pbdog

Frozen BSA dragons

(Wait, okay, where does it say that? o.o)

Then that depends on how you define age.

No matter how long I try to teach a seven year old competitive Olympic gymnastics, they won't be able to preform the moves like the teens/young adults that do, because they are still developing and can't move in the same ways.

This also depends on how their magic works. Does it grow stronger/more controlled with time or with physical age? How much can experience strengthen their magic and control?

I tend to think that you freeze a hatchling and you freeze its growth, including its abilities, including its magic. :3

But you all seem to forget that MATURE hatchlings are practically adults.

Their scales don't grow in until right before they mature, and they have almost no strength. Once a hatchling's wings grow in, it marks the beginning of maturation. At this point they are usually left alone by their mother and begin to hunt and survive on their own.

Once they hit adolescence, hatchlings change quickly, maturing to their full forms in only 2 years.

Mature hatchlings, at least, could possibly have a good amount of the magical strength of adult dragons.

It doesn't say that anywhere, which is one reason why I get all ticked off when people attribute powers to dragons when it says nothing about them in the desc and then get yelled at because only the artist/conceptor can do that.

Also, I think that view of freezing makes it sound a lot more cruel than what I always imagined, which is just that you stunt its growth, but everything besides physical shape progresses as usual.

ninja.gif'd

Edited by ~!~

They still aren't adults.

While I think it's cute to have Magi hatchlings be able to teleport Pygmy, chicken, or Paper eggs, or Red hatchlings be able to incubate an hour off an egg (they can spurt fire out of their noses, so they are warm), they're still not adults.

Facts is facts: Mature adults can do things that children cannot. Giving frozen hatchies full powered BSAs...heck, why not say they can breed because non-adults in the real world can breed too, so why nooooooottttt!!! Well, because they aren't adult dragons, that's why.

Also, I think that view of freezing makes it sound a lot more cruel than what I always imagined, which is just that you stunt its growth, but everything besides physical shape progresses as usual.

Honestly, that's my biggest reason that I'd love to see pseudo-BSAs implemented. Not just for usefulness, not just for adorability, but because it would prove to me that freezing hatchies isn't just, say, gutting them and mounting them as trophies - hence "freezing" them in time... A HSA (Hatchie-Specific Action) or PBSA would do that for me.

I'd like to feel guilt-free about freezing. Yes, I know they're "just pixels". But I care about my pixels. xd.png Just a personal opinion here, but I'll brace for bricks anyway. rolleyes.gif

The trouble with using real-life comparisons for frozens is that there is no analog in the real world, except, like, midgets, but that doesn't even work, because frozens can't breed.

We don't know exactly what happens to a hatchling when it's frozen except that it stops changing physically. We also know that they never gain the ability to breed. I have chosen to assume that frozen hatchlings would necessarily have the same levels of ability as adults, except in things that pertain to their size.

That's nothing more than an assumption. Any opinion to the contrary can't be more than an assumption either.

I think a good compromise would be to have either limited BSAs for frozens, or to have longer cooldowns for frozens. (And yes, I think that should happen for Summon as well if this suggestion is ever implemented, even though with those limitations, hatchling-summon would be utterly, utterly useless. Because I like consistency.)

A no from me.

Just because it doesn't 'feel right' to me (I'm not even going to think about the 'logical', 'natural', etc., I'm getting a bit sick of a fantasy world having to be completely logical and true to nature, to be honest), and because, from a gameplay perspective, I think if you want the dragon to be useful beyond upping your dragon count, you should at least take the time to see the whole hatching and maturing process through.

I'm not convinced it should be done but I do like some of these ideas. I would say that the hatchling should have at least gendered to do anything.

The idea of a magi hatchling being able to teleport a pygmy or chicken egg is adorable. I'm not sure about the egg having a chance to go to the ap but at least there should be a chance of failure. Perhaps as mentioned as an idea before a longer wait time to use again. And it should only be able to move only one egg at most. I don't think people would want to hoarde magi hatchlings just to have a chance to move one pygmy hatchling at a time but it'd be pretty neat.

A very tiny chance of a pink or purple hatchling to influence or give fertility would probably only be used in a desperation type situation. You could have waited just a bit longer and had an adult with much higher odds of success.

And a little red hatchling taking just an hour off of an egg when you're desperate to no longer be locked seems like a neat idea, too.

No, I can't imagine anyone suddenly wanting to hoarde hatchlings (particularly if they're almost adult) to do any of this but only give a way to enjoy what hatchlings they have a bit more.

Actually thinking about this if one wanted to give non gendered hatchlings abilities they could be even weaker or more random or just less desirable. Ungendered magi tries to move a chicken egg and it does nothing at all or it blows up in it's face. Bye chicken egg! Ungendered red hatchling can take off somewhere between a minute to 20 minutes or nothing at all. Ungendered pink might have a slight chance to influence an egg but you don't know which way. Ungendered purple hatchling have an even slighter chance to help fertility and could accidentally make a couple hate each other that didn't previously.

Edited by Savynn

Mature hatchlings, at least, could possibly have a good amount of the magical strength of adult dragons.

