AlwaysGone

Backstory!

So, as of yesterday, I put my Portal 2 roleplay on pause for updates between myself and Dr. Paine. So, here's the place for me to write core backstories. I have 3 cores I didn't use, and trust me, you're going to meet all of them. First up is...

Panic: The First Day  It was the first and only time she felt calm. Then THEY plugged her in. So many fears! Her eye dilated back and forth as she got used to her surroundings. A group of scientists stood around her in a circle, murmuring about something. One of them spoke up. “How do you feel?” It took her a moment to answer. “Afraid,” she said, trying to get away from them. It was difficult, however, as she was in a metal sphere, and she had no means of propulsion. “Good.” They picked her up by the handles sticking out from above and below her—it took only a moment to discover the word and color—Peridot-colored ocular and carried her into a larger room. There was a large piece of machinery hanging from the ceiling by a few hundred thick wires. She knew that the machine was some form of death trap for her, and the knowledge alone scared her. Her vision blurred and blinked out for a moment, and when she came back online, the machine had turned to face her. She gasped with shock and almost began screaming. But then the thing spoke, and she was scared into silence.

“Another one?” The thing—which she had discovered was probably female—said in an impatient tone. “It’s not going to work. This thing—“ She took that in offense, “—is obviously weak. If you’re brave, you can collect her body in a week.” Unfazed by the brave talk, the scientists carried her—now screaming—towards a single wire sticking out of the horrible thing. They plugged her into it and started walking away.

“So you mean I’m going to be afraid for the rest of my life?” She already knew the answer, and it was worse coming from the large machine she was now hooked up to.  “Yes. After all, that’s your only purpose, Panic.”

So, just a 315-word quick little thing on the first time Panic was powered up. I wrote this when I was bored and half-asleep. I only just noticed how fail it is.

Critiques greatly appreciated!! I'll do anything to be better...

Looks good ^^ I'm guessing some of the lines were from GLaDOS? They looked pretty true to form, and believe me, it is hard to write her properly...

I'm quite interested in what goes on next ^^

Looks good ^^ I'm guessing some of the lines were from GLaDOS? They looked pretty true to form, and believe me, it is hard to write her properly...

I'm quite interested in what goes on next ^^

Thanks! Getting GlaDOS's attitude right involved a lot of listening to wavs of her voice. xd.png

Praise about Portal-related original work from you is probably the best there can be. I'll work on more when I'm not on my phone…

I wasn't sure if this one would break my last word count. 340. That's how many words I used. I'm trying to use more words with every backstory. I also don't think I managed to capture GlaDOS as well as last time, but I tried. And that's all that matters.

Anyway.

Without further ado, I present:

The OCD Core

She knew it was harmless. But, OH GOD, it was hard to look at! Her bright, baby blue ocular flitted back and forth. It, GlaDOS, it, GlaDOS, and back again. She was going to scream if something wasn’t done. Just staring at it was enough to cause her pain. After a few tense minutes, GlaDOS spoke up.

“If it bothers you so much, you can fix it yourself, you know. You weren’t created to be helpless.” GlaDOS let down a claw and gave it to her. However, the moment she tried to use the claw to ever-so-gently push the wire back into place, GlaDOS stole the claw from her and yanked the wire out as far as it would go without breaking it. “See if that shuts you up.” She muttered, going back to her test subjects. At first, it did shut her up. Then she started panicking. “PUTITBACKPUTITBACKPUTITBACKPUTITBACKPUTITBACKPUTITBACKPUTITBACKPUTITBACKPUTITBACKPUTITBACK!!” She repeated the short string of words again and again until GlaDOS cut off her voice feed. 

“You’re so annoying. It’s a wire; it’s not going to kill you. Although, the end of it could if you don’t be quiet.” She followed the wire with her optic until it stopped at GlaDOS. She took the hint and ignored the wire for as long as possible. But it kept pushing into her mind.

It was there.

She could feel it.

It was piercing her artificial soul with its very presence.

She didn’t want GlaDOS to take her anger out on anything important inside her casing. She would have to rearrange it again. And again. And again, until it was perfect.

But then it wouldn’t be. And she would rearrange it until she was satisfied. Then she would short-circuit, and she would have to rearrange herself again.

It was a vicious cycle that chased itself around in circles. She had to make sure they were circles. Perfect circles.

Or else she would have to fix it. Everything had to be perfect.

After all, that was the only reason an OCD Personality Core existed.

