Obscure_Trash

Cave Feedback

The date would be enough, just like newer Tinsels are distinguished from the older ones by date, or how Arias and Frills from raffles are distinguished by date.

Well then, I don't think most people wanted him to flat out retire alt sweets. Shame for the alt-line breeders. You'd think the least he could do is ask the opinions of his users first.

With the retirement of my alts, I can NEVER complete things I've worked on for years. So I'm retiring my alts as well. Thanks a bunch, I'll never forget this event.

1 minute ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Well then, I don't think most people wanted him to flat out retire alt sweets. Shame for the alt-line breeders. You'd think the least he could do is ask the opinions of his users first.

Talking about me as if responding to a post that's not there (or as if I'm not right here) is...odd.

Nonetheless, the alts were a thing that should've always been more like spriter's alts—a one time deal that bred like normal in subsequent years. That's more or less how they were intended, only complicated by the fact that they persisted after removing the limit for bred dragons. Before then, trying to build any sort of multi-generational lineage with them involved finding someone willing to give up their own CBs to hold the dragon.

@Starscream Not much of a solution, if you ask me. Nobody was asking that he ruin breeding for alt owners. I know you don't care, but I feel bad for the rest who did.

@TJ09 Whether that's the case or not, then you should have removed their ability to multiply when limits were lifted. Now, now you have done damage to people who build lineages with the expectation they could actually continue them. I feel this is drastic and a better solution could have been reached. Never mind that if they want normal CB Sweetlings, they have to release their alts.

1 minute ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

@Starscream Not much of a solution, if you ask me. Nobody was asking that he ruin breeding for alt owners. I know you don't care, but I feel bad for the rest who did.

@TJ09 Whether that's the case or not, then you should have removed their ability to multiply when limits were lifted. Now, now you have done damage to people who build lineages with the expectation they could actually continue them. I feel this is drastic and a better solution could have been reached. Never mind that if they want normal CB Sweetlings, they have to release their alts.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

@TJ09 You may think you can attempt to erase the mistake, but it is far too late. Instead of backtracking, have you ever considered making them two separate breeds?

Edited by Dragon_Arbock

2 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

@TJ09. Never mind that if they want normal CB Sweetlings, they have to release their alts.

If they choose to want CB pinks, now they can release the alts. I choose not to.

9 minutes ago, Starscream said:

If they choose to want CB pinks, now they can release the alts. I choose not to.

I thought the whole point of not letting people get CB female Hollies, or male Mistletoes, or Blue-Wing Solstices was to not make people have to choose between keeping their old dragons and being left out, or releasing and getting new ones.. yet this is okay?

I think the reason between the gender thing was because that was a prize reward and that the default gender of the dragon was what was available. I honestly dislike pink, and I am glad to have a valentines dragon that is not pink. they're always pink red or white...

On 2/6/2018 at 6:37 PM, Nine said:

[snip]

If black sweetlings were just a badge, or didn't affect lineages, or were a slightly off shade of pink it probably wouldn't feel so bad... but they really are one of the coolest VDay dragons. My own bias aside, I always thought it was messed up black owners couldn't get pink ones too. I'd like to see the Sweetling Berlin Wall brought down and both sides end up happy.

This. All of this. 

I got my CB Sweets from the 5-minute drop directly after the affected drop, and I was devastated when I found out about the alts. Imo it was a mistake for them to be implemented period. Like others have said, glitches and data loss have occurred in similar situations where the end result was not the same. I recall a few years ago people's CB Hallowe'ens were auto-ing, as if affected by a breed limit. Did TJ implement an infinitely cooler version of the dragon for people whose eggs were lost? No. They were simply replaced.

38 minutes ago, Starscream said:

I think the reason between the gender thing was because that was a prize reward and that the default gender of the dragon was what was available. I honestly dislike pink, and I am glad to have a valentines dragon that is not pink. they're always pink red or white...

