TwilightMoonDragon

Warriors: War of The Roses

Brightwish looked at the rising moon. The deputy had to be announced by moonhigh. Closing her eyes, she knew Nightpaw had to receive her name. The next day was the half-moon, and that's the time she'd go down to the Moonpool and ask StarClan to recognize Nightpaw by her new name. There was the new worry about that warrior's kits, too. The Clevershadows would steal the strong and kill the weak. It wasn't right, but what could she do?

Then it hit her.

((Her idea hit her, not something else))

Streakflame, in the underground camp under WindClan's camp, was stifling yowls of pain. She was giving birth to her kits, and nobody was around. The only one who was awake was her mate, but he was on guard duty, and she couldn't ask him to get a medicine cat.

As the next contraction passed, she let out a loud breath. How could be kitting be so painful?!

Rainshadow heard a muffled sigh. Turning, he left his post and padded to check on him mate, freezing in suprise as he saw Streakflame looking at him with exausted eyes. At her belly, suckling, were two kits. Padding forward slowly, he touched noses with her. "They're beautiful." he mewed softly.

Streakflame nodded, closing her eyes. "What should we name them?" she whispered.

Looking at the kits, Rainshadow laid down next to her. "I think the black and white one should be Angelkit." he suggested.

Streakflame nodded. "And how about Snowkit for the silver tabby?" she whispered.

Licking Streakflame between her ears, he murmured, "They're perfect."

Edited by Kamiko_Cullen

Yewstar looked around at the cats, awe not only on their faces but his own. His eyes drifted to Silverpelt, as if asking for aid. The clouds parted, revealing the moon. He climbed wearily to the highest rock in camp. "I say these words before StarClan, that the spirits of our warrior ancestors may hear and approve of my choice. The new deputy of RiverClan is Venomstrike." He called loudly. There were murmurs and looks towards the new Deputy, but he paid them no mind. For, now he saw a body he wished he had never laid eyes on. The aging tom walked to where his friend lay. Oaktail had been an angry tom, but he still considered the cat his friend. Yewstar pressed his nose into Oaktail's pelt, saying a prayer to StarClan for the tom.

Pikeclaw was shaking. It was a mixture of anger and despair. His mentor and leader had died, all due to the tom who was, until now, thought to be evil. His eyes connected with his mother's. He conveyed all of his anger, confusion and sorrow in that one glance. "I don't regret for one minute the time I spent learning from Yellowstar." He said quietly.

Mossfang felt Froststripe's claws slash through her ears. Shaking her head and sending drops of blood flying everywhere, Mossfang raised her claws to prepare to land the final blow on the weakened traitor. Before she could slash open Froststripe's throat, however, Mossfang felt a large brown tabby tom smash into her side. She was thrown to the cold, bloodsoaked grass, looking wildly around for her attacker. She spotted him, though as she looked Mossfang realized that the battle was over. Leaving Froststripe behind, Mossfang padded over to the group of cats. She saw Yellowstar, dead. Yewberry had been victorious. The battle was over. But no... it wasn't. There was still one cat undecided on which side he was on, and one cat could make a difference in war. "Remember your loyalties, Pikeclaw! Yellowstar may be dead, but his dream lives on!" Mossfang shouted over the heads of the crowd. She had always thought Pikeclaw would be a great warrior, and now was the moment of truth. Not on the battlefield, no, great warriors didn't necessarily have to be great fighters. To be a great warrior, cats had to show where their loyalties are.

Venomstrike's eyes widened when Yewstar said that she would be the new deputy. What? She... was the new deputy. Could that... be possible? She was going to question Yewstar but then he went over to Oaktail, who was lying in a puddle of his own blood. The newly named deputy flattened her ears, and turned toward Pikeclaw. "I don't care if you don't regret it," she hissed. "But I don't want to hear you speak about Yewstar like that again."

