TheDarkCynder

Mature rated games and underage gamers.

Maturity level is a very hard thing to quantify. But I can guarantee you 8/9/10/11/12 year olds should NOT be playing games like GTA where you can mass murder whoever you want just for the helluvit. There comes a point when, yes, you can separate a game from real life. But it takes some maturity level and life experience that reaches beyond most preteens to do that. You can't just say "hurpdeedurp I'm 15 I can play whatever the flip I want because I'm hardcore and I'm a gamer and I cuss a lot in game lobbies"... no. You shouldn't even own this game. Srsly. If you don't have the maturity level to NOT swear profusely when you die, or at least to disconnect your mic if you feel the need to swear, you don't need to be playing games like that. Protip of the week: Playing M rated games does NOT, in fact, make you cool. Not even close.

...I swear a lot when I die or screw up. And I'm 18 ;~;

Most of the M-rated games I play are single player. I don't play games like GTA, but ones that have a nice story and interaction with the player like Mass Effect or Dragon Age does. The few times I do give in and jump into a multi-player game, I don't curse, scream, or yell. I have quite a few friends, most of which are adults, and they enjoy spending time with me.

Do I think I should play any game in the world? Of course not.

Do I think I can handle mildly mature RPGs? Sure. Do I think it's immature for me to think this? Not really. If I didn't think I could handle it, I wouldn't be playing it.

Half my school's "coolness" scale is based on games. if you play halo and have online. your cool. if you can almost perfectly describe a mission in mass effect, your cool. Now am a preteen by about a year and I say GTA is for people that watch Texas chainsaw massacre because they laugh at the "awesome" way the guy kills somebody. that guy can play GTA. but if an adult gets scared each time a dog falls down a well. That guy should barely be able to play hello kitty games. now out there are some messed up kids because they played GTA at like 9. one guy constantly made cock joke each and every day. GTA could be the worst possible game series for people under 20. I assure you that many kids in the world have been mested up just because of GTA.

Edited by 9pmg5665

Eh. I watched my mom play GTA when I was like, ten. I thought it looked kind of cool and fun, but simply because it was a video game and that was stuff I had never seen in a video game before. I think she let me try it when I was like, 13, but I didn't have the patience for the storyline but got bored running around stabbing people. I just liked running from the cops, that was the best part for me.

But hey, I'm perfectly sane now D:

Most of the M-rated games I play are single player. I don't play games like GTA, but ones that have a nice story and interaction with the player like Mass Effect or Dragon Age does. The few times I do give in and jump into a multi-player game, I don't curse, scream, or yell. I have quite a few friends, most of which are adults, and they enjoy spending time with me.

Do I think I can handle mildly mature RPGs? Sure. Do I think it's immature for me to think this? Not really. If I didn't think I could handle it, I wouldn't be playing it.

That kind of response shows a certain level of maturity. theres just certain games that, lets face it, shouldn't even be played by adults, much less preteens.

I'm surprised the GTA series still gets flack these days. Hating on Rockstar was soooo 2000 =)

I honestly believe that the hype of violent video games influencing children, promoting bad behavior, etc. does more to encourage kids than to create caution. In the mid 1990's no one cared if you mentioned playing Twisted Metal to your friends. Nowadays violent games have the allure and excitement of:

"Ooh this is that game everyone says is so violent and scars you for life, I wonder what it's like..."

"This is that hot game the news said encouraged those kids to shoot up that school, I've got to try it out myself."

"Apparently this is the game parents are boycotting and is banned in Australia, wonder if I can handle it."

The media just glorifies the "bad" aspects of games and makes them more irresistible to curious kids. Then again, they do that with any topic they happen to touch-- nothing new there =P

user posted image

Does it increase violent crimes? probably not. Does it effect kids other ways? Yes. Take a look at my cousin sometime -.-

Guys, I'm more scared of CSI, Hospital Shows, And other stuff like that than I am of Zombies. I mean, those shows are *real* life shows, even if the blood is fake (CSI). apBut I hate scary movies >.> I mean, zombies aren't actually reL and zombies most likey won't be real.

