speckledXdust

Who's your favorite author?

Tolkien, Tolkien, Tolkien. He can be a bit dull at times, but his languages and the rich history of his books are amazing. I re-read The Hobbit and LOTR once or twice every year.

Also Terry Pratchett. Discworld's hilarious.

J.D. Robb, John Flanagan, Jim Butcher, Michael Gruber, Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

Anita Diamant and Philippa Gregory, at least at the moment. Like my favourite books, my favourite authors change quite regularly.

Robert Frost will probably always be my favourite poet, though.

I read tons of books, and picking a favorite author would be impossible. Since I see a number of my favorite authors already listed, then I'll list a few I don't see listed here.

Timothy Zahn: writes sci-fi and fantasy, generally having military aspects in it. The Dragonback series, Cobra series, and Blackcollar trilogy are some of my favorites of his.

Lloyd Alexander: writes kids and young adult books, often with cats and elements of fantasy in them. Time Cat and the Vesper Holly series were very good.

G.K. Chesterton: Catholic author who wrote about a huge variety of subjects. His detective stories about Father Brown I found fascinating.

I read tons of books, and picking a favorite author would be impossible. Since I see a number of my favorite authors already listed, then I'll list a few I don't see listed here.

Timothy Zahn: writes sci-fi and fantasy, generally having military aspects in it. The Dragonback series, Cobra series, and Blackcollar trilogy are some of my favorites of his.

I think Timothy Zahn is one of my favorite too. Some of my favorites of his are The Icarus Hunt and the Dragonback series.

I also love C. S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Is high in my list of top ten favorite books. (The movie does not do it justice, but then, what movie does?)

Sir Walter Scott. He wrote the classic Ivanhoe. His books can be boring at times, but I still love them, (except the occasional depressing book), true love and high adventure!

I really enjoy Megan Whalen Turner's The King of Attolia. The series it is in is a fantasy, with Attolia having some similarities to ancient Greece.

I love reading, so I could probably keep going, but those four come to mind first.

I love R.A. Salvatore. He writes the Legend of Drizzt stuff in Forgotten Realms and I have more than 20 of his books!

If you don't know Drizzt he's a dark elf (drow as they're also called) that used to live in the drow city of Menzoberranzan, but left once he was rejected for not fitting into the society they had down there. When he comes to the surface he meets a dwarf (Bruneor Battlehammer) a halfling (Regis) a hlaf giant (Wulfgar) and a human (Cattie Brie). All the Legend books follow their adventures from fighting pirates to killing dragons.

Oh, and I like George R. R. Martin! I just started reading A Game of Thrones and it's probably one of the best books ive ever read!

Hmm, I really like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. They're good books, though Jordan did have a tendency to ramble. One time he took one whole page to describe a character's dress. It was actually pretty funny.

Jack London is another writer I really like. I love Call of the Wild and White Fang.

My favorite author is Sarah Ash, there's no doubt about it. I love her fantasy series "The tears of Artamon", it's so awesome and has everything I want a book to have. And I intend to read all her other books as well. (;

But I do like Teo Troy, C.S. Lewis, and J.C. Burke too, though, not as much as I like Sarah. ^^'

Erin Hunter will always be my fave author,ALWAYS!! laugh.gifI love her warrior books but whenever I go to the public library the seeker books are always taken...and I also like the 39 clues and conspiracy books. laugh.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif

Erin Hunter will always be my fave author,ALWAYS!! laugh.gifI love her warrior books but whenever I go to the public library the seeker books are always taken...and I also like the 39 clues and conspiracy books. laugh.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif

I keep hearing about these warrior books... Are they really that good? I've seen them but never picked them up, maybe it's cuz im not a cat person tongue.gif

I keep hearing about these warrior books... Are they really that good? I've seen them but never picked them up, maybe it's cuz im not a cat person tongue.gif

I remember they were a huge thing in, like, grade 5. They're rather kiddish, but not terribly so.

The first 'mini-series' is pretty good, the second's OK, and the third's pretty horrible (don't know if there are any more, haven't read them).

You don't really have to be a cat person to get into them, I remember they were pretty action-packed and original anyways. My advice to you is to read the first two books, and see if you like the series. If you think it's the best thing you've ever read, it's probably safe to read the whole series. If you thought they were good but not great, read the first mini-series and stop there. That's pretty much as good as it'll get.

Sounds like a plan to me. I'll find the first one at the library or something and I'll read it right after A Clash of Kings

Ursula K. LeGuin is my favorite. The Earthsea series, Gifts/Voices/Powers, The Telling, Changing Planes, Rocannon's World, so many other brilliant ones... she writes science fiction and fantasy from an anthropological and political angle, and her characters are heartbreakingly human.

Connie Willis is a good one too, particularly Doomsday Book and Passages.

I'm a huge bookworm, so that is a difficult question. But I tend to get seriously obsessed with something for awhile, then move onto something else. Right now my book obsession is James Patterson. Played a Women's Murder Club video game and then tried the books. I've been in love with his writing ever since, since he's so versatile. He writes everything from romance, to sci-fi, to fantasy, to thriller. Plus he puts out books at a freaking ridiculous rate; I can't keep up!

Shana Abe is a fantastic romance writer. The Secret Swan is my all time fav by her, but her Drakon series is also steller. Though I'm sure you can already guess, the series is about a clan of shape-shifters that can turn from human to smoke to dragon and back again. It has adult content, *once again, that goes without saying* but for those that don't like the scenes overly descriptive, so that some thing are left to the imagination, then Abe's a good bet. I'd reccomend leaving The Last Mermaid on the shelf, because it seemed a little boring compared to her other books; and if you don't like your romances in FPOV, tread carefully with Time Weaver.

P.S. Trust me, the Drakon series is good; I borrowed the title of the second book for my user name!

Edited by Dream_Thief

I happen to love Robin McKinley. I have read many of her books, including Beauty and Sunshine. Beauty is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast (my favorite faerie tale EVER!!!!!), and Sunshine is a vampire book that's actually good. Imagine that. rolleyes.gif But she's definitely written many more than that.

Also, Adam Rex rules. Like, absolutely. My favorite novel by him is The True Meaning of Smekday, a comedy about a girl named Gratuity, an alien named J. Lo, and... the true meaning of Smekday. I highly, HIGHLY recommend it.

Isaac Asimov's my favorite. He's an incredible author, and his stories really resonate with me. "The Last Question" is my favorite short story by him - the ending he thought up was just perfect, and he's been my favorite ever since reading that.

Anne McCaffrey, Raimond E Feist, Terry Pratchett but my favourite book is The Silver Sun by Nancy Springer.

Arthur Conan Doyle. The way he incorporates every word that he writes into the story is interesting; he never writes any unnecessary words. They're all vital to the story. And the cases he comes up with are the best. Sherlock Holmes. Read it.

Another one that's pretty generic; Erin Hunter. I'm not sure which of the three are writing, but they're all pretty similar anyways. I like their style since it's almost like you're reading a Roleplay in one character's perspective. Role plays are really fun to read, and I think they do that very well. xd.png

Stephen King, James Patterson, Sophie Kinsella, Elizabeth Berg, Sarah Shepherd, and a lot more but that's all that comes to mind now.

Anne McCaffrey - Dragonriders of Pern series, Brain and Brawn, Crystal singer, The Talent series, The Tower and Hive series, Powers trilogy, The Freedom series, Acorna series

David Eddings - The Belgariad, The Malloreon, The Elenium, The Tamuli

Piers Anthony - Xanth series, Adept series, Incarnations Of Immortality

Raymond E Feist - Basically the whole Riftwar series

Robert Jorden - Wheel of Time

Terry Prachett - Discworld series and a few other short series that I forgotten