DragonNighthowler

Dragon's Comic and Random Art.

Hey, I'm doing a comic. I based it off one of my novels, and wondered what you guys thought. So far, I've only got the cover page, tongue.gif.

http://dragonnighthowler.deviantart.com/#/d41o4ff

I'll be posting the pages as I progress into the story.

Edit; A little something I've been working on tonight. It's unfinished, but I want to use it as my deviantart ID as soon as I give it color.

http://dragonnighthowler.deviantart.com/#/d45xihl

http://dragonnighthowler.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4b7563

Went crazy tonight and simply started scratching the table. This came out of it;

http://dragonnighthowler.deviantart.com/#/d46yc02

I'm working too hard... this is what comes out of my hands when I just don't care much about what the result is going to be,

Portrait lineart of the comic's main character;

Dave

I've made a writer's mistake and fallen in love with my own main character sleep.gif0. I'm an idiot!

I'm considering taking requests for hatchies. I've got to make a list, but if people are interested, you can check my art in my gallery.

COMIC;

My opinions on the pages are in the link. You're free to comment and critizice all you wish, in fact, I encourage you smile.gif.

Page 1.

Edited by DragonNighthowler

Looks promising. =D I'll be watching for the oncoming pages. :3

Your art looks amazing, too. :3

Looks promising. =D I'll be watching for the oncoming pages. :3

Your art looks amazing, too. :3

Thanks smile.gif

Oh, looks very interesting! I love your art- I wish I could draw as well as you do! Did you go to art school?

Oh, looks very interesting! I love your art- I wish I could draw as well as you do! Did you go to art school?

No, I didn't. It's all self taught (which shows in the quality of the paintings, not as good as other paintings out there).

An' bumpin' again, cuz I just went crazy and did a quick portrait of some random guy... who looks dangerously like the main character from one of my books. Oh well... tongue.gif

Bumping so it doesn't get deleted. I'm working on another painting and will remake the first (CENSORED) page of the comic. Ugh... I need to try a different style.

I like that you're working with realism. I suggest practicing with it a bit more and maybe getting used to the human body more? Because your characters all look very stiff.

If you want, I could give you a sample of Drawing Comics the Marvel Way that has a very good section on it.

I like your colours, though. :3

I like that you're working with realism. I suggest practicing with it a bit more and maybe getting used to the human body more? Because your characters all look very stiff.

If you want, I could give you a sample of Drawing Comics the Marvel Way that has a very good section on it.

I like your colours, though. :3

Yes, please!!! That' would be very, very helpful!!

I agree with you completely. I just can't get the human body...

I'm better with animals.

Edited by DragonNighthowler

Humans are very hard! We have a pretty large part of our brain dedicated to recognizing human faces. Which is why Uncanny Valley is so easy to do with humans, but not with other animals. If we mess one small thing up with the human face, we notice it, but we can be a lot looser with dogs.

Here are the pages on it I thought were helpful:

Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6

Thank you very much. ^^

I normally do use stick figures, rough lines and other references for my paintings (which I think pretty much shows very well in my DA ID pic..

I am quiet satified with how that one came out (hate the cloak so much!), although I do see some little issues here and there. It doesn't look as rigid as usually.

Why I didn't use references for the comic's first page? Because I'm just that stupid! xd.png

Honestly, I want to attempt something of this quality. It is a masterpiece in character design and color.

Why I went for realism? Because I'm stupid again xd.png.

I want to remake the first page using that style, and for that I need to create a larger file. I have some ideas on how to work on it. We'll see how it turns out, but I'm hopeful that monstruosity can be remade into something more beautiful. smile.gif

Do you happen to know any tutorial where I can see different facial expressions? I've been searching but found nothing of my appeal.

Thanks for your criticism and help. It is highly encouraging smile.gif

Not a problem, I enjoy giving crits to people who appreciate them. c: And, yes, that looked to be your best picture. The facial expression is bothering me, but I'm sure you know that.

Ooh. That comic is pretty nice.

Realism is excellent to practice with. You can't do cartoony if you never do realism.

I certainly do. My favourite one ever: http://tracyjb.deviantart.com/art/Lackadai...sions-193978013

In fact, I suggest you take a look at her comic: http://lackadaisycats.com/

It's just gorgeous. <3

LOL xd.png. I used a photo reference of myself for the face, and it is, actually, very accurate. I must have a weird face like that xd.png.

Thanks for the links. They're sure to be very helpful ^^.

If it wasn't 7;00 am here, I'd start painting right now, but I have to go to bed. Awww well, will do something tomorrow tongue.gif

Lol, not the face, just the expression. xd.png

Cool, can't wait to see something tomorrow.

Lol, not the face, just the expression. xd.png

Cool, can't wait to see something tomorrow.

Will take me longer than just a day. tongue.gif

I'm not a fast worker, and concerning I'm busy with the editions of my novel, will take a while before I can get something polished enough to show. Hope I don't shoot myself out of desperation xd.png.

Really need to work on those expressións. I'm buying a mirror or something.

And find a tutor. tongue.gif

Lol, that's fine! I was honestly just sort of allowing you to post updates so you aren't flagged as double-posting.

Honestly, mirrors are good for practice, but I've never really used them. For expressions, if I may be honest, cartoons are the best way to go. Make everything all loose and sloppy, make sure you understand what does what when you have x expressions. Then you start to work on realism. That's one of the few things where it's good to start with cartoony.

If you want, Scott McCloud had an excellent section on this in Understanding Comics. I could scan in a few pages of that? (Yes I own quite a few books like this - srsly recommend buying the Marvel Way and Understand Comics. Can never go wrong with those)

Haha, good luck!