...I swear a lot when I die or screw up. And I'm 18 ;~;

I personally understand swearing in frustration. I don't usually do so while gaming myself, but if I've failed in a particularly spectacular manner for the billionth time in a row, I might swear, or if somebody is really pissing me off. I think it's different from the people who yell "[long string of expletives, crude slang for male and female reproductive organs, racial slurs, and sexual slurs]" that's clearly directed at somebody who happens to be doing better--perhaps for killing them, or not failing where they failed, whatever.

But you're one of those ones that is mature enough, it seems. If you really are mature enough, you'll know it and you'll feel you can handle such games. However, not everybody who thinks they're mature enough really ARE mature enough.

I personally understand swearing in frustration. I don't usually do so while gaming myself, but if I've failed in a particularly spectacular manner for the billionth time in a row, I might swear, or if somebody is really pissing me off. I think it's different from the people who yell "[long string of expletives, crude slang for male and female reproductive organs, racial slurs, and sexual slurs]" that's clearly directed at somebody who happens to be doing better--perhaps for killing them, or not failing where they failed, whatever.

Yeah, it's more of if I screw up some how or get myself killed, I'll say, "Aw, censorkip.gif." or "Goddamnit! ARGH!" or "You little censorkip.gif*!" But that's at the game and partly myself, and it's not like I scream it at the top of my lungs. It's more in exasperation than in pure and utter RAEG.

And if I'm playing with someone, sometimes I'll joking say, "You ass!" if I mess up or they do something or whatever. But I don't get personal or like, crazy with my cussing. v_v

I didn't touch any of the mature-rated games when I was a kid because I knew my parents wouldn't allow it. However, when my sister decided to give me her old Genesis years ago, that changed things a teensy bit: Mortal Kombat.

I did read a horrible story once of how two boys beat their little sister to death (for no sane reason whatsoever) while trying to duplicate the same moves they saw in a Mortal Kombat game. I did not read the whole thing, but that was basically the topic. I am not sure if the parents wanted to sue the company or their sons got sent to jail for murder.

I think that at the age of 10 children can play mildly violents games....at the age of 13 really bloody....15...any game in the world cool.gif

Let me guess... you're fifteen? tongue.gif

I try not to swear when I mess up in games. But then again, I tend not to swear at all.

The only time I swear is when I screw up in a video game. The rest of the time I use fairly mild words to express my annoyance. I.e 'pants'.

I've been playing video games for years (since I was about ten). I can't remember when I first got a 'violent' video game, but I'm pretty sure my first reaction wasn't to take a machete to the streets.

I played my first violent game at four and it wasn't that scary intil the ennd in which u get scared at how hard a game is not what happenes in the games but I never cuss unless its like playfull as in "You basterd."I am not a bad person but I can get angry and I have actually a pretty low voice for my age. my friend has a voice disorder which makes it so like somebody could hear him across the room if he tried to whisper. so natuerally he doesn't use a mic unless he is with his friends.

I can handle them, I'm sure. But I really don't like seeing the kid I babysit, willingly play Call of Duty. He's eight and is on a swearing binge whenever his parents aren't around. Coincidence? I don't think do. I'm so sick of hearing how parents just let their kids have things that will negatively effect them for the rest of their lives. At that age, even the smallest thing can influence them. Now, he wants to swear around everyone and is increasingly violent because his parents are now letting him watch violent movies as well. But that's not what this is about. It's the fact that he now thinks it's okay. And that his parents think so, too. (Even after they see his behaviors.)

I think underage gamers shouldnt be playing games over their age. Ratings are there for a reason and I'm sorry but I don't want to be cussed out by a 12-15 year old on Gears of War 3 because he sucks and I'm good. So like I said, ratings should be upheld especially by the parents....This world is in the state its in, because parents don't uphold things like they should, even little things like a movie or video game rating....These things were created for a reason and should be followed.

