the scroll, but when you click on it(just like the easter egg basket), you can see all of the different earned badges for different dragon species on a special army badge page.

I'd think I'd like to see evolving badges.. the first 50 of a species the badge is small picture of the dragon species with a bronze circle or square border around it. When you hit 100 of that species, the border color changes to silver. When you hit 200, the color changes to gold.

Wow, thought I was growing some armies, but I guess according to you guys I'm not. Ah, well.

Don't give up!

Give yourself time and enjoy the fun as you go. There's no rule that says 10 isn't an army. There's no rule that gives specific numbers. One day you'll count your dragons of a certain breed and say "Wow, I've got an army of those!"

It's like when you get your numbers badges. You know you're close then suddenly you look and a badge is there.

My small armies are nothing compared to some, but they suit me and do what I need done as far as BSAs and satisfaction go.

Regarding the badges for "armies": Is there even a widget or any way to count the number you have of each breed? Many of my breeds are scattered, a few pinks here, a half dozen reds there, so I would just like to see a counter for the different breeds.

I think an army kinda needs to be an obsession, but not always, Also, not all obsessions are armies. I've have a few DC Obsessions, starting with my cheese dragons. I have 17 frozen cheese dragons (I refuse to collect adults) and it became difficult to name them and I also just kinda got tired of them. I want to eventually get to 19 though. My next obsession was the frozen S1 dinos. This was before freezing kept them at the state they were frozen. I never had any grow up on me, but some were close. I think one of them would have grown up if the new S1 freezing hadn't come around at the time it did. I began liking them after I was gifted a purple dino in a giveaway thread because I didn't have any. I didn't want it at first, but then asked if it was okay to freeze it. That started off a small obsession and the way the dinosaurs are named. I need one more blue, green, yellow, and red to have my set though.

I also have had other obsessions including my personal mint lineage and my sudden like for stones and dorsals and their names. I'm still collecting and breeding them, but I'm not really obsessed and I don't have armies of them.

I am also interested in massive lineaged and inbred splits. I don't think I will ever get tired of those and I find it rather hard to pass up a really messy split lineage in the AP.

I do have a rather small army of magis and I don't think I'm ever going to get tired of them. When I first started, they were the one dragon I wanted. I didn't know how to use fansites then and I only ended up with a frozen magi. After returning, I was able to get an adult after a month. She is forever paired up with my sweetling.

My army is not near big enough and I will continue amassing orange dragons and continuing several personal lineages in them.

As for how my obsession with them goes:

I find it hard for me to pass up another CB one

I find it hard to pass up an egg on the AP even if it only has less than a day taken off its time.

I traded a bronze for a dozen CB magi hatchlings

I personally think they look good with everything in lineages

I would probably not like it if their sprite changed or if they got dimorphism.

I still miss that ER magi egg I gave to someone to experiment on about 4 months ago.

Magis wear fedoras, but only when you are not looking.

My Splits. biggrin.gif I have 106 adults and when I reached 1000 dragons I made sure my 1000th was a Split.

user posted image lol army badge.

I have a couple three breeds I consider I have armies of. One is my stripes. I have 85 counting the 4 eggs I currently have. Stripes are my current favorite dragon breed.

I also consider I have armies of silvers and golds, though I only have about 30 golds and a few less silvers. They count as armies in my mind because of their rarity and the difficulty getting them. I love anything shiny! I hope my tinsels become an army. (it's the whole shiny thing again)

I don't count my reds are a real army yet, though I have 49 of them. I like them very well, but the biggest reason I focused on collecting them was for Incubate. I guess I don't count the reds because of the reason I have so many. My growing number of pinks and purples fall into the same category.

My Walkers will never be an army, because I'm naming them after famous Tennessee Walkers. They will eventually be a herd though! (I only have 12 so far.)

I tend to think of anymore than 25 or 30 as an "army".

I consider 50+ to be an army. I don't plan on working on my white army for a while, not until my even gen project(s) is/are done.

Well, pygmies are actually housecat size, so they're not so huge. =P

you have't seem my uncle's housecat

ROFL

but really blink.gif thought they were bigger blink.gif

you have't seem my uncle's housecat

ROFL

but really blink.gif thought they were bigger blink.gif

From the original pygmy's description:

"Pygmy dragons are the smallest breed of true dragons, being the size of a small cat."

More on-topic...

I have 27 nebula dragons now...I suppose that's an army considering my account age and how hard they were to get until recently. And I hope to get even more.

But I really, REALLY want an army of autumn seasonals.

I'm working on getting an army of Deep Seas, but so far I've been too distracted with other eggs. :< I need more egg slots.

If I have an army, it's my gray dragons. I currently have... 82 adults, and 3 hatchlings and 2 eggs. I almost always have at least one gray egg or hatchling growing on my scroll. Most of the time several.

I love them because:

The sprites are beautiful, both the males and females.

Gray goes with everything!

They're always fairly easy to breed or catch.

Whenever I have room and nothing in particular I need, I go to the AP and pick up all the gray eggs and look at their lineages. I keep the pretty ones (particularly fond of silver x gray) and make lineages out of them, like this or this.

I don't have 100 yet, but I'm sure I will soon.

Everyone, of course, sets there own individual marker as to what they consider an "army" of any breed to be. Some might consider 50 an army some 100 or some even more. Personally, I feel that you can call it an army when it has reached one hundred of the particular preferred breed. I'm still working hard to get my 100 vamps. biggrin.gif

Edited by Misha

If I have an army, it's my gray dragons. I currently have... 82 adults, and 3 hatchlings and 2 eggs. I almost always have at least one gray egg or hatchling growing on my scroll. Most of the time several.

I love them because:

The sprites are beautiful, both the males and females.

Gray goes with everything!

They're always fairly easy to breed or catch.

Whenever I have room and nothing in particular I need, I go to the AP and pick up all the gray eggs and look at their lineages. I keep the pretty ones (particularly fond of silver x gray) and make lineages out of them, like this or this.

I don't have 100 yet, but I'm sure I will soon.

Wow, that Silver x Fog is beautiful. <3 Could you breed me a sibling sometime? ^^

Mm, generally I consider over 30 an army, unless they're bsa-slaves.

So I have an army of vampires and black hatchlings.