Obscure_Trash

Cave Feedback

edit:

@fuzz

Be that as it may, but the regular release posts we have now, aren't of use to those people either? I think that's a separate problem.

No they aren't - that's true. So maybe leave it as it is ! PLEASE not back to random releases though !

I second the vote to not go back to random releases! At least we have a general idea of when to expect a new release, and that's better than any moment having one sprung on us.

Oh wow, you feel strongly about this blink.gif

I personally like the element of surprise and when the releases were random, I was just really not caring at all, I just played and dealt with releases when they happened.

To me, this "should probably be this Sunday, but maybe not, is it worth keeping my scroll clear, probably, but maybe not, aaaaand no release..." it's like pulling teeth.

I really like the calendar idea in the light of this post.

Or if, you know, there simply was a release on the first Sunday of every month. Regardless of holidays, of January I-don't-even-know, of Sundays that are also the first day the of the whole month - whatever. First Sunday of the month, no exception.

edit:

@fuzz

Be that as it may, but the regular release posts we have now, aren't of use to those people either? I think that's a seperate problem.

Gotta agree with the others - I'd far rather continue to keep my scroll clear for every Sunday than have the constant haunting concern that I might have to jetison a group of eggs because a random release just appeared out of nowhere.

I do agree with you that if the calendar idea is not an option (which I very much hope it is), then the first Sunday of every month, no exceptions, would be preferable.

I should have made myself clearer.

I meant that if people feel this strongly about random releases, they're obviously not a good thing to go back to. I was only trying to explain why I personally didn't mind them so much.

I really like the certainty of scheduled releases, I really do! But please make them certain. If we are left wondering as in November, which weekend will bring the delayed release, or in the case of January, whether there will be a release at all or not because it falls between two holidays, that pretty much leaves us hanging even worse than when releases were random.

If you are going to except "holiday months" then at least let us know which months those are. Otherwise let's just have the release on the scheduled day.

I am very tired of emptying my scroll for each of the last 3 weekends, just in case there would be a new release. And three weekends of November as well.

Yes, I know the new releases are forever releases and you shouldn't have to be around for the release flood to get them. But I have still not caught a single Copper since the day of their release. I was able to snag only one more in a trade, which leaves me far short of my scroll goals and makes me very nervous about missing any new dragon while it is flooding! On the other hand I have never been one to abandon eggs that were already on my scroll when a release starts, so therefore the need to empty the scroll if there is even an outside chance of a release. sad.gif

Edited by purplehaze

I should have made myself clearer.

I meant that if people feel this strongly about random releases, they're obviously not a good thing to go back to. I was only trying to explain why I personally didn't mind them so much.

I always liked the "surprise: New eggs!" of the random release. I think the monthly ones are actually stressing people out more due to never knowing IF they will happen as planned or be delayed.

TJ has a life and job and this a game he made for fun, not profit so I understand that it isn't his first priority. (which is, very likely, the reason some months get delayed so much) But I feel that when they always happened 'whenever" that no one really worried about it and were just always happy to find that new eggs were dropping, even if it meant dropping other stuff from their scroll. (and some of us were more happy to hunt the AP on those days for the drops instead)

Regular releases are great, I defiantly like seeing new dragons roll out more often, but maybe the monthly schedule just isn't something that is always easy to keep up with/maintain. Maybe, every other month would be better? more time to pick which dragons, code everything, and set up the release while still being on a schedule that players could follow and 'know" when it was happening?

Remember, the reason it's the Sunday after the first Saturday in the first place was because of confusion due to time zone displacement about what counts as the first Sunday. So honestly, I think the best idea for a release schedule is "The Sunday after the first Saturday of the month from April to September." That leaves October, December, and February with holiday releases, and November, January, and March empty for users to finish recovering from the preceding holiday.

Considering how much time and energy TJ and the artists put into the holiday releases, I imagine they'd find it more convenient to have the months following holidays off too. (I can only speculate that TJ's real life plus the time he's putting into DC holiday events are why the November release was so late and why we haven't seen or heard anything about a possible January release yet.)

I'm not sure what you're talking about, considering not only has the site introduction page been updated significantly, but there's also a "new user slideshow" that pops up on new scrolls when they visit their dragons page. Not being a new user, I wouldn't expect you to have seen that, which is why I'm confused that you seem to "know" that no effort has been put into improving the new user experience.

