DarkEternity

Tinsel raising strategies

Is it just me or has everyone else experienced more time (at least 6 hours in total) longer to grow up and hatch? I seem to have to raise them with 6000~5000 views to hatch and 7000~8000 views to grow up, and mine seem to get so sick so quickly...

As an egg I kept mine fogged whenever I wasn't around to actively keep an eye on it; aside from that, I haven't done anything different than usual. It didn't get sick at all, but I have heard that some tinsels do get softshell easily. /shrug. Once it hatched I stopped fogging it and haven't had any problems.

It does seem to need a slightly higher number of views, but not by a lot. My hatchling, which hasn't matured yet at 4D 18H, has 822UV / 5717V, which is high but not among my highest.

The thing is: NEVER INCUBATE YOUR TINSEL.

It makes them very stubborn to hatch and more easy to get sick while in ER.

For me, I fog it until 4 days left first. Then unfog it to allow it to grow/mature.

Edited by Cabalsux

The thing is: NEVER INCUBATE YOUR TINSEL.

I'm pretty sure I incubated mine and it never got sick...I didn't do it right away though. It probably had somewhere between 4 and 5 days when I did.

I'm going to go easy with my Tinsel happy.gif

It's my first, ever. I don't want it to get sick. Poor baby xd.png

I do incubate my tinsels right away. I then wait to put it in a hatchery until it's around 5 1/2 days. (at least 1/2 a day old) After the first 24 hours or so in one hatchery I usually add it to a second. It will probably need an ER once it hits 4 days, but it probably won't get sick, and if it does, it will be fine after a couple hours fogged.

Tinsels do seem to take a little bit more to hatch and to grow up.

mine are stubborn to hatch, but I incubate and all incubated eggs are stubborn

they usually grown around 3 days 18 hrs...all needing over 6000 views to grow

I do not add them to hatcheries/ER until 3 days 23 hours

My first Tinsel got sick shortly after going ER as a hatchy.

I had to fog it for 5 hours before it got better then 1 click later its an adult.

I've not had any others get sick.

Sickness is a reflection of too many views- it's not a problem in itself.

Usually I don't care if my tinsels get sick shortly after they hatch (I incubate and ER) because I know the approximate amount at which hatchlings actually die, and it's nowhere near what it takes to make them sick. As long as no one's view-bombing they'll be fine with the leftover stream of views from ERs.

Edited by kadoatie

I believe I've incubated two out of three of my Tinsels - the first one (which was incubated) got sick briefly just after hatching, but that's not so uncommon for an egg that's been ER'd. Didn't cause any problems after it'd been fogged for a little while. Second one I don't think I incubated... no problems with sickness. Third one I did incubate, and ended up sticking in a couple ERs before it hatched, but no problems with sickness yet.

So I don't think incubating them in and of itself is actually a problem - you just need to keep an eye on the views, and be ready to hide them if necessary.

With Tinsels (and, really, any rares or eggs I'm particularly concerned about - gifts, etc.) I do like to fog them overnight regardless of how they're doing views-wise, and sometimes during the day early on if I know it's going to be a really long while before I can check back. Probably not necessary in 99% of cases (where you don't have someone deliberately viewbombing, etc.), but it's just a precaution I like to take when I know I'd be really upset by losing something.

I put it in one hatchery when it`s around 6d 15h, then in another hatchery one day later and so on. In ends up getting many views, but not TOO many, and so it usually hatches without being ERd nor sick.

This is what I do. I also have never had one sick or have to ER any. I used Imbecamiel's idea on how to get hatchlings to gender quick for freezing and applied it to the harder to hatch eggs. I don't put them in any hatchery for the first 12 hours or so and give them a light one at first and start adding it in fansites one at a time. I aim for about 600-700 UVs by the time the egg is ready to hatch. Once it does I don't usually fog the hatchling and I don't add it to any more fansites. It will eventually get upwards to 1000 UVs. End result is an adult with about 1,000 UVs and about 3,500 or 4,000 over all views. I don't know how much they need exactly, but this number seems to work for me.

My strategy: Submit it to 3, possibly even 4 fansites after 12 hours of nothing. Leave it for a day. Then incubate and let it go. You might still need the ERs, but it shouldn't be that bad. I've had mine hold out on hatching no more than 3 hours. And they have gotten sick that way, but if you pay attention to it you'll be fine. smile.gif

I have no strategy for raising them. I just put them in my normal hatcheries as soon as I get them, leave them alone, and instant hatch. No incubates, no ERs, no sickness.

I had no problem with my bronze tinsels but for some reason two out of three silvers have gotten sick while I was ERing them. Just at the point of the third hatching stage, boom, soft shell. huh.gif I end up fogging them for a couple of hours and then try again with them hatching with a few more views. Made me wonder if silvers were more delicate then bronze and if that is the case how delicate are golds?

Mine took a bit more to hatch than the others normally do, but it's just going under the 5 day mark as a hatchling and still hasn't gendered. I think they are a lot like raising the Guardians of Nature.

Seems to me you need all your dragon raising skills for these 2 breeds. xd.png

Edited by Cheystar

My hatchling got sick just a few moments ago dry.gif

Godfreakin'dangit.

Oh Tinsel, please don't die. LOVE YOU LONG TIME! wub.gif

Mine got sick quite a few times. First when I got it, then when I put it in an ER to hatch (BEFORE it hatched it got sick), then after it hatched and again before it grew up. sad.gif

None of mine have gotten sick. After the first day (once they are at 6 days), I tend to put them into more hatcheries than I'd normally use, including one on Live Journal to get more clicks. I incubate them once they get down to 4 days 12 hours left (takes them to 3 days 12 hours) and ER them and most hatch within 30 minutes or less.

And I'm patiently waiting for my Tinsel to gender.

Dang, waiting sucks!

If it doesn't gender Male... unsure.gifsleep.gif

Also, do you think it's wise to fog a Tinsel when you're away for long periods of time if it has been sick before?

Edited by predatorfan4ever

Personally, I don't fog it if it's a gendered

Edited by DarkEternity

This might have been said, but don't automatically put them in more than one hatching site if they've been incubated right at 7 Days. It becomes a pain in the butt to hatch an ER/lowtime egg that insists on getting sick every time you unfog it.

Since my first Tinsel is due to grow up in a few hours, I must say that they are the pickiest breed I have ever raised. 5.5k views and she finally gendered at 4 days 5 hours.

It needs at least 7k views to grow, usually.

Mine were Incubated, none got Sick that I recall, but they took more time than 4 days to grow and went into ERs.

I attributed this to less-than-ideal U-Views and to my over-caution in posting them, especially in the first couple of days.

Mine grew up in in the general-ish area of 5ooo Views, around 1000-ish U Views, pretty much an average (overall) of 50-sh Clicks.

I'd say that Tinsels (like metallics) do seem to need more Views to grow up than some of our common dragons do, but that this is exaggerated by several factors, which include ERing increasing Views far more than U views.

Many, if not most, of my dragons have lower Views than this, and the better the ratios of U Views to Views, the fewer Views were required.

This is why giving at least some Views at fansites we use is so important...

They are indeed quite stubborn, and if you fog and ER, Incubating them is cruisin' for a sickness if you try to hatch them on 3d23h. Never died - but I also never ER them if I'm not there to watch them. Silly little shiny things.