Drizzlefrost purred happily as Venomstrike was chosen to be deputy. But she narrowed her eyes as Mossfang spoke up. She hissed at her and mewed, "Yellowstar is dead, in the Dark Forest, where he belongs. Stop wishing for him to come back. He was a foxheart and tarnished our own Clan." She then turned to Pikeclaw and meowed angrily, "Don't even talk to her PikeClaw. You are much better than that. Join the loyal members of our Clan."

Honeystar paced around anxiously as Streakflame was birthing. When she thought it was the right time, she entered the secret tunnel and purred to Streakflame and Rainshadow. "What are their names?"

Pikeclaw's fur crawled. His own family was turning against him. His angry eyes glared pointedly at Venomstrike, clearly showing his choice for rebellion against his mother. Next, his sharp glare turned sharply to Drizzlefrost. "Mossfang is just as loyal as any other cat," He hissed. "Perhaps more so than others." Pikeclaw wasn't sure if this was the best choice, but he was angry and confused and hurt. The only cats he knew not to lie to him had been Yellowstar and Mossfang. Now Venomstrike and Drizzlefrost tried to convince him that he was lied to. It was too much to accept.

Yewstar raised his weary eyes to Venomstrike and sighed. Pikeclaw still stood defiantly near Yellowstar's body. He walked to Venomstrike's side. His tail touched her shoulder as he stepped in front of her to face Pikeclaw on his own. "Venomstrike, I don't want you to choose who this warrior will like and who he will not. That is for him to decide. It is perfectly fine with me if he does not like me, one of my greatest friends hated me for many moons. If he chooses not to like me, then so be it. I will not try and sway him," He turned now, facing Venomstrike. "Where is Brightwish? There are many wounded cats. Please, find her. I will rally the wounded. With, the help of these two young warriors." His tail waved pointedly towards Pikeclaw, who received the command with more anger but no disobedience, and Drizzlefrost.

Edited by Kokay

Drizzlefrost was extremely confused. How could Pikeclaw think that? "Don't you know the history of Yellowstar?" She then heard Yewstar ask for Brightwish. She dipped her head and walked over to Pikeclaw's side. "Come," she said, sweeping her tail across his shoulder. When she was a distance from the others she stopped and mewed, "How could you think that?" Instead of waiting for an answer, she padded onwards to the medicine cat den.

Edited by dragcave:D

Pikeclaw felt Drizzlefrost's tail. He wasn't normally an angry tom. He was actually a naturally happy cat. He loved to run and often raced other cats for no reason. But, now he was upset and confused. "Drizzlefrost, why would you think that way? I was taught thoroughly by Yellowstar. He told me things about this Clan that you don't know or seem to understand. One of which is the evils of Yewberry. Er-Yewstar that is," He muttered. His anger was wearing off slowly. "I don't understand why no cat other than Mossfang and I recall why Yellowstar was our leader in the first place."

Drizzlefrost looked at him. He had indeed been tricked by Yellowstar. She took a deep breath and then said, "Yellowstar was only our leader because he appointed himself. There was a great fight when we were born between Yellowstar," she choked out the name, "and Yewstar. Yellowstar was only our leader from the Dark Forest. You know that, don't you?" She looked sharply at him. Why didn't he know all this? Or why didn't he remember it?

"That's a lie. Yewstar was wrong to challenge Yellowstar. He came when our Clan was on the brink of collapse. Briarstar, the leader at that time, was sick and dying. He knew that Yewstar was far too violent to be a leader and so took his place to help keep RiverClan intact. StarClan didn't condone it because he was from ShadowClan so he asked for the Dark Forest's help in order to keep the four Clans in existence." Pikeclaw spoke with knowledge about what he said. Every word that sprung from his mouth was truth, in a twisted fashion. It was clear to see where things had been reworded to make Yellowstar sound like a savior, but it was also clear that every word was truth. All of it history that they, as newborn kits, would never had remembered about the coup.

