Imbecamiel

Pseudo Low-Gen Dragons

For myself, I would consider it cheating. I can understand why it was done if it were just an extremely long lineage, but it would be easy to think they were trying to hide inbreeding and palm off an inbred even if it wasn't.

Besides, remember the Lost Dorkfaces? Entire lines were lost out of the lineage when scrolls were burned or dragons deleted. Why do that on purpose? Someday, some of the real ancestors may become popular and you would not be able to say if your dragon came from them or not.

It seems so...harsh. [Excuse HP reference] It's like when Voldemort tells Bellatrix to 'prune her family tree.' (When Tonks & Remus get married)

It doesn't bother me, but I can see why people could be upset at a trade if they didn't know what it was.

I have a lost dorkface. Those were not done on purpose, but from one person with 7 scrolls that was VERY active and got busted. Unfortunately, it was one of my best magma breeders and I gifted those eggs like nuts. But I don't see that as the same as someone going out of their way to make their own specific lineage.

How many weeks does it take for the tombstones to disappear anyway? And isn't one of the silver tinsel lines killing all the mates?

because even though it looks second-gen it's actually not?

This.

Even though I prefer short gens, I don't really like them (especially Even Gens) from killed parents. Mostly because I know it's not a real Even/Short Gen, and that just irks me.

Plus I just don't like the way it looks. The tombstones just look ugly in a lineage, IMO.

The tombstones on your scroll disappear, but take a look at the two dragons I linked above, mou325. Both have had at least one parent killed. Gaw shows as a cb alt black if you look at his lineage page, but if you look at his view page it shows parents as deceased. If you look at his child's page (his child) you'll see tombstones for his parents. On his own lineage page he looks cb, but on his children's pages he looks like a second gen with two tombstones for parents.

Eriasrhien, on the other hand, shows a tombstone on her father's side, but shows her mother's sprite on her lineage page. Her mother is still alive. On her view page it shows her mother's name and l ink, but says deceased for her father.

In both cases the parents were killed long enough ago for the tombstones to be gone from the owners' scrolls. This is how these two will always appear now.

Edit: And since one can always tell when a dragon's had parents killed, I don't consider it cheating at all. Of course, if offering to gift or trade a dragon that had parents or grandparents killed, I'd be upfront about the lost lineage. People can tell though. If you don't tell them upfront and they care, they'll ask.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

With the exception of a very few ALT blacks, only TJ has a caveborn ALT black/vine or caveborn hybrids.

Actually, the CB alt blacks people got due to a glitch got deceased parents added to their lineage because players were not supposed to have CB alt blacks. (I don't know if this has been reversed, though.) The sole exception to this rule might be CB alt blacks that were given as prizes for the tree decorating contest.

A dead dragon looks bad in a lineage, but I don't mind them too much.

Fake CBs look fake tongue.gif I always assume the lineage was inbred and/or messy and the owner was trying too hard. Such dragons are 'unbreedable' for me. If I got a rare like that, I would keep it but I wouldn't breed it.

Edited by natli

Tombstones look absolutely horrible in a lineage, so I won't trade it if it was really a low-gen.

If by whacking off the parent is a guilt, then woe me as I have truly sinned.

Honestly, I do it to make the lineage esthetically more pleasant, and not to make it more valuable in terms of trades. I already have a whole brood of low gens metals. I just like the way it look ... nothing more than that.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/IZmbr

I would love to continue with that even gens but alas, metals aren't breeding nor are blacks. xd.png

thanks for posting your lineage link

I was wondering what it would look like

IMO that looks a lot neater than a long ugly inbred line...but that is just my opinion unsure.gif

I would think if they tried to say it was a second gen, that is just dishonest, say it was from a long line and cleaned up...then again, if they caught it from AP like that, they have no way of knowing

To me the pseudo low-gen would have very little value because I would always be wondering what the person was trying to hide by killing the ancestors and I wouldn't breed it unless someone specifically request it. I dislike tombstones unless they are attributed to a zombie in a lineage. I would rather have a long messy lineage then an orphaned dragon.

I don't see the harm. It's not like you can claim they are real second gens. The tombstones are there. I have a project going on at the moment. I was gifted this pretty. It's a very special dragon to me because it was laid on my 25th wedding anniversary and the code is perfect. This is his mate. I'm planning exactly what the name says and I've offered the white eggs as gifts explaining what I'm doing. Some people have requested eggs knowing that eventually the lineage will return to step. As I've been upfront from the get go I can't see how it can be seen as cheating.

I don't see the harm. It's not like you can claim they are real second gens. The tombstones are there. I have a project going on at the moment. I was gifted this pretty. It's a very special dragon to me because it was laid on my 25th wedding anniversary and the code is perfect. This is his mate. I'm planning exactly what the name says and I've offered the white eggs as gifts explaining what I'm doing. Some people have requested eggs knowing that eventually the lineage will return to step. As I've been upfront from the get go I can't see how it can be seen as cheating.

Oh, gosh, that will be simply gorgeous! It's a perfect example of how a relatively useless and ugly dragon can be transformed into something wonderful by killing it. Congratulations. I can't believe how perfect the code is. smile.gif

I just reread this and realized it may seem like I was calling your particular dragon ugly, which isn't the case (I actually think that Silver's lineage has a nice shape . . . almost what I'd call an "irregular even gen"). I just meant that yours is a good example of creating amazing lineages.

It's possible I'm being overly cautious as most probably understood what I meant, but I've been on a roll with misunderstandings lately. I really need to learn to choose words more carefully. dry.gif

Edited by Goslander

I am completely fine with it. Someone I know was once wondering why people would do such a thing. How would we like it if we were killed to make our lineage look better. They're only pixels, but still it was wrong to this person.I asked if they would abuse or neglect an unborn child. Of course that would be a no, but being part of a neglected chat doesn't change that in a pixel world.

