Obscure_Trash

Cave Feedback

Sometimes some characters in codes can look the same. The use of a monospaced font like the one below would reduce confusion when looking at a code, as currently stuff like I, l and 1 are sometimes quite confusingly similar.

Monospaced font example.

1 l I

YOU can always choose what fonts your browser defaults to.

Just now, Fuzzbucket said:

Some styles use the browser default monospace font for the code boxes, but at least Default does not.

9 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

It will probably then default to monospace for everything. Unless I use some styling extension, but TJ09 in his infinite wisdom doesn't put helpful CSS classes on stuff like codes and the ones which do exist are very obfuscated.

In my browser options I can choose all sorts of stuff, fontwise:

233544735_Image1.png.d5bd0264b29ed1855118660b113fce99.png

Will that not cover it ?

That would change everything and not just codes.

Everything on every website. All text.

Edited by osmarks

1 hour ago, osmarks said:

Monospaced font example.

1 l I

I know very little about 'monospaced' anything, but I have to say the quoted text above doesn't look much different to me or much easier to see the differences then what DC currently has. The first two in particular, they both have lines across the bottom of the vertical line, and they both have little nub-lines pointing to the left on the top of the vertical line. This is just to say, I'm not sure a change to 'monospaced' would actually be much better...

1 minute ago, HeatherMarie said:

I know very little about 'monospaced' anything, but I have to say the quoted text above doesn't look much different to me or much easier to see the differences then what DC currently has. The first two in particular, they both have lines across the bottom of the vertical line, and they both have little nub-lines pointing to the left on the top of the vertical line. This is just to say, I'm not sure a change to 'monospaced' would actually be much better...

You may be right. It does at least make I and l more distinct, and other monospaced fonts do exist - this is just the one the forum supports.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

In my browser options I can choose all sorts of stuff, fontwise:

233544735_Image1.png.d5bd0264b29ed1855118660b113fce99.png

Will that not cover it ?

Almost, almost... It does not change the font of the link preview we use to read the codes before picking them from the cave. Again it's a browser/system thing and not something TJ can do anything about... I have tried some extensions but they didn't do anything, either. 

I kind of... see the difference but I have to squint - the lowercase L is slightly taller than the uppercase I and than other uppercase letters. Most of the hunts are blind shots though, one does not have time to squint before the egg is gone. And one cannot use the lineage trick anymore to check. 💔

Was recommended I take this relatively small problem here: there's a slight error with chicken eggs sprites. The outline of the hatching sequence is subtly darker than the whole and dead sprites.
latest?cb=20100328010108Chicken crack 1Chicken crack 5Chicken dead egg
(I apologize if these are displaying incorrectly for anyone else, my computer isn't cooperating and I can't for the life of my figure out what's happening)
Anyways, this obviously is a low priority issue, but the inconsistency is bugging me.

All old egg sprites used to have darker outlines. I'm going to guess there slipped through the cracks when the rest were updated.

The cracking sequence is an overlay, so it would affect all eggs which use the same sequence (in this case, all pygmy eggs).

My Cave Feedback

I've been playing DC for 10 years straight now.

I really love this game, it kept me busy for years, planning, discussing, suggesting and trading. I am not very much online these days but I still keep my scroll updated and my dragons growing. I'll jump straight to the point and list the 5 most important things that could change, imho. This is what I believe would be an HUGE improvment to this game. I'm grateful to all the free stuff that this game is providing the players with, and most of all I'm so glad to see improvement being done year after year, but loving this game also means to help it improving. I hope it gets more and more played over time but this can't be without a good balance of innovation and traditional gameplay.

1) Game independace

I lost count of how many times this game didn't felt "free" to evolve because a small group of players opposing to change. I would like to see the site owner complety free to do any change to the game, the gameplay, the art, and the dragon mechanics. If I'm the site owner and I want to make Black Sweetlings breed true I make them breed true, I don't need the spiter permission. If I want to update a sprite in a certain way I do. If I want to relase splash arts, change BSA I do. Own the copyrights of your own game, either buying the sprite or to make sign an artist agreement to retain all rights of the art. Seeing drama over and over is so tiresome and even more tiresome is hearing people to tell you to deal with it without giving any real motivation. 

