Imbecamiel

Pseudo Low-Gen Dragons

(Apologies if this has been discussed - I looked through all five pages of SD as well as running a search, and didn't see anything relevant.)

I'm curious: How do people feel about pseudo low-gen dragons? By that I mean if, for instance, someone had a Mettalic with a rather long or messy lineage. Then, when that Mettalic gave them a Mettalic egg, they killed the parent dragons. Eventually, that offspring would essentially look like a second-gen dragon, because the earlier ancestry would be cut off.

Now I, personally, would likely consider offspring from such a dragon more valuable than that from a dragon with a long (but clean) lineage. But I wondered how others would generally view it.

So: how do you feel about them? Would you see them as more valuable, because of the short lineage? Or less valuable, because you don't like killing dragons on principle, or because even though it looks second-gen it's actually not?

I feel similarly, and will probably do this at some point.

However, while they are more valuable, I think they're considerably less valuable than a real low gen.

Exactly this. I actually considered doing this, but with the great breeding rates, I'd rather keep my high gen rares. smile.gif Plus, it's obvious that a pseudo-low gen rare will not make as good a deal as a real low-gen, and probably no better than the high-gen it actually is.

It is simply beyond me why anyone would kill off their dragons just to make another dragon LOOK better. I'm against killing in general, but this sort of thing just seems...very unnecessary. I likely wouldn't take an egg if I found its ancestors had been purposefully killed to pretty the lineage.

Even if they're just pixels, I can only imagine how the dragons would feel if they'd just laid you a pretty new egg and you said, "Thank you. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to kill you both so you won't muck up this egg's lineage with your messiness."

It is simply beyond me why anyone would kill off their dragons just to make another dragon LOOK better. I'm against killing in general, but this sort of thing just seems...very unnecessary. I likely wouldn't take an egg if I found its ancestors had been purposefully killed to pretty the lineage.

Even if they're just pixels, I can only imagine how the dragons would feel if they'd just laid you a pretty new egg and you said, "Thank you. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to kill you both so you won't muck up this egg's lineage with your messiness."

LOL, I know. This has been one of the big things holding me back from trying such an experiment. I've never yet lost a single dragon - none of my eggs or hatchies died, even back when I was a confused newbie. I'd kinda hate to change that record intentionally now... Even if the potential rewards may be tempting to consider.

LOL, I know. This has been one of the big things holding me back from trying such an experiment. I've never yet lost a single dragon - none of my eggs or hatchies died, even back when I was a confused newbie. I'd kinda hate to change that record intentionally now... Even if the potential rewards may be tempting to consider.

This xd.png

Same thing, even when I was new nothing of mine died. The only deaths on my scroll ever have been vamp bites.

If I was going to trade for a dragon like this, I would probably treat it as the same gen that it now is. I don't mind too much.

For me, it would depend on the dragon. If it was a gold, silver or trio, it wouldn't bother me, because I probably wouldn't be able to tell if it was an original or not. But I still consider it cheating.

But if it was an ALT black/vine, a bluna, shallow water or geode, a holiday or a tinsel dragon, I wouldn't put any value on it. With the exception of a very few ALT blacks, only TJ has a caveborn ALT black/vine or caveborn hybrids. Original holiday dragons are usually of only one gender, so if I was offered the other gender, I'd know it was a fake.

But the tinsel dragons would be the worst, there are only 5 original golds, 10 original silvers and 15 original bronzes, making them all very traceable. So if someone offered me a 2nd gen tinsel and the parent was NOT an original, I would be VERY pissed off, because I would know the breeder cheated and was trying to cheat me.

But the tinsel dragons would be the worst, there are only 5 original golds, 10 original silvers and 15 original bronzes, making them all very traceable. So if someone offered me a 2nd gen tinsel and the parent was NOT an original, I would be VERY pissed off, because I would know the breeder cheated and was trying to cheat me.

And not to mention, someone would have had to have KILLED a TINSEL to get it that way. What a waste.

If by whacking off the parent is a guilt, then woe me as I have truly sinned.

Honestly, I do it to make the lineage esthetically more pleasant, and not to make it more valuable in terms of trades. I already have a whole brood of low gens metals. I just like the way it look ... nothing more than that.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/IZmbr

I would love to continue with that even gens but alas, metals aren't breeding nor are blacks. xd.png

For me, it would depend on the dragon. If it was a gold, silver or trio, it wouldn't bother me, because I probably wouldn't be able to tell if it was an original or not. But I still consider it cheating.

But if it was an ALT black/vine, a bluna, shallow water or geode, a holiday or a tinsel dragon, I wouldn't put any value on it. With the exception of a very few ALT blacks, only TJ has a caveborn ALT black/vine or caveborn hybrids. Original holiday dragons are usually of only one gender, so if I was offered the other gender, I'd know it was a fake.

Oh, absolutely, I would be upset if someone was using it that way, intentionally attempting to cheat people into thinking something was more valuable than it really was.

