changeling007

Biomes effect on Rarity

In this context, Rarity refers to commonness-rarity, not ratio-rarity

biomes have no effect on ratios. I know this.

Biomes are probably my favorite thing that has happened in a long time. I'm thrilled to have even a brief opportunity to catch dragons I'd never even seen on the front page before the existence of biomes.

But now the AP is full of those same dragons. I just about had a heart attack of joy every time I'd even /see/ a Terrae or Spitfire egg on the AP whether or not I managed to catch it. An yet lately refreshing the AP often spits up several Spitfire eggs and many Terrae's. Days before biome implementation, I had someone telling me how hard it was to get a hold of CB Terraes.

Rarity seems to be shifting. It wasn't even a week after biomes were implemented that I caught an raised my first cheese dragon. I've seen lots of them slip by in the desert since. I've caught and raised 3 CB thunders, the first thunder eggs I'd ever had on my scroll. I've traded away at least 3 more.

I didn't even know the egg descriptions for these before biomes. xd.png

I'm very happy to have biomes, which give someone like myself, who has no finger-awe coordination [click, THEN gawk], a chance at nabbing pretty "rares" like cheeses and trios.

It seems like a silly question now that I typed that all out, but I want to hear your opinions on the matter of dragon rarity. Is it suffering? Are you glad to see it drop? Maybe rarity is all in out heads? There have been people in the trading thread looking for some pretty common dragons to trade for cheeses and papers.

This is not a 'boo! Biomes suck, bring back the front' page topic. Go whine somewhere else, plzkthnx.

Edited by changeling007

Since the biomes have been implemented, I've managed to see a silver in the cave.

But I've also not seen a single ridgewing.

I've seen papers three times and seen cheeses four times. Before the Biomes, i'd never had seen one in the Cave before. I'd like to think that it's good that the "rarer" dragons are slightly easier to get but I have a feeling that it'll change what can and will be offered in trades and such.

For me, it seems to make hunting for eggs off the hour more difficult, but waiting for the hour far more rewarding.

Cheese and Paper dragons which I used to regard as impossible are now much more findable, as are the legendary trios. I have yet to get my hands on a Thunder, but I have seen them plenty of times, and that makes me happy.

Hunting for eggs OFF the hour feels a bit hit and miss. If the cave is blocked it seems like there is only lineaged commons in the AP.

The thing is, the rarity is the same, it's just that there are less people grabbing at any given egg at a time since they're split up across six caves instead of all in one. Some people, that means, are seeing a lot more rares and being able to catch the ones they see where they couldn't before. With the biomes, you only have to be the fastest of maybe 40 people. Often less. Instead of fastest of a couple hundred. On the other hand, since rares can appear in any of the six caves, if you aren't in the right place at the right time you don't see those rares. So I personally have seen and caught a lot less rares. I used to see them often in the single cave just because every rare that came up when I was on I saw. Now I don't necessarily see them all. So it's win some lose some smile.gif You're more likely to catch the rare eggs you see, but less likely to actually see rares, because you're really only seeing an average one in six.

Edited by 00n0b0dy

I love biomes. I went cave hunting in the desert all the time- then the new release came which makes cave hunting impossible (but I did swipe two nebulae (HURRRRRR!XD) in the alpine biome which I have since traded for a lovely set of 2nd gen purebred trios... <3)

Also, I caught 3 cheeses. Two of them are mine now (was going to give one to Coral but the power went out over there so she couldn't get on, and the egg hatched)

The thing is, the rarity is the same, it's just that there are less people grabbing at any given egg at a time since they're split up across six caves instead of all in one. Some people, that means, are seeing a lot more rares and being able to catch the ones they see where they couldn't before. With the biomes, you only have to be the fastest of maybe 40 people. Often less. Instead of fastest of a couple hundred. On the other hand, since rares can appear in any of the six caves, if you aren't in the right place at the right time you don't see those rares. So I personally have seen and caught a lot less rares. I used to see them often in the single cave just because every rare that came up when I was on I saw. Now I don't necessarily see them all. So it's win some lose some smile.gif You're more likely to catch the rare eggs you see, but less likely to actually see rares, because you're really only seeing an average one in six.

This. This exactly. Rarity is NOT shifting. There are not more rare eggs than before, they're just easier to spot because of less competition. The numbers aren't changing, really. It's just the perception of shifting because now people aren't competing against 100+ people on one page for an egg.

I openly admit I wasn't looking forward to biomes at all when they were first announced. I really didn't like the idea of the dragons being split up and having to hunt for eggs in several places.

However, once they arrived I became a total convert and now I love them. Okay, so they get a wee bit frustrating at times when the same three eggs sit there for what seems like forever (but isn't really), but that happened with one cave as well.

I've even seen a CB gold and refreshed over it three times before it hit me what it was (looks ashamed) and thus missed it and CB silvers (again no luck), but also trios and I've managed to nab more Ice and Magma. And I've nabbed several Dinos.

I really like the idea of hunting in different places and knowing if you really want a particular dragon you can go and sit in one biome and hopefully it'll pop up.

So a huge thumbs up for biomes from me.

I can't seem to be able to stalk anything. I've seen Hellfires, Terraes, Spitfires, and others of the sort in the AP. Also, I've found lots of CB Pygmies, which I love. Even caught a female White in the AP with a lovely lineage: ThuwedDorkface with a few smaller lineages as well. But the only thing mildly valuable on my scroll is a White Striped, and I got her before the Biomes. <.<

The thing is, the rarity is the same, it's just that there are less people grabbing at any given egg at a time since they're split up across six caves instead of all in one.

This is true. Perhaps 'rarity' is not quite what she means, but "commoness"?

It's true that spitfires used used to be almost unobtainable with the old way. /I/ never had one. I never even saw one either. I actually didnt know they existed.... >_>

But now spitfires are undesired. people are grabbing them because they hope for a stripe egg, unaware that stripes aren't desert dragons.

I think its all in our heads. Commoness depends on how many cavers catch and release eggs they find common. Eggs that some of us would look at and scream WHY WOULD YOU LET THAT GO????? Like the spitfires >w> I adore them.

I can't believe how many people say that Terraes and Spitfires were hard to get BB (Before Biomes). The Terraes and Spitfires I have on my Scroll (3 of each, sure, but that's all I wanted at the time) were each snagged BB. If it's a CB Spitfire you want - go to the Desert during the ourlies and click on a Bright Markings egg. The Terraes are always dropping in the Forest.

'm learning to like the Biomes, at least I get to SEE the Rares I can't get (sooooo frustrating, I've been here since '08 and, despite the length of my Scroll, STILL have no CB Metallics or Blacks. <Hangs head in shame> But I DO have a Cheese, and have Traded others, as well as Papers and have managed to catch Dinos too.

I have'nt seen a CB Thunder since the Biomes, but I've seen more Ices and Magmas, although have'nt caught any. I also saw a CB Black, and failed to catch it. Since Biomes I've also caught more Paper, Whites and Vines. But No nebulas. :/ It's all about luck of what is on when you're on, to an even greater extent than before. I was a biome skeptic at first, but now I love them. I just wish the Desert was'nt always empty whenever I'm online. tongue.gif

I love biomes. Makes hunting for us slow computer/connections/clumsy fingered a little easier. Before, I had issues catching BBW, and now my army is growing!

Also terraes. I got frustrated with my even gen project, but I'm starting to continue it as I can see them more often (and people don't seem to like them much).

The first time EVER, in like years that I saw a CB silver was in the desert once. Missed it, but I was so overjoyed. Gave me hope to finally be able to snag my very own CB silver (I have no metals either, and I'm nearing the 500 dragons, and been here for 3 years).

So, overall, I like it... alot.png. ^^

I hang out mostly in the desert and was surprised to see so many papers, thunders, nebulas, and cheeses go by. Since the addition of biomes I've had the chance to finally catch up on finishing my nebula collection, and did so with ease.

I have seen a few CB blacks, a CB silver, and even caught a CB gold! (yes I almost had a heart attack!) I think that everyone is seeing more rares in the biomes because people are spread out over a bigger area, so less demand and attention on the same three eggs like in the old cave. It may just be me, but I know which dragons are common and available in the biome I'm searching, so a rare egg description stands out like a beacon in a crowd of the same few commons.

I havent seen a rare diffrence excpet in findin cb sesonals which has now become harder

Honestly, I'm seeing just about as many rares as I was before, even though that's pretty much zero. >.< I still like the biomes, though. I mean, I've gotten 2 CB Terraes from the AP since they came out. The rarities aren't changing, our strange brains that have had too much internet are tongue.gif .

I have'nt seen a CB Thunder since the Biomes, but I've seen more Ices and Magmas, although have'nt caught any. I also saw a CB Black, and failed to catch it. Since Biomes I've also caught more Paper, Whites and Vines. But No nebulas. :/ It's all about luck of what is on when you're on, to an even greater extent than before. I was a biome skeptic at first, but now I love them. I just wish the Desert was'nt always empty whenever I'm online. tongue.gif

Wow. I just sat through a roughly 28 minute drop in the Desert. So I'm not really sure what you mean - are you just always going to the Desert toward the end of the hour or what? I was truly amazed at the length of that Drop in the Desert.

And I've SEEN quite a few Thunders in the Desert - just have cruddy luck in grabbing them!

Seasonals can be snagged in the Forest with a little patience. ANNNND I saw a Silver in the Coastal biome. Missed it, of course.

Edited by oddsoxdi

The thing is, the rarity is the same, it's just that there are less people grabbing at any given egg at a time since they're split up across six caves instead of all in one. Some people, that means, are seeing a lot more rares and being able to catch the ones they see where they couldn't before. With the biomes, you only have to be the fastest of maybe 40 people. Often less. Instead of fastest of a couple hundred. On the other hand, since rares can appear in any of the six caves, if you aren't in the right place at the right time you don't see those rares.

I have seen SOOO many CB blacks since the biomes went up it is unbelievable. Before I would see the once in a great while CB black, but I would be competing against 100-300 people for it. I have tendonitis/pre-carpal tunnel in my wrists so it's hard for me to sit and hunt the cave for long periods of time and if my wrist has begun to go numb it's hard to "click fast" against so many other people. I've seen several golds too, but no silvers yet. Lots of papers and some chickens, but only one dino.

When the biomes first came out and people hadn't quite figured out what eggs would show up where I was able to catch my first CB black since the great lag in March 2009! Competing against 20-30 people is much easier. smile.gif

I've been trying to catch more CB blacks, but now that the biomes have "settled in" and people know where to hunt at what times... the competition is higher... averaging 30-50 people. The desert drops have moved fast but the tension I have to keep in my hand to click fast makes my hand go numb faster so it's not been easy lately. However, last night I caught my 2nd CB black, because of the combination of the biomes and because of the partial cave block working in my favor due to the new egg release. When I caught the black last night I was only competing against 9 people. smile.gif

When hunting the desert for Thunders you have to be there at exactly the top of the hour (not before it). When the desert drops move fast it can go through all of the eggs in like 3-6 minutes so you window of time is very short until the next hour hits. Thunders are quite frequent there.. sometimes they sit there and make it all the way down to the 3rd egg slot before someone takes it because people are sick of catching them LOL.

Before the new egg release, nebulas were also pretty common in the desert drops. Now that the new egg release has saturated the desert (& with partial cave blocking in place), it's possible for the desert drops to last almost 20-30 minutes at the moment.

Edited by WraithZephyr

I don't think Biomes has effected rarity any, but what it has done is make some breeds much more accessible.

Before Biomes I'd almost given up on catching Spitfires from the cave and just stalked the AP for "not a Stripe" kicks. Now I can get them fairly easily from the Desert (and another new favorite and Nebula are also there so win-win)

Sure, I miss that brief surge of hope for a CB Stripe, but I frankly have Stripe trade fodder now so I'll have no trouble eventually trading for the last CB Stripe I really need.

...though I think some people must reflex click brightly colored because I still see a lot of CB Spits in the AP.

This may not have anything to do with the release of biomes, but I did notice hellfires and terraes increased in commonness.

There's also a marked decrease in stripes and embers.

This is true. Perhaps 'rarity' is not quite what she means, but "commoness"?

It's true that spitfires used used to be almost unobtainable with the old way. /I/ never had one. I never even saw one either. I actually didnt know they existed.... >_>

But now spitfires are undesired. people are grabbing them because they hope for a stripe egg, unaware that stripes aren't desert dragons.

I think its all in our heads. Commoness depends on how many cavers catch and release eggs they find common. Eggs that some of us would look at and scream WHY WOULD YOU LET THAT GO????? Like the spitfires >w> I adore them.

Thats it, actually.

Everything I once considered Rare has become so common now, except for metalics and dinos.

This may not have anything to do with the release of biomes, but I did notice hellfires and terraes increased in commonness.

There's also a marked decrease in stripes and embers.

I caught a CB Ember almost 2 weeks ago and nearly jumped out of my skin laugh.gif

Today alone I saw a chicken and two papers fly by in the desert. I love the biomes since they make hunting for a specific breed so much easier! Especially since you only have to deal with the common blockers that are specific to each biome. There's no way I'd ever see three stone eggs clogging the coast lol

Since the biomes' release I have got each legendary trio(I was shocked!) and a Cheese, though I could only dream of them before. Hunting became much easier, if you saw a rare in a biome it's a half of the success and not the 1% of it like before the update. Day/Night Glories, Nocturnal, Sunrise/Sunset and Electric became much more common and important BSAs(Pinks and Reds) are more easy to get now.

Edited by Neuko

I've caught a CB ice off the cave and I gifted it to someone. I haven't seen a CB trio since their release. Thumbs up from me. However, it's mad it more difficult for me to hunt for the eggs I love, since I have to travel all the biomes! laugh.gif