2) End of Exclusivity

This is a free adoptable game. The pourpose of the game is to COLLECT dragons to breed them and do lineages. If you go against the core of this game, the collection side, and make certain breeds of dragons or certain sprites part of the game but UNcollectable by 98% of the userbase you create a gap. A gap filled with players unable to reach scroll goals and ending frustrated over time because no matter how much they try, no matter how much they love the game or for how long they played it: they will never have the same lineage making ability of other players. They will also never have the same trading strenght. They will never being able to truly compete, hence, they lost since beginning. It could take 1, 2 or even 5 years to realize that, but ultimately there are A players and B players: those who can produce all kinds of lineages and those who aren't allowed to. 

I'm talking about CB HYbrids, CB ALTs, Spriter ALTS, 3 different variations of Snow Angels, 2 different variations of sweetlings. This is the true, weather you argue to change it or not . Also, this is unfair and unnecessary. Make having all sprites, all gen of dragons and all collectables from Events hard but not impossible.

3) Gameplay Update

Dragon Cave has easy mechanics and it's simple to learn what to do. This is a positive thing, however the game would benefit from the introduction of something new from time to time. The best DC birthday so far was the tenth one because it gave a lot of in game features. Here are some examples of what would refresh the game:

- Hatcheries in game. (notice that this would encourage the players to spend even more time in the gamesite and could regulate who insert dragons into hatchieres, eliminating view bombing)

- New Biomes Link to the Suggestion tread

- New actions for adult dragons (JUST EXAMPLE, don't stress them out, if you want to discuss them go open an individual topic: new BSA, new in game combat sistem, "Feed" action to make them eat and if their hunger bar is full they can use the "Hunt" ability to fetch you shards for the Market) 

- In game contests that reward players in the long run. For example there could be: "build your best lineage contest" and playerbase could vote through in game poll. 

4) Art Update

- New in-game world map that looks more realistic and detailed.

- Small splash art or more pixel art on the enciclopedia, to make it more worth unlocking.

- New scroll visualization to group dragons into separate boxes (like a pokedex for examples). We also don't need to see  Views, Unique, Views and Clicks for adult dragons, that space could be used for so much more.

- Customizable Avatar representing the user as a dragon keeper. Said Avatar could also have a house, also customizable <- improves immersion and lore

- Dragon Ecyclopedia and Raffles as part of the gameplay itself are a bit wasted into Account Setting tab. It would be nice if they were more visible into the game.

5 Rarity and Biodiversity

Keep the rarity and the ratio balanced. There is no need of dragons who are unobtainable. Take advantage of the Market System that already assigns a value to each breed and use it as a real currency system, categorizing each breed on "expensive levels" so people can make realistic trading demands and offers.

Biodiversity means making the world of Valkemare alive by giving lore notes and introducing stuff like official Dragon Sub Types (giving new fantasy names for western, eastern, DC drakes) and keeping the biodiversity by slowling leveling up the numbers for the various dragon types.

Edited by Naruhina_94

Whoa, text.

1. I do not agree. Artists make sprites for free, they should be able do as they please with it. I would also note that the "issues" with changing art is almost always the players getting upset that their "favorite" sprite is now ruined. Not the artists.

2. While it might be nice, I won't hold my breath. There will always be someone who has something you don't. If this is changed are you going to ask for spriter's alts next?

3. Lot of stuff in this catogory. 

Hatcheries: if it wont create too much lag.

New biomes: not yet needed

Actions for adults: examples? Currently believe not needed, but I'd need to see what you're asking for.

Contests: no. It will either be a popularity  contest or require too much investment. Keep the game simple.

Pools: what does this mean?

4. Lot of stuff here too.

New map: cant say I look at the one we have, the links are easier. Why bother.

Encyclopedia: already has motivation to complete? Need sprites to trade/market. And also the lore aspect. While I'm not against, I dont see how a picture (more free art you're demanding from the artists btw) would make someone complete it or not. They already want to see all the things, or they dont care.

Pokedex: this is not pokemon.