Once again, critiques greatly appreciated!

Aww. I wonder how she's gonna be towards ADD...*imagines a lot of yelling*

Ahem. Great piece of writing. It's hard to depict GLaDOS's personality, but you've got it down-pat! ^^

Aww. I wonder how she's gonna be towards ADD...*imagines a lot of yelling*

Ahem. Great piece of writing. It's hard to depict GLaDOS's personality, but you've got it down-pat! ^^

Thanks. This felt worse than last time, but if you think I got her right...

About ADD...She'll probably do a lot of potato-related threatening. I wouldn't know, as I'm not playing her.

One more core! I'll get to that today.

Okay, my brain officially sucks.

I went to look at various cores on YouTube and forgot what personality my third core was going to be.

AND IT'S BEEN DAYYYYYYYYYS!!! -rolls around on the floor muttering incoherently-

Anyway, requests for a personality are now being accepted.

And then I'll do a whole bunch of cores.

And...

Stuff.

Hm... there's been theories that GLaDOS has a so called 'Composing/Music Core', or something to that effect, that's responsible for her songs. Do eet? biggrin.gif

Here it is. 375 words. I could have written more, but I thought it would start out simple. Here it is:

The Music Core She was humming. Again. Even though she could feel GlaDOS’s mild annoyance at her songs, she felt content when she composed. And when GlaDOS sang in her sweet, milky voice, she couldn’t help but be happy. GlaDOS often contributed to her songs, and as they were working together, the songs pulled together. There was one problem.

She couldn’t speak.

She was designed to make the tune and GlaDOS to put the words in. She wouldn't use words to speak; she could only communicate through the tone of the song. She could never tell GlaDOS how she felt. How she felt like a family. Sometimes she would hum a sort of love song to GlaDOS, but it always went unnoticed. GlaDOS was too busy with her human to understand. Her black-and-white ocular looked down in sadness as she watched the powerful AI run Chell through the tests. It was her turn to do something for Chell. GlaDOS would never notice she was gone. 

She hacked into the turret control and started typing in notes. She knew GlaDOS wouldn’t like this, but it was her token to Chell. It would be her last moment before she would never be used again. It was a fact; GlaDOS wouldn’t need her after Chell was gone. The robots didn’t appreciate her songs. GlaDOS did. GlaDOS liked her. She had a soft spot for the core, how she could turn a simple exchanging of words into a beautiful composition. It was unnatural, actually. She had never seen GlaDOS in a better mood than she was when listening to the notes. But GlaDOS didn’t show it easily. She would put on a strong face and pretend to be annoyed by the constant singing, but the fact was, she never did anything to stop it. It was her favorite part of the day, when the moon had risen and a few notes started, running off into something beautiful and sweet.  GlaDOS’s two favorites were the ones she had sung to Chell. They had different names than GlaDOS had used, and the words were different. No one knew the true words to the songs GlaDOS had entitled ‘Still Alive’ and ‘Want You Gone’ except for one person.

And the Music Core certainly wasn’t telling.

Edited by AlwaysGone

Oh mah god.

I really like these short stories and I was wondering if you were planning on doing more.

Oh mah god.

I really like these short stories and I was wondering if you were planning on doing more.

Of course! Do you have a core in mind?

Also, I drew the music core! Music Core

*Whistles* I am impressed. Nice job, keep up the good work!

Edit: Pssst - Click me, portal fan!

Edited by digipup

I'm thinking about joining the RP when it's unpaused so I made this.

Oh my god that picture. I want to freak somebody out with that.

That's actually pretty good! I'd like to see you in the Roleplay when Dr. Paine and I finish it up.

Any requests for cores?

Umm...how much would it cost if I asked you to write a backstory for ADD?

You have to tell three people to come read these.

I'll get started!

Cool music core o.o ... can I change my character to her instead of the Memory Core when the rp is back? (... and I swear I am still writing, I've just been a little under the weather the past few days x3)

Yeah, that would be fine.

I would like to get the Roleplay up before I go to camp and am cut off from society for a week.

Edited by AlwaysGone

That song is so hauntingly beautiful o.o

Especially around 0:40.

*sniff* It's...beautiful. ;3

Slightly off-topic, but whatever happened to the RP? *shot for impatience*

Dr. Paine and I are putting another one together. Don't panic(Going to type it: LOL, my core, I'm such a kipping hypocrite), it will live on.