"What?! Are you a mouse-brain? Yewstar... violent? You say that after hearing Yellowstar taunt him during their battle." She flexed her paws and looked voer her should to make sure nobody could hear them arguing. "You think the Dark Forest would care about the existence of the Clan excepting the Clevershadows? You think that somebody who abandoned their own Clan to interfere with another's business is worthy of the title of star? You think that Yellowstar would have saved you in battle if Yewstar had gone for you instead?"

Riverpool stayed next to Yewstar, trembling. She pressed herself slightly against him, very scared at the moment. She was sad that Yellowstar had died but she was still quite scared herself and a bit surprised. She trembled again.

Buzzardclaw was an... interesting tom. He was kind-hearted, really he was, but he quite enjoyed picking on other cats. Honestly, he was a kit at heart. He often romped and wrestled and played along with the best of them, but quick as a flash could turn quite protective. He had a muddy brown coat with darker stripes and strange white markings that looked rather out of place. His most distinctive feature, however, was the lack of tail on his rump. This, of course, was one of his most popular things to tell the kits. He didn't really like the kits per say, but he had a kind of big-brother relationship to most cats, no matter how young or old. He wouldn't hesitate to poke fun at others, no matter how big or strong.

Currently the tom was telling one of his tales to himself, practicing it. "I was a kit, walking in the woods alone after sneaking out of camp. Suddenly, to my right, I heard a soft sound, something that could just pass as wind through the trees. But somehow I knew it was more than that. And then there it stood in front of me, a huge slobbering beast with red glowing eyes and long black hair. But it's teeth were huge and yellow. I fought long and hard and managed to claw it's eyes out, but it grabbed hold of my tail and wouldn't let go. I bravely pulled him over to a tree that was getting ready to fall and let it crash upon his body as I went just out of the tree's great berth. His head was the only part of him not crushed on impact, so he had just enough life in him to chomp down and then... then my tail was gone," he whispered, nodding. He of course purred and congratulated Venomstrike when she was chosen to be deputy, and cocked his head at the young little tom Pikeclaw. He was an interesting character. Chuckling to himself, Buzzardclaw lay down and closed his eyes into happy slits as he looked at the rest of the clan.

"Shut up, Drizzlefrost. You don't know anything. Listen to me," Pikeclaw snapped. He sighed and shook his head, calming himself as best as he could. "Now, Yellowstar had to leave. He saw that if RiverClan was gone, then the forest would be unbalanced. So, he came to bring order to our Clan. Yewstar had attacked him as soon as he came. That is violent. Yellowstar did not kill him though, and instead allowed the tom to leave with the other vicious cats that had attacked him."

Yewstar felt Riverpool press her side against him. He pulled back from her and looked her in the eyes. "Riverpool, it is all over now. You need to help me find injured cats and bring them to Brightwish." He flicked his tail at her and left, ignoring every word that came from Pikeclaw's mouth. It was all true, just twisted.

Nightpaw was in the medicine den, tending to her own leg. A small ThunderClan apprentice who couldn't have been more than 6 moons old had mistaken her for a rouge and attacked her, leaving her hind leg broken and bloody. She chewed a paste of marigold and spread it on the wound, then patched it up with some cobweb and binded her leg with a large, smooth leaf. Wincing at the pain, she limped out of the den and looked around, distraught at how many lifeless bodies were strewn around. She didn't see Brightwish anywhere, so in her absence, she called out "Any injured cat who can walk, make your way to Brightwishes den. ThunderClan, you too. I'll help the rest of you in a moment."

Edited by ShinyDazzlight

Venomstrike frowned unhappily at Pikeclaw and Drizzlefrost. Hopefully, Pikeclaw won't turn her mind to mush like he was. Venomstrike gathered all of the ThunderClan and RiverClan cats that she could find and herded them toward Nightpaw's medicine den. "Yewstar," she mewed softly, pressing up against her leader. "What will we do if we see rogues on our territory?"