My post was simply a "bump" about the things that were missing from the Help pages, which I posted about 6 months ago. Since I'm not a newbie I haven't seen the changes you mention, but I *do* know that the actual in-site "Help" pages are still outdated, and that's what I was commenting on. I clicked "Help" and the Vampire BSA "Bite" is still missing from the BSA section. The text under Freeze still says "Can be performed 10 times per 2 weeks", even tho that's only true for people without a trophy.

So, since the things in the Help page that I pointed out 6 months ago have not been fixed, it's natural to assume that nothing newbie-oriented has been worked on. I'm VERY glad to hear that there's a slideshow and updates to the site introduction.... But the oversights I pointed out are still there.

Perhaps, but as TJ stated things are being worked on and updated. The forum help and introduction sections are very accommodating for new member questions.

Remember, the reason it's the Sunday after the first Saturday in the first place was because of confusion due to time zone displacement about what counts as the first Sunday. So honestly, I think the best idea for a release schedule is "The Sunday after the first Saturday of the month from April to September." That leaves October, December, and February with holiday releases, and November, January, and March empty for users to finish recovering from the preceding holiday.

I don't get your dates. Why not March, for instance - Vals would have grown up. Why not October - many of us didn't get that - as Hallowe'en is the last day of the month and new things would easily have grown up by then too. March to October would make more sense.

I always liked the "surprise: New eggs!" of the random release. I think the monthly ones are actually stressing people out more due to never knowing IF they will happen as planned or be delayed.

TJ has a life and job and this a game he made for fun, not profit so I understand that it isn't his first priority. (which is, very likely, the reason some months get delayed so much) But I feel that when they always happened 'whenever" that no one really worried about it and were just always happy to find that new eggs were dropping, even if it meant dropping other stuff from their scroll. (and some of us were more happy to hunt the AP on those days for the drops instead)

Regular releases are great, I defiantly like seeing new dragons roll out more often, but maybe the monthly schedule just isn't something that is always easy to keep up with/maintain. Maybe, every other month would be better? more time to pick which dragons, code everything, and set up the release while still being on a schedule that players could follow and 'know" when it was happening?

For my part, the random releases were FAR more stressful for me. It took me almost a year to get a CB Blusang because the release happened a day or two before I got married and I had no idea it was coming - and had I known, I might have been able to at least take a little break from all the last-minute wedding planning and try to catch things. Then again, maybe not - a lot of people were having a hard time catching them even on the day.

Imperfect as that example is, the random releases were still a big pile of frustration for a lot of people. The decisions about what eggs, if any, to dump (because they inevitably came when egg-locked), the finding out at the end of the day that oh, look, there was a release today... or worse, two days ago (because, just like TJ, most of us have a life and a job and don't necessarily get on the cave, much less the forums, every day) - they were exasperating, and sometimes we'd go for a very long time without a new dragon at all, leaving us with the incredible backlog of dragon requests.

I know you're not advocating going back to a random release at all (so don't take any of this personally!), but in case anyone was thinking that it would be fine to go back to it because players didn't mind it, I just felt like I needed to throw in my two cents to emphasize that many players minded it very much and were overjoyed to go to a scheduled release. Even the not knowing which weekend it's going to be is better than complete randomness.

And if the reasons for the delays are because TJ's life is overly busy, I'm pretty sure all of us would completely understand if he moved it to every other month (which would be a bummer, honestly) or if he simply posted a news item to say, "Hey, really crammed this week, putting the new release off for two weeks" a few days before the scheduled release was due to happen.

Truthfully, it's the 'not knowing' that drives me batty. Will it happen or won't it, just drives me insane. So the basic underlying problem is LACK OF COMMUNICATION on TJ's part. If he'd quit being so dangblasted secretive, MAYBE we could all calm down and enjoy ourselves.

Perhaps, but as TJ stated things are being worked on and updated. The forum help and introduction sections are very accommodating for new member questions.

And that's actually exactly why I brought this up in the first place. The forum is *wonderful* about helping people and has a LOT of helpful information.... For the users that have forum accounts. Personally, I just see it as a balance thing; People who have forum accounts get a *lot* more help regarding the game then people without a forum account. There didn't used to be the type of in-cave Help assistance that we have now, and I'm definitely grateful we have it... But if it's there it should be correct. Since many users are young and cannot use the forums, if there is to be a Help section in-cave there should be a motivation to keep it up-to-date. A Help section is no help at all if it leaves out important information or gives confusing information.

I'm not here to argue or fight about it, I'm *very* glad to see that TJ does have an eye on the newbie-experience. Hopefully things will keep improving on that front.

