nickterv

Where are you from?

Where are you from  

1,020 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm from Estonia. In northeastern Europe, right next to Russia, under Finland and on the eastern shore of the Baltic sea. Small country. Very small. cool.gif

Yes, the pregnancy lasts for nine months.

No, you cannot ride a raindeer to school.

Yes, we know what a computer is.

No, we don't keep bears as pets and no, here no be dragons.

You wouldn't believe it, people actually ask these questions. blink.gif

Wow, so many people come from the US... wish I could visit any one of those states. :3

I'm from both the middle east and southeast of Asia. Wouldn't wanna say where exactly, but meh. XD And yes, this means I come from more than one race.

And apart from my parents, I happen to be the only member in my family who speaks English fluently. Hence I tend to withdraw myself into the internet to chat with other English speakers. ;.;

I'm from Estonia. In northeastern Europe, right next to Russia, under Finland and on the eastern shore of the Baltic sea. Small country. Very small. cool.gif

Don't feel bad, apparently there's a large population that assumes in Tennessee:

We don't have shoes

We don't have indoor plumbing

Everyone is inbred

We're all rednecks

Everyone is a super fundamentalist Christian

No one goes to school after they hit 12 years old

We all get pregnant by the age of 15, and breed like rabbits.

Everyone is a white supremacist/super racist

And no, I'm not kidding, people have actually asked me about all of those. My friend Chris is from Canada, and he was afraid to come to my graduation because he thought he'd get hanged as soon as he stepped off the plane o.O and when my friend Jess went to New York on a band trip in high school, a woman in a department store looked at her and asked where she was from; upon finding out she was from Tennessee, the woman immediately replied: "So is that your first pair of shoes?"

Edited by auria

Don't feel bad, apparently there's a large population that assumes in Tennessee:

We don't have shoes

We don't have indoor plumbing

Everyone is inbred

We're all rednecks

Everyone is a super fundamentalist Christian

No one goes to school after they hit 12 years old

We all get pregnant by the age of 15, and breed like rabbits.

Everyone is a white supremacist/super racist

And no, I'm not kidding, people have actually asked me about all of those. My friend Chris is from Canada, and he was afraid to come to my graduation because he thought he'd get hanged as soon as he stepped off the plane o.O and when my friend Jess went to New York on a band trip in high school, a woman in a department store looked at her and asked where she was from; upon finding out she was from Tennessee, the woman immediately replied: "So is that your first pair of shoes?"

Wh... What? No way, I've never even heard of those assumptions before, and that's just so... racist! D:

I can't believe that there are people who still believe in those kind of things. It's stupid, and it's insulting.

But lol, your friend from Canada sure is funny. XD

What's Tennesse like, anyways? :3

Yeah...rather disappointing, all in all.

And yeah, he makes me giggle smile.gif

Well, it depends on where you're at really...there's not very many large cities, and some of the smaller towns are pretty religious and a little backwards. But that's not everywhere, and even they have indoor bathrooms and shoes. As much as I hate to say it, if you've ever seen Jeff Foxworthy's stand up comedy, there's a lot of people like that.

When philpot said that this is the patron state of shootin stuff, he wasn't kidding. There were people at my high school who would leave their rifles and shotguns in the gunrack in their trucks (as long as there was a visible lock on it, most of the staff just got over it).

We've got a relatively low cost of living, compared to a lot of other places, so there's a pretty good number of people from other states who come here to retire or get transferred for their jobs. We're also the state that produced the atomic bomb, so I have no idea where people get the idea that we're all stupid, but we also have a couple towns with the highest number of meth labs in the country >.>

In terms of the actual landscaping and such, I'm in East Tennessee, which has a section of the Appalachian Mountains running the length of the state line. They're kinda small when you see them and think of like...the Alps or the Himalayas, but they're old so I don't hold it against them lol. Winter isn't TOO cold, but we get a lot of ice from the snow melting during the day and then re-freezing at night. The summers can be a bit miserable because we're just far enough south to get the heat, and have enough foresty places to hold the humidity.

