speckledXdust

Who's your favorite author?

my favourite author is definetly Neil Gaiman, i have yet to find one book by him i do not like, he is simply awesome (i also met him once and he signed my book and told me i was awesome, best day ever).

If i had to choose a favourite book by him it would be american gods, actually american gods would be my favourite book ever. if you have not read this book i greatly recomend it! biggrin.gif

As an author, John Flanagan (especially the Ranger's Apprentice series. As a person (out of the few I've met) Phil Cummings, and his books are great too.

However there are plenty of other great authors.

Edited by MessengerDragon

Anyone ever read Trevayne? I loved it. Robert Ludlum wrote it back in 1973 or so.

Dorothy Sayers was a wonderful writer. I fell in love with Lord Peter Death Bredon Wimsey at about age 18. I still love the man.

Georgette Heyers novels, especially The Infamous Army and The Spanish Bride and her mysteries. Gotta love the title Why Shoot a Butler?

I have so many loves and thgey change from one author to another being at the top of my list. I loved the earlier Kay Scarpetta novels by Patricia Cornwell and her latest, but not the ones from middle til now. The characters seem to change and not be who they had been for years. They just didn't act like themselves to me.

Ngaio Marsh's Rodrick Alleyn series.

For those who love Pern have you also tried the Crystal Singer books with Killashandra Ree as the main character or Peyta Bee Books? What about the Ship who sang book series? Helga and friends are wonderful characters. I miss new stories now Anne McCaffrey is dead. Stich in the Snow is a awesome non fantasy novel.

I have listed quite a few and will add more later. My house is full of books. I cry each time I move and have to weed some out. The movers cry when they see the number of boxes of books.

right now?

probably vladimir nabokov, ray bradbury, and neil gaiman (for the sandman series. it's one of my favorites <3).

I'm like super into short stories, so much of what I'm reading of these guys is their stories. Gaiman's novels are great, but his stories and poems aren't fantastic. Bradbury is basically wonderful all the way around. I love reading his stories when I've had a bad day because they have this fatherly feel to them. Nabokov just writes in the most beautiful ways. His stories aren't always that memorable because their plots aren't always the best, but damn just reading his words is like a dream.

*deep breath*

Okay. So that's about it smile.gif

I highly recommend Holly Black. She has some Faery based books like the Modern Faery Tale trilogy. She also co-wrote the Spiderwick Chronicles and has a graphic novel story (I forget if it's a series or trilogy) called The Good Neighbors. She also has a book called White Cat (which I need to get back to reading) and a book called Doll Bones (need to get that one). I don't know what other titles she might have out. Those are just the ones that I know of.

Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I would be willing to say that he is the best character writer of all time. His characters are amazing, and the depths of his characters are filled with tons of thematic meaning. 

While I love several novel series and the authors that gave them to us. I would have to say my number one favorite author is Lynn Flewelling, for her Nightrunner series. (I'm sorry Tolkien please forgive me orz)
Within the first pages of the Nightrunner series' first book, Luck in the Shadows, I was absolutely hooked and could barely put it down. :wub:

Mercedes Lackey. I love the Valdemar series.

I like Francis Hardinge (fantasy with some historical basis). I like Anne Bishop's The Others series (Nature vs. Mankind urban fantasy, somewhat gruesome with a really slow burn romance), but I heard her Black Jewels series is messed up. 😬  I also like the Blackthorn & Grim Series by Juliet Marillier (the first book definitely is grim in the beginning.) And a long time favorite is quoted in my signature below. ^_^

Posted (edited)

On 1/9/2015 at 8:46 PM, RinaChiba said:

I highly recommend Holly Black. 

I like to use quotes from her The Coldest Girl In Cold Town.

"Even from the beginning, that was the problem. People liked pretty things. People even liked pretty things that wanted to kill and eat them."

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

my favorite autors is terry brooks. I love the shannara saga.

The sword of shananra is my prefer book