Skypool

The Hunger Games Movie

I loved the movie. but agree that key parts where missed out. They did not explain a few things enough. Had to explain to my partner lots of questions he had about what went on in the film. So just gave him the book and he was like ooooooooh i get it! lol

I think they didnt make it clear that katniss did not actually love him.

But as far as a film of Hunger Games goes, I rather enjoyed it. It was helped by the fact I had already read the books so understood it. But over all a rather kool film biggrin.gif

I am sort of sad that we missed out on a few details. 11's bread was lost on us. I loved the movie, though.

I understand that you have to take out some details when making a book into a movie, but they took out quite a bit. The camera was really annoying with all the quick-cuts and shakiness. It was still a pretty good movie overall (I loved Haymitch). biggrin.gif

Cinna was described as having pale skin, and Rue and Thresh were described as having dark skin.

I can understand Lenny Kravitz for a Cinna (as in, an alternate version of the character), but he just doesn't fit the role. Supposedly he was cast as Cinna just because he was a good, caring character in Precious, which also makes no sense.

QFT

I can't see Lenny Kravitz as Cinna at all. That annoyed me.

It's interesting seeing what other fans made of it!

(Book spoilers ahead for anyone who hasn't read them yet!)

Casting wise, I was unhappy at first, especially with Gale and Peeta, but once I saw the film I actually thought they were pretty good. Although when I go back and read the books it's not Liam Hemsworth and Josh Hutcherson I picture, I think it's like soupnazi said, they make a good version, rather than becoming the version you'd always see. For me personally though, I can't stop picturing Lenny Kravitz as Cinna now, his slick 'coolness' was perfect for me :x

Story changes... I actually liked. It's difficult when adapting books into TV and film and it's great that they didn't butcher the story that much to fit the time frame. The only thing I was quite disappointed in was that the muttations weren't the tributes, but I did like how they weren't 'wolf' like creatures but proper 'mutts' if that makes any sense?

I can also live with the fact that Peeta's kept his leg, the Capitol were so fancy with that in the book that the fake one wouldn't especially be needed in the film xd.png

I'll be interested to see how Madge will be incorporated (if even in it at all) for the next film, she's soooorta important? Maybe? I'unno.

Silly thing I didn't like. The parade costumes, they needed more fiiiiire.

And I think others will disagree with me, but a film like this really needed more blood. I'm not talking 300/Sweeney Todd blood, but making it more graphic to show that what's going on is truly dreadful, but I can understand why it is the way it is due to the rating (Director's Cut for DVD maybe?).

Finally, this has become much longer than I thought it would be lol, is that I think that the ending needed to be so much more... grave? I mean, I don't think they emphasised that what happened in the arena was SUPER BAD. But hey, they could be doing that on purpose to make Catching Fire more shocking. Again, who knows xd.png It hasn't stopped me buying a Mockingjay pin, that's for sure!

Edited by WinterOsprey

Just saw The Hunger Games for the first time. The movie was honestly better than I thought it would be, given how amazing the book was and how hard a few critics were hitting it.

I totally saw missing details, though. Like how the medicine Rue gave Katniss was just leaves put over the stings. Didn't Rue chew those up and spit those out in the book? But anyway, the movie was very good, and I cried. Very hard. During certain parts.

And I will say; When Katniss was covering Rue with the flowers, I had a wtf moment. In Kentucky, we call those white flowers you see in the movie 'stinkweed'.

I saw Katniss covering Rue in those and I was like, "Katniss. What're you doing?? o-o"

TL;DR: I give the movie 4.5 out of 5 stars. I was surprised at how good it was, for what it was.

Cinna was described as having pale skin, and Rue and Thresh were described as having dark skin.

Anyone got a quote and page number for Cinna?

'Cause I honestly don't recall his skin color being described. I always pictured him being pretty swarthy.

tyto_alba - The white flowers? That was Queen Anne's Lace. I've never heard it called stinkweed... I didn't think it really had much of a smell.

Edited by Stromboli

tyto_alba - The white flowers? That was Queen Anne's Lace. I've never heard it called stinkweed... I didn't think it really had much of a smell.

It used to grow rampant around my house. It stunk. Badly. Thus everyone in the house (and most of my family, plus a few other people in the area) called it stinkweed. I've never known it by any other name.

I just saw The Hunger Games last night and I have to say it was a lot better than I thought it would be. I did flick through the books [that arrived JUST before we left to see the movie in the evening] so it was a little predictable although not really fair since I read a bit.

They did miss out a few bits here and there [ahem, I obviously didn't read the back before I read the front happy.gif] like Peeta's coldness to Katniss at the very end in the book x.x" And there were quite a few sad bits but no one was crying so I had to choke on my popcorn instead and say I was crying of that.

Camera, I admit, was a little shaky, especially in the parts where the Tributes are actually fighting and all I could see was greenery. Maybe the cameraman was scared himself xd.png

I thought the movie could of been better. Its not the casting that bothered me, they were perfect, it was the things they left out. Like Katniss's prep crew, Madge, and the dead tributes as the mutts.

Also, it was hard to focus sometimes because they moved the camera way to much. Even when two people are having a conversation, they shake the camera around.

My thoughts exactly!

The problem with having everything from the book in the movie, though, is that the movie would have to be multiple hours long, it would get fairly boring, and there would have to be a lot of explaining for the people who haven't read the book.

The camera thing... I agree. I starting having a headache halfway through the movie because my eyes were going crossed.

Overall, I think it was an amazing movie, even though it wasn't to my liking. :-)

I liked the movie, it was pretty true to the book. But there's only so much they could have put in in order for the plotline to be moving in that 2 and a half hour movie time frame. I was also a bit frazzled by the camera movements, but I got used to it after a while.

Madge wasn't all that important anyway, and revealing the mutts with the tribute's features would have been tricky. That part of the movie was supposed to be face paced and panicky, so there wasn't a whole lot of time to squat down and examine the mutts to figure out the connection. Besides, I don't think a whole lot of people would have understood it without some sort of voice over monologue from Katniss.

Overall, my impression is that since its far too expensive to create a movie hours long to incorporate everything in the book, they kept whatever was big and super important to the story that also would keep it rather uniform so that all the additional details didn't confuse the heck out of everyone who hadn't read the book prior.

I couldn't imagine anyone not loving this movie! Lol

But I already understand about how you can't add too many details in the movie so it won't be too long...but some things could of been explained better

Anyone got a quote and page number for Cinna?

'Cause I honestly don't recall his skin color being described. I always pictured him being pretty swarthy.

That's exactly what I was wondering, I don't believe there's any mention of Cinna's complexion. At all. While on the other hand, both Rue and Thresh were described as dark skinned.

Well, I always imagined Cinna as an African American. It just seems to fit, and I think Lenny Kravitz did a PERFECT job on him. It seemed like the role was made just for him!

As for Josh Hutcherson as Peeta: Yes, they could of done better. Peeta is curly haired anyway! But for the acting part, Josh did a good job. Could of been better, but it was a good job

Anyway, when I was watching the movie, I sorta had a feeling that Seneca had a special little thing for Katniss. Anybody else think that?

SO SO SO SO GOOD. JUST... AMAZING. <3<3<3 *total thg fanatic*

I thought Jennifer Lawrence did a really good job as Katniss. Josh Hutcherson was terrible IMO. >.< Rue was... perfect. So was Cinna. c: AND HAYMITCH. I LOVE HAYMITCH. <3

What do people think of the director walking out for Catching Fire? o:

I can't believe he won't be returning..... The first movie was so good.

Does anyone know potential Catching Fire directors?

What do people think of the director walking out for Catching Fire? o:

Wait, what? O_e sad.gif

First movie was so good. Hope the next director will be just as good, s/he's got a lot to surpass.

@happyseagull Not sure about the next director, I'm stalking THG's Twitter account and the cast's Twitter accounts to see if there's anything xd.png

I liked the movie, but I wad quite annoyed at some of the bits they left out. Peeta losing his leg, for example, and having to get an artificial one or whatever, That probably isn't so important for the other books, though.

I didn't really like the wolfy mutt things at the end (whatever you want to call them) and I would have liked to see what they looked like in the movie with the mutts actually looking like/being the tributes.

I was annoyed at how Katniss got the mockingjay pin, it was completely different from the book.

I was also annoyed that Katniss didn't go deaf in one ear after the explosion (or they just didn't mention it). That part is sort of important for the second book, when Katniss knows how to break the barrior thingys. She says that it was because of the artificial ear hearing thingy or whatever that she got from the capitol so that she could her from both ears again.

So, as you probably noticed if you bothered to actually read all that, I had a few little problems with the movie, but, all together, it was a lot better than I expected, and no where near as confusing or as rushed as I though it would be.

Finally saw the movie. It was great but not the OMG SO MOTHEREFFING GREAT!!!

I don't think they did too bad with the movie. I REALLY love the Seneca scenes they added even though they weren't in the books; it added a little more interest to his character and set it up for the next gamemaker. It shows how careful they have to be.

Omg, Peeta loses a leg in the book? o-o

He got it replaced, since the mighty Cato struck his leg really hard wink.gif At least, that's what I think unsure.gif

I believe Francis Lawrence has been offered the job to direct Catching Fire now ._.

BEST MOVIE EVAR!!!!

I lov teh bit wen peple die!

Did anyone see Foxfaces face when she bumped into katniss at the bloodbath?

RIP (22 Ppl....)

Omg, Peeta loses a leg in the book? o-o

Yep. In the book, they don't get magical medicine that turns a bone-deep wound into a scratch overnight. They get an injection of something that takes care of the infection, but the wound doesn't fully heal. Katniss ends up having to put a tourniquet on it to keep him from bleeding to death, but it also kills his leg...