Avatar: no interaction allowed between scrolls for legal reasons.

Encyclopedia/raffle: where would you put it that won't cause clutter?

5. There is already a suggestion thread to update ratios based on the market values. To get more of the sub-types more have to be created and they just aren't made as often. Become a spriter and create some. 

Heck of a lot of suggestions here, to get real feedback each one really needs it's own thread.

First, I agree these (fairly major) ideas/suggestions probably each need their own thread. 

9 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

2. While it might be nice, I won't hold my breath. There will always be someone who has something you don't. If this is changed are you going to ask for spriter's alts next?

Pretty much agree with this. There will *always* be something some users have and some don't, whether it's CB Golds or CB Prizes or some special lineages. How is it decided what different things would be 'unfair' and 'unnecessary' enough to change? Should everyone easily get 2g Thuweds too? Should Neglected-making be changed, since so many people just can't seem to make one themselves no matter how hard they try? Where is that line drawn, and how is that decided? (Also, I really can never support 'trade value' as a reason for drastic changes, trade value is *user*-driven, it has nothing to do with site mechanics at all. Users decide what is valuable to them, what should be traded for what, etc. Why are Spriter's Alt descendants special? Because users decided they are, users decided having a specific sprite in a lineage is valuable. That's on us, as users, not the site.)

3. Oh goodness where to begin. Many of this has been talked about before without much consensus (or without much support). Hatcheries on-site had a very long and enthusiastic thread, with both yes and no sides very vocal and logical about their side.

New biomes I'd actually very much be in favor of, but again that really needs it's own thread, because what new biomes exactly? What dragons would belong in each new biome? Etc etc.

Actually, the entirety of your 3rd point needs their own dedicated threads with *more detail*. No one is going to bother really discussing stuff like 'new actions for adult dragons' with no jumping-off point. What kind of actions? Which adults? Why is this needed? Etc etc. 

4. A lot of people have been playing DC for so long because it's fairly simple design-wise and game-wise. Many people aren't interested in games that bombard you with bright colors and random unnecessary pictures etc etc. DC is 14 year old now, still going strong, partially *because* of it's simplicity. We don't want some sort of Pokemon knock-off boxes, or a customizable house (???) for a 'character' that is very much a vague 2nd-person afterthought in the game. 

And also:

9 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

Encyclopedia: already has motivation to complete? Need sprites to trade/market. And also the lore aspect. While I'm not against, I dont see how a picture (more free art you're demanding from the artists btw) would make someone complete it or not. They already want to see all the things, or they dont care.

Yeaaaah, so in #1 you want DC to completely own artist's work and basically give the artists no rights at all, but you also want to add a ton more art to the site?? 

5... Not really sure what to say here? Ratio is royally messed up, most of us know that. It's nothing new. Feel free to add your thoughts in the many other suggestion threads about that. The Market is *not* an indicator of 'value' in any way whatsoever. Again, value depends on what users want, not what an algorithm/code comes up with. Also, the Market has become notorious for seeming totally off and making people very confused, see: Trios costing (way!) more than Golds, Xenos being surprisingly cheap (the same as Kyanites!), etc etc. 

I agree with most of what DragonlLady says. To highlight a few, though: 

1. Absolutely agree: that artists create sprites for free, and should absolutely retain control.  They should also have control of any "updates" wherever it is at all possible. I am one of those still sad about the golds, who are not at all like the dragon I worked to hard to get on my scroll, lovely though they are. As you say, Naruhina_94, this is a collecting game. It is the only collection I know where you collect something which is then taken away and changed into something you no longer recognise. (Yes the golds were extreme and there have been a lot of good upgrades since, but even so.)

2. Really not that important. The point of hybrids is that they are hybrids. If you make them CB they lose their hybrid essence. IF i hadn't been for offering them as HMs nly TJ woudl hae ever had them - and that would be fine by me; Thuweds are already exclusive; fine.

I'm talking about CB Hybrids, CB ALTs, Spriter ALTS, 3 different variations of Snow Angels, 2 different variations of sweetlings. This is the true, weather you argue to change it or not . Also, this is unfair and unnecessary. Make having all sprites, all gen of dragons and all collectables from Events hard but not impossible.