About a week later they had come up with a pair they would eventually "trim down" and successfully killed both the adults.

I don't consider it cheating, it's simply taking a lazy shortcut. Sometimes there is no other option for these dragons. I was wanting to be able to have one prize dragon from each of the colors, and one magi from each of the colors. I realized that this was nearly impossible (but I'm still hoping I can get enough to trade) so I thought, if I could get one prize dragon from each color and then have similar lineaged magis to breed to...also not going to happen. If I can't start my lineage with second gens the I will start it with third gens and a line of tombstones. I want this lineage for myself. I could care less if people do not think it's valuable because there are tombstones. I'm not doing this for value reasons, but to make the lineage and share it with people. I would obviously label such a lineage as "doctored" and anyone who feels fooled by it being not so, is indeed a fool.

It's a perfect example of how a relatively useless and ugly dragon can be transformed into something wonderful by killing it.

Useless and ugly being in the eye of the beholder. I have some metals that don't have what would typically be considered beautiful lineages but their offspring have been embraced by other people just for being metals. I have to say I believe I would be terribly annoyed if someone were to have taken that baby and after getting an egg from it, killed it to improve the quality of the line. If I'm not mistaken that would take the offspring off of my dragon's progeny page. While I am a firm believer in doing whatever you want with your dragon, it is still a nice thing to take other people's feelings into consideration, which is another reason I dislike the idea of fake low gens. Your actions makes changes to the scroll of others. ....unless something has changed that I'm not aware of which wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Edited by Sir Barton

I was actually thinking about doing that to this girl, as I own both the parents and one set of the grandparents (and I think the other grandparents have enough kids that they won't mind tongue.gif). She's inbred, but my only alt black. I don't care about it so I could offer low-gen black eggs or whatever (considering breeding now, I probably couldn't get any anyway lul), I just want my dragon to have a prettier lineage. (She's one of my BA babies. D<)

Edited by NixAyum

Meh, I think it's kind of a waste to kill rares, especially metallics, just to make the lineage seem shorter. I really don't care if a dragon has a long, messy lineage anyway. But I'd rather have two or three dragons rather than one that seems to be low gen.

I feel the same way about them as I feel about counterfeit coins: just because they look like something desirable doesn't mean they are. They're just fakes and I don't want them.

I dont like it. It's more or less lying about your dragon. i would rather have the long lineaged dragon. i hate seeing tombstones on "pretty" lineages - to me that just just messes everything up and makes the "pretty" lineage look ugly.

I saw someone had actually started that with one of the stairstep tinsel lineages and was immediately put off by it. What made it worse was that it wasn't just one tombstone, it was several.

Worse thing ever in lineages.

I have to say I believe I would be terribly annoyed if someone were to have taken that baby and after getting an egg from it, killed it to improve the quality of the line. If I'm not mistaken that would take the offspring off of my dragon's progeny page.

Both parents of the silver are on my scroll.

Edited by Wiz

If I'm not mistaken that would take the offspring off of my dragon's progeny page. While I am a firm believer in doing whatever you want with your dragon, it is still a nice thing to take other people's feelings into consideration, which is another reason I dislike the idea of fake low gens. Your actions makes changes to the scroll of others. ....unless something has changed that I'm not aware of which wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I don't see that as changing your scroll, really. It's merely deleting something you didn't like enough to keep on your own scroll. Now, when I abandon an egg and someone names it, that does change my scroll, and not always in ways I appreciate. That's hardly an argument against allowing players to name bred dragons they catch in the AP, though.

I plan to do something like this in the future - using dragons I bred and that are on my scroll, so no one could feel offended.

I don't like those low gen shinies, that have all tombstones in first gen, but I'm okay with few tombstones (one parent dead).

I don't see that as changing your scroll, really. It's merely deleting something you didn't like enough to keep on your own scroll. Now, when I abandon an egg and someone names it, that does change my scroll, and not always in ways I appreciate. That's hardly an argument against allowing players to name bred dragons they catch in the AP, though.

I don't release anything that I don't deem "pretty enough" to not keep on my scroll. I release and give dragons with the idea that others would want them. It's a "share the wealth" idea not throwing out the trash so it ends up being a slap in the face when something rare gets killed.

Please point out where I said that players shouldn't be allowed to kill their dragons to make a fake lower gen.

I like "fake" lower gens, they can give rise to very interesting and pretty lineages. Right at the moment, I actually value them above "real" low-gens in most cases - I can catch CBs and breed or trade for low-gens pretty easily, getting someone to kill two of their dragons is a higher bar to clear (and I don't like killing my own rares). As others have said, deceit doesn't seem to come into it, it's always easy to tell whether a dragon is actually CB or not.

I'm not very attached to the tombstone stairsteps for whatever reason, but I'd love to have e.g. a lineage made entirely of alt blacks, or alt blacks and some rare breed, with no ordinary blacks and the only tombstones in the first generation - I think that would look great.

EDIT: I also clearly think differently to the people saying "you know it's not a REAL low-gen, and it might secretly be inbred, you just can't tell anymore!" For me, the virtue of low-gen dragons is purely that they look nice in lineages, and if inbreeding is invisible, I couldn't care less about it. So I get "I don't like the look of tombstones in lineages", but not "it might SECRETLY have something nasty in its lineage you don't know about!" I'm not criticizing those who think otherwise, it's just interesting that we see that aspect of the game so differently.

Edited by Ifni