I was thinking more along the lines of cleaning things up nicely for lineage purposes - giving someone the ability to start fresher. And, if traded, presenting it as exactly that: a pseudo low-gen, which might nonetheless be useful and more valuable simply because of the short, nice-looking lineage.

I'm actually trying to decide whether to kill off my Tinsel once I keep a few of it's kids for them to be pseudo 2nd gens. I'm not a fan at all of messy inbred lineages. :/

I honestly like having pseudo low-gens better than messy lineages. One of my Golds had his mother killed and is now a 2nd gen. It gives me prettier mating opportunities than before.

Honestly, I'd rather have a messy and/or inbred lineage than a pseudo low-gen.

Personally, I don't like tombstones in lineages, so it wouldn't be valuable to me. I don't even really like zombies in lineages, because they're tombstones during the day. Just a quirk of mine.

I have no problem with killing pixels. I have killed many eggs with my vamp bites. I have created two zombies and, if I had any skill at all, would love to create a neglected even if it meant I lost eggs. Though it is a bit of a mystery to me at least why killing dragons in a lineage to shorten a gen benefits. Because, honestly, the only low gens I think of as low gens are natural low gens. If I were trading that's what I'd be interested in. It's kind of appearance vs. true fact to me you know? I guess if it makes the lineage look better in the players eyes it's all in the eye of the beholder as they say.

Personally, I don't see that they look better. There's a dead dragon in the middle of the room, and it just isn't pretty.

As far as taking any on my scroll, they have no trade value to me, and it would be frozen to prevent any chance of accidental breeding. I am not currently vamping anyone because I really don't want to kill any eggs or dragons.

You get over it. wink.gif ~points at her signature~

I've been sort of tempted to do the killing thing from time to time, but... eh. It was pretty painful during Halloween, when I created my zombies. And most of the things I might be interested in making a pseudo 2nd gen I'd be reluctant to kill anyways.

I do like zombie lineages, though!

This is interesting... I didn't even know this existed. Can someone please explain to me how the egg would appear 2nd gen by killing it's parents? Why would it only show the original parents and not the grandparents, great grandparents etc. in between the eggs killed parents and the original parents?

I like lineages purely for aesthetics. I haven't actually done this yet but plan to for a lot of my dragons since it gives me the options to make my long messy lineages, which I don't really care for, become something I will actually breed rather than just sit on my scroll.

Messy lineage < Pseudo low gen < Actual low gen, for me at least :3

Though when I do this, I only do it with the intention of making an even gen with them where all the CBs are deceased dragons so it actually has a pattern. Random dead dragons in lineages tend to irk me.

And sorry if this is off-topic, but I'd sooo much prefer if Zombies used their real sprite in lineages, regardless of the time of day, and would make a lot of lineages a lot more appealing to me as, as I said, tombstones in the lineage make me " dry.gif " laugh.gif

I feel similarly, and will probably do this at some point.

However, while they are more valuable, I think they're considerably less valuable than a real low gen.

Basically this. They're interesting on some occasions, but genuine low gens are more appealing.

thats horrable but I think that it might be valuble but not as valuble as a REAL low gen dragon

I'm not sure how it can possibly be deemed cheating, since I assume the whole point is to make the dragons look prettier. It's not like CB dragons haven't been bred. We just don't have any knowledge of their lineage, so it doesn't show up.

Anyway, for me a dragon is utterly worthless if its lineage is a mess, because my main joy in the game is going through lineage pages and seeing the prettiness people come up with. There are some gorgeous dragons out there that have beautifully incorporated those tombstones. And with how much of a pain in the butt it's been in my experience to get the dang dragons I want to kill to quit dodging the blade, I have to really respect the owner's ability to create the lineage to begin with. I had to give up my plan for a tombstone line because I lost patience. I don't see them as any less valuable than real low gens, and since I seem to be incapable of creating any, they're somewhat more valuable in my eyes.

Edited by Goslander

I'm not generally in favor of killing, though I'm considering trying this with some of my long lineaged golds and silvers. I'd make them part of a line called something like "Mortality lineage."

I started thinking about doing this because of these two dragons. I own them, but not their parents. I don't remember what their lineage was before, but you can see that now they appear to be second gen. Neither of them are actual second gens. I've been breeding these two together to see what they'll give me in the way of eggs. Nothing so far...

I'm not sure how it can possibly be deemed cheating, since I assume the whole point is to make the dragons look prettier. It's not like CB dragons haven't been bred. We just don't have any knowledge of their lineage, so it doesn't show up.

This.

It's not like they can overlay the sprite and convince you that it's from a completely new tinsel or anything. It's parents are dead (you should call it batman) and you can clearly see that BEFORE you trade for it.

I would never do such a thing, since I don't place so much value into the lineage of my dragons that I would actually kill the parents to make the child look "good".

Novelty value? Aesthetics? Well, it's not really my place to tell other users what they can do with their own dragons. :/

I think fake is fake but if it stays on your own scroll it shouldnt matter, if you are trading it then it is wrong!