Spriters' Alts - REALLY ? We are so lucky to have our spriters. You think they shouldn't be allowed a little bit of special treatment ? As for the sweetlings and snow angels - hey just add to the variety. My only "thing" about the snow angels is that I didn't get the one I hoped for. Big deal. Sweetlings - muttering about these should be over by now. It is NOT going to change and while I think the final change should have been undone and things left as they were, I would never support trying to take it further. A generous spriter did a kind thing and gets pilloried for it with tedious regularity.. Slap her in the face again, why don't you ?

It may in your view be "unnecessary" but it is not UNFAIR. There are so many things in life others can have that I can't.  So what ? It would be plain greedy to demand everyone should have everything they want. Sure I'd like a pair of CB prizes - all 6 variants. Is it UNFAIR that I basically can't ever hope top ? Nope.

3. Hatcheries: if it wont create too much lag.

Meh.

New biomes.

Not necessary; I don't mind but I'd really rather not.

Actions for adults

What on earth do you mean ? But this game is valuable for its gentleness; I don't support anything that would make it need more attention than it currently does.

Contests: 

No no no no. We are rewarded by playing.

Did I say ? PLEASE no. What for ?

In Game pools

Pardon ? I can't begin to imagine what this means.

4. New map:

What for ? Who actually uses it ? Well, you, clearly, Naruhina_94 - but what is its actual purpose ?

Small splash art or more pixel art on the encyclopedia, to make it more worth unlocking.

Thanks but no thanks. If it isn't worth unlocking, no-one has to do it.

- New scroll visualization to group dragons into separate boxes (like a pokedex for examples). We also don't need to see  Views, Unique, Views and Clicks for adult dragons, that space could be used for so much more

We could use better sorting options but we don't come here to play Pokemon, and suggestions taken from other games don't fit here. As to viewing clicks etc - a lot of us like to see them. So you don't. Again - so what ?

- Customizable Avatar representing the user as a dragon keeper. Said Avatar could also have a house, also customizable <- improves immersion and lore

There are a lot of players who don't actually bother wit the lore at all. Why bother with this ? Make your own lore.

- Dragon Encyclopedia and Raffles as part of the gameplay itself are a bit wasted into Account Setting tab. It would be nice if they were more visible into the game.

I'd be glad of a direct link to the encyclopaedia; there is a thread asking for exactly that - did you look and chip in ? The best suggestion has it from a link to the "unique breeds" text,

5 Rarity and Biodiversity

Keep the rarity and the ratio balanced. There is no need of dragons who are unobtainable. Take advantage of the Market System that already assigns a value to each breed and use it as a real currency system, categorizing each breed on "expensive levels" so people can make realistic trading demands and offers.

Biodiversity means making the world of Valkemare alive by giving lore notes and introducing stuff like official Dragon Sub Types (giving new fantasy names for western, eastern, DC drakes) and keeping the biodiversity by slowling leveling up the numbers for the various dragon types.

This assumes everyone shares your views. While there are areas where the rations need adjusting, I wouldn't agree with all that you say here. Why not contribute to some of the existing threads discussing this issue; there's a lot of good stuff in them.

Not that that is actually what biodiversity means.

Biodiversity is the shortened form of two words "biological" and "diversity". It refers to all the variety of life that can be found on Earth (plants, animals, fungi and micro-organisms) as well as to the communities that they form and the habitats in which they live.

It has nothing to do with giving lore notes, new subtypes and new fantasy names to anything.

Heck of a lot of suggestions here, to get real feedback each one really needs it's own thread.

I couldn't agree more. TJ has said many times that if you people have a suggestion, it needs a thread where it can be thrashed out. That isn't going to happen with a portmanteau post like this. And there are threads discussing many of the things you say already.

13 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

Whoa, text.

1. I do not agree. Artists make sprites for free, they should be able do as they please with it. I would also note that the "issues" with changing art is almost always the players getting upset that their "favorite" sprite is now ruined. Not the artists.