Brightwish came back from collecting marigold, placed the new leaves in a space out of the way, and picked the older ones up. "Nightpaw, I don't want you to help me. You're clearly not fit to help right now." she mewed gently. "You may rest in my nest for now."

Turning to the injured, she started making poultices for the injured.

Streakflame looked at Honeystar, her eyes full of weariness. "Snowkit and Angelkit." she murmured hoarsely. Her fur was matted and she was clearly tired.

Rainshadow nodded to Honeystar as he exited the underground camp. He was reluctant to leave his mate, but the camp just had to be guarded. What if the clevershadows came and stole his kits?

Nightpaw opened her mouth, about to protest, but thought better of it and dipped her head. "Yes, Brightwish. Thank you." She yawned and headed back into the den, limping towards the back where Brightwish's nest was. With another yawn, she winced and curled up into the nest, exhaustion taking over her as she drifted into sleep.

--

Firestrike sat up and headed towards the medicine den after hearing Nightpaw's order. He had escaped the battle relatively unharmed - he only had a few shallow scratches and a nick in his ear. He thought about staying out and leaving his wounds untreated, for there were many cats with injuries much worse than his, but he knew how the medicine cats could get if he decided to disobey them. With a huff, he trotted the rest of the way to the den, and sat down to clean himself up when he got there.

Brightwish looked at Firestrike. "Stay still. It will sting, but it's better than getting an infection." she ordered. As soon as the warrior had done that, she applied the poultice to the stratches and his ear. Putting some cobweb over the wounds to keep the marigold on, she turned to the next patient.

((ah! lost again. is it okay for my cat just to die somehow? because this is getting confusing. thx to anyone who kills her.))

Yewstar sighed and lowered his head. "I suppose we will have to run them off the territory. I can't imagine they'll stay for much more than half a moon. If they do, I'm sure Bear... No, never mind." He sighed, shaking his head. He had lost two close friends during the coup. Now his heart was weak, more so than his tired body. He turned to face Venomstrike. She appeared to be tired too. With a small smile, he pressed against her side. "If you're tired, sleep. I can handle watching the Clan for the rest of the night." He said softly. In truth, he was terribly weakened by the fight and was barely standing up, but he was the leader of RiverClan now and had to appear strong.

Venomstrike rolled her eyes and shook her head. "No, Yewstar, you have to sleep." she mewed, purring lightly. "You just killed a tyrant, and recieved eight lives from StarClan. You lost two close friends. I'll stay awake for the night. Just you see, it'll be ten heartbeats before sunrise." she smiled and pressed against him as well. "Go ahead to your den. Briarstar is proud of you, I promise."

Yewstar purred happily for a moment. Venomstrike was good to him. She was a loyal cat whom he'd know since kit-hood. It was relieving to know that another cat really understood his relationship with Briarstar. It was more a father-son relationship than it was a Leader-Deputy relationship. He dipped his head thankfully at Venomstrike. "Thank you. I can only hope that the other cats of this Clan will accept my return as warmly as you have. Er," He stopped and glanced back at the only tom who seemed to be upset other than another female. "Who is that young tom?"

Buzzardclaw stood up and walked over to Pikeclaw and Drizzlefrost, actually interested in what the tom had to say. "You weren't there before Yellowstar, were you? Well, before Yellowstar everyone was was pretty happy. Yellowstar was from Shadowclan, so of course we went to attack an invading war party. But do tell your side of the story, I really do find it quite intriguing," he meowed, nodding and flicking his ears as he sat down and looked at the other tom with intense green eyes. Letting out a loud yawn, he nodded again, really wanting to understand the other cat's perspective instead of just tell him flat out that he was wrong.

Riverpool nodded, looking at Yewstar "Okay" she meowed and then went off, looking off for any injured cats. She was lucky because she only got a long scratch along her flank which was bleeding but it was not too bad. She yawned once, quiet tired and she had fought.