speckledXdust

Who's your favorite author?

My favourite foreign author is B. Brecht, but most of his writting is poems and plays and you ask about books, so I'll tell one of my country. My favourite author is called Menelaos Lundemis and the first book I read from him was "One child is counting the stars", I was 13 years old then. Now the book I love most of him is called "Abyss street, number zero" and is talking, in a hard realistic way, about the years of the dictatorship in Greece. When I read it I was 17 and is still one of my favourite books. Ludemis' writting makes me shiver and cry!

David Eddings

He has been my favorite author for 13 years now. He was the one that introduced me to fantasy literature when I was 12 (back in 2000) and I love him for it. I've collected all 24 of his fantasy books in both Finnish and English, and I also have one book in Swedish (intending to get the other 23, too).

Out of his series, Belgariad and Malloreon take place within the same world (I call this the Garion universe) while Elenium and Tamuli take place within another (I call this the Sparhawk universe)... The Dreamers takes place in a third universe, and a standalone called Althalus takes place in the fourth. Belgariad/Malloreon also has three standalone books (two prequels and a "non-fictional" databook).

Susan Cooper

Her Dark Is Rising sequence is one of my favorite fantasy book series. I've always loved mythology and since Dark Is Rising ties heavily to Celtic mythology, it was a must-read for me. I've loved the series since - my favorite book in the series is the second one, titled simply "Dark Is Rising" (my least favorite is the third one, Greenwitch... I find the three Drew children boring. Will Stanton, however, is charming beyond words.).

...Don't even mention the Dark Is Rising movie around me. That movie has NOTHING to do with the book series, that's how much they changed the plot and characters! (I think Cooper herself hated the film.)

Lloyd Alexander

My favorite children's fantasy author. I first found his "Chronicles of Prydain" books thanks to my love for mythology - I had to read them when I found out the Prydain books take place in a world that closely resembles ancient Wales (it didn't help that the characters had Welsh names, and that Gwydion, Taliesin and Arawn are actual mythical figures).

It was only later that I found out that my favorite Disney movie, The Black Cauldron, was based on this book series. ...The movie is slightly different, for example the Horned King from this movie was based on Arawn (in the books they were two separate characters, and HK never had possession of the Black Cauldron); in the book Prince Ellidyr was the one that destroyed the cauldron (while in the movie it was Gurgi); Adaon, my favorite character in the whole book series, never even made an appearance (neither did Ellidyr or Gwydion for that matter). Disney basically mixed plot elements from the first and second books (Book of Three and The Black Cauldron) to make their movie. ...But even with these changes, I adored it~ It was executed really well, unlike that Dark Is Rising fiasco...

Here's a little something that pretty much explains my relationship to authors:

I first met Neil when I was about fifteen years old.

I was totally infatuated with this boy named Douglas at that time. He was tall and goofy and British and my first real crush. Ever since my older brother introduced us, I worshipped the floor Douglas walked on.

One day in a book store I overhear this lanky boy in a leather jacket using one of Douglas' phrases. I talked to this new kid and not only did he know my crush, but he told the funniest stories about him. I listened and laughed and learned things about Douglas I never knew before.

The new boy probably gave me his name – but I can't remember.

For years the only important thing about that conversation was, what I learned about Doug.

A few years later – Douglas had moved out of town and we only heard of him occasionally – I had a new crush, another friend of my brother by the name of Terry, who was funny, eccentric and British.

I loved the stories I heard about him, most of them strange, but in a good way. One of the strangest stories I ever heard was about him, an angel, a demon and a free way. It also included Neil, a friend of Terry, who obviously helped along with the prank.

Back then I was absolutely convinced, he was just along for the ride and all the strange ideas were Terry's – loyalty works that way.

Douglas will always hold a special place in my heart and I still think Terry is strange and geeky in a way you can only be if you're brilliant, but I moved on – like it's only natural with your crushes.

Nowadays I'm older – I don't fall for someone as easily as I did and it isn't as all-consuming as it used to be, when it happens. But I still fall for a guy occasionally – who doesn't?

One Friday evening I was visiting Jörg, who always points out interesting guys and girls to me. “Say do you know Neil,” he asked.

I didn't have a lot of time that evening, but Neil got me hooked with his stories, the way he told them and his friend Murphy. We met again the next morning, because, like Scheherazade's husband, I couldn't stand the thought of not knowing, how the story continued.

Like my old crushes he could make me laugh and think, but he was the first in a long time, who also made me cry, and I loved him even more for it.

I've been friends with Neil for a few years now and somewhere along the way I noticed that in a way I love him – like I did Douglas, like I did Terry – from afar and everyone in their own way.

I got to know some of his friends like Murphy and Mr. Wednesday, Tristram and Coraline, Door and the Grey Lady – who sometimes is a perky goth girl. He also introduced me to some of his other friends like Alan and Guillermo and we have some old ones in common – like Robert and Michael.

Sometimes I'm jealous of the people, who knew Neil when he was younger and I'm a bit angry at myself for never inquiring further into the lanky new kid with the leather jacket, who told stories about Douglas or into Terry's new prank partner, who both of course had been Neil. I could have grown with him instead of towards him – yet I'm still incredibly grateful, that we were finally introduced properly by someone – my life would be poorer otherwise.

Now, I quite enjoy readin Margaret Peterson Haddix books, though I didn't use to like them.

J. K. Rowling, Agatha Christie, and J. R. R. Tolkien, I'd have to say. There are probably others.

Edited by Techno_Elf

Currently, Marie Lu (Legend), J. K. Rowling (Harry Potter), and Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson & Heroes of Olympus)

Currently:

Tad Williams

Steven Erikson

George R. R. Martin

Terry Pratchett

Diana Wynn Jones

Naomi Novik

Stephen King is my favorite author (and the only one I've actively sought out all of their books). I also like Kathy Reichs because she's a hometown author (from NC) and Charlaine Harris. I also enjoyed reading JKR's Harry Potter series (though I've made no effort to read anything else she's written, related or otherwise) and I really enjoyed Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games series, but I don't know if I'll make an attempt to read any of her other works.

I can't limit myself to one favorite author although while I am reading a good book quite often I will think I like this author better than others. I love Anne McCaffrey, Mercedes Lackey, Elizabeth Moon, David Weber, Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Andre Norton, AC Crispin, JK Rowling, Francis Finn, SJ, Lloyd Douglas. I am sure to have forgotten a slew of my very favorite ones as I love books, especially novels. William Shakespeare is always good for passing away time. May Stewart and Frances Parkingson Keyes were my most favorite authors for years.

How can anyone just have one favorite author?

I have lots of favorite authors--mostly those who write YA or middle-grade fiction. (even though I am in college now! tongue.gif)

Brandon Mull (Fablehaven and Beyonders)

Cinda Williams Chima (Heir Chronicles and Seven Realms)

LJ Smith (Vampire Diaries)

Brandon Sanderson (Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarians, Mistborn)

Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson, Kane Chronicles, Heroes of Olympus)

Jonathan Stroud (Bartimaeus, Lockwood & Co)

John Flanagan (Ranger's Apprentice)

Marie Lu (Legend trilogy)

Colleen Houck (The Tiger Saga)

J Lloyd Morgan (The Hidden Sun)

Wendy Higgins (Sweet Evil)

Amy Plum (Die for Me)

Eoin Colfer (Artemis Fowl, Airman)

Mark Forman (Adventurers Wanted)

I like many authours, but I will list a few of my favourites:

Mercedes Lackey: Heralds of Valdemar, Elemental Masters, etc. She is excellent at character writing. I easily have more of her books than any other authour, and I have yet to read a series by her that I did not enjoy. Her Valdemar books are what she is most well-known for, but her Elemental Masters and Five Hundred Kingdom books are also golden. Her Joust series was a great read, though it felt a little unfinished to me. I was really hoping for more from that world. Given that I tend to prefer modern fantasy, her historical (and generic Medieval-style fantasy realm setting in Valdemar) are quite gripping. This woman can really build worlds, and she is excellent at retelling classic fairy tales in extremely imaginative and unique ways. She is my inspiration to write.

Anne McCaffrey: Dragonriders of Pern, Crystal Singer, Acorna, etc. I find her Pern books to be the best, but that may be due to my preference for soft sci fi rather than true sci fi.

Simon R. Green: Modern fantasy. He writes amazing stories, but definitely do not read if you don't like dark and gritty or cannot handle adult themes. His Nightside novels are easy, yet gripping reads.

Jim Butcher: The Dresden Files are just plain fun to read. They have all the things I like: mystery, detectives, occult, modern fantasy, and an amusing protagonist.

Tamara Pierce: While her stories are young adult fantasy, they are still very enjoyable by adults.

J.K. Rowling: How can I not love the Harry Potter series?

Suzanne Collins: It is so amazing to see a female protagonist who is strong, yet still flawed in ways that are not generally considered acceptable. Katniss is not apologetic, yet she does not cross over into some of the strong female protagonist cliches that make me want to throw the book on the ground. tongue.gif She just is, in all of her many facets, and it work. Nor is she overly sexualized (really not at all, other than what the Capital does), and there was no happy ending. It just would not have worked.

Tara K. Harper: Her Wolfwalker series is definitely her best. She does soft sci fi extremely well.

Terry Brooks: He is best known for his Shannarah books, but I find his Landover series to be even more entertaining.

Patricia Briggs: She writes what I like to call "fluffy books" in that they are an easy, fun read. Her Mercy Thompson series is definitely her best, in my opinion, with some of her early work being almost painful to get through. It is amazing to see the progress she made in the quality of her writing from that series to the Mercy Thompson books.

Tanya Huff: I was first introduced to her Blood series (modern fantasy, occult), but her Wizard Crystal series is also good.

Patrick Rothfuss: A friend of mine sent me The Name of the Wind[/b], and I was instantly hooked. Given that I can be somewhat of a book snob (I have so many unread books on my shelf because they have yet to really grab me), that is no small feat.

L.J. Smith She is my guilty pleasure authour. My sensibilities scream at me every time I read one of her books, telling me everything that is wrong with them, and yet I cannot put them down. These books definitely fall into the "fluffy books" category, but after spending all day in classes, in the lab, or reading scientific articles, sometimes what my brain needs most is a super easy, no-thinking-just-feeling read.

Considering that "a few of my favourites" turned into thirteen different authours, I do believe I may have an addiction to reading. I suppose that is my cue to go read one of my new books before bed. tongue.gif

Brian Jacques, Tamara Pierce, Robin McKinley, and Terry Pratchett. Probably more, but I can't recall them right now.

Cassandra Clare - Infernal Devices, Mortal Instruments series. really have enjoyed these books of hers.

Piers Anthony As mentioned known for Zanth novels but he did other series too like the Apprentice Adept series, or the Incarnations of Immortality. He has done a lot of very good enjoyable series.

J.R.R Tolkien Lovely characters and stories.

Jodi Picoult Love her take on characters, often unexpected plot twists, overall good stories and very enjoyable.

Anne McCafferey Dragonriders of Pern - need I say more. I have read a few of her other books but do love the Dragonriders of Pern the best.

Terry Pratchett Discworld very fun and enjoyable reading.

George R.R Martin Can re-read the Game of Throne ( song of Ice and Fire - or is that Fire and Ice.) series numerous times over. I don't know about his other books but may have to try them one day.

C.S Lewis Narnia series still find it enjoyable to read even after all these years.

Ann Rule True crime novelist. I love how she writes it.

Robin Jones Gunn has written a lot of great Christian books for adults and young adults. I love her Christy Miller series, and Christy & Todd: College Years. Dick King-Smith is a great author for a variety of childrens' novels. I read a lot of his books as a kid. biggrin.gif

My absolute favorites are H.P. Lovecraft, Eoin Colfer, Philip Pullman and Silvana De Mari. biggrin.gif

If I had to pick two, I would say Brian Jacques and CJ Cherryh.

If I had to pick four, Brian Jacques, CJ Cherryh, Naomi Novik, and Patrick Rothfuss.

If I had to list all of them, we would be here for a few hours. biggrin.gif

Of those authors, my favorite series are: Redwall, The Chanur Saga, Temeraire, and The Name of the Wind series, although to be honest, just about anything those people have written I would probably love, because their style and the way they handle both character and plot development is simply amazing.

J. R. R. Tolkien is my all-time favourite author. I love all his books so much, especially the Silmarillion.

I love Mercedes Lackey and Margaret Weiss & Tracy Hickman. I haven't read Tracy Hickman's solo work, but everything by Weiss and Hickman has grabbed me.

I know she's written other works besides Valdemar, but those stories are what puts Mercedes Lackey first place in my heart. I love the stories she's weaved around that country, its history with their neighbors, and the magic that exists in all forms.

Weiss and Hickman wrote most of the Dragonlance series themselves, and the way they build up intrigue between characters, creatures and gods is unparalleled. Their stories always make for tight, gripping reads.

Mercedes Lackey is amazing. <3

I also like Simon R Green and Patricia Briggs (her Mercy Thompson series good).