kiramaru7

What Do You Consider an Army?

I have a question about the the term "army." I've seen it used to refer to a large number of a particular breed, and I was wondering what the exact amount is for you. Do you have other specifications for what an army must be (like the dragon, non-BSA, etc.)? Do you have any armies? Working towards any?

~

I have over a hundred blacks that seems like an army, but I also have 74 waters, and a few other breeds that are somewhere in the 20 to 30 dragon range. Are those all armies? Or does my dozen crimson pygmies also count as an army?

The reason I'm asking, besides my goal of getting at least a 100 of my favorite breeds, is my friend who also plays & I were saying it would be nice if we got an army badge (she's a programmer & says it wouldn't be too hard to code if they ever decide to do it) for having a certain amount of a particular breed on our scrolls. Totally "what if" but fun to play around with in out heads. Again I ask, how many is an army?

Thanks in advance for any and all help in this matter.

Thanks for letting me 'refine' the first post a tad, kiramaru7. <3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Having an army of some dragon breed(s) just means you have a lot of them. I don't think there is an exact number for determining whether you have an army of a certain breed; I know I go by whether I have more of x dragon breed than all the other y dragon breeds. |D

The number is however many or little you consider it to be. You could declare yourself to have an army of blacks and water dragons; it's just up to you.

I personally think the definition of army isn't how many you have of that breed, but rather the constant need to obtain more of that breed. An army of reds could be 50, or 1000 or 5000, but it's more related to the need to always hoard them. In my opinion anyway.

I count anything over 20 to constitute an army. But as others said, it varies from person to person xd.png

I have over a hundred blacks that seems like an army, but I also have 74 waters, and a few other breeds that are somewhere in the 20 to 30 dragon range. Are those all armies? Or does my dozen crimson pygmies also count as an army?

If you are willing to give rares away in exchange for yet another common you LOVE to collect then you have an army of that common LOL. Army = breed addiction

Like the others said, it's mainly an addiction to the breed.

Although in all technicality, I'd refer to any collection larger than say... 30, an "army".

I should know, I have 200 and something pebbles lying around looking grumpy.

._.

Edited by Pink

Agreed, an "army" isn't a specific amount. I think loose ways to define one are what ThatDeadGirl said, and having significantly more of the army breed than other breeds that you don't hoard.

Personally, I have my army of mint(ion)s. Current count is 37, including the hatchie tongue.gif

I also have an army of reds at 28 (by necessity of Incubate) and an army of vines at 23 normals (from keeping my alt-fails). Just to give you one person's numbers.

Of course, then there's the term small army. I'd define that as having a noticeable amount more than other breeds, but you don't actively seek them. Or you're just starting to collect them, hence the army is still small.

Different strokes for different folks.

maybe this should become a new discussion topic....? I'd like one.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. It's obvious people want to share. I think when the OP comes back and sees all these answers, if they're okay with it, I might just pop this over to SD, as it's got some good posts in it already. The original post might need a bit of re-wording for a discussion rather than help question, though. ^^

~

Wow, I feel grandiose, lol. I'm someone who considers an army 100+ of something. x3 I have 47 balloons, but it won't be an army until I get at least 100. To me, anyway.

So yes, Whatever you consider an army to be, it could be an army. :3

So much of this depends on personal perception. xd.png

If you think of it in world military terms, tiny countries may have tiny armies and large countries have large armies. Some of it may depend on their "power". Is your army all BSA breeds? Or big Reds? Or stealthy mints? Is it full of "glory"? Is it an army of Vampires?

This could turn into a a great discussion of quality vs. quantity as well as numbers in general.

If this gets moved to SD, I'll offer pictures of my definition of "army". In the mean time, I'd add that it doesn't have to be dragons you just love, it could be dragons you have a lot of for one reason or another. If it takes time to scroll past them and the best way to count them is with alternate custom sort, it's probably an army.

Yep, there's really no set definition for an army. If you like a breed, go for it! smile.gif

For me it also depends on the rarity of the breed. For example, if I had 10 Golds I would call it a (small) army but I wouldn't call 10 Stones or Dorsals an army.

My armies are armies because they have something n common. I have breed armies... lineage armies (Space chickens!) lyric armies.. and as of the last two months.. lyric lineage armies.

I lost count of the dragons I have for each species but for me, my golds and silvers would now be considered an army... my vamps, maybe my blacks, magis, reds, splits and I'm working on the pygmies (the original ones) and my frozen blacks separately...

Really I just consider an army something of the amount that doesn't seem normal on my scroll... so that would be more than four or something xd.png I don't know, I just consider the ones I listed an army...

My 144 mints (and one egg) are an army (or fetish, depending on who you talk to! xd.png) for me. However, I also have 136 whites and have never used the term army when referring to them. It's definitely a matter of personal opinion.

I think my 90+ PB & CB nebulas are on their way to becoming an army, although I have gifted some of their children (those that didn't fit into my lineage). My alternate nick is CrazyNebLady for a reason biggrin.gif

While I wouldn't neccessarily trade low-gen metals for them, I just can't keep my fingers off CB nebs. It's hard to imagine that I would ever stop collecting them. I'm hunting for 'em whenever I'm unlocked and keep an eye on most trades. Besides Neglecteds they are my absolute favourite - and 4 ND's do not (yet) an army make. tongue.gif

The 20 reds on my scroll are merely "Incubrats" and I don't think I have more than a handful of any other breed.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. It's obvious people want to share. I think when the OP comes back and sees all these answers, if they're okay with it, I might just pop this over to SD, as it's got some good posts in it already. The original post might need a bit of re-wording for a discussion rather than help question, though. ^^

~

Wow, I feel grandiose, lol. I'm someone who considers an army 100+ of something. x3 I have 47 balloons, but it won't be an army until I get at least 100. To me, anyway.

So yes, Whatever you consider an army to be, it could be an army. :3

Sock, if you want to move this to SD, I'm fine with it. I don't know what I'd do to reword the original post, so if you wish to refine it, that's also fine with me. biggrin.gif

To everyone that replied, thanks for doing so! biggrin.gif It would seem I do, in fact, possess a few armies. xd.png Although I like to jokingly refer to my waters as my fleet. ;p

Then I guess I don't need to add that 136 spitfires (and hoping to at least quadruple or better that with a particular project I'm working on) isn't an army, it's a way of life. xd.png

I agree, an army could be a collective hoard...if you are addicted to a certain breed and continuously collecting them/have a lot but have stopped collecting them, that seems like it would be an army wink.gif And I also agree that this would make a great topic in Site Discussion.

Oh, hello, second page...that was unintentional.

Edited by glamoursea2

like said above it all depends on what you think of it. the dicionary deffinition of groups is found here

http://secondworldwar.co.uk/index.php/army...y-units-a-sizes

so for a 'true' army you need 100,000 to 150,000 dragons

I laughed at this happy.gif

To stay on topic: it is all opinion, and also based on how many dragons you have total. For a new user, ten reds might be an army. For someone with more dragons, 300 would be an army.

I laughed at this happy.gif

To stay on topic: it is all opinion, and also based on how many dragons you have total. For a new user, ten reds might be an army. For someone with more dragons, 300 would be an army.

I agree with this. I have a curled alt "army". But I know my numbers aren't close to other peoples "armies" it all really depends on what *you* think a army is.

I agree with army meaning an addiction to a breed. I consider myself to have an army of Whites, Trios, and Cheese hatchies because I love all of them.

I also have an army of Reds but that is just because I am addicted to Incubating, so again, it leads to addiction. xd.png