2. While it might be nice, I won't hold my breath. There will always be someone who has something you don't. If this is changed are you going to ask for spriter's alts next

1. if they are able to do as they please they have too much control over the game. simple as that. And if they ask for benefits in return to their sprites they aren't giving them for free exactly, aren't they? benefits such has having unique dragons. It could be TJ generosity to give them those, but once there is the claim that they are entitled to have them, such you just just said the facade realy drops fast. If you're only motivation is you wouldn't hold your breath well... sorry. I'm grateful for all the art on site, but a collectable games with rection on collecting limited to the majority of players is a bit... mhe. Shall I become a in.cave spriter so I can have an unique alternative on my own and trade his 2nd gens for anything rare? Is this my only way to trade for 98% of the NB and CB metals trades ?

3. Lot of stuff in this catogory. 

Hatcheries: if it wont create too much lag.

New biomes: not yet needed

Actions for adults: examples? Currently believe not needed, but I'd need to see what you're asking for.

Contests: no. It will either be a popularity  contest or require too much investment. Keep the game simple.

Pools: what does this mean?

There is a suggestion already for new biomes has it would help spread the 256 breeds we have. Actions I meant something like fight (player interactions wiht no messages, like snow wars for example). I haven't given too much detail as this is not a suggestion tread. It was an overwall view. 

You know the minigames we do for holidays can be classified as contests too? raffles are contests. I mean any kind of small game implemented in DC to give a little more variety when you're egg locked.

Pools are just another way, i f TJ feels the need, to involve the community. For example if there is  a sprite to update or a mechanic to change it would be interesting to see a pool in game where you can vote.

4. Lot of stuff here too.

New map: cant say I look at the one we have, the links are easier. Why bother.

TJ himself said he was working on it last time I proposed it on a dedicate topic. A more polished look isn't a bad thing to ask.

I'm demanding? Cave feedback is now demanding? I'm ony listing what would be nice to see, but see you as you see fit. There are plenty of fan art and even beautiful pixel art made for events who could simply be stored in eciclopedia so it doesn't disappear when the even ends. 

Pokedex: this is not pokemon.

SO? it was an example of visual customing sorting, not asking for pokemon exactly.

Avatar: no interaction allowed between scrolls for legal reasons.

Never talked about player interaction. I'm talking of just making your account prettier by having an avatar of yourself.

Encyclopedia/raffle: where would you put it that won't cause clutter?

Next to said little avatar on the side of scroll. a Link. I'm not a site designer, nor I would go too deep as this is not a specific topic for it.

5. There is already a suggestion thread to update ratios based on the market values. To get more of the sub-types more have to be created and they just aren't made as often. Become a spriter and create some. 

Is this a topic to enlist as a spriter???? I 'm merely suggesting to keep the game fresh with new types of dragons so they look a bit more different from each other? Am I not allowed to talk if I dont sprite them? What's even your point here.

Edited by Naruhina_94

3 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

First, I agree these (fairly major) ideas/suggestions probably each need their own thread. 

Pretty much agree with this. There will *always* be something some users have and some don't, whether it's CB Golds or CB Prizes or some special lineages. How is it decided what different things would be 'unfair' and 'unnecessary' enough to change? Should everyone easily get 2g Thuweds too? Should Neglected-making be changed, since so many people just can't seem to make one themselves no matter how hard they try? Where is that line drawn, and how is that decided? (Also, I really can never support 'trade value' as a reason for drastic changes, trade value is *user*-driven, it has nothing to do with site mechanics at all. Users decide what is valuable to them, what should be traded for what, etc. Why are Spriter's Alt descendants special? Because users decided they are, users decided having a specific sprite in a lineage is valuable. That's on us, as users, not the site.)

3. Oh goodness where to begin. Many of this has been talked about before without much consensus (or without much support). Hatcheries on-site had a very long and enthusiastic thread, with both yes and no sides very vocal and logical about their side.

New biomes I'd actually very much be in favor of, but again that really needs it's own thread, because what new biomes exactly? What dragons would belong in each new biome? Etc etc.

Actually, the entirety of your 3rd point needs their own dedicated threads with *more detail*. No one is going to bother really discussing stuff like 'new actions for adult dragons' with no jumping-off point. What kind of actions? Which adults? Why is this needed? Etc etc. 

