Obscure_Trash

Cave Feedback

50 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

A couple people tossing back an egg is definitely not an indication that no one will want it. Just in my own experience over the past week, I've picked up two eggs that I saw get picked up and tossed back multiple times (I know they were the same because I noticed the codes), and on like the 4th or 5th reappearance of the egg I just decided I'd take it (I was looking for a different specific breed, but I still needed more of those breeds so why not).

I've done the same plenty of times. If I pick up an egg enough times in a row, it eventually becomes a case of "Well, apparently you REALLY WANT to be on my scroll, so come with me." If its lineage is a mess, I won't use it for breeding, but I might freeze it or use it for story purposes. There is no egg that stays in the non-holiday-time AP so long that it dies - if it's low enough time, someone is going to snap it up and give it a home. It's the Charlie Brown Christmas tree effect sometimes, other times it's just people who like collecting as many dragons as possible.

I really am not in favor of any egg getting sent to the wilderness based on unique rejections or time spent in the AP for that reason.

I DO like the idea of a separate holiday egg AP, though, so that the deaths of the non-holidays can be prevented - though I generally just avoid breeding for the AP before holidays.

Edited by LibbyLishly

I have picked up and re-dropped eggs that had a decent lineage, just nothing *I* felt I'd want to continue - I just figured someone else might like it more than I do. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I wouldn't want to feel forced to instead make teleports for the Departures thread just because it might get auto-killed otherwise.

I'd prefer a marker for "seen/dropped this already".

The "Add Group" thing not being on the same line as everything else is driving me bonkers. Not just aesthetically, but I did a whole section before I realized I did some wrong. Sure, I could have paid closer attention... Do we necessarily need the arrow? I'm guessing it tells people that it's a drop down, so could we move the arrow to after "Group" and not necessarily on its own line? Just a small request, so I wasn't going to make an entirely separate thread. ^_^
image.png.aff64ad81f460c035672866438dd1ffa.png

Yes please! That tiny arrow really doesn't need it's own line, it just looks totally off. I don't see any reason why it couldn't just be moved next to the "add to group". I've never mistakenly clicked the wrong one but I can see how easy that would be to do with the way it's positioned right now.

Can the number of snow eggs be decreased in the holiday biome and the number of hollies be increased? Since hollies are the oldest of the holiday dragons, fewer people are going to have them, whereas since the snows are the newest they are acting as cave blockers and people who can't pick them up can't move the flow of eggs along allowing exposure of the older breeds. Please!

Thank you for a relatively smooth re-release of CB Christmas dragons! I do second the idea of a bit of breed ratio tweaking. It does seem like the drop rate of some of the dragons is disproportionate to what people are looking for.

Can the views on dragons be fixed in the Encyclopedia? I would like to know how many more dragons I need to view instead of it saying "Raise 3 more dragons or view 15 adults" to unlock the dragon sprite.

44 minutes ago, Dalek Raptor said:

Can the views on dragons be fixed in the Encyclopedia? I would like to know how many more dragons I need to view instead of it saying "Raise 3 more dragons or view 15 adults" to unlock the dragon sprite.

Yeeeeessss. This has *always* bugged me about the Encyclopedia. Especially because there are breed you may not be able to find 15 of all the once, meaning you have to do some and then go back for more later, that makes it very frustrating when it keeps saying 15 instead of how many you actually have left.

..Any chance we could get access to alt Sweetlings as well with this upcoming rerelease..? It's been years, I think they've served their original purpose long enough.

I believe their creators have nixed that, and it was very nice of them to give up their own alts to fix the issue.

32 minutes ago, olympe said:

She. Kila. And she got a different alt instead. 

https://dragcave.net/view/n/chocolate cordial valentine

Yes I know she did. Kila and nepherim were both involved, actually.  (Neutral pronouns were chosen as I have no idea what nepherim prefers - but thanks !) That doesn't mean their generosity at the time should now be nixed.  It's like snow angels - it is what it is - scroll colour coded.

Didn't Kila or nepherim mention that they'd be okay with black sweetlings sometimes breeding true more recently?

I don't think they've indicated that they'd be okay with new CB black sweets, though.

e: edited since Fuzzbucket posted with their name.

Edited by Guillotine

Well neither of them are active anymore though anyway.. As far as I can tell, they've left the site, so it would be up to TJ.

... who often actually takes the feelings of his artists seriously.

Why does everything have to be available to everyone anyway ? Part of the old entitlement culture ?

Just because artists may not be active in the game anymore doesn't mean their wishes shouldn't be respected. Most of the time artists have a distinct vision for their art and that shouldn't be ignored just because they've moved on. I don't care either way about the alt sweets, but I do hope that TJ respects whatever the creators wishes for them are.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

... who often actually takes the feelings of his artists seriously.

Why does everything have to be available to everyone anyway ? Part of the old entitlement culture ?

Because it's a collection game and the people who have Alt sweets did nothing different than me that day other than get lucky. Unlucky at first, but instead of just fixing the bug and being done, they got something special. And I wouldn't be proposing that only non-alt people get alts, but alt people should be able to get non-alts as well.

As far as I see it, alt sweets are going to become like Hollys were- a 2nd gen from them will be quite the rare thing because there's no way to get any more.

I don't get why people care so much about doing what an artist said over making the game better, either.