Marie19R, I agree I think you are spot on. smile.gif

I don't get your dates. Why not March, for instance - Vals would have grown up. Why not October - many of us didn't get that - as Hallowe'en is the last day of the month and new things would easily have grown up by then too. March to October would make more sense.

True, if all you're looking at are the releases themselves. People are often scrambling to find mates for their holiday dragons in the few weeks before and after the holiday itself, as well as setting up trades for this year or next, making lineage plans, etc.

Of course, no one HAS to do those things right then, but then again no one HAS to hunt a new release right when it comes out, and yet that's a huge part of many people's experiences.

Plus, having the months before and after holidays off would probably be very good for TJ, considering he's working on events for weeks beforehand, and probably wants a breather afterward.

Why not October? Because I announced that there would be no more releases before Halloween in early September.

Before I realized that it made perfect sense to still have an October release. But it was already announced, so whatever.

I have to agree with Fuzz about the "April - September" release proposed schedule. I don't get it either.

Especially the thing about giving people time to recover from preceding holidays. Maybe it's just me, but:

- Yes, before each holiday we have a special breeding week, but once the breeding is done, your own dragons can't do anything anymore, so all there's left is catching them from the AP. Yes, that can be frustrating and time consuming, but isn't catching the holiday dragons also part of the fun?

- Yes, we've got the new holiday release (1-3 days if I'm correct). I'm going on the assumption the future holiday releases will have the same limit as the Christmas dragons had last year, so they'll be limited to 2 CB per release, so once you've got that the hunt for the holiday release is automatically done.

So.... what more do we, as players, need to "recover" from? I'm honestly confused about that. I see so many people stating (in other threads as well) that we, as players, need to recover from the holidays, but honestly I really don't see the point for the players. Now, for the mods, the artists and TJ, that's a whole other story.

The three main holidays take a lot of time in preparation for them, both with coming up with the concept for the events, as for the execution (art, plots, raffle where needed, coding, etc). But once the event is over, especially after the Valentines event, it's all over. Nothing major happening until it's Halloween time, right?

I do have to be honest and say that I can imagine that the planning, concept development, artwork, etc., is not being left to only a few weeks before the events. But maybe that's just my idea.... I'm working, in my spare time as a volunteer, for an organization where we plan events about a year upfront. I'm one of the few people who's actually planning the events and everything that's connected to them, so that might give me a different perspective on things.

As for the schedule, I have to agree with Fuzz: Why wouldn't we have a release in March? The Valentine event would be over, nothing would be left to do for TJ, nor the other mods (assuming the "more raffle" suggestion from the "Suggestions to improve the raffle" isn't implemented, around Valentines or at all), the Valentines would be grown up by March 1, so........

As for us players:

I understand people want to find mates for their holidays, but is that something you'd only do in the few weeks before that particular holiday? Again, this is solely my personal opinion and experience, but.... I'm already looking for partners for my holiday dragons which are NOT valentines. Why would you wait until these few weeks before the holidays? Again, this is only my two cents, but I don't want that "last minute" pressure to find the perfect mate. I'd much rather take my time for it.

As for the question: Should we have a scheduled release or a surpise release?

Well,...... A surprise release is fun, if we'd have more releases. As it stands now we don't have that many releases. And with about 500+ dragons in the completed section, I know there are loads of people who'd love to see those dragons released into the cave.

Right now I can see why people mgith feel like we hardly get any releases and with that hardly any new breeds in the cave. A scheduled release migth help with the feeling that there will be new things to look forward to in the future.

So... being surprised by the release date when there are lots of new releases (or at least more than what we have now) is fine by me. I think I would even like that. If we'd get the same amount of releases as up until now, I'd go for a scheduled release. That way players would have an idea as to when expect something new. And of course it could be delayed due to circumstances. You never know what could happen.....

This would be my proposal/schedule for releases:

January - 1 Breed Random Release

February - Valentines

March - Planned Release

April - Planned Release

May - Birthday Release or Planned Release if not a birthday event

June - 1 Breed Random Release

July - Planned Release

August - Planned Release

September - Planned Release

October - Planned Release

October - Halloween Event

November - 1 Breed Planned Release on Black Friday (or Random)

December - Xmas Release.

Thats 18 new breeds + the Birthday Release. If it happens to be bigger, Well, skip another before or after, like it was done this year.

Reducing the amount of breeds released around holidays, should help anyone who wants to "recover" (from what? don't you collect dragons every week anyway?) from the holidays, while still preserving the interest of people who want even more dragons.

and 18 -25 (depending on birthdays) a year pans out to average 1.5-2 breeds released per month.