I think underage gamers shouldnt be playing games over their age. Ratings are there for a reason and I'm sorry but I don't want to be cussed out by a 12-15 year old on Gears of War 3 because he sucks and I'm good. So like I said, ratings should be upheld especially by the parents....This world is in the state its in, because parents don't uphold things like they should, even little things like a movie or video game rating....These things were created for a reason and should be followed.

Yeah, no, the rating system is just a guide.

Just to clarify, ratings are not there as a rule or law. They are simply a guide describing what is in the contents of the game. There is no official rule or law that says underage gamers cannot legally use a mature rated game. The gaming community is filled with lots of ages, and not just "12-15 year-old children" are the only ones who may flame or curse. I have seen a lot of adults having an attack because they are losing an online game. I don't think 15-year old kids should be blocked from playing online games because I do not believe it could really fix anything. I do, however, think parents should more closely monitor to see if their child is truly mature enough for that content or atmosphere. Then again, I'm 15, so my opinion does not carry much weight for this argument. It may seem like I am trying to argue something like, "I should be able to abuse this system." even if I do not hold that stance here.

Edited for typos.

Edited by TheDarkCynder

think of this: although my friend has a social disorder he plays violent video games all the time, and gets A's in many of his classes. personally, i think there should be different ranks of M as there are some games that are in there just for killing. games with killing, zombies, excessive blood, rewards for illegal conduct(this factor would raise the rating as much), direct and explicit showing of sexual situations and ALL of that would be given the new rating M10, the highest rating of the sytem. if parents hide theyre children from every little violent thing in the world when they leave they wont be ready for the realities of life. halo should rank low as when i first played i was like 9 and it didnt scare me it ju startled me when the owner of the game killed me.

think of this: although my friend has a social disorder he plays violent video games all the time, and gets A's in many of his classes. personally, i think there should be different ranks of M as there are some games that are in there just for killing. games with killing, zombies, excessive blood, rewards for illegal conduct(this factor would raise the rating as much), direct and explicit showing of sexual situations and ALL of that would be given the new rating M10, the highest rating of the sytem. if parents hide theyre children from every little violent thing in the world when they leave they wont be ready for the realities of life. halo should rank low as when i first played i was like 9 and it didnt scare me it ju startled me when the owner of the game killed me.

There already is a rating after M, and it isn't doing very well.

My brother plays a few online rated M games even though he's 8. But my brother and I can handle it. My dad knows about this, since he is a gamer himself. But, we never play those sexual games. We play the games with excessive blood. Also, it's all non-realistic people. I personally think that it is fine, but not fine with things that have some sexual things in it.

There are some EXTREMELY MEAN gamers out there. They have told my brother to shut the~Censor evasion removed~ up while my brother was telling them strategies on how to beat the other team. Then, they muted him and told him that he was an~Censor evasion removed~ little kid who should not be playing this." The game was provided by Portal 2. Which he BEAT Portal 2 in 2 weeks without walkthroughs or help. He is smart on games and he is able to play and win games easily. And, they say he sucks just because he's LITTLE.

Anyone agree to this?

Edited by _Z_

My brother plays a few online rated M games even though he's 8. But my brother and I can handle it. My dad knows about this, since he is a gamer himself. But, we never play those sexual games. We play the games with excessive blood. Also, it's all non-realistic people. I personally think that it is fine, but not fine with things that have some sexual things in it.

There are some EXTREMELY MEAN gamers out there. They have told my brother to shut the~Censor evasion removed~up while my brother was telling them strategies on how to beat the other team. Then, they muted him and told him that he was an "~Censor evasion removed~ little kid who should not be playing this." The game was provided by Portal 2. Which he BEAT Portal 2 in 2 weeks without walkthroughs or help. He is smart on games and he is able to play and win games easily. And, they say he sucks just because he's LITTLE.

Anyone agree to this?

Well there isn't exactly a "other team" to beat in Portal 2 so I'm not surprised.

Also, over a microphone, prepubescent male voices are just... very annoying. Not as annoying in person, but over the microphone it's just...

~Do not quote Censor evasion~

Edited by _Z_