speckledXdust

Who's your favorite author?

Hello all;

Here it is! The first ever - at least, I think so - topic where you can post reviews of your favorite author's books. If you don't want to write a review, that's OK too! Just post who your favorite author is, maybe list one or two of his/her books, maybe what they are about, and there you go! Hopefully, this will be able to help you readers broaden novels you want to read!

All right, lets get this thing started! One of my favorite writers is Stephen King. He mostly writes horror novels/short stories, but I do believe that he has published an essay also. The first King horror story I read was titled The Dark Half. The novel is about an author that wrote horror books under a different name. When he decides to stop writting horror, his dark half comes to take his place. Once I started, I couldn't stop reading. The pages kept turning, and before I knew it, at least five hours had gone by. Stephen King's books are thrilling, suspenseful, creepy, and original! You should definitely (with an I, not an A) check his books out.

Thanks for reading and please post! From,

speckledXdust

Tamora Pierce. All the way. She's one of the few people I've read that has female protagonists, and they're written well. They're realistic, with flaws and stuff, and she creates incredibly rich fantasy worlds. I want to be her when I grow up. smile.gif

There is a wide variety of erotic authors on writing.com that occupy my reading time.

lulz.

A. Lee Martinez. He writes silly fantasy novels. The main attraction to his novels are the characters. They always have fantastic interactions. =) Too Many Curses was my favourite book of his, but Gil's All Fright Diner was another good one. Too Many Curses is the only non-adultish one, though, I think. >_>

A. Lee Martinez. He writes silly fantasy novels. The main attraction to his novels are the characters. They always have fantastic interactions. =) Too Many Curses was my favourite book of his, but Gil's All Fright Diner was another good one. Too Many Curses is the only non-adultish one, though, I think. >_>

Gonna look him up.

Oh, I like Allyson James. Adult romance fantasy.

Suzanne Collins is a reeally good author . She wrote The Hunger Games . I also like Carolyn Keene (The Nancy Drew series), but that's just a pen name, and it was actually multiple people who wrote most of the books tongue.gif Oh, and speaking of pen names, Lemony Snicket's really good, too .

Edited by Bonjourno!

peirs anthony is a totally awesome author. He wrote the Zanth series. The Zanth series has 33 books. Zanth is a magical land off the coast of Florida (a.k.a. the bermuda triangle). Everyone born in Zanth has a different magic talent. The ones with strong talents are sorcerers and sorceresses.

Terry Pratchett who created the coolest world ever. His biggest work are the 36 discworld novels (he has also some other books xd.png). He writes funny Fantasy that often makes fun of the real world using exaggeration, irony and the most wonderfull humor I ever read.

the discworld is a disc-formed world carried on the backs of 4 giant elephants who are standing on the back of the space turtle Great A´tuin xd.png

Here are severel different protagonist who have the own books and storylines biggrin.gif

Edited by Kurtos

(17) *pokes Kurtos*

My favourite author is Terry Pratchett, although I'm also getting in to Dan Brown's books.

hmm i dunno who my favourite is but i really liked the Philip Pullman books (His Dark Materials trilogy).

"The Golden Compass follows the ever-expanding adventure of Lyra Bacquela as she travels north in search of a kidnapped friend. The story begins in Jordan College, Oxford, where Lyra is an average eleven-year-old girl who enjoys playing with her friend, Roger. One day, while snooping around Jordan College, Lyra accidentally learns about a mysterious substance known as Dust, which is attracted to adults but not to children. She also learns that the Dust has something to do with the snowy north.

Rumors soon begin about a group known as Gobblers, who kidnap children, take them to the north, and perform experiments on them. The people of Jordan College give little credibility to these rumors, until the Gobblers arrive in Oxford. Several children are kidnapped, and after an extensive search, Lyra returns home to find that Roger is....."

My favorite author is definitely Brandon Sanderson. I read Elantris, Warbreaker, the Mistborn Trilogy and currently I'm reading The Way of Kings.

I loved all his books, the way he describes the worlds he creates, the complexity of his works, his characters ... he is just perfect, the only author who can really compete with the Great Tolkien.

The I like Trudi Canavan, both her Black Magician Trilogy and Age of the Five, though I slightly dislike the Traitor Spy Trilogy (without Akkarin it's just no longer the same sad.gif )

Then there's N.K.Jemisin with her Inheritance Trilogy. Ah, Nahadoth ... wub.gif

Then I like Bettina Belitz, Antonia Michaelis, Torsten Fink and Jenny-Mai Nuyen, all four of them are German writers.

Erin Hunter's 4 writers. 41 current books and counting!

Right now my favorite author is Kim Harrison and her Hollows book series. Fantastic charecters, great storylines, and a really well thought out history for the setting. Set in an alternate version of the modern day.

Filled with magic, action, and humor. It's a great read and I would reccomend it to anyone.

Too many but here are some:

Gail Carson Levine- rewrites common fairy tales with much added hilarity and/or more plot laugh.gif

Vivian Vande Velde- has also done fairy tale rewrites but adds her own twists to the fantasy world

Stuart Hill- author of The Icemark Chronicles, an awesome trilogy involving fantasy, action, suspense, some romance, and a lot more

E. D. Baker- author of The Princess and the Frog series; basically another fairy tale rewriter that adds a lot of humor and more plot

Patricia Briggs- modern fantasy writer whose work features werewolves, vampires, fae (European magical creatures), Native American mythology and so much more; genres are usually action, suspense, and romance wub.gif

Gerald Morris- rewrote the tales of King Arthur; my favorite of his is The Princess and the Dung-Cart Knight

Terry Pratchett- author of the Discworld series; awesome beyond compare cool.gif

Robin McKinley- rewrites the classic tales like Beauty and the Beast and Sleeping Beauty as well as many others

Christopher Paolini (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr!)

E. E. Knight (Age of Fire series)

Brent Weeks (half way through the first book of his Night Angels series and I'm already entranced)

I don't really know who my favourite author is, but some are:

Agatha Christie: any detective novel.

Jude Watson: I specially enjoyed reading the Jedi Apprentice stories.

Tom Clancy: Jack Ryan series.

Robert Ludlum: any thriller.

Vince Flynn: Mitch Rapp series.

John le Carré: George Smiley series.

Oh my... I have read so many different books by so many different authors, I can't pick just one favorite. But here are some who have impressed me greatly and their books that impressed me:

~Brandon Sanderson: the Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarians series. Some of the funniest books I have EVER read. Each chapter has its own little rambling intro which turns out to actually be relevant, and I was constantly laughing out loud. These books are great for anyone who wants a clean laugh and a lot of adventure.

~Brandon Mull: the Fablehaven series, now finished, and the Beyonders series, of which only the first book has been released (A World Without Heroes). Both kids/young adult fantasy series. Fablehaven is about siblings Kendra and Seth who stumble upon a world of wildlife preserves for magical creatures. Beyonders tells the story of two kids, Jason and Rachel, who accidentally travel to a medieval world under the dictatorial rule of a dark sorcerer, and their quest to discover a magic word that will destroy said sorcerer. I love Brandon Mull's writing--it's clean, adventurous, creative, and he knows how to yank the rug out from under your feet with completely unexpected plot twists.

~Jonathan Stroud: The Bartimaeus Trilogy is another YA fantasy series that I love. It's narrated in turns by a magician and his servant the djinni Bartimaeus, who has a sharp wit and an endless supply of sarcasm. Bartinaeus' snide comments make these books very entertaining, and there is plenty of action, both magical and nonmagical.

I might be back with more author suggestions later, but this is all I have for now. wink.gif

Edited by MissVampire13

Ray Bradbury. His rockets/space/Mars short stories are brilliant.

Michael Scott: Does the "Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel" series. Look it up.