Reducing the amount of breeds released around holidays, should help anyone who wants to "recover" (from what? don't you collect dragons every week anyway?) from the holidays, while still preserving the interest of people who want even more dragons.

Every week? .... Nah, every day biggrin.gif

For the rest, I like your proposal!

And that's actually exactly why I brought this up in the first place. The forum is *wonderful* about helping people and has a LOT of helpful information.... For the users that have forum accounts. Personally, I just see it as a balance thing; People who have forum accounts get a *lot* more help regarding the game then people without a forum account. There didn't used to be the type of in-cave Help assistance that we have now, and I'm definitely grateful we have it... But if it's there it should be correct. Since many users are young and cannot use the forums, if there is to be a Help section in-cave there should be a motivation to keep it up-to-date. A Help section is no help at all if it leaves out important information or gives confusing information.

I'm not here to argue or fight about it, I'm *very* glad to see that TJ does have an eye on the newbie-experience. Hopefully things will keep improving on that front.

Anyone can look at the forum, they don't need an account for that. If they have a question, I assume they can use the search function, or make an account.

If you cannot make an account, find someone who can help you. If anything, the forum is a resource more people should use, and not leave by the wayside. (a fair number of forum accounts are just spam).

edit; the whole "users need a break" -- we need a break to actually be able ot catch the dragon. I'm not talking about holiday releases, I'm talking about dragons that will be in-cave forever, because those you can fall behind on incredibly quickly. I take a half-year hiatus, and come back to utter chaos in terms of what I'm supposed to catch. I have to have someone catch for me in return for eggs because I'm unable to. That, to me, is stressful and unfun. I shouldn't have to play a constant game of catch-up for dragons I want in my collection, because that's not my playstyle. This game doesn't cater to people who take hiatuses, and I understand getting more dragons out there, but honestly, I don't like the weird schedule and not knowing, regardless. A

t least I would have a chance with not knowing and knew it was the assumed norm not to know things, but now, I'm stuck in a rut of "oh, now I have to be on DC for such-and-such and it's not the holidays!" And I often forget about this place because I'm off doing other things. But eh, don't mind me. I just don't like someone not using a schedule.

Edited by Ashes The Second

Anyone can look at the forum, they don't need an account for that. If they have a question, I assume they can use the search function, or make an account.

If you cannot make an account, find someone who can help you. If anything, the forum is a resource more people should use, and not leave by the wayside. (a fair number of forum accounts are just spam).

Yes, the forum is a great resource, but not everyone is forum savvy and you shouldn't have to rely on the forum, especially not to just play the game. Hence why TJ has been working on the cave help section and is always mentioning that if there's something that needs to be or should be added to the help section to mention it. :3

You do know that a} many young people cannot make an account because their parents won't let them and b} there is parental software which can block any kind of forum, and which you may be surprised to learn cannot be bypassed with proxy servers.

Also that the UK government's latest inspired (sarcasm here) "porn filter", if it went exactly as planned (I'm not sure what they removed in the end but I have no doubt it will be back...) automatically blocks forums unless the account owner disables that function. Also anywhere where the word sex shows up - which has caused a few problems already.

And like Sock said - you shouldn't have to rely on a forum to play a game. The game should stand alone.

Edited for that cool.gif thing !

Edited by fuzzbucket

edit; the whole "users need a break" -- we need a break to actually be able ot catch the dragon. I'm not talking about holiday releases, I'm talking about dragons that will be in-cave forever, because those you can fall behind on incredibly quickly. I take a half-year hiatus, and come back to utter chaos in terms of what I'm supposed to catch. I have to have someone catch for me in return for eggs because I'm unable to. That, to me, is stressful and unfun. I shouldn't have to play a constant game of catch-up for dragons I want in my collection, because that's not my playstyle.

honestly? Show me any game that caters to INACTIVE players.

noone does that, it makes no sense, either. If you are not actively collecting (however fast or slow) you do not play dc.

Arguing that we need breaks to recover from a potential hiatus - well, then we'd need to argue that no new release should ever happen - new players would have even more to catch up to!

LOADS of people don't collect 24/7/365.

One of the joys of dragcave is that you can come and go. Though it does take time to catch up sometimes.

I also want to throw out the fact that not using the forum isn't just an inability thing.

I played DC on and off for a few years and never even bothered to look at the forum because I had absolutely no interest in the social aspect of the game. I had no idea that news and updates were posted here. I think it wasn't until Teleport came around and I went 'wait, trading is a thing?' that I ever bothered to check it out.

edited because fail at words

Edited by psyrae