Cow fields, horses, farms, etc. are not uncommon, and where I live I have more than once been stuck behind a tractor while trying to get to school or work. But Kingsport (about 20 miles from me) is home to the Eastman Chemical company, with people there making more than $500,000 a year, driving cars that cost more than my tuition and living in houses big enough for 20 people to live comfortably, so there's significant contrasts.

Obviously I'm leaving out the Nashville and Memphis scene, but I've only been to Nashville once and never Memphis, so my knowledge is limited. If there's anything specific you'd like to know, ask away smile.gif

Edited by auria

Well, I'm not insulted by people asking strange questions, I find it very amusing. xd.png

Well, it depends on where you're at really...there's not very many large cities, and some of the smaller towns are pretty religious and a little backwards. But that's not everywhere, and even they have indoor bathrooms and shoes. As much as I hate to say it, if you've ever seen Jeff Foxworthy's stand up comedy, there's a lot of people like that.

When philpot said that this is the patron state of shootin stuff, he wasn't kidding. There were people at my high school who would leave their rifles and shotguns in the gunrack in their trucks (as long as there was a visible lock on it, most of the staff just got over it).

We've got a relatively low cost of living, compared to a lot of other places, so there's a pretty good number of people from other states who come here to retire or get transferred for their jobs. We're also the state that produced the atomic bomb, so I have no idea where people get the idea that we're all stupid, but we also have a couple towns with the highest number of meth labs in the country >.>

In terms of the actual landscaping and such, I'm in East Tennessee, which has a section of the Appalachian Mountains running the length of the state line. They're kinda small when you see them and think of like...the Alps or the Himalayas, but they're old so I don't hold it against them lol. Winter isn't TOO cold, but we get a lot of ice from the snow melting during the day and then re-freezing at night. The summers can be a bit miserable because we're just far enough south to get the heat, and have enough foresty places to hold the humidity.

Cow fields, horses, farms, etc. are not uncommon, and where I live I have more than once been stuck behind a tractor while trying to get to school or work. But Kingsport (about 20 miles from me) is home to the Eastman Chemical company, with people there making more than $500,000 a year, driving cars that cost more than my tuition and living in houses big enough for 20 people to live comfortably, so there's significant contrasts.

Obviously I'm leaving out the Nashville and Memphis scene, but I've only been to Nashville once and never Memphis, so my knowledge is limited. If there's anything specific you'd like to know, ask away smile.gif

Lol, Jeff Foxworthy. xd.png

Wow, they actually allow guns at school? Doesn't that defy the federal firearms laws in the US? blink.gif Or does it vary from state to state?

Oh, I think I've heard of that before! Something about the Manhattan Project being at Oak Ridge, right? That's kind of amazing, I've heard of the city where the project was located at but not the state, so I never thought it would be in Tennessee. Just goes to show how little I know about the US states.

But I just don't get how Tennesseans could be mistaken as rednecks after that that accomplishment. >.>

Appalachian Mountains? That's the first time I've heard about it, but it must be nice to be surrounded by mini-alps, heh. So it doesn't snow enough to keep the grounds coated in a powdery form? There goes my winter wonderland imagination... still, I wish we had snow in my area; all we have is little pellets of hail when it rains and gets really cold.

Also, just one more question 'cause I kind of got myself mixed up. Is Memphis Tennessee's capital, or was it Nashville? ^^;

Well, they don't "allow" them so much as "overlook" them. It is technically illegal, and I'm not sure if it's just because of federal law or if it's got a state regulation too. I do know that there's a lot of hunting that goes on when deer season starts up, and some people hunt in places closer to the school than they live; and the staff know that so they just pretend to not know about the rifles. It probably helps that there's not been any gun crimes there either >.>

Don't feel bad, there's a lot of people who live in the states who don't know anything about anywhere besides their own. When I was little I thought that North and South Dakota didn't exist because I'd never met anyone from there, and therefore no one could prove that those two were even real o.o

As to all of us being considered rednecks, I dunno. There's people who are thoroughly convinced we're all living in the time period of Mark Twain's books. However, there's also a lot of people who "feed the stereotype" so to speak. Unfortunate, but there's not a whole lot to be done about it. A lot of people that I hang out with have started the "Only in Tennessee/the South" whenever we see something that is absolutely dumb, and yet absolutely feeding the stereotype.