I'm just saying this, not trying to come off as whiny, mean, or petty but how is that fair to the rest of us? I absolutely adore the colouring of the chocolate coloured Sweetling and while I missed out on the sweetling release, it was something that was out of my control. It would have been better if the original CBs breed pink to everyone (like a true spriter's alts) in the beginning but that didn't happen and now we have a lot of lineages that will never be continued because of this decision (lineages that took years to build)

As for the whole colour scheme, I only like the radiant angels and barely tolerate the Soulstones mainly cause they're purple. I mean, this is just my thoughts after talking it over with a few people *shrugs*

I would have been fine (if miffed because it reads as a spiteful move) with retirement if the alts had been made retroactively pink. But they weren't, so now people have years of work effectively thrown in the garbage can because of this choice AND the primary issue about Sweetling alts was not addressed. This is quite possibly the worst possible "solution".

Edited by Guillotine

1 hour ago, Guillotine said:

I would have been fine (if miffed because it reads as a spiteful move) with retirement if the alts had been made retroactively pink. But they weren't, so now people have years of work effectively thrown in the garbage can because of this choice AND the primary issue about Sweetling alts was not addressed. This is quite possibly the worst possible "solution".

Even I - who was OK with it all as it was - am sorry to see an end to alt checkers :(

@TJ09 After all of the improvements from the past couple of years, leveling the playing field in so many ways, bringing back other retired sprites, your solution to some people having an exclusive holiday sprite they received through no effort of their own is to suddenly end their ability to breed true at all and ensure their offspring's increasing rarity, and confirm that the sprites will forever remain exclusive? This is a huge step backwards for the site and I predict new threads begging you to bring back the Alts for years to come.

This was never going to do anything but cause more drama and I'm quite sure you knew that.

I am very glad to see that you decided to allow alts to continue to breed true. However, I'm still disappointed about your decision to ensure that CB alt's offspring will become increasingly rarer, and still don't see the retirement as good for the site as a whole, and I still predict people asking for alts to be released for years to come (especially as the population of those who have them dwindles).

Edited by LibbyLishly

46 minutes ago, LibbyLishly said:

I am very glad to see that you decided to allow alts to continue to breed true. However, I'm still disappointed about your decision to ensure that CB alt's offspring will become increasingly rarer, and still don't see the retirement as good for the site as a whole, and I still predict people asking for alts to be released for years to come (especially as the population of those who have them dwindles).

Agree with this fully. Never mind that this 'fix' has broken the possibility of alternating lineages, since non-alts can no longer breed alts.

As it stands, the attempted retirement did not address the core issue, and was so far in the opposite direction of what we have been asking for.

Yeah, this isn't solving the base problem and is only making things worse, in addition to the fact that it won't stop people from asking. 

What is the "base" problem exactly ? Just not being able to have every sprite ? (serious question.)

9 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

What is the "base" problem exactly ? Just not being able to have every sprite ? (serious question.)

I think that is the case - I have seen a similar argument surrounding the buttwings.

Just now, Fuzzbucket said:

To me the base problem is that offspring of the OG Alts is becoming increasingly harder to find. New blood in the pool could have helped that. Instead, they just got even rarer because several Alt owners are likely to abandon their Alts in favor of pinks. The secondary problem is that monkeying with the breeding mechanics means that some lines are still dead in the water - not as many as there would have been with a full retirement, but still.

I'm not personally in favor of exclusive sprites aside from Spriter's Alts (which are EARNED), but for me that's more of a side thing that I'd like to see changed across the site than the base problem with Alt Sweetlings. I do think that a super exclusive apology sprite was a terrible idea, and the way to fix that would have been to open it up for other users, preferably everyone, especially 8 years later.

There are just so many other things that could have been done with the Alts to improve the game experience for a larger number of players than how this was handled today.

I strongly doubt alt owners are going to ditch their alts to pick up CB pinks, when we can just grab g2 pinks from the AP - although there might be a few. I am glad for the reversal - but it really doesn't matter if they would breed true or not.

Doesn't matter to you. Clearly mattered to a lot more people.

I am with Libby. I think allowing for new alt CBs would have been the ideal. It would help the current alt owners get new blood for lineage building, and in general, would have made a lot more people happy than unhappy.