Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkCynder

Mature rated games and underage gamers.

I have played violent computer-games since the age of 13-14... Would probably have played before that, too, but before then playable computer-games simply *didn't* exist yet.

I can't say that those affected me in any way- the only time you'd see the real-life me violent would be if you went and physically attacked either me or someone I know. Video-games making people violent is a myth, nothing more- an already violent person might have a preference for more brutal games, but a non-violent one won't turn more violent because of them.

If the child wants to play the game and doesn't neglect his/her studies or housework for it, and the parents agree on the child playing, I say let them.

I don't think they should be that concerned about it. It's not their job to make sure kids play age appropriate games. Leave that to the parents. And that whole "Video games make kids violent" is a trick to ruin the video game market. It obviously isn't working, which is good. I'm violent because of real life, not because I push a button on a controller and shoot someone. It's a ridiculous debate. I LOVE the Elder Scrolls series, and 2 years ago (when I was being rather violent at school) the principle demanded that my parents make me stop playing them. They straight up told him no. I'm old enough to play whatever I want. And also old enough to know what I want to play. Also, I think video game ratings should just be warnings, not restrictions (Though many would disagree.

I am 12 years old and i have always known that what movies and games are not real so i have been allowed to play (and watch i used to watch my dad play ( but not the really nasty ones )) pretty violent and bloody games .

And guess what i'm not some kid running around killing people saying '' but that's what people do in games mommy i can do it to right ?'' . I am a cheerleader with good grades a lot of friends and a clean language .

PS. I have ALWAYS been really old for my age . so my parents have known for a srsly long time that i would not turn into some wierd psyco only cuz i play M rated games .

PPS. sorry for my bad english i am norwegian and 12 years so sorry ... smile.gif

My first videogame was one of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six games. Lots of shooting people and all that fun stuff. I was maybe twelve and my dad was trying to get me into it so he had someone in the house to discuss battle strategy with. I am perfectly normal, as are my three other siblings, at least mentally, and they started playing them younger than I did--the laughable part is that we could play shooting games but not watch movies with equal amounts of violence.

As the oldest of the four to start playing, I am also the most violent, but I was that way long before videogames. I consider blowing things up with firecrackers to be good sport and one of my favourite birthday presents was a two pound metal container of gunpowder, even though I only ever used a tiny fraction of it. However, I never hurt anyone with my antics. Closest I came to that was playing knights and dragons with my sister and I fell out of the tree I was hiding in, snapping her stick sword.

Note, that was also the LAST game of that violence level I played. I typically stick to teen ratings just because they're easier for me to find dirt cheap. Mechwarrior is probably the closest I come anymore and with that you're blowing up futuristic machines so it's obviously not real.

edit: to sum that all up, it depends on what the kiddies are ready for and how active a parent the adults are. If they're actively showing the kids how it's pretend and never to be brought into the real world, then I think it's fine.

Edited by dragon_mando

Think of it this way:

LIFE is a mature-rated game. Virtually everything in the world is slanted towards adults. War, marriage, jobs, governmental office, sports, etc. And it's great, but there are nasty things out there, things like rape, gang violence, natural disasters, disease. The world doesn't cut you any slack.

That said — video games harm none, in and of themselves. If the kid's playing games 20 hours out of the day, then there are underlying issues. The game didn't do that.

Honestly, I think it's at the parent's discretion on what games they buy for their children. If a kid is not ready for mature content, then the parent should KNOW that. It's not the game's fault if a child plays it and the parent gets upset. It's the fault of whoever bought the game for the child. Of course, I don't believe that violent video games = violent kids 100% of the time. That's silly.

My boyfriend has played "mature" video games ever since his younger teens. He uses those games as a vent for any stress he has; he uses ANY video games for that. It helps him relax, just like punching a pillow or screaming or drawing or whatever helps other people relax. He is not a violent, mean person.. he's very smart and talented.

Really, if a child can handle it like an adult.. I see no problem.

Really, if a child can handle it like an adult.. I see no problem.

Largely this. Although I should emphasise that the decision on wether or not the child can handle it should not be made by the child themselves. All of us think we're terribly mature when we're in our teens, and all of us realise just how much bull it was once we really *are* mature. The decision on wether or not a child is mature enough to handle a game should be made by the parents. And if the parents think their child is okay, then that should be that. End of argument.

Largely this. Although I should emphasise that the decision on wether or not the child can handle it should not be made by the child themselves. All of us think we're terribly mature when we're in our teens, and all of us realise just how much bull it was once we really *are* mature. The decision on wether or not a child is mature enough to handle a game should be made by the parents. And if the parents think their child is okay, then that should be that. End of argument.

Resounding "this", as it's said.

The ratings help guide parents (and discerning buyers of game) on what the game contains when they realistically can't comb through 8-60 hours of play.

Huh, my opinion...

Truly it depends on the gamer.

I know a 14 year old who plays stuff like Splatterhouse and Dante's Inferno, and he takes it well and is rather mature about it.

What I really can't stand is this:

A scenario that happened at my local Game Stop last Friday.

I was perusing around trying to find something new when two young boys walked in the store.

They looked no more than 12 years old.

They grabbed two games.

Call of Duty: Black Ops and Grand Theft Auto 4.

Game Stops Manager Chris says, "I can't sell this game to you unless you have parental okay."

In walks their mom.

She is talking on a cell and barely listens when Chris asks if its okay with her.

She just waves her hand and mouths yes.

After she gets done talking and starts texting.