4. A lot of people have been playing DC for so long because it's fairly simple design-wise and game-wise. Many people aren't interested in games that bombard you with bright colors and random unnecessary pictures etc etc. DC is 14 year old now, still going strong, partially *because* of it's simplicity. We don't want some sort of Pokemon knock-off boxes, or a customizable house (???) for a 'character' that is very much a vague 2nd-person afterthought in the game. 

And also:

Yeaaaah, so in #1 you want DC to completely own artist's work and basically give the artists no rights at all, but you also want to add a ton more art to the site?? 

5... Not really sure what to say here? Ratio is royally messed up, most of us know that. It's nothing new. Feel free to add your thoughts in the many other suggestion threads about that. The Market is *not* an indicator of 'value' in any way whatsoever. Again, value depends on what users want, not what an algorithm/code comes up with. Also, the Market has become notorious for seeming totally off and making people very confused, see: Trios costing (way!) more than Golds, Xenos being surprisingly cheap (the same as Kyanites!), etc etc. 

it's pretty out on the open sky that the more something is unaccessible the more is wanted. People will never asked for long and beautiful lineages of commons who took monthes to be completed if they are offered a 2nd gen from an ALTernative unique sprite they won't hvae any means to have. I'm not here to create a wall for each suggestion, so many of them have been discussed (long time ago or withouth much visibility) in the past, This cave feedback of mine is for those who actually run this sie and can think of their own ways to put up these ideas. This also explains why I haven't go down on details about new actions or new biomes. I already made my statement in the specific topics. I only resumed them all here.

What I suggested wouldn't change the game meachanics, you would be free to do exactly the same things you're already doing with the nice addition of doing it in a fresh and updated game. No partecipation in "extenuating" minigames was suggested.

You asked me:  Should everyone easily get 2g Thuweds too?

It bothers me so much you used the word easly after I specifically wrote: Make having all sprites, all gen of dragons and all collectables from Events hard but not impossible.

2nd gen thuweds are already obtainable, so nothing i said relates to them, making this a poor example from you :(

8 minutes ago, Naruhina_94 said:

1. if they are able to do as they please they have too much control over the game. simple as that. And if they ask for benefits in return to their sprites they aren't giving them for free exactly, aren't they? benefits such has having unique dragons. It could be TJ generosity to give them those, but once there is the claim that they are entitled to have them, such you just just said the facade realy drops fast. If you're only motivation is you wouldn't hold your breath well... sorry.

No-one said it was their "only motivation". But why should they not get perks as a reward. Was my bank wrong to credit my account with £50 when I pointed out a fault (not one that cost anyone anything; just a way it could work a lot better) in their website ? I did it to benefit everyone;the £50 was a total surprise. But by your logic that sounds as if no-one should get a reward for anything.

There is a suggestion already for new biomes has it would help spread the 256 breeds we have. Actions I meant something like fight (player interactions wiht no messages, like snow wars for example). I haven't given too much detail as this is not a suggestion tread. It was an overwall view. 

Why not post in the thread asking for new biomes then ?

But things like fight have been discussed many times and got very little support.

You know the minigames we do for holidays can be classified as contests too? raffles are contests. I mean any kind of small game implemented in DC to give a little more variety when you're egg locked.

Several of the old ones can still be played on line - notably Valkemare. And there's nothing to win in those games, so they can't really be called contests. But I don't think anyone plays 24/7 - we can read a book or go for a walk when egg locked.

Pools are just another way, i f TJ feels the need, to involve the community. For example if there is  a sprite to update or a mechanic to change it would be interesting to see a pool in game where you can vote.

We already effectively vote by posting here. TJ said ages ago that polls of players are meaningless as they never involve anywhere close to a representative sample of players. HE said he prefers top read threads. (And he also said one suggestion to a thread.) When I joined there were in cave polls. They died because they were ineffective,

TJ himself said he was working on it last time I proposed it on a dedicate topic. A more polished look isn't a bad thing to ask.

No, but it would make no difference at all to playing the game,.