Example: Woman walking into Wal-Mart, baby on hip, hair teased about 6 inches taller than she is, cigarette in hand, holding a baby, yelling into the phone, with a Confederate flag T-shirt on.

Finding out that the reason your papaw (grandfather) is such good friends with that one judge is because back in the day, your family used to sell the judge his moonshine (and possibly still does).

Can you ride a polar bear? Oh wait, wrong country.

I get the whole blonde-n-blue eyed with Norway being the capital city. >.<

And believe it or not but we do have our own language here, it's called Swedish.

Based on your description of your highschool, I'm gonna guess you went to Boone/are going to ETSU maybe?? xd.png I'm from Kingsport biggrin.gif

Edited by philpot123

I'm from east Texas. We own property in Arkansas as well, though we don't live there.

Based on your description of your highschool, I'm gonna guess you went to Boone/are going to ETSU maybe?? xd.png I'm from Kingsport biggrin.gif

ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?

I went to DB for two years, graduated from Jeff County, and moved back up here! I'm totally in Church Hill/Surgoinsville RIGHT NOW AS I TYPE THIS!!!

I go to Northeast, actually >.> cheaper and what not

(You just blew my mind sir. Completely. Blew.)

ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?

I went to DB for two years, graduated from Jeff County, and moved back up here! I'm totally in Church Hill/Surgoinsville RIGHT NOW AS I TYPE THIS!!!

I go to Northeast, actually >.> cheaper and what not

(You just blew my mind sir. Completely. Blew.)

Northeast is in my friggin backyard. About a 5 minute drive from my house. I pass DB every day going to class xd.png And my mock trial team scrimmages Jefferson County every year. LOL! Small world!!! I've got extended family in Church Hill, and my sister is going to Northeast tongue.gif

Small world indeed smile.gif

When did you graduate? Or have you yet? We very possibly could know some of the same people lol.

I have class at the Kpt campus tomorrow and Thursday, actually...so weird...but I will confess, I use their computers to AP hunt sometimes >.>

But, in regards to the point of this thread, do you feel that my description of TN was accurate or a bit skewed???

Small world indeed smile.gif

When did you graduate? Or have you yet? We very possibly could know some of the same people lol.

I have class at the Kpt campus tomorrow and Thursday, actually...so weird...but I will confess, I use their computers to AP hunt sometimes >.>

But, in regards to the point of this thread, do you feel that my description of TN was accurate or a bit skewed???

Nah, I'm just a junior in highschool tongue.gif I was going to do some dual enrollment at northeast this year, but it just worked out better to take the classes elsewhere.

It's rather odd thinking that you're so close LOL. Just... odd xd.png

Very very very accurate. Especially the woman at walmart part. Yeah. And the guns. I may or may not have 5 or 6...

Ahhh....OH! Did you ever see the folks in the park across from DB on Saturdays with the really big, padded sticks? I totally used to do that! I was the short girl with the dark hair that carried a 7ft pole and wore a skirt xd.png

You can PM me if you'd like, because I feel like we're probably sidetracking the tread >.>

The only thing I could possibly add regarding the OP at this point is that I used to live in a fairly nice neighborhood where there were more deer wandering around than there were people.

Edited by auria

Ahhh....OH! Did you ever see the folks in the park across from DB on Saturdays with the really big, padded sticks? I totally used to do that! I was the short girl with the dark hair that carried a 7ft pole and wore a skirt xd.png

You can PM me if you'd like, because I feel like we're probably sidetracking the tread >.>

The only thing I could possibly add regarding the OP at this point is that I used to live in a fairly nice neighborhood where there were more deer wandering around than there were people.

PM sent ^.^

Yeah, the deer are way overpopulated here.

From Southern Ontario, Canada, here biggrin.gif And my BF's family is Dutch.

Those who want snow...be careful what you wish for, eh tongue.gif I always tell my Aussie friends that they'll love it for two days (especially when it's that beautiful, fluffy, movie type snow,) but will come to hate it like most of us, after 9 months of shoveling and cleaning the car off in -20degree (celcius) weather, lol.

However, it MUST snow on Christmas Eve so that there's snow for Christmas Day!

Edited by CDM