Chris has her sign some things and she says absent mindedly, 'I don't mind them playing these games since theres no violence or sex.'

I just stared in shock.

Those games are full of those things...

Those kids walked out with two highly graphic games...

My point... Ignorant parents are the issue, not so much the kids IF they can handle it.

I'm 13 and I play Call of Duty: Black Ops

I draw creepy things like the Grim Reaper raising his bloody scythe and saying "Good-bye!"

Before I ever touched an M-rated game!

As far as "inappropriate language" my mom doesn't care as long as it's not around my elders.

And most M-rated games you can turn the blood and language off.

Straight A student and my mom asks me how to spell things!

I'm 13 and I play Call of Duty: Black Ops

I draw creepy things like the Grim Reaper raising his bloody scythe and saying "Good-bye!"

Before I ever touched an M-rated game!

As far as "inappropriate language" my mom doesn't care as long as it's not around my elders.

And most M-rated games you can turn the blood and language off.

Straight A student and my mom asks me how to spell things!

I don't know of very many games that allow you to do this. Left 4 Dead has a gore setting, but it's still violent and there isn't a way to turn off language without muting it, for instance.

I'm 14 and my mom sits for hours and watches me play games as entertainment for herself, she usually watches me play Mass Effect. Please don't take the wrong, i'm not hinting at anything. Because of this, I know she is okay with what i'm playing, as she knows I can handle such things. While I know Mass Effect isn't one of the worst M-rated games, it's not "light" about its themes either.

Just throwing something else out here.

Edited by TheDarkCynder

I think the main problem is that younger folks just don't have the experiences that older audiences do. People 17+ grew up right alongside video games as they evolved their crazy graphics and stuff-- they're just naturally prepared for the serious business that is the M rating. Younger kids are being thrown in at the peak of delicious gore-filled entertainment when they've never experienced the beginning.

My suggestion is to make all new gamers play DOOM on the SNES for a couple days straight, then perhaps graduate them to something like Primal Rage or Wolfenstein for the next week and so on. I think parents would really appreciate how their kids learn to build up that maturity and tolerance, and when the time comes to play some Dead Space... they'll be comfortable to sit back and smile as their child's character is realistically decapitated and disemboweled.

Because really, isn't that what it's all about =)

I think the main problem is that younger folks just don't have the experiences that older audiences do. People 17+ grew up right alongside video games as they evolved their crazy graphics and stuff-- they're just naturally prepared for the serious business that is the M rating. Younger kids are being thrown in at the peak of delicious gore-filled entertainment when they've never experienced the beginning.

My suggestion is to make all new gamers play DOOM on the SNES for a couple days straight, then perhaps graduate them to something like Primal Rage or Wolfenstein for the next week and so on. I think parents would really appreciate how their kids learn to build up that maturity and tolerance, and when the time comes to play some Dead Space... they'll be comfortable to sit back and smile as their child's character is realistically decapitated and disemboweled.

Because really, isn't that what it's all about =)

I have the same idea for introducing kids to video games, but I don't see the need to start out with violent games. If I have kids I probably won't start earlier than the 64-era (only ever had a few Genesis games) but I'm not intending to start on shooters.

Very well said, my friend.

First, I want to say that I mean no disrespect to anyone. I was a child who was mature for my age. My mother and friends always remarked so. I'm now 22 and still being told I'm a little more mature than some people my age.

Second, I want to point out that the teens here who are saying they're mature for their age are not the majority. This forum (and others like it) tend to attract those who are more mature for their age because many forums don't tolerate immature behaviour. It's not a true sample of the population. So while there are teens who are mature for their age, there are many who are not, and those are the people who adults worry about playing M-rated games. Just my two cents...

*Ahem.*

I'm thirteen. Anyone who knows me think I can't chat in an M rated game? Not that I would, but really--the fault is the parents', not the kid's.

I've played M Rated Games since I was four (fourteen now). I can handle it easily.

Normally I'm in Party Chat anyways because a lot of adults are way less mature than I am.

I've played M Rated Games since I was four (fourteen now). I can handle it easily.

I feel like this is a bit far.

I've played mature and bloody games since I was a we lad and came out fine O3O So I'd like to know how it's a bit far aswell.

My mom knew I was smart enough to know that it was just a game and not to copy the things it it, so she let me, my grandparents who were very protective knew the same. So yeah D:

I know very few four year olds with the dexterity required to play Super Mario Kart for the Super Nintendo, let alone a complicated adult game with far more complex control combinations, so I find the idea of a four year old playing M rated games a bit far-fetched as well

edit: lol typos

Edited by dragon_mando

I know very few four year olds with the dexterity required to play Super Mario Kart for the Super Nintendo, let alone a complicated adult game with far more complex control combinations, so I find the idea of a four year old playing M rated games a bit far-fetched as well

Agreed.

I play Half life and TF2. Don't have any problems. I'm quite underage. So what? Everyone my age plays Black Ops, why can't I? I'm much more mature than those... children.

Edited by wonton55912

I think it should be something like this:

Most under-thirteens should play games that are rated ESRB T or less. (Unless they're, like, 7 or something. In that case, ESRB E 10+)

Over-thirteens and mature under-thirteens should play games that are rated ESRB M or less.

(Mature) over-sixteens for ESRB AO.

All in all, everything depends on the maturity of the kid.

Thank the Nine my dad didn't know a thing about Resident Evil when I asked him to buy Resident Evil 5 as a christmas present for me... but even after I told him about the game, he still doesn't care.

And I'm not even 18! blink.gif

Sign in to follow this