SOME mature hatchling do, and SOME don't.

On one side you have Red's that can't blow fire until they are adults and Thunders who can't control their power until they are fully grown.

On the other side you have dragons like the storm who seem to have no trouble form the start.

You also have dragons that only get their power when they mature, like the Shallow Water.

And then you have dragons were it is unclear, like the green.

It all depends on the dragon.

Edited by Lady_DragonRider

And then you have dragons were it is unclear, like the green.

Green dragons cause 'earthquakes' by slamming their tail into the ground. Smaller tail = smaller quake, so hatchies would not be physically able to cause the damage adults can.

The only two things I'd like to add: I agree that only S2 Pinks should be able to influence, and hatchie Purples using fertility is just plain creepy. Please don't make me explain why- just think about the cute and adorable aspect y'all have mentioned...

The only two things I'd like to add: I agree that only S2 Pinks should be able to influence, and hatchie Purples using fertility is just plain creepy. Please don't make me explain why- just think about the cute and adorable aspect y'all have mentioned...

But, I mean... we don't know how Fertility works. For all we know, the Purple could sneeze fairy dust at a dragon and it suddenly becomes more fertile. That sounds pretty cute and not inappropriate at all to me...

I am starting to like the restriction of "can only be preformed on pygmy breeds" more and more, btw.

I am starting to like the restriction of "can only be preformed on pygmy breeds" more and more, btw.

The pigmy only thing is a problem for vampires, unless they make different sprites for pigmy vampires.

Has anyone thought of how the summon BSA would work? I have, and I don't think frozen hatchlings should be able to summon. Summon takes extrema power; the thunder dragon can not control their power until they are older, implying that adults have more power then the mature hatchling.

Green dragons cause 'earthquakes' by slamming their tail into the ground. Smaller tail = smaller quake, so hatchies would not be physically able to cause the damage adults can.

That is true, but it is unclear if a hatchling even CAN make 'quakes at a young age.

Has anyone thought of how the summon BSA would work? I have, and I don't think frozen hatchlings should be able to summon. Summon takes extrema power; the thunder dragon can not control their power until they are older, implying that adults have more power then the mature hatchling.

I think it should be possible, but have such a minute chance of success that it would be completely stupid to try.

Edited by ~!~

I think it should be possible, but have such a minute chance of success that it would be completely stupid to try.

You mean like regular Summon? (j/k. ... kinda.)

I like the idea. Shallow Waters would surely be able to use BSA's as a frozen hatchling, but I can't see purple's and trio's using theirs.

Edited by RotomGuy

Then why add it? Just so people can brag? just so that those cute forever young hatchlings are more then just decorations?

Of all the BSAs summon is one of the ones that belongs to the adults and the adults alone.

And like Marie19R pointed out summon already has a slim chance.

Some people have been trying for over a year and still do not have one!

I like the idea. Shallow Waters would surely be able to use BSA's as a frozen hatchling, but I can't see purple's and trio's using theirs.

I agree, mature shallow waters would surely be able to use their BSA.

IF BSA's for frozens gets accepted then comes the question, can unfrozen mature hatchling be able to use it? And if not, why not?

Then why add it? Just so people can brag? just so that those cute forever young hatchlings are more then just decorations?

Of all the BSAs summon is one of the ones that belongs to the adults and the adults alone.

And like Marie19R pointed out summon already has a slim chance.

Some people have been trying for over a year and still do not have one!

Basically, if we give frozen hatchlings any BSAs, I'd like them to all have them, just for consistency's sake.

Plus it's not like making hatchling-Summon foolhardy would decrease the chances of success for adult-Summon, so what does it matter that Summon is already really hard?

Basically, if we give frozen hatchlings any BSAs, I'd like them to all have them, just for consistency's sake.

Plus it's not like making hatchling-Summon foolhardy would decrease the chances of success for adult-Summon, so what does it matter that Summon is already really hard?

There is a kink in the Summon BSA that makes it pretty much pointless to give to frozen hatchlings. It uses up all the Magma, Ice, and Thunders on a scroll. It takes the power of three to dozens of adult dragons to even have a small chance of summoning. That's pretty powerful magic. I don't know how often a scroll would only have Trio hatchies, but considering how many adults it takes, I seriously don't think a hatchie could do it.

Then, if there were a lowered chance of success, why blow it on hatchies trying? Use the adults!

maybe they would summon a pygmy version of a GON...

I would like this except for the fact that it would make one more impossible-to-obtain dragon.

I would like this except for the fact that it would make one more impossible-to-obtain dragon.

that gives the collectors something else to do though.

maybe they would summon a pygmy version of a GON...

Please no.

Unless the chances are significantly increased. I think there's enough other things around the cave to do without adding more frustration in the case of another GoN to summon. :3

Bump...

I really think this could work.

Edited by firegirl

Bump...

I really think this could work.

This topic might get more traffic if you copy-pasted all of the ideas onto the first post, that way people can get a quick over-view on what has been suggested so far. You could also make a list of pro's and con's.