May I also point out that Blue Wing Solstices were supposed to replace the Rosy Winged ones entirely- but people complained and it was reverted, and they now coexist. What users say, and what's best for the game can override an artist's wishes sometimes.

I'm just so annoyed by the 'artist's wishes' argument. That's a good way to halt any real discussion. What do you want? Not what do you think the artists want. If that wasn't a concern, would you want a black sweetling? If so, then don't place the entire argument on the thoughts of someone who isn't even here anymore.

(actually, bringing back the Arias was probably against the artist's wishes too, but here they are).

Edited by Dragon_Arbock

The difference with the Solstices is that Odeen agreed to a compromise. If she had been adamant that it not happen I don't think TJ would have gone over her head.

I feel like the "collector's game" argument gets used as a cover-all for all the arguments as well. If I collect coins or stamps or antiques I will accept that there are some that I will never have. Why can't people accept that there are pixel dragons that they can never have. It's not the end of the world if you can't have them all.

And truly, there isn't that much demand for 2nd gen Sweetlings from the black ones. Once people find out that they won't grow up black on their scroll, they really don't care much about them. I generally give mine away, or trade them for some common holiday lineage.

53 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

I don't get why people care so much about doing what an artist said over making the game better, either.

I'm just so annoyed by the 'artist's wishes' argument. That's a good way to halt any real discussion. What do you want? Not what do you think the artists want. If that wasn't a concern, would you want a black sweetling? If so, then don't place the entire argument on the thoughts of someone who isn't even here anymore.

(actually, bringing back the Arias was probably against the artist's wishes too, but here they are).

Dove said she didn't care what happened about the Arias.

And if artists' wishes are to be overridden we could end up with artists not wanting to create new stuff for us. I would LOVE black sweetlings - as well as one of the snow angles I failed to be coded for; I had a hell of a time catching the only sweetling I managed to get (that was one awful day), and I wish I had been caught up in the disaster. BUT I don't want one against kila/nepherim's wishes.

53 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

May I also point out that Blue Wing Solstices were supposed to replace the Rosy Winged ones entirely- but people complained and it was reverted, and they now coexist. What users say, and what's best for the game can override an artist's wishes sometimes.

Not quite. Odeen listened and SHE decided to change things. If she hadn't, they would have stayed as they were.

2 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

I feel like the "collector's game" argument gets used as a cover-all for all the arguments as well. If I collect coins or stamps or antiques I will accept that there are some that I will never have. Why can't people accept that there are pixel dragons that they can never have. It's not the end of the world if you can't have them all.

And truly, there isn't that much demand for 2nd gen Sweetlings from the black ones. Once people find out that they won't grow up black on their scroll, they really don't care much about them. I generally give mine away, or trade them for some common holiday lineage.

This isn't real life though. The scarcity is fake. There's no limited resources stopping dragons of a kind from still being produced. Nothing but a few lines of code. It's not money-driven, there's no reason limiting production like with real-life items.

And no, I've seen some demand. It's like spriter's alts- they don't breed true, but people still want them.

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Dove said she didn't care what happened about the Arias.

And if artists' wishes are to be overridden we could end up with artists not wanting to create new stuff for us. I would LOVE black sweetlings - as well as one of the snow angles I failed to be coded for; I had a hell of a time catching the only sweetling I managed to get (that was one awful day), and I wish I had been caught up in the disaster. BUT I don't want one against kila/nepherim's wishes.

Not quite. Odeen listened and SHE decided to change things. If she hadn't, they would have stayed as they were.

Dove's a he, I think. Also curious where this was said, since he's one of the artists who threatened to pull all their stuff already.

And I'll be honest.. we have only a small group of artists now who do things- it feels like nobody else is allowed to have a chance. There were so many, many nice dragons on the completed list I used to long for, and they would always be passed over in favor of the already established artists. The last dragon I recall being released from the list was the Undine, so you know.. if there was some sort of fallout, as horrible as it might be, maybe it would open the door to new people. I don't worry about stepping on the toes of one or two people when so many people would be grateful to have a chance.

48 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Dove's a he, I think. Also curious where this was said, since he's one of the artists who threatened to pull all their stuff already.

And I'll be honest.. we have only a small group of artists now who do things- it feels like nobody else is allowed to have a chance. There were so many, many nice dragons on the completed list I used to long for, and they would always be passed over in favor of the already established artists. The last dragon I recall being released from the list was the Undine, so you know.. if there was some sort of fallout, as horrible as it might be, maybe it would open the door to new people. I don't worry about stepping on the toes of one or two people when so many people would be grateful to have a chance.

I think not.

https://forums.dragcave.net/profile/2390-dovealove/

She was angry at one point. Very angry. But she did say what happened now was up to TJ and she didn't care. It was in - some thread or other, when I was begging for OPs to come back. I think perhaps someone quoted from her deviant art page ?

@Fuzzbucket Eh, wiki called them a he, so either they changed it, or it was a mess-up. Their DA page say male as well.

Either way, if I was ever lucky enough to be an artist, and I left, I'd fully expect that the site would move on without me and do what needed to be done. Never mind that fact that when you do artwork for a company, you lose the copyright to it, and the company can then do what they please with the concept.

TJ lacked the foresight then, but now he has contracts that say pretty much that.

I know wiki says he. It has always puzzled me :) But while I do sometimes edit there, it was one thing I felt I had better not mess with.

Edited by Fuzzbucket