I'm demanding? Cave feedback is now demanding? I'm only listing what would be nice to see, but see you as you see fit. There are plenty of fan art and even beautiful pixel art made for events who could simply be stored in encyclopedia so it doesn't disappear when the even ends. 

If you want more encyclopaedia art, you are asking for it to be created - which means work for our artists. Who you think shouldn't get perks for doing it. If you want more art - as someone says - why not become a spriter. That would also give you something to do when bored and egg-locked.

But again - listing isn't the best way to get suggestions discussed. Contribute to threads about all these, or start threads if there aren't any already up there.

Personally, I agree with most points.

1) Game independence:  For as long as artists create art for DC without compensation, things have to stay the way they are - but what if TJ started compensating artists for their work, and did so for all art already on site? Because, as much as the status quo shouldn't be changed without compensation, there've been so many issues over the years where a lot of people were in favor of something - and then a single artist threw a hissy fit of "if you do that on YOUR SITE, I'll demand my art be taken down AT ONCE" to dictate the outcome, then other artists who would have been fine with the idea joined in because of "artists' rights" and sticking together and... nothing happened. Because one single person disagreed. No matter what kind of proposed game mechanic it was, it was always at the mercy of *all* site artists whose breeds would be involved. That's a lot of people who'd have to agree to something, and pretty much gives every single site artist the option to veto whatever. This cannot be a good thing for DC as a whole.

2) End of Exclusivity: I think that, as long as neither spriter's alts nor the handful of CB alts/hybrids/female hollies in existence are touched, this is a fair point. And the only breeds that it actually affects are Prizes, and maybe Sweetlings and Snow Angels. Since the Snow Angels have equal value for all varieties, keeping them as is is totally acceptable to me. And regarding Sweetlings - see point 1 (Game independence). Regarding the few CB alts/hybrids/female hollies, they're so few and far between that they're pretty much in their own little group - so little that to me, at least, they're of no consequence. Which leaves Prizes. I've said it before, and I'll say it again that their exclusive status feels awful to me, and I'd like to see them be achievable - eventually. (Personally, I've been here sinde before the Tree Decorating Contest, and haven't missed a single opportunity to try for a CB Prize. I still don't have a single one. And probably won't get one ever. Because RNG hates me. And I hate it.) Everything else - even the elusive CB gold - are achievable goals, thanks to the market. I'd love to see Prizes in there, too, but for a price.

3) Gameplay Update: This has a lot of subpoints, and I'd like to address them all.

• In-game hatchery: I'm pretty neutral on this. I see the benefits, but also some downsides. However, if implemented right (like giving us a scroll setting to not allow our scroll to be posted on any fansites or other hatcheries save the official DC hatchery), it could be a viable tool against view-bombing. As long as it doesn't cause any lag, I'd be in favor.
  • New biomes: We're getting closer to the number of dragons per biome to the level we had when there was just one cave - and, in some cases, have surpassed this already (unless you count all-biome dragons as 1/6, as TJ apparently does). So, yes, I'd like to see new biomes. Grasslands (steppe and meadows), wetlands (=swamps, sweetwater lakes, rivers and riversides...), deep cave, sky, some tiny island with lots of pygmies (island dwarfism), arctic/iceland (probably including tundra) and so on. Yes, please. If there aren't enough breeds to add to it, make sure to get more and invite everyone to join in an announcement 6 months in advance, like with ToT or Easter egg hunt. Give them their own subforum in DR to work on it.
  • New actions for adult dragons: I think this depends on what kind of actions you have in mind. Big no to compeletely new and unnecessary things like battling. BSAs, however... I'd love to see variations on certain BSAs or other breeds able to use them. Maybe give an alternative Incubate to Magmas, Embers, Spitfires (and probably some others). Maybe let Hellfires have a precog-like ability that only works on hatchlings (due to them being able to sniff out the gender of an ungendered hatchling). An alternate Ward for Guardians (maybe for eggs/hatchlings in teleports?) would also be a good thing. A bigger teleport for Mageia that allows teleportation of up to 6 items each way, maybe? Cooling down an egg (think anti-incubate) for water- or cold-based dragons, with slightly differing effects?
  • I don't know what to make of in-game contests, depends on the contest, I guess? And, well, what are in-game pools??? ETA: Oh, you mean POLLS, not POOLS! Gotcha!

4) Art update: Another one I'm neutral about. I think the one with the avatar representing you is a rather loaded suggestion, as it would mean we'd need either to come up with our own art (which would need to be modded just in case someone wants to use a dragon dick pic for their avatar or some such, which means lots of work for our mods), or we'd need site art to choose from and/or customize - which is a lot of work for any group of artists. Regarding the encyclopedia, I'd love to see the following things in there: Cracking sequence (since we can't freeze eggs), release announcement art (that egg art we usually have on our release announcements) and, if the artist is willing, some sketches or the kind of things we can sometimes find on the wiki) - if the artists are willing to allow TJ to use what's already there.

Regarding your scroll view page, I'd love to see the usual stats (views, unique views, clicks) for eggs and hatchlings only, then a little break with new the following columns: BSA usable (Yes, No or N/A), Breedable (Y/N), both with direct links to the respective actions. Also an indicator whether the dragon is lineaged or CB (with direct link to the lineage page).

Everything else is "fine, but not necessary" in my book.

5) Rarity and biodiversity: The only thing that's absolutely needed is balanced breeding ratios. (I don't quite understand your other points anyway.)

Edited by olympe

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

No-one said it was their "only motivation". But why should they not get perks as a reward. Was my bank wrong to credit my account with £50 when I pointed out a fault (not one that cost anyone anything; just a way it could work a lot better) in their website ? I did it to benefit everyone;the £50 was a total surprise. But by your logic that sounds as if no-one should get a reward for anything.

They can get rewards that wouldn't give such an huge impact over the gameplay of others? Like having an extra egg slot, a super cool banner on top of their scroll or the change if they want to see which dragonw ill be relased next?

Why not post in the thread asking for new biomes then ?

I did. And, as I already said, this is just an over list of what I would like. Not a specific topic of each suggestion. 

But things like fight have been discussed many times and got very little support.

Several of the old ones can still be played on line - notably Valkemare. And there's nothing to win in those games, so they can't really be called contests. But I don't think anyone plays 24/7 - we can read a book or go for a walk when egg locked.

I dont see it a good reason enough to shut down the mere suggestion of creating more game diversity and goals.

We already effectively vote by posting here. TJ said ages ago that polls of players are meaningless as they never involve anywhere close to a representative sample of players. HE said he prefers top read threads. (And he also said one suggestion to a thread.) When I joined there were in cave polls. They died because they were ineffective,

No, but it would make no difference at all to playing the game,.

If you want more encyclopaedia art, you are asking for it to be created - which means work for our artists. Who you think shouldn't get perks for doing it. If you want more art - as someone says - why not become a spriter. That would also give you something to do when bored and egg-locked.

But again - listing isn't the best way to get suggestions discussed. Contribute to threads about all these, or start threads if there aren't any already up there.

I do reply to treads. I thought a CAVE feedback tread was a tread too. A tread that you can't go into deep explanations, but you just give your overall current feeling.

And, I repeat myself once again: There are plenty of fan art and even beautiful pixel art made for events who could simply be stored in eciclopedia so they doesn't disappear when the even ends. 

7 minutes ago, Naruhina_94 said:

I do reply to threads. I thought a CAVE feedback thread was a thread too. A thread that you can't go into deep explanations, but you just give your overall current feeling.

And, I repeat myself once again: There are plenty of fan art and even beautiful pixel art made for events who could simply be stored in encyclopedia so they doesn't disappear when the event ends.

Fan art is not a part of the game and shouldn't be shown anywhere official. Sorry, but... The game is the game. Fan art can be in posts, deviantart, instagram - whatever. But not cluttering up the encyclopedia. That's for actual game related information and reference.

Other than that - yes this is a cave feedback thread - but a load of suggestions like this is never going to generate discussion of each one. Your overall feeling comes across as very unsatisfied; fair enough. But discussion of specific ideas is better in individual threads.  As such - I'm out.

Edited by Fuzzbucket