Sign in to follow this  
Zovesta

TV Tropes

I'm off to open another ten tabs.

Perhaps we should have a Wiki-Walk game, chose a film/TV series and we post where we end up after ten clicks.

Description Cut to... Long List. Involved passing through Doctor Who biggrin.gif

It has added to my analytic skills, I used to just leave my brain at the door when watching movies or reading but now I constantly pull the little things apart and label them according to TVTropes jargon.

This this this this this!

I speak in tropes too. It's really funny because I do it to people who have no idea. I have failed to get them addicted, and I am disappoint.

Why Don't You Marry It?

Maybe you should marry that thing since you love it so much. Do you want to marry it? WELL I WON'T LET YOU! How does that feel?"

— GLaDOS, Portal

Why don't they marry safe science if they love it so much?

— Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Well. This is the part where he kills us.

Hello! This is the part where I kill you.

Chapter 9: The Part Where He Kills You.

Achievement Unlocked: The Part Where He Kills You (Description: This is that part)*

*If you don't get it... this is the part where he kills you.

Edited by aquamarine__

(16) *pokes DarkEternity*

I've been addicted to TVTropes lately. I keep reading it when I should be doing work.

xDDD Sometimes, I'm very glad I found TV Tropes. It's helped me to recognize and analyze (and then begin laughing at) the appearances of tropes in every form of media I encounter.

Other times... not so much. Particularly when I have an important project or test coming up and I just CANNOT. GET. OFF. the website. Soooo addicting...

HELP MEEEE, IM READING TVTROPES AND IM DROWNING IN FUNNY

Fact- Portal is, in fact, a fountain of memes.

I can make jokes about this site ALL! FREAKING! DAY!

/dies

(But mostly Department of Redundancy Department jokes.)

I was thinking about naming one of my dragons after a trope... oh, but what?

P:

This site is the best thing ever. /spazz

I think I'm going to try their plot generator (or just spaz around the random button) for writing ideas, possibly for NaNo.

I think I'm going to try their plot generator (or just spaz around the random button) for writing ideas, possibly for NaNo.

After reading TV Tropes the first time, I decided to turn one of my RP charas completely Genre Savvy. Given he's in an X-Men style RPG, you can imagine the fun I had describing every event in Tropespeak.

I've had a bit of a falling out with TVTropes... mostly because in the past year it's gotten to be a bit too serious and a lot of the humor has been cut as "natter" even if it was a comment that was basically an in-joke, plus, some pages have had edit wars because two groups of people demand the other side to do research to back up their claims, but DON'T provide research of their claim at all. Other than that, some of the most annoying people have to be the ones that undo edits if someone changes their contributions (like grammar, makes the point more succinct, changes "subversion" to "inversion" because the wrong term was used). Just... why would you undo something that improves the coherency of the page?

Also SPOON. They can go away at any time. They've been killing some of the great trope names (who cares if not everyone knows the reference, that's half the fun of reading the trope description and seeing what the trope namer was). Maybe I wouldn't hate them as much if the guy who had the final say (AKA the founder) didn't agree with SPOON almost every time (unless it's a trope name that he likes or actually named himself, then it's offlimits)

Plus the fact that they got upset that people were using IJBM to censorkip.gif* about series when they killed the sections MEANT to be used to rant about series (because we can't have opinions on sites without someone getting in a fight), and renamed it Headscratchers, with people constantly deleting entries because people state fridge logic and then at the end put something like "was the author/director on drugs when they did this?" (under grounds that the user was was hating on a show for no reason). Plus, what makes this worse is that IJBM gets cut and is strictly monitored, but WMG, the cesspool of TVTropes which usually has no less than 10 theories of "X Character is a Time Lord" is left untouched, and deleting entries is seen as bad. At least be consistent. If someone in WMG can say "X Author hates the fandom. His next book will be a picture of his censorkip.gif." then why can't IJBM discuss how someone is frustrated with an author for relying on deus ex machinas that have no explanation and damage existing canon?

One more thing... I really just don't like how boring the site can be at times now. There's no hilarious comments left behind, or snarky quotes in reference to tropes or anything that really made me fall in love with the site. I enjoy the tropes as much as the next guy, but when you make trope pages read like grocery lists rather than a collection of quirky oddball descriptions (How DOES she spin her wrist like that?) contributed by people who just have fun doing it... It's boring. If I want to just learn, I can spend hours on The Other Wiki. I spend time on TVTropes because it's NOT The Other Wiki, and it's supposed to not take itself as serious as The Other Wiki. But lately, it just feels like it's turned into a bitter old grump that reminises about the good old days and hates any of the "younguns" trying to have fun...

Is there a Trope for when TVTropes Ruins Itself?

I still poke around for... a few hours at a time... but it's easier to walk away from, and it's less fun than it used to be... :/

Does anyone else that's been on the site for over a year feel the same way?

-K-

TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Vocabulary -- THIS IS SO TRUE.

I just used three trope names in a conversation this morning when explaining MlP: Friendship is Magic to a friend. *facepalming*

I LOVE TV Tropes. I can't visit this website without staying on it and clicking on different tropes for hours on end. IT'S LIKE A DRUG. *o*

It's also very good for writing since it shows you what NOT to do. LOL

I just used three trope names in a conversation this morning when explaining MlP: Friendship is Magic to a friend. *facepalming*

I used 'Your Mileage May Vary' a few posts back in one of the debate threads.

Oh man. TV Tropes is great but dangerously addictive. I haven't been on it in a while since when ever I do go there I end up with 20+ tabs open.

This.

I'm using tropes in everyday conversations now. People no longer know what I am taking about.

This.

I'm using tropes in everyday conversations now. People no longer know what I am taking about.

Amerylis has never visited Tropes, but whenever I read it I tell her all about it - so she understands Tropes at the least. It's the kindest thing to do...

I once stayed up all night on this website.

It's so addicting, and once you start reading YOU NEVER ESCAAAPE xd.png

Good lord, TV Tropes. How can so much addictive awesome be packed into a single site?

Vocabulary. Ruined. At least I can keep myself sticking to the self-explanatory ones, like "Action Girl" and such. Otherwise